Today on CNN Newsroom

September 18th, 2011

Anneliese MacPhail Speaks Out

Convicted cop killer Troy Davis is scheduled to be executed Wednesday, despite serious questions about his guilt. Georgia's Pardons and Paroles Board votes on Davis' clemency petition Monday. He's has no legal appeals left.

The the mother of Mark MacPhail, the police officer Davis is convicted of killing, tells T.J. Holmes why she is not swayed by an outpouring of support to spare Davis' life.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Grace

My heart breaks for Mrs. MacPhail. I agree why did the the people who testified against Mr. Davis change their story after 17 years? I think TJ could have been more thoughtful in his interview of Mrs. MacPhail.

September 18, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  2. Brenda

Unfortunately, it has been 20 years and we do not know enough to make a judgement about guilt or innocence. I agree with Mrs. MacPhail that waiting 17 years to recant is simply ridiculous. When this man dies, they need to understand what they said 20 years ago encouraged the sentence that was ultimately carried out. I hope peace comes to all in the days ahead.

September 20, 2011 at 9:18 am |
  3. Henry

She asks why people start doing something for Troy Davis now... I'm 13 years old. I did not know about it before now.
    If it is not a clear evidence no one should die. Killing Troy Davis won't bring her son back, it will just break the hearts of another family. Just my opinion about it.

September 20, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
  4. DaveNYUSA

Wonder how many lives the cop knowingly ruined before he was stopped.

September 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  5. Mo

Anneliese Macphail said Troy Davis is guilty. My queation is...how in the hell does she know??? I got news for this old lady that unfortunately lost her son, after they execute Troy Davis your son will still be dead in a grave. Live with that.

September 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  6. Bjorn

Why does the execution mean anything to her? The Person who killed her son will likely still be out there somewhere, her son won't be back, she is co-responsible for the death of another, most likely innocent person, she might realize she wasted 20 years of her life and the life of her family members with the process. Still one has to be honestly sorry for her but I do not understand why people act this way, not at all. It is also a shame to use the word "justice" for anything that has something to do with this case.

September 20, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  7. Annalisa

Mrs. McPhail, bitte, with an eye for an eye, the whole world will be blind. He has already served many years for the death of your beloved husband, but he continues to claim his innocence. What satisfaction can you take from another death?

September 20, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
  8. jadeix

If there is reasonable doubt, the sentence should be commuted.

September 21, 2011 at 8:40 am |
  9. tensor

My thoughts are with all the victims' families – Davis shot 2 men and pistol whipped a homeless man that night.

September 21, 2011 at 9:29 am |
  10. Edwina Evans

I have been a grief counselor for 15 years. Healing involves forgiveness and compassion. The McPhail family has held on to anger for 20 years thus blocking the real work of grief. It seems they can't consider the wrong man may be excuted as the anger they have had towards Davis has consumed much of their heart. One would think they would have some compassion for the Davis family, especially his mother. The peace the McPhail family anticipates feeling may, in time, turn to regret. I feel sorrow for them but evn more sorrow for the Davis family and the fact that quite possibly an innocent man will be executed. Shame on the parole board that they won't all ow the new evidence to be evaluted. What cold hearts and small minds they must have.

September 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  11. Leni

Davis is no innocent, he was convicted of a shooting that same night as the murder, he was with Coles harassing and pistol whipping the homeless guy. His bloody shorts where found in his clothes dryer the night of the murder, that evidence was thrown out of court on a technicality....he's guilty of either the shooting or of setting up the scene with his partner in crime "Red" Coles. Live by the sword, die by the sword.....sometimes we create our own karma and Davis definitely did!

September 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
  12. Jen

If there is so much doubt about this man's innocence then executing him is just plain wrong.

September 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Henry Small

Doubt, how much is enough ? how much doubt is need to save a life ? I believe that before a person is put to death, there should be no doubt. Once the person is dead, it can't be undone. Are all of those pushing for his death, willing to live the rest of their lives not really knowing the truth ? it seems that we don't put much value on life anymore.

September 21, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Noble

He didn't do it.

September 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  15. rell

I cant imagine months or years from now, we find out he is not guilty... will she still have this closure.. taking his life will never bring back her son's life. Its funny how she says she didnt go because she gets no satisfaction. if that was the case she wouldnt have let them take this mans life.. its sad really.. because they really had doubts.. nothing concrete.. well I pray..

September 21, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
  16. Cheryl

May God have mercy on Mrs. MacPhail's soul, though she has shown none for anyone else.

September 21, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
  17. Angelica

I am sorry for her loss, but she is not doing her son any justice by condoning the death of an innocent man. That is why she did not attend the execution. Spite and prejudice are not a way to get justice.

September 21, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  18. jason

I hope Anneliese MacPhail doesn't feel redemption for this execution. If there is a question what do we have to lose??? He is still locked up. Why?????

September 21, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  19. julie

I hope the best for Mrs. McPhail. And I hope this gives her closure...however, its a shame that any person gives 20+ years for such a cause...whoever killed your son WON....whether it was Davis or not...its a shame

September 21, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  20. LEA JONES

To Anneliese MacPhail I am sorry for your lost but put yourself in the shoes of the Davis family... If there was any inch of doubt that your child was innocent you would have wanted him pardoned. For you to say that "This delay, again, is very upsetting and I think very unfair to us." or that "I'd like to close this book," Is just a big of a crime as the murder of your son and I hope that God has mercy on your soul on judgement day.

If he is indeed innocent I hope that his name is cleared b/c although Mrs. Macphail says she would never get closure but still pushed for this mans execution clearing TROY DAVIS name may give his family and him some in his eternal resting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am appalled at the injustice that prevails and is so accepted in this so called "LAND OF THE FREE" more and more each day!

September 22, 2011 at 12:15 am |
  21. Shammy

What a sad state of affairs. How can the Supreme Court uphold executions in this day and age? Very archaic and sadly tagic.

September 22, 2011 at 12:29 am |
  22. DANETTE CHAVIS

The only thing most of you were right about is the 20 years this man was in prison for this crime! The rest are your assumptions based on lack of knowledge. These witnesses did not "suddenly recant" their testimony it occurred "long ago" throughout the years of the attorneys continual investigating and fighting for the release of Troy Davis. The witnesses are not the "only ones" who expressed "doubt" concerning his "guilt" the "prosecutor" as well as "the judge" expressed doubt concerning his guilt! For the past several years, the attorneys had been fighting to "present all this evidence" in court. Evidence to prove the "coercion" of those witnesses, evidence that knowledge of the "real killer" was made known to them – but rejected, among other things. For 20 years that man sat in prison while his attorneys fought, but then the they went ahead "scheduled a date" in which to execute him! So many NOW for the first time are just "hearing about the case, because of the "all out effort" to save his life! They asked for clemency based upon the law – which should of been granted due to the substantial amount of "doubt" concerning his guilt. It was hoped, that at the very "least" a "stay" of execution would be given to enable them to prove "once and for all his "innocence". After sitting in jail for 20 years, would it have killed them to at least "hear" the evidence that could possible prevent the taking of life from one who is innocent? I too, lost a son and I understand that pain and the need for closure. But if "Troy Davis" is innocent and I believe he is, then she herself has been made a victim of the system! For she trusted and believe them that Troy Davis "killed her son" and for 20 years everything she felt concerning the murderer of her son, was placed on "Him". You cannot expect her to "switch gears" and focus on someone else as the murderer – without "devastating her" all over again. So she herself has been "victimized" as well as "deceived". The most truest statement I read on this thread is the fact, that the "killing of Troy Davis" shall not bring back her son Nor do any of the things she imagines it will. Yet, two men are dead and what has it brought? Certainly not "Justice"!

September 22, 2011 at 2:21 am |
  23. carolien

Shame on you, Mrs McPhail, the doubt is real, two deaths too and one by your fault. God bless you.

September 22, 2011 at 5:52 am |
  24. Tess Hederson

vengeance is not ours but Gods. and i pray that even if he did kill the man, and the MacPhail family could not forgive him even after 20 years, i pray non of them nor their family member is accused rightly or wrongly for any crime.
    Would they ever say the words "please forgive me to anybody" in this world or even after ... we do not give life and it is not up to us to take it. God is our judge.

For those of us who believe in his innocence, we can say it is better because he knew his end was coming and prepared for it. God says we must thank him in all things. he knows best even though our hearts grieve.

September 22, 2011 at 8:03 am |
  25. Paul

Killing a man will bring the lady "peace?" Such a statement goes to the heart of what is wrong with an America that clutches desperately at the idea of revenge killing, aka the death penalty. America, steeped as it is in religion, remains a sad example of infantile thinking about crime and punishment. I am very glad to live in a more modern country.

September 22, 2011 at 8:46 am |
  26. Gloria Boles

I Pray that this mother will be able to look at her comments on television and here the hatred that is in her, and forgive before she dies. I also pray that they too will want to know the truth about what happen. Here is a man who claimed his innocence till his death, and yet you rejoice over it. Forgive so that you can be forgiven. I would hate to imagine how you will fell if this man is proven innocent. Revenge is mine saith the Lord; I shall repay.

September 22, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  27. Gloria Boles

As I sat and watched the scene outside of the prison last night, it reminded me of the sixties when people were peacefully protesting. They were met by police officers in full riot gear. Last night they forgot the water hoses and the dogs. They stood ready to attack innocent, peaceful people. Shame on you United States of America. SHAME ON YOU!!!

September 22, 2011 at 11:39 am |
  28. Sunny378

To Henry (Killing Troy Davis won't bring her son back, it will just break the hearts of another family.) You are very young. My opinion is that Troy Davis probably broke his family's hearts a long time ago.

September 22, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  29. Guilty as Charged!

Evidence at the time of his trial showed Davis to be a violent, dangerous murderer. Balistics and witnesses showed he shot and almost killed another man over exchange of mere words. The MacPhail families are victims as well, and could never be responsible for the justice that was carried out. I cannot understand that so many do not have faith in a fair trial, and the outpouring of support for this man who was found guilty of murdering a man who served his country as an army ranger and police officer, a hero. If I was Mrs. MacPhail, I'd have wanted to flip the switch myself.

September 22, 2011 at 11:59 am |
  30. n1311fan

why is it that all the churchies in this country always forget the bible verse "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone" .

September 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm |