Today on CNN Newsroom

February 23rd, 2012

Nine-Year-old's "running" death

Brooke Baldwin talks to a sheriff's department spokeperson about the death of nine-year-old Savannah Hardin in Alabama. The girl's stepmother and grandmother are charged with murder in the case. Allegedly, the pair made Savannah run around the house for hours as punishment for lying about eating a candybar. Authorities say Savannah ran the equivalent of a marathon without water and suffered severe dehydration.

Post by:
Filed under: #WeCanDoBetter • Brooke Baldwin
  1. Daniel Holt

This was Despicable, and my Heart go's out to the Father who took eight flights to get home to Alabama where his daughter was on life support and died.. what Saddens me, if wasn't... what this women done enough, is she has giving Birth to a new baby.

February 24, 2012 at 11:15 am |
  2. tom weaver

I 'm in disbelief to hear of this very sad news,of Savanna Hardin.Just only 9 years of age,being forced to run to her death.Does anybody knows why any human,can inflict such punishment to a child,let alone a grand child,a daughter,.A poor girl that sure did not ever cause harm of any nature to anybody on this earth, to have her life taken away,bye MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE.There is without any mental resevation,that I say this is MURDER in the first degree.I'm sure to make her run for just the first few minutes of this torturess mean,she was scared has HELL,only to be told "MOVE IT,MOVE IT" ,over and over until she colasped.For the grand mother,and step mother,this should be a capital crime,and this step mother was about to give birth to a baby.I pray for that newborn,I hope somebody out there can save this baby,because her mother,is not a mother.I'm a person of 55 years old,never had any childeren,but I have alot of nieces and nephews,and when ever in my days I have the pleasure to meat some young kid in this world,I treat them with the atmost respect,like i treat my elders.This hurts,to hear of this sad story."SAVANNA YOU CAN REST NOW,YOUR HOME"

February 25, 2012 at 1:55 am |
  3. hacker

I'm a father of a 3 year old and new born, yes my toddler acts up and I get frustrated but never have I EVER thought to punish them that way, I am a catholic but I'm sorry when you do harm to a child that there whole life depends on you is just saddening, I say fry them both!!!

February 25, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  4. kathy aubuchon

this is the most disgusting, heinous thing i have heard of, i hope they both get murder 1 for this crime. that poor girl suffered beyond and in her mother's and grandmother's hands over a "candy bar" mind you. have we all gone mad in this world, are we that demented in our heads that we do such crazy acts of punishment. did they really think she would't of collapsed at some point. they are complete morons. i hope they receive a punishment they deserve. jail time till they die. PIGS......

February 25, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
  5. Luis Cipher

I guess it was an effective punishment. Savanna will never lie about eating another candy bar ever again. Job well done grandma and step monster.

February 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  6. Scott

Let me guess – the frail stepmom and grandma are free?

February 28, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
  7. Jaylen Harrison

this is a very sad moment

February 29, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  8. Ami Patel

This is absolutely despicable-sure my mom would lose it if I stole a candy bar, but she'd NEVER run me to death.

These women are scourges to the names of mother and grandmother.

February 29, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
  9. Lora

Now, I am going to go out on a limb here, not to say that what the stepmother and grandmother did to this poor girl wasn't heinous, because it was absolutely so, but I have to wonder what would have possibly caused these two women to use this kind of punishment? For all the recent focus on childhood obesity and the government's ability to step in and remove children who they feel are at risk from parents who "allow" their children to gorge themselves to that state, it makes me wonder if that may have contributed to these women forcing this kind of idiotic punishment on that poor girl.

March 6, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  10. RasPutin

This is what happens when idiots breed. At least she didn't eat her young.

March 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
  11. shirley freeman

my heart breaks for that sweet little girl. how ungodly cruel! their punishment? that is easy! THE SAME THING! oh and i dont mean for a short distance. no no no i mean until they totally collapse or die!!!

March 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
  12. Roma Stewart

Make them run like she was made to, & I hope they know how she felt when asked to stop. Hope you ask God to forgive you. It i doesn't matter who it is, When anyone hurt children, do the same thing to them that was done to the child

March 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Cathy Yang

I feel so bad for her. Dying because of a candy bar.

March 21, 2012 at 6:35 pm |