Today on CNN Newsroom

March 16th, 2012

Raising questions about race and justice

An unarmed Florida teenager is gunned down. His shooter claims self defense. Suzanne Malveaux talks with radio host Michael Baisden

Post by:
Filed under: Suzanne Malveaux
  1. Doug Rodriguez

The fact that the victim was black and the shooter was white alone warrants the need for a thorough investigation because the prevailing social attitude is to be suspicious or paranoid of any 'minority' which can and often is interpreted as; if a suspect is a minority, shoot first; ask questions later. I don't know the facts, yet. But I suspect this white security guard relied on his biases to make a knee jerk decision and he made a fatal mistake or intentionally committed murder. I'll reserve judgement until all the facts are made public, if they ever are.

March 16, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  2. Cordelia Ritchie

Praying for this family because this is such sad injustice. Racism played a large part in my opinion and we must work to better our nation and world. We work to raise our young men to be good citizens yet others take their lives just because they don't like their skin color. May God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, give us the courage to change that which we can and the wisdom to know the difference.

March 16, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  3. Eunice Kendle Brown

I am very sadden th hear about this tragedy that could have been prevented. This country is experiencing a backlash in the worse way. Our young are dying at an alarming rate through vigilante justice and nothing is being done...not even a slap on the wrist. If we do not speak out about this kind of activity, it will continue. How many will have to die before we realize there is a problem. We are silent, when we need to let our freedom ring. The lynch mob has been replaced with the use of deadly force through guns and a license to carry. The law is still the law, no matter what. There must be some accountability and responsibilty for our actions when we take the law into our own hands. What has happen to the voice of the people?...Have we been asleep too long?...This giant of injustice will only demand more....can we afford to let this continue, as we carry on with other matters.

March 16, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  4. Mommy2

Social injustice and lack of simple humanity have proven just how culturally retarded many have become in this country. It's a terrible thing when your child can't go to the nearest candy store and make a purchase without the threat of harassment. However, there is nothing worst than knowing the justice system may turn a blind eye on the young and innocent victim. Not only have the child been made victim but, also his parents due to such heart wrenching circumstances. My heart burns for them.

I can only imagine how deep this situation have cut them all. This story should rip right into the hearts and minds of everyone who pay taxes for community protection as well. Forget race/culture for a moment. The question is; what would you do if it was your child and you were the parent? What approach would you take if a mere security guard violated then murdered your child? Would you just sit idolley by and allow matters to just sweep itself under the rug? What would you tell yourself or worst the child? You know, the teenager(your son or daughter) that you are now forced to bury? Let justice rein for all America! Deepest condolences and heartfelt sympathy to his family.

March 16, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
  5. Cheryl Martin

I am horrified by this story, not to mention very angry! My deepest condolences to the family of this poor young man. I cannot even imagine your pain. No parent should ever have to bury their child, and to have to under these circumstances is reprehensible! Your all in my thoughts and prayers. I pray to God that the animal responsible for this is brought to justice. I find it so interesting that a grown man was supposedly so afraid of this unarmed young man (so he claims) that he felt justified in shooting him? My interpretation of this whole tragedy is he is such a miserable racist he was out "hunting". Interesting that no one else saw him supposedly "looking thru windows." And to be perfectly honest even if he had been (which I seriously doubt) that is no reason to shoot somebody. If he had really been doing that then restrain him till the police got there. Stay in your car and observe till authorities got there. What was he even doing out of his car? I am wondering if he was the one doing something wrong and this poor young man saw him. Maybe he shot him to keep from getting caught doing something he wasn't suppose to be doing. No excuse for taking the law into your own hands, especially for something as trivial as allegedly peeping in windows.

March 16, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
  6. shirley

Eliminate Apartheid Living Conditions for African Americans in Alabama
    By Shirley Johnson
    How is it possible for the City of Satsuma (Mobile) Alabama to force an African American family to enter the back of their home. The family members were told that if they call the POLICE again about this matter, they would be arrested.
    The local, county, and state official, in addition to the FBI are aware of this APARTHIED situation, but refure to assist the family. How is this possible? This is 2012. The local news media refuses to publish the issue, and some of our national noted African American media voices refuse to listen to and/or expose this atrocity. WHY, I need an answer.

March 16, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
  7. woman Rising

I am hurting behind this situation for a number of reasons.
    1. black males are dying for all the wrong reasons.
    A. Black on black crime.
    B. un fair justice system.
    C the zimmermans of the USA.
    2. it's hard to see another mother grieving because her child was taken from her for no good reason and not wonder will I be in that mothers shoes next.
    3. I have two sons age 14 and 18 and I am scared to death for their lives. How can I expect them to be fair to all people in life when not all people are fair to them.?

March 18, 2012 at 7:06 am |
  8. Kimmi

I am completely disgusted with Florida. I mean come on they allow Casey Anthony to get away, and many others with killing kids, some state they are. Why can't we get justice for Trayvon!!!!! that audio hurt me to my heart. It reminds me of all the lynching that has happen to African American people and the many others that has gotten away with it.

America has no fairness

March 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  9. Paul

My question is how routine what is it for this young man that was shot to be walking in the neighborhood. Was he a resident? Did he walk that route often? If so, it seems the neighborhood watchman should have recognized him and realized he wasn't a threat.

March 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  10. Vivienne Willie

This man chased this child down and killed him, as he screamed and begged for his life. He is a racist based on his comment " they always get away." I believe more people are going to go out and get guns because they are afraid of people like the watch man.

March 19, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
  11. clemen

The way things are looking, I think every american citizen will eventually buy a gun because there is no law and justice for all americans. I would not be surprised if people started killing police officers and security officers just for the fun of it and as means of retaliation and because the court system is crooked against blacks.

March 23, 2012 at 1:56 pm |