Today on CNN Newsroom

April 10th, 2012

James McMurtry - America's "Fiercest Songwriter"

It's got to be tough being a well-known artist, yet still being compared to your better known dad.
Singer-songwriter James McMurtry seems to take it pretty well.
He is the son of author Larry McMurtry, author of "Lonesome Dove" and "Terms of Endearment" to name a few.
Another author, Stephen King, calls James McMurty the "fiercest" songwriter of his generation.
Here, in his own words, is James McMurtry

Filed under: #MusicMonday • Anchors • Brooke Baldwin
  1. Woody Mason

One only has to listen to a few of McMurtry's songs to understand his political relevance to today's world and the insanity and greed of neo-cons, corrupt corporations and politicians on the take! Listen to "we cant make it here" to understand the thinking man's view of the new economy... I feel he is the first song writer to embody the spirit of Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger is such a long time. I had the recent honor to meet James after a midnight show at the Continental Club in Austin over the recent Xmas holidays... a desire that had been on my bucket list for many years!!! Keep up the good work James!

April 10, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
  2. austex

April 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  3. Donna Baker

pure alchemy using the everyday word...

April 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  4. Vaughn

Thanks James. My wife and I say that James McMurtry 'gets it'. He understands small town and rural America better than any songwriter today. I've been a fan since his Too Long in the Wasteland and he's only gotten better with time. We listen to 12 o'clock whistle and we're taken back to our small town roots. Thanks for everything James. And I don't want another drink....I only want that last one again..

April 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
  5. Don Race

Real music made by real musicians. It doesn't get any better that this. I've been "lost in the backyard" a time or two myself James.

April 12, 2012 at 10:49 am |
  6. William in Brazil

James McMurtry writes very innovative songs. He is not nearly as well know as he should be. I have scheduled flights with an extra day in the Dallas area three times (I live in Sao Paulo) just to see him live. Last time, I lingered after the show in Denton and talked to him for ten minutes. He is very down to earth and actually seems a bit shy.

His lyrics are very intelligent and go way beyond the words other musicians put to music. Congratulations, CNN, for featuring him!

April 13, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
  7. Sue in Wales, UK

He's relevant on a global scale, not just USA. I love his work and have driven 100s of miles to catch one of his all too few UK gigs. One More Winter speaks to me personally and the irony of Choctaw Bingo is sublime :-)

May 2, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  8. Bodie

"austex

Although I don't agree with his politics, I respect his talent, integrity and generosity, he's not a self-important artist. He's story telling is straightforward but inventive."

With all due respect, austex, you don't agree with his politics.....What is your mommie and daddy in the banking industry? What industry are they in that you don't understand that the more people you invite to the party the less punch there is to go around...and there is no one MANUFACTURING the punch anymore.

May 8, 2012 at 1:51 am |
  9. Audre Gutierrez

James is as good as it gets. His lyrics, music and delivery touch that part of everyone that has yearned, ached, hurt or just grew old (Just us Kids is really ringing true for me, lately!). The day we got married, James was playing in Santa Fe; my husband and I went to the concert that evening...couldn't imagine doing anything else...and James graciously signed his poster for us on his dinner break.

June 6, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  10. Eric Cochran

Those that posted know what he means to us. I've seen him up my way 3 times. My best vacation I've yet to have is the one I get to ride my old BMW airhead down to Austin and get to see him at his home, the Continental Club Austin, where he plays a couple times a week when he's not on the road. James is true.

August 11, 2012 at 5:19 am |
  11. personal training Long Island

I sometimes get uncomfortable when listening to songs having to do with one’s political views but I agree that if you are angry about something you have to get it out in some way, and it is better to do so through music compared to other options.

January 13, 2014 at 3:19 pm |