Today on CNN Newsroom

June 15th, 2012

Eddie & Wolfgang talk Van Halen

Eddie & Wolfgang Van Halen talk about the decision to postpone Van Halen's upcoming tour.  They also share future plans for the band as well as an unexpected trait that the father and son have in common.

Post by:
Filed under: #Trending • Anchors • Brooke Baldwin
  1. Ricky Tull

Hey Brooke,

Thanks for the interview with Eddie Van Halen and his son Wolfgang. The question as to why they are stopping the tour short wasn't really answered in CNN's interview! Its like they dodged the question once again! Just because Wolfgang said that David was funny on stage, didn't answer whether they are truly having problems with getting along, and that's the reason they are stopping the tour short. And Eddie stating that he doesn't have cancer, doesn't mean that he is not having other health issues such as addiction, causing the tour to abruptly stop. I have heard that the reason was because they were over booked and physically exhausted, but that wasn't asked or stated in CNN's interview. There are millions and millions of dollars that people have spent buying tickets for the shows that VH has cancelled ..... and people want to know exactly why they are having to get a refund ..... or if holding on to the tickets is a good decision or not? Maybe next time if CNN ever has the chance to talk to the guys in VH, maybe "yuz guyz" can be more professional in getting the answers instead of having VH "floating around the answer" !!!! Thanks to CNN, all of us still don't know why the 2 tickets for $300 that are in my hand right now were bought for "NO REASON"?

Never the less, I still love your show!!!

Ricky Tull
    Hampton, VA

June 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
  2. Mike

Hang in there with your tickets. That album took 10 months to make 3 months rehearsal time last 4 months on tour. They are not young anymore(except Wolf). They only spend 2 hours 3x a week together. They are getting along great. Some of those postponed shows will be made up in August and September. Going over seas Oct. and Nov. (Japan Dates announced today vhnd.com). Than back to US in begining 2013 with a Superbowl halftime show. Things a good in VH land

June 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
  3. Stephen Tedla

There is nothing wrong with the interview, hey Ricky you are just a disgruntled hagar fan...admit it....they did not
    cancel the tour...THEY POSTPONED IT....and I'm glad they did, cause now we get a new setlist, new production etc
    when they reschedule in Jan 2013.

June 15, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  4. Deborah Steward

They have been answering the question. David put out a video saying exactly what Eddie and Wolfie said. They are taking a break and bit off too much at once, GEEZ why is that so hard for people to believe. I saw them in San Diego and you could tell they were having a great time playing together. They are older,wiser and sober!! Makes a big differnce. And yes Dave had them cracking up! Get over yourself and go see Chickenfoot! Rock on VH and DLR!!

June 15, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
  5. ElleBell

Ricky – What the heck are you talking about???!!!

"Thanks to CNN, all of us still don't know why the 2 tickets for $300 that are in my hand right now were bought for "NO REASON"?"

I understand that the tickets to the cancelled concert dates were never put on sale in the first place. If I heard incorrectly, having to see them later than sooner does not support your assertion of purchasing them for "NO REASON".

What was that? Oh, just your credibility flying out the window!

June 15, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  6. ElleBell

To Brooke & CNN:

Thank you for the interview! SO grateful to Wolf and SO glad they are back. Don't miss them on tour; you won't regret it.

Long live =VH=!!!!!

June 15, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
  7. VH Fan

The other spoken possibility is that Roth's voice (or what is left) was starting to break down and needed a rest. Years ago Eddie would tune down lower and lower on tour save Roth's voice on your. As far down as C# or C.

The funny thing if you go back and watch the old concert clips Michael Anthony would hold down most of the vocals and Roth would Ad lib it.

June 15, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
  8. kaydeim

The thing I don't understand is, if you're postponing a tour because of fatigue...don't you know how long you want to take off? Couldn't you say, "We going to talk two or three months off and then get back at it."? Eddie says, that there's a possibility of Australia and Japan in October and November (Japan dates were released officially earlier today). So, why wouldn't you reschedule the postponed dates first, then schedule Japan?

Then, there is the fact that Ed's face looks really puffy in the interview. I've seen that with certain medications like steroid based meds, so it could be a medical thing that's not a big deal. Although, Wolf's comment about his dad's health seemed odd...kind of stilted or staged...like he wasn't really comfortable saying what he was saying.

I do hope those who bought tickets and still want to see the band get that opportunity.

June 15, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
  9. Bob

I am trying to understand the rationale of bit off too much they can chew. In the past, they would record and album and do an extended tour for a long period of time. Here they recorded an album based primarily of old demos and have done a relatively short tour, and we are too believe that they can't handle it now. Something is off. Personally, I think it has to do with Roth. His voice is shot. A sampling of the various youtube videos of his performance shows that he does not have it anymore.

June 16, 2012 at 12:15 am |
  10. Lance

Well Bob did you go to a show? I did and DLR did a very good job, in fact the whole band was very good. They are not except for Wolfgang 20 anymore.

June 16, 2012 at 2:25 am |
  11. johnnybeane

What a great clip!
    I saw VH in Oakland and San Jose and they were great!
    Love the footage inside 5150!!!
    Keep rockin VH!

June 16, 2012 at 4:28 am |
  12. Mike

More dates coming . these guys aren't in there 20's anymore(except Wolf). Great time to be a =VH= fan.

June 16, 2012 at 5:34 am |
  13. Bob

I have watched enough videos of the various shows to see that Eddie and the rest musicians are doing quite well. David, on the other hand, is not. This not being 20 is a poor excuse for forgetting lyrics and singing pretty poorly.

June 16, 2012 at 8:15 am |
  14. Lou G

i am gonna respect VH and wish them all well and it was fun watching all the new shows they just did with david lee roth and im looking forward to the shows in jan 2013 when they continue to tour and smile on stage dave did a great job on vocals DAVE is vh no matter what ......i enjoyed seeing dave back with van halen and the new album is great as well....GOD BLESS and have a great time together cheers and happy fathers day to alex dave and eddie LG

June 16, 2012 at 8:52 am |
  15. Nobody

That was so cool to look inside 5150, that studio recorded everything from 1984- ADKOT.

And please people, Dave is 57, dont expect him to be belting out somebody get me a doctor anymore. Eddie on the other hand(no pun intended) can still play guitar like a rock god, and is almost the main reason fans see the shows. ROCK ON =VH=

June 16, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  16. Lost In Oregon

I drove several hundred miles to see the Tacoma Washington show. And I am glad I did. I would drive several more hundred miles to see them again. They are all great musicians. Anybody that is not deaf or blind has to respect EDDIE!!!

June 16, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
  17. EA Lee

I saw them March at the Verizon Center in DC with my 19 year old son (who loves DLR-VH) and they were AWESOME and SOBER! It was the best concert ever. DLR was funny and still had it! going on! I hated to see the concert end, it was that great. ROCK ON VAN HALEN!!!!

June 17, 2012 at 2:14 am |
  18. DANHALEN-5150

I too loved the footage of the 5150 studio,.....I seen the fist show of the tour and the Indianapolis show,they're kickin butt...................Thanks CNN for the interview,... bring on more!!!!!

June 17, 2012 at 8:29 am |
  19. SML

I enjoyed the interview with Eddie and Wolfgang Van Halen, looks like Eddie and Valerie raised a good son. I was glad to finally see his 5150 studio and it also looks like Wolfgang inherited his dad's talent. I got to see them in San Diego last week and it was an AWESOME concert so worth the trip from Florida. VH is my all time favorite group. Thanks CNN!

June 17, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  20. Rich R

VH as far as the band goes they were great! DLR on the other hand was marginal at best. He seemed like he was behind or forgot his words at times. Over all I GLAD that I went but was disapointed with DLR. I dont think I will spend 150.00 per ticket to see a band anymore! Go to thier web site and listen and keep the old memories of VH!

Rich

Phoenix AZ

June 18, 2012 at 9:13 am |
  21. Pete G

I saw them this past Saturday in Phoenix and was pleasantly surprised (that's not saying much) at DLR vocals after listening on the internet at other concerts this past year. He did skip or forget parts of songs which really was sad to see and hear. Eddy and Alex and Wolf though sounded great and I would go see them again and anyone you gets to see them right after the break will be in for a great show. This is was the 25th time I have seen them over the years and was impressed still. It was special to see Ed and Wolf interact on Father's day eve.

Pete

Phoenix

June 18, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  22. U First

Wolfie, so glad u grew up so good, you gotz great parents..your mom is a sweetie and your dad is the bomb.
    Keep it real always and you will go forever, just like your parents:)

You Guyz Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 18, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
  23. Peter B

NOTE TO VH MANAGEMENT:

VH should continue with DLR in the mix, it is not VH without Roth, bottom line, regardless if he has lost a step. He still delivers in concert, lets remember these guys are not young anymore.
    I saw the band on this tour, great show and the new album is awesome. I am ready and willing to pay good money to see them again on future tours and they should get back in the studio and make another album. There are not many viable alternatives out there anymore for big time Classic Rock bands. This is the time for VH to be out showcasing the fact that they can still make great new music and are peforming at an extremely high level in concert.

June 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  24. Darren Van Frankenstein

I saw VH in St.Louis in April.One of THE best shows I have seen in my 43 years.I don't care why they are taking time off,I just care that they come back and keep on rocking!No,Dave was not spot on and forgot some of the lyrics,but is this anything new??Dave has always been that way,and perhaps that is part of his charm.Also,someone said 5150 is where every album has been recorded since 1984...not true.ADKOT was recorded at Henson studios,but WAS mixed at 5150

June 19, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
  25. Luna-C

Saw them 3 times. Great shows great music. Will see them again even if Roth voice needs a little help. Actually I think he's trying to hard. Mabey what's his name should go on tour also to help out.

June 21, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  26. Alex W.

Deborah Steward, think before you write something down on the internet about Van Halen. I would go see Chickenfoot over a VH show any day! The VH drama is silly. Sammy is a nice guy who has proved himself a great rock musican over & over again & again since 1973. He is also an exceptional business entrepreneur. Maybe you & DLR should hook up, you are probably his type of women, "stuffy" just like him. As for Wolfgang, he is just plain weird. Why would a young buck like him want to be involved with a bunch of old men who should only be playing with men their same age, when he could be doing his own thing with the support of his Dad. It wouldn't even have to be music related. Something I've wondered for a long time as well, does Alex Van Halen have relationships with all his own childern or is he estranged from them? Who out there knows the truth... As for the VH back catalogue of music it's great to spin every so often ,regardless the lead vocalist. Leave it at that and enjoy the tunes for what they are worth...

June 28, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  27. David L.

Got Van Halen's first album for Christmas when I was ten years old and have been a big fan since. I’m forty two now and have seen V.H. for the fourth time this past April in Greensboro, N.C. The tours for; Diver Down, 1984, 5150, and Different Kind of Truth, with the 5150 tour being one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to in my life! So, I convinced my wife into going to the V.H. concert in Greensboro with me. Telling her now you will understand what I’ve been talking about and how great V.H. really is! Man! I felt like a fool....First off, by the band’s request, the Coliseum turned off the A.C. because V.H. said it messes up their vocal cords! So, we paid top dollar to set there and sweat our a”” off to listen to them leave out parts of songs and also background vocals (that must have left with Mike A.) Not to mention D.L.R. told one of the fans to go “F” themselves! Even then the band was just going through the motions and couldn’t wait to get it over, you could tell! Hell! I couldn’t wait until it was over, I left early along with what looked like a hundred plus more! What a waste of time and money! I will never support this band again! If you want to see a good concert you better go see Chicken Foot because Van Failen just don’t have it anymore......

July 1, 2012 at 1:55 am |
  28. bob

great interview. so happy to see eddie happy with his son... wolf is a cool kid.. saw them at oracle and hp and they were disappointing because of roth.. yes he is funny but he just can't sing... and ... well, that's kind of a requirement in a rock band... dunno if sammy can still hit his high notes but if he can, they ought to bring him back. the van halens were great... really impressed with wolf's harmonies too.

July 17, 2012 at 2:57 am |