Today on CNN Newsroom

June 19th, 2012

"Shackle" shoes cause outcry

Jesse Jackson tells Carol Costello he's appalled about the new Adidas shoes. He says they're designed to look like shackles put on slaves.

1. Christian

So, my girlfriend leans over in bed, and she asked me what I thought of "these" sneakers. I hadn't seen a picture of the shoes or heard about the news story before, and the first words out of my mouth were, "What, are they like going for the 'slave' motif?" Then, I watched this video.

I don't know what is more surprising: that Adidas could be so tasteless to put out this brand of shoe or that the newscaster acts like Jesse Jackson is being outrageously unreasonable.

I think Jackson is right on this one. Good for him for putting pressure on Adidas to pull the product.

June 20, 2012 at 1:55 am |
  2. Jer

The RACE CARD over a pair of shoes. How stupid!

June 20, 2012 at 2:00 am |
  3. Sharon Weaver

I like the shoes, black leaders get on my last nerve. This is a cool look kids would say, I, nor them were slaves nor did we ever where any chains. You guys are always black and white about everything, get over it. Let's move on, I do want a pair of them shoes.

June 20, 2012 at 2:42 am |
  4. Adriana

I am less concerned about the "slavery" imagery than I am the glorification of the prison culture. In today's society I believe it is a far bigger issue that we have such a large segment our population locked up in prisons and for some being imprisoned is just a "right of passage" something to be proud of street cred earned. Now we have cool sneakers that look like prison chains or ankle monitors. Why wait until you go to jail just wear the chains now.

June 21, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  5. old timer

There are people out there trying to controll every aspect of your life, pro and con, eg. what your can think about gay marriage, what you should think about shoes, what you should eat, the list is endless...Tell these people to `get a life` and leave your freedoms alone... How do you recognize these "Tyrants"; they are mentally unstable, intollerant of any views/opinions that does not coinside with their own... Hopefully Congress will not buy into this BS and pass more laws further surpressing our freedoms...

August 1, 2012 at 11:02 am |
  6. Tyrants are everywhere

Why is 15 year old Justina Pelletier unjustly imprisoned by the State of Massachusetts over a disagreement between doctors and at Boston's Children Hospital and Tufts Medical Center?

April 21, 2014 at 5:31 pm |