Today on CNN Newsroom

September 8th, 2012
  1. ronfwnc

Great story about an important problem. This segment, and Kim's book, will save dogs' lives. I also live in NC and, sadly, high kill rate shleters have been the reality for years, particularly in counties where no private groups step up to offer an alternative. "Little Boy Blue will change that. Thank you.

September 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  2. Aggie

The main rescue counties use the gas chamber is because it's cheaper than having trained staff who can administer lethal injections. By the same token, many animal gas chambers are old and poorly functioning.
    I am glad that Ms.Kavin doesn't think the term "euthanasia" is appropriate for killing by gas chamber – euthanasia means "good death",free of pain and fear. Some people just use the term to mean killing an animal.

September 8, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
  3. Aggie

the "main" reason" I meant to write...

September 8, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
  4. Lois Lane

I posted your story to the Person County Animal Shelter Facebook page today and, within 5 minutes, they took it down! Also Randi, in further research on this shelter, I found that the Shelter pays a Dr., already on the payroll of the gas chamber manufacturer, $2,400/mo. to "maintain" it. Please follow-up on this place. There's more to the story than just your brief piece with this Author.

September 8, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
  5. Jim Cannella

I watched the interview this a.m and was so very moved by it. Having just rescued our 3 rd dog,a 4 month old lab/ shep who was slated to be put down due to a "cold". He has settled into our family and our hearts. Thanks CNN for the interview and Karin for telling a story that must be told....

September 8, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
  6. kimkavin

I would like to thank Randi Kaye and her producer for having Blue and me on today, and for doing such a great job of highlighting some of the most important parts of "Little Boy Blue." It is people like this team at CNN who help to get the message of rescue out to the broader audience in America. I am honored that they allowed me to help share this message, and I am grateful for their help in spreading the ideas that will save many, many more dogs' lives.

Thank you again, Randi and team. We appreciate you helping all the ones who still have a chance to be saved.

September 8, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
  7. Smitty

I have spent time and attempted to volunteer at the Johnston County animal shelter....and the conditions are deplorable!!!! The shelter manager turns away voulnteers who wish to walk, bathe,and play with the animals. He also refuses to allow treats or toys to be given to the dogs. I was told that sometimes the workers are unable to give the dogs their "allowed" 30 minutes a day of exercise (due to lack of time)....and still, volunteers are turned away!! they accept supplies as donations (blankets, towels, ect) but they sit on shelves...mostly unused. These animals are being afforded NO quality of life (for the short time they are there before they most likely get the gas chamber). I hope this CNN report goes straight to whomever it needs to so that these animals get some help...and a VOICE!!!!!! Thanks, Randi!!

September 9, 2012 at 9:15 am |
  8. Jillian Dunn

The Cesar Millan Foundation wishes to thank Kim Kavin for caring and sharing her story and the truth behind the walls. We would like to thank Randi Kaye and her team for having the good sense to cover this story and present this as news worthy! We work tirelessly to promote spay/neuter programs, support humane education, and rescue, rehabilitate and rehome dogs! And we hope everyone else will too!

September 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  9. Tammy Godusi

Thank you Randi! I have tried to work with the Johnston County Animal Shelter in NC for the same reasons mentioned in this story with little success. I have been met with outdated policies, politicians who do not care and a shelter director who still thinks that the gas chamber is more humane. I am continuing to pursue a volunteer program in this shelter to better the lives of these animals and have a shelter we can be proud of. It has been a sad and frustrating process while in the meantime the animals suffer.
    The animals need our voice and strength.
    Thank you CNN for this important story.

September 12, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
  10. Amir

We must improve our shelters. The rural shelters need our help, whether to improve adoptions or volunteer. We have a wonderful rescue dog that has made us see how grateful these animals can be.
    Thank you for a great story.

September 12, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
  11. Evelyn

I also adopted a dog, and he came from South Carolina to Pennsylvania because he was rescued a few hours before being euthanized. I am sorry happy with him, I wish these shelters in the south didn't do those things.

Hope more people adopt dogs!!!

September 12, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
  12. Red

We adopted our Basset Hound that we knew more than likely was close to death in a shelter. No one had given him a second look in the 30 days that he was there. But we did! Now, for people that think gas chambers are cruel, have you ever seen a dog pts in a gas chamber? Most just relax and go to sleep after a minute. There is very little struggle and if they do, it`s because they do not want to be confined. Needle injection can be very traumatic for an animal because they have to be restrained especially for those that are hyper or aggressive. No death is a good death no matter what the delivery. The real blame rests on the owners of dogs, cats too that do not spay or neuter and consider their pets throwaways. Petition your county commissioners. They are the ones that hold the purse strings. Tell them that your shelter needs more funds to improve the welfare of the animals housed in shelters.

September 12, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
  13. vanessa

Red,
    Have you ever seen videos of animals in gas chambers being gassed to death, have you ever witnessed such a horrible act and the animals clawing, yelping, scratching and crying???? Have you ever heard from the shelter employees disagree with the gas chambers and how horrible they feel and how it affects their lives daily and how some shelter employees quit because of it???? No, its not humane, needle injection is most humane. Would you want to die that way???? I think not???

September 14, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  14. Dayle Coutu

Those who have been able to read the book or watch this interview and still believe a gas chamber is ok.. Should really visit YouTube and watch the videos. You can also speak with anyone who has had to use one. The animals do not get upset until the gas is sent in.
    Gassing of humans is illegal for a reason and should be banned for all animals.
    Adoption and education are the only way to stop this mass killing. This is a great step forward. Thank you to everyone for sharing this hideous behind the scenes story. Hoping it brings about a much needed change.

October 3, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  15. Annette

Rescue in book is now facing a civil lawsuit in Person County.

October 25, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
  16. Lena Laufer

I've just asked my daughter to buy Kim Klavin's book for me for Christmas. We have rescued several shelter cats in the past 7 years and they bring us so much joy and love. I'm grateful for the work that Kim and so many others are doing to see that no dog has to suffer the fate of euthanasia.

December 10, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  17. Patty

I have my very own pound puppy who is now experiencing severe arthritis and started out with kennel cough and parvo, but I woudn't have traded a day. He is the biggest baby (96 lbs) and has given so much joy and love to our family. Thanks for spreding this message. If only everyone could understand how much these unclaimed animals want to give back to someone.

December 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  18. Ayla

So if the law passes, 90% of dogs will be killed by injection in North Carolina, just like 90% of dogs in other parts of the counrty. WOW what great news! (sarcasm) Also there are many different types of gas used to euthanize animals. Each one has a different way of terminating the animal. What kind does shelters use? This woman probably does not know, never bothered to find out and never bothered to actually witness.

February 28, 2013 at 2:15 pm |