Today on CNN Newsroom

September 28th, 2012

"Black girls run"

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux talks with "Black girls run" ambassadors, Adrienne White and Janelle Sumpter about obesity, running and gaining self confidence.

Post by:
Filed under: Suzanne Malveaux
  1. BCarolJackson

Let's Move!!

September 28, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  2. EJ

How do I get in touch with Janelle Sumpter or Adrienne White about bringing"Black Girl" run event to our community

September 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  3. Shelly Polite

Yes this is an awesome group I belong to the group in Greensboro, North Carolina and I was so moved when I went to Atlanta to participate in this big event, and I saw a sea of black women, running, and walking it brought tears to my eyes. I loved it.

September 28, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
  4. Tasha

I am a BGR member and I'm just amazed & touched to see how our organization has grown from state to state #Houston.

September 28, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  5. Val

LOVE BGR! I don't always get to meet with them but they got me motivated to get moving. They welcome all levels and they really mean it. I should now, I almost always do a lil speed walking. They have a FB page and a website. Please check them out

September 28, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
  6. Shavona

BGR!Inland Empire (California) in the house. Run Girls!

September 29, 2012 at 1:45 am |
  7. Doris Jones

The concept is admirable but racism in any form is unattractive
    when it appears to exclude other races.
    Why "Black" girls Run? If a program said "White Girls Run"
    would it be well-received? Why not "Healthy Girls Run" or
    some inclusive title? I am sure Asians, Latino, Indian etc.
    would ALL appreciate being a part of something great like this.

September 29, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  8. Marlene

I joined the BGR Couch – 5K this morning. I had the time of my life. The women are so supportive, I am 250lbs. I pray at the end of the 9 weeks that I will lose a great amount of weight with dieting. Black Girls Run!

September 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  9. Nina

I'm a member of BGR in Columbus, OH. I love what the organization is doing to help save our lives in regards to obesity and other medical issues that have plaque our race for far too long. One of the best things about BGR is the ability to join other runners in different cities when I travel. We're taking our lives back and getting fit in the process!!

September 29, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  10. MaverickLaw

Doris, be the change you want to see! Go for IT!!

October 5, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  11. nineteen69

When I first started running two years ago, I would see maybe one or two other African Americans out on the streets and in races here in Philadelphia. With the popularity of BGR, you now see 100's of us out at most of the major races from 5K's to marathons. You see us running in various neighborhoods every single morning. We support charitable fundraisers/race causes and do all we can to encourage and uplift each other. Is anyone else out there addressing the health issues that specifically plague Black Women? Our name is simply who we are Black Girls that Run. There is nothing racist about it. We want to dispel the myths (some that we ourselves have created) regarding our health. It has nothing to do with not uplifting any other race. In fact, we have many women of diverse backgrounds in our group. We support all women taking control of their health and wellness. We are just working specifically to improve our health and bring awareness to these issues within our cities. Why focus on a name? We are so much more than that.

October 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  12. Ben

As the father of two grown girls I highly encourage any physical activity for any youth especially girls. I salute the first lady Michelle Obama for her efforts to get kids/people moving. We need more black women to stand up & inspire all women to get moving to improve their health, & encourage others to get out there an have fun. Single moms & dads be an encouragement to your kids. I feel womens sports is just starting to get the respect they deserve. Active Dad.
    I used to take my girls bowling, roller skating, swimming & to the playground. They're still active today.

October 6, 2012 at 11:13 am |
  13. Ben

Saw the video again, very positive. The girls are having fun, making & encouraging new friends. Your an example to everyone. You go girlsss..looking beautiful. Active Dad.

October 6, 2012 at 11:25 am |
  14. Tanisha Ajokatcher

im apart of the Black Girls run and it is awesome did my first 5k race

October 29, 2012 at 8:33 am |
  15. juanita powell

How do i go about getting black girl run started in new bern north carolina

December 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
  16. juanita powell

how do i go about getting black girl run started in new bern north carolina

December 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
  17. short de bain diesel

" StoriesPREVIEWPSG v Barcelona: What time does the match kick-off, what TV channel is it on, and what is the latest team newsANGEL DELIGHTLIVE – Champions League: Edinson Cavani adds a fourth as Barcelona are stunned in amazing rout for PSGCHAMPIONS LEAGUE FREEBIEPSG vs Barca to be shown for FREE on BT Sport tonight as Lionel Messi takes on Edinson CavaniWhat's so fuzzyNeymar reveals new moustache for PSG clash."
    short de bain diesel http://pl.aasoldes.fr/polo-Ralph-Lauren-shorts-hommes-2013-chaud-polo-club-iv-saphir-Short-De-Bain-Diesel-TE1745.html

September 3, 2017 at 2:01 pm |