Today on CNN Newsroom

October 1st, 2012

Therapist to challenge 'gay cure' ban

Brooke talks with David Pickup about a new bill signed by California Gov. Jerry Brown over the weekend that bans reparative therapy, a form of psychiatric treatment that aims to turn gay kids straight.  As a reparative therapist, Pickup defends the treatment saying it was a success for him.

Post by:
Filed under: Anchors • Brooke Baldwin
  1. Blake Smith

Brook, I am not the least bit surprised by your complete lack of balance and objectivity on the issue. I am a man who has experienced a significant reduction in my attractions to other men and a dramatic increase in my attractions to women. I know more than 100 people who have experienced a similar outcome. When the subject of the APA comes up we all know that the APA has long ceased to be a scientific organization, especially on this issue. We all know how much we have changed. We also know that we are hated by people like you.

October 2, 2012 at 12:39 am |
  2. CJ

I really enjoy watching your show. However on this particular interview it comes off as though you already had an opinion on the matter instead of vein objective. Your guest wasn't able to answer the questions you asked and when a comment was made he was yelled at for wanting to speak. I figure if you are going to have a guest of such a controversial issue on the show, you should let him speak so the people watching have a full understanding of what he is about. No matter what our personal bias is.
    Overall great show, just maybe not this interview.
    Take care

October 2, 2012 at 1:23 am |
  3. tom-ay

just for fun, let's do the same thing with straight people, just to see how successful it is... if it works, and we can change 100 straight people legit-gay, then i say let it live on.

October 2, 2012 at 2:51 am |
  4. Joshua Johanson

I went through this therapy and it helped me a ton. I now have a beautiful wife and kid. I am scared that maybe they will expand this ban to include adults. I will do whatever it takes to protect my family.

We deserve access to quality care. I know there is some bad care out there, but we should do things to make sure the quality improves, not ban access to care altogether. It would be like banning cancer treatment because some people have a negative reaction to the drugs. I had a great counselor who helped me get over self hate and for the first time love myself for who I am. I will not go to a counselor who will tell me to leave my wife and get a boyfriend. I want quality care.

October 2, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  5. Chris C

Thank God our parents were not gay, if they were we would'nt be here to comment on the subject, tat includes everyone

October 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  6. Boomer

I feel that in this interview the objectivism required of good journalism was lacking. The statement was read, “There are no good studies showing that it works or doesn't work.” In the spirit of true scientific method the discussion should have ended here, without good research all discussion is merely opinion and theory. We need to go back do the research and then have an educated discussion.

However, focus was placed on fact that no research shows that it works and the other fact that no research disproves it either was ignored. When this was pointed this out no ownership of the error was taken and the interviewer became defensive.

David brings up a very good point, “What do the patients think?” The statements were made, “Maybe they are upset about it because their parents are rejecting them… maybe that are upset about it because their parents are giving them a hard time about being gay.”

Again I going back to scientific method, we can begin with a “may be” but we need to back that up with actual research and data. Making laws and judgments based on what ‘may be’ is illogical and irresponsible. Let us do our research and make educated decisions.

We also need to question the constitutionality of such a law. Those opposed to reparative therapy admit that this is a religious issue when they state, “This is junk science used to justify religious beliefs.” Whether the accusation that this is junk science (again the APA stated that there has not been sufficient research either way) is true or not, the fact that this is closely tied to religious beliefs is undeniable.

So we must ask, does this law deny people their constitutional right to freedom of religion? Let each side state their opinion and put forth their research but do not force the belief of one side on the other in the form of law.

October 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  7. Danael B

Brooke-

As someone who had to go through therapy by someone who was a member of NARTH..THANK YOU for standing up to this group.

I went through many many many years of destructive therapy which caused horrible issues in my life.

Thank you for not backing down to this harmful group. It is so sad that minors are forced to go through this therapy by their parents. So glad this law was put into place. I can't wait until it moves to the other 49 states as well.

thank you. thank you. thank you.

October 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
  8. Katie

Being raped has nothing do with future sexual orientation. That idea is pure ignorance. If that were true then nearly all female rape cases would result in each woman coming a lesbian. You are attracted to who you are attracted to.

October 2, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  9. Marty One

This is wrong. I'm gay. Trying to change being gay is like trying to will your height to change. It's not possible. But people can always think they're taller or shorter than they really are. The same is said for this 'man.' He's still gay, wether he likes to admit that or not, he's a homosexual. He's just choosing to ignore his true feelings and play along with the norms of our society. It's plain wrong, and I really hope he isn't allowed to tell children they're broken because they have different feelings than the other kids. Maybe those children aren't in distress because of they're feelings, but because of how their parents are reacting to their true feelings. Have you thought about that you quack? Ugh, Brooke, you handled that well. I cannot say I could have done the same.

October 3, 2012 at 12:25 am |
  10. ItSoNlYmE

@Blake Smith – bully for you! So you fall somewhere in the middle of the Kinzey scale. Some people fall to either end. Because you "changed" (or rather, you recognized that you're bisexual) doesn't mean the same will happen to other people. The idea that a licensed mental health professional would even *believe* that someone's sexual orientation can be changed through therapy is bad enough, but for them to try to overturn the law against doing so is beyond belief in 2012. Anybody that ignorant doesn't need a license to screw other people up. That person needs therapy.

October 3, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
  11. Boomer

@ ItSoNlYmE - You are right, just because it worked for one person does not mean it will work for another. Everybody is different and unique and we all have different combinations of needs. On the other hand is doesn't mean it won't work either. Should we not let each individual seek what works best for him or her.

I am also curious as to why believing that change is possible is 'bad enough'. The world is full of different believes, what makes one good and one bad, one right and one wrong? Does God decide, does the majority rule, does scientific data determine it? Repartive therapy may be 'screwing people up' OR it may be helping them. Do we have any data or proof either way?

October 5, 2012 at 8:18 am |
  12. Carson Weber

The biased agenda and lack of objectivity on the part of Brook is blatantly obvious. I found the treatment of your guest to be unrespectful and coercive.

October 5, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  13. DARRYL PALMER

Please, it doesn't matter if you were born gay or not, if you find yourself born with male genitalia, and are sexually attracted to men, there is obviously something wrong, same goes for a female, please cut it out, stop, you guys are killing me.

October 5, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  14. danny

This man is simply trying to make money,exspiramenting with people s mine,when will straite people get it,we are born this way the same as they are born straite.

October 7, 2012 at 9:45 am |
  15. CMP

I agree with Carson. If Brook cannot handle her own emotional feelings about a topic and remain at least somewhat neutral and treat a guest on the show with respect then she should not interview the guest. I don't even know what the man said because the look of disdain on Brook's face was so distracting.

October 7, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  16. John

The solution for a teen who is distressed about homosexuality is to treat the distress, not create more distress by trying to change the teen's identity. Scientific evidence supports treatments for distress but not for changing sexual orientation. In licensed health care, parents get to choose from a set of scientifically-based options, not create their own medical therapy. Maybe Dr. David would like to use some good old-fashioned blood-letting as a therapy.... oh, well maybe I shouldn't suggest it. He might try it.

October 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  17. John

This doctor has obviously confused sexual orientation with the experience of sexual abuse. He is NOT a success story of reparative therapy for changing sexual orientation because he was never gay. How arrogant he is in his attitude that heterosexuality is superior to homosexuality. I was never sexually abused and am totally comfortable with my sexual orientation. The only thing that caused me depression, suicidal thoughts and homicidal thoughts between the ages of 12-16 was the bad treatment and constant messages of inferiority that I received from misguided authority figures. The psychological abuse of our LGBTQQI youth has to end. It should have gone out with the Inquisition.

October 17, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  18. Kay

No kidding, John!! This "therapist" has completely confused actual sexual orientation with the aftermath of sexual abuse and the confusion that can arise from it.

I'm astonished that he doesn't see the difference between orientation and confusion due to trauma. Heck, even *he* admitted that he was never gay...so how can he possibly "revert" to heterosexuality if he never was anything *but* heterosexual???

Well, that's where his argument that "most gays were sexually molested as children" comes in, even though it's not true, either. This man is a charlatan.

October 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm |