Today on CNN Newsroom

October 4th, 2012

Fact checking the debate numbers

Do the numbers stack up?  CNN's Ali Velshi talks with Brooke to help make sense of the tax cut proposals and jobs figures discussed in the first presidential debate.

Post by:
Filed under: Anchors • Brooke Baldwin
  1. David

I was surprised to learn that the jobless rate is conducted by calling households. In Ohio a business has to report new hires and layoffs to the state. Why can't the state just forward these "real" numbers to the fed? All states should report this way. Or did hiring phone solicitors add to the jobs numbers?

October 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
  2. Paul S

I find it surprising that a media outlet would slam the Maine candidate insisting that what she blogged several years ago in regard to a game she was playing should somehow matter to her political career... the comments made were in regard to a game, stabbing etc. You made it seem that they were in regard to real life... do you play video games? Have you ever commented in an online video game chat room that you enjoyed the game? (stabbing, slamming, etc?)

If not, you need to get out more...

October 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  3. Ron Hyden

I would also add that your reporting on the Democrat who played online games was TOTALLY IGNORANT and a waste ot time! If I want to watch or listen to that type of "garbage reporting" I will turn to FOX NEWS!

October 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  4. David Hill

The recent segment about the "gamer" was ridculous! It's her business. If she were posting about playing Pac-Man and the fact that she likes to chomp, kill, obliterate or kill the characters would we even be hearing this poorly presented segment?

October 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  5. David Hill

I am 44 and a Republican. Ron, her story was one of the poorest uses of time I can remember seeing in a while. Regardlessof party, this was making something out of nothing to push a point held by the host. That was obvious.

October 5, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  6. David Hill

BTW, I am NOT a gamer. I am just someone who appreciates decent news stories with meaning. My six kids like those games. It is crazy to thnk that something they post to a buddy online about their killing skills might keep them from becoming president one day. The news these days is slanted and irrelevent.

October 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  7. DIVINE

THE TRUTH WILL NEVER REMAIN HIDDEN NO MATTER WHAT.

It was very shameful for Mitt Rommey to have told several lies to win at all costs while millions of people listen to him; I think it a form of disrespect to us all and under-estimating others. I saw Mitt Rommey last night as a very deceitful business man who if elected President, Americans will be buried into deep mess that will surely enrich the richer Americans like the past till a result that takes America to standstill is visible again. I was very discouraged after the debate; I realized several lies during the debate from Mitt Rommey and quickly tone to CNN hoping they will better explain those false statements from Mitt Rommey to the people who seems confused; but surprisingly, the so-called CNN reporters and their guests that gave analyzes on the debate could not notice any of those lies until today through the hard works of fact checkers that the public is understanding what really transpired last night. Shame on CNN; you guys really socked.

October 6, 2012 at 1:08 am |
  8. Randy

I hear a lot about unemployment. Do we take in consideration of all the thousands people that get fired or just quit their job everyday and then file for unemployment. Is that the President fault too?

October 6, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
  9. tina

This presidential race is good against evil.......money is the root of all evil........its sad how people sell their soul to the devil for money.......this side of life is too short....and hell is forever.

October 8, 2012 at 2:33 am |