Today on CNN Newsroom

December 19th, 2012

Piers Morgan: "Nobody seems to care"

CNN's Piers Morgan talks with Brooke Baldwin about gun control in the U.S. and hosting a town hall meeting on the topic.

Post by:
Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. Susan Owens

I am a pacifist and not close to the fan of guns. But, YOU don't talk to people the way you talked to you "guest". We need to teach our children how to have civil discussion with each other, not name calling and degrading each other. You can be civil and still be passionate about a topic. You weren't polite and not even civil. You need to model behavior for others that don't know HOW to have civil discussion on important issues.

December 19, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
  2. Douglas Keily

I support repealing the 2nd Amendment and starting over – if necessary. Consider that in Connecticut firecrackers ...cheery bombs and M-80's (chap stick size) are illegal; this as a result of rare incidents of individuals losing a finger(s). Yet given the 2nd Amendment we "must" give individuals the "right" to have assault like weapons? It simply does not compute, is senseless and MUST CHANGE AT ONCE.

Regarding threats from a "tyrannical" government perhaps the closest was the War of 1812. We must also remember that while the founding fathers were brilliant men they were far from perfect. They allowed humans to own other humans, for the child of one mother and father to be the PROPERTY of another man....to punish, educate and sell as he pleased. They were not Gods nor Angels. More significantly today's greatest weapon against tyranny is the Inter Net ...Facebook; witness Egypt and Libya. We have had enough nonsense from gun proponents. Between the makers of guns, the retail sellers and rifle associations and gun clubs they have not been at all effective in keeping murderous weapons from the wrong people. To me they have collectively failed the country; failed our innocent children and are devoid of ideas to ensure gun ownership is safe. With entitlement goes responsibility and they have failed miserably. Take their guns away from them..

December 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  3. McCann

Piers has no idea what he is talking about. I just heard him say on a general CNN broadcast that the AR-15 "machine gun" fires "bullets" at 4-6 per second. That one sentence proofs he has no idea what he is talking about. The firearm used in New Berry was not based on an AR-15, it is not a machine gun, it is semi automatic, big difference and can't fire that fast. And if the gunman would have been carrying "bullets" no one would have been hurt. Bullets are the projectile which leaves the firearm, cartridges or ammunition contains a bullet, case, powder and primer. Piers needs to go back to the UK where maybe he can speak the right terms, and might have knowledge in his country, but not here.

December 19, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
  4. R

Literacy has nothing to do with anything here. But ignorance certainly does. The problem is not the method but the mentality. A psychotic driver in a school yard with a Tahoe can be just as devastating. or 40 pounds of ammonium nitrate and some diesel fuel.

" He claims that anyone can go down and buy an "AR15 machine gun".
    First, the AR15 isn't a machine gun. Most importantly, you can't go buy a machine gun at the corner store."

You are correct. And no Jake Walmart does not sell machine guns or assault weapons. Machine guns have been under strict regulations in US since !934. Very difficult but not impossible to obtain. Class 3 tax and a senior law enforcement officer to sign off on it as well asFed and State background checks. The vast majority of SLEOs will not sign off on fully automatic weapons or short barrels. I guess Jake and Piers believe that any bolt action rifle with a scope to be a Sniper Rifle. An AR 15Is Not an Assault Rifle, but a SEMI AUTO Sporter. it's amazing how people with so little knowledge of Firearms and the Law wish to interject their ignorance into such a serious debate.

Semi Auto= 1 trigger pull 1 shot
    Full Auto MachineGun= 1 trigger pull continues to fire till trigger is released or magazine is empty

December 19, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
  5. Terry

I had heard that the man who attacked the school in Dunblane, Scotland was under investigation as a child molester. But, he was still issued a permit to purchase a new handgun by the very police department that was investigating him. He then went on his rampage with that gun.
    I as a gun owner am appalled by what happened in Sandy Hook. I enjoy shooting my rifle at the range. I will not be treated as though I am responsible for the conduct of a madman and his inept mother. How can you have a child with such behavior problems and not keep even the kitchen knives under lock and key, let alone any kind of weapon?

December 19, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
  6. Peter

In the state of Maine it is illegal to hunt deer with a firearm that has a magazine capacity greater than 5 bullets. Presumably this provides for a safer hunting environment and a sporting chance for the deer. Interesting that these deer hunting laws are more strict than the bullet magazine capacities legally allowed by an individual to carry a gun in public.

December 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  7. Mark

Dude, don't punish me for being law abiding. I'm not a kook. I didn't have anything to do with this shooting. Why punish me? Why should I be denied a Bushmaster? It's just another type of semi-auto gun. Why demonize me for wanting to shoot a semi-auto rifle?

December 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
  8. Dan

About 115 people die every day in vehicle crashes in the United States - one death every 13 minutes.

In the US, every day during 2007, about 266 Americans were shot. Every day, a third of them (82 daily) died.
    So Pierce...should we ban Automobiles too???

December 19, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
  9. Rickster

A clear solution to the problem, would be to have a $1000.00 a year for gun registration and ownership. This would solve
    both gun ownership and the U.S.A. economy.

December 19, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
  10. M.E.

Arm the viewers with suggestions and tools on how to make some changes in the gun laws.
    Encourage the public to start a revolution of contacting our local and state representatives to show our outrage towards this gun culture - we don't want to stand for this any longer. While Sandy Hook is still raw this is a pivotal moment.

December 19, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
  11. Dan

Hey pierce...If you wanted to live in a country that has outlawed guns, why did you become a us citizen? Go to England where its safe. Oh yea...and where if you don't like the way your being governed there...just suck it up and take it because all you have is stones to through att he english military under maRtial law...AwEsome!

December 19, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
  12. Matty Lipska (MKE)

Pier,

Data can be transmitted, processed, and disyphered so quickly in todays automated electronic world, Especially here in America. That being said, I can't go to the pharmacy to buy psodophed (sp?) without providing my ID, because an attempt by lawmakers to prevent meth labs... So the simple question I ask is why cant the Gov create a mandated data base on all bullets / ammunitition purchased tied to each individuals ID card? I bet the info gathered in just one year would blow your mind! Each one of these mass shootings purchased 100's of round within weeks of the shootings. The second anyone purchases more than even 2 boxes of shell there should be a red flag going off on a FBI data base, Local authorities contacted... so on...
    The second thing is educating people to be responsible gun owners! There is no need to have multiple guns in your house unlocked with access to anyone. If you feel you need to protect your home then keep a gun with a few (1-5) rounds unlocked outside the safe, but if you feel it necessary to have 100's of rounds in your home with automatic rifles, then keep them locked up especially when you have adolesence or sons or daughters with mental issues in your home!
    Just a few thoughts from a deer hunter in Wisconsin...
    May God comfort those hurting from their senseless losses.

December 19, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
  13. M.E.

Why don't we bring back the "buy back," a way to get guns off the streets.
    The government offers opportunities for the public to turn in illegal weapons for cash.

December 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
  14. Bill

Piers, I am sure you think you are doing a noble cause for a noble reason, but in America, we are americans and dont care what goes on in Great Britain. You are single handed causing americans to be against your cause. YOU NEED TO BE NEUTRAL on issues or you become an issue. Get off your high horse and listen and work to prevent the tragedy at Sandy Hook. Thank you.

December 19, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
  15. Name*jim

Good on you piers I am Canadian there just don't get it it's like the blind leading the blind

December 19, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
  16. Robert Toler

A lot of you are right on the money! First, this morgan guy should be taken off the program. His debate skills are zero, he has no qualifications to be involved in weapons discussions, He, in front of national TV, has a tantrum and thinks that everyone should agree with him or they deserve to be called names and shouted down by this unskilled interviewer and irrational person Piers Morgan. PS the post by LOU is a good example of people who rant but know nothing about this debate on gun laws. And nation wide we do need to debate and collectively find solutions to this.

December 19, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
  17. Doug

New bill should include mandatory trigger lock, mandatory firearm locker, no assault firearms, and numerous background checks. No secondary sales. All sales must be equal.

December 19, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
  18. American Woman

Biased Debates are pointless. I have never watched Piers Morgan before but tuned in regarding the gun reform issue. I am appalled how how disrespectful he is to anyone who doesn't agree with his point of view. I have my own vantage points as an AMERICAN and my heart grieves too for the innocent lives needlessly lost by sick-minded people with firearms. But being rude, talking over and name-calling a fellow human once he asks a question, is plain unprofessional and tacky. What is the point of a 'debate' if the "leader" is so disrespectful? I will never watch CNN again because this is considered acceptable behavior on one of their programs.

December 19, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
  19. William

Piers, you seem to be focused on one element of the problem, thats your push but how about addressing violence in the movie industry, are they exempt because most are liberal. Piers, for your information if the second amendment did not exist when we were at war with your kingdom, there would likely be no United States of American which by the way you are not a part of.

December 19, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
  20. Denise

There are many people in this country that have not gone out and purchased more guns. I don't feel the need for a gun. I wouldn't know what to do with it. I am not a hunter. I'm not asking to take away 2nd amendment rights,but we must have a ban on assault weapons and better registration when purchasing guns. Close the loop holes. It is unbelievable to me that people still don't get it. Have those precious children been lost in vain? Wake up America!

December 19, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
  21. Tamara

Pier's really should stop fighting with his guest. I understand his passion but there are those of us that are passionate about are freedom to own guns. Banning guns will not stop the flow of illegal gum's being brought in our country... So what do you do with a hand gun when you have an assailant who is using an assualt rifle shooting at you? I don't know why Piers can't understand. 300 million people in American and only a few thousand commit crimes. That should show you that most gun owners are responsible with their guns. I think stricter gun laws concerning wait times and background checks are the way to go. More importantly dealing with society's lack of empathy and desire for violence is the real challenge and also dealing with mental health laws to identify and keep guns out of their hands is paramount. Try to be more diplomatic Pier's!

December 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
  22. paul

Piers,

PLEASE don't stop
    you are doing the right thing!
    don't let this fade again.

December 19, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
  23. Mark

The debate: Does Pierce Morgan matter?

December 19, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  24. American Woman

Margaretelizabeth-

yes, the gun owner should be responsible for their weapons. That should not equate to an entire ban on those of us who are honest, sane and responsible. My dad taught me firearm safety as a young child and we teach our children firearm safety. It's so cliche, but the weapons cannot shoot themselves. This Piers Morgan guy degrading people who vary from his point of view won't solve anything.

December 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
  25. Jason Clark

The gun control laws are not the issue the people who decide to kill someone are the problem. Whether guns exist or not if someone is crazy enough they will find ways to kill people via stabbing or bombing or what ever other crazy idea they get. I don't believe the guns laws should change either way. i do believe in the incidents at the schools and the malls there should be adequate security in place on site at all times with weapons to neutralize the issue.

December 19, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
  26. Lisa

I agree with much strictor gun control but I think you should do a show on barriers to mental health services. If people could get an appointment with a psychiatrist in the same way they could for a sore throat or cough perhaps that would make a difference. I am a primary care provider for children and I cannot tell you the barriers that are out there for people that need mental health services. This needs to be documented. First of all even with insurance most good mental health providers do not participate with insurance and even if they do it may be hundreds of dollars for one visit and every time patients need a med refill it again is a few hundred dollars..this is where we need health care reform in our mental health system!!! Please consider addressing this topic on one of your shows!!!

December 19, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
  27. Jr

Piers rude, disrespectful and VERY one sided... I absolutely hate what happen at Sandy elementary and think about all day as most of us do. They were more then the gun factor that caused this to happen, this was driven by mental illness and insane young man. His mother should have moved the guns or locked them up in a safe. Piers if your going to invite guess show some respect, he is a grown man just like you and here in America we have the Right to have an opinion and to voice our opinion.... Thanks CNN for your true journalism and non bias platform.

December 19, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Michael

Hello Piers, one word –Bravo! Bravo on your strength of conviction for being real/honest with all your arguments with searing concision with superlative leadership on your show tonight. Stay strong! From a tax payer, fan of CNN for 30 years, and a former US Marine who disdains the blatant lack of gun control here in the US. Reading over some of the blogs above, I would like to apologize to you on one hand, on the the other hand it seems senseless to apologize for such a group of illustrated illiterates. If you find yourself in SF, you have an open invitation to our home for dinner or just a meet and greet. Very best, Michael

December 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
  29. Jennifer Dressler

Dear Piers, Please keep up the pressure on everyone. Thank you. Our children who have the luxury of breathing today depend on it. I am frustrated as many parents are. I, along with my dear husband, believe guns in the home are unsafe, which is why we would NEVER own one. My belief is our great country is failing our mentally ill and their families. Our lack of gun laws has been a long time issue unchecked. Thank you for helping us have a voice.

December 19, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  30. robert foster

Morgan didi great job of not allowing chance to talk to anyone who disagreed with his premise. Regarding "Nobody needs such weapons." True. We don't need Corvettes, 8-cylinder engines, wine by the case, cigarettes by the pack or a lot of things not protected by the constitution. All of which kill far more people than guns. We don't need a week of wall-to-wall coverage of this massacre – in fact it does damage to children waqtching, parents and even victim's parents interviewed at the depth of their grief. Let's limit news coverage. Oh, right, that's Morgan's rice bowl and to llimit it in any way would violate a constitutional right. A bit like restricting semi-auto weapons.

10,000 people a year die of gunshot. According to NPR last week, over half of those were killed by people they knew; not victims of random, out-of-the-blue attacks by maniacs. Of the 5,000 left, let's deduct suicides (those folks were clearly determined and would have died without a gun), those shot by police and those shot by their victim while committing a crime. My guess is we are talking about less than 1,000 deaths/year. Compare that with the estimates for "medical misadventure," malpractice, of 200,000 to 500,000/year. I think those numbers belie assertions that we have a "culture of violence."

RF

December 19, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  31. Mark Clem

Over one million children are murdered each year. We call it abortion and protect this right by law. When will people start caring about this???

December 19, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Bala

Piers is very passionate, but quite right in trying to do something. If you accept the pro gun argument, does it mean that each and every male and female adult should carry a weapon. OK then the one who has the better weapon wins, so every one has to carry a bushmaster or even better. Then you have to keep it at home when you are home, and take it with you when you go to work, church, shopping, cinema, bank, and of course school. When a deranged man walks into a mall no one is suspicious. He then takes position and start shooting. Then all those in the mall start shooting him and of course at least 50% will miss and 25% will hit shoppers. THere has to be some gun control.

December 19, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
  33. Timex

Guns do not shoot anyone. Two things were in common with all the mass shootings. People with mental issues and guns. Take away the people with mental issues and no one will be harmed. In most of the cases multiple people knew the shooters were dangerous but did not act to prevent it. In my opinion we need to look at the mental health system. Many of the shooters were being treated and the doctors knew they were unstable but were unable to warn the police due to some laws. We need to look into this and not blame the gun but the mental health system. Your show was not a town hall because you would not let your guests finish talking. You owe them an apology for not letting them speak.

December 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
  34. bob jaure

Piers Morgan shame on you for trying to force your way of life on me, you attend operas, I shoot. I have owned firearms all my life. I have several guns two of which are considered assault weapons. I enjoy recreational shooting as well as use some of them for protection and hunting. I keep them in a safe and am a responsible citizen, Why do you want to take this freedom away. The school shooting was unbelievable. Nobody shoots babies, how did such a sick mind go undetected, before he could do this. We have really dropped the ball on mental illness

December 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Harry

I am glad that Pierce and the we need more guns author were not armed with weapons. I do think Pierce should have listened more but I am also appalled by the vitriolic comments above suggesting or demanding that he return to England.
    Back to the real issue – violence. I believe that our country will become more violent and dangerous if more people are armed. We need to figure out how to provide more mental health services to families in need. The second amendment discussion is problematic to me – I am not an advocate of abolishing all gun ownership but I do not think individual ownership of weapons protects our democracy and freedoms. I am paranoid about people who are paranoid about our government.

December 19, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Bre

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

December 19, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
  37. Harry

Interesting, Vinny. So – Vinny – are those two statements your proposal on how to deal with the problem of violence? I am hoping to calm emotions not inflame them. Maybe in the future – you (Vinny) and I can share our thoughts about how our society can reduce violence. May you not be confronted with violent behavior.

December 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
  38. Karen

The anger that P.M. displayed tonight gave me chills, as i pictured A.L. displaying the same anger towards the children. I was looking forward to a meaningful discussion that turned uncomfrontable and decided to change the channel.

December 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
  39. Goodarz

Piers, You are belessing for America.
    Please find out why people are so afraid to begin with in civilized America.

December 19, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
  40. jlo, Montana

I tuned into Piers Morgan's show Guns in America in hopes of experiencing a thoughtful debate on the merits of gun control in reducing murder. Instead, Piers used the show for a very one-sided rant in support of gun control with absolutely no facts to back up his assertions (he actually distorted the truth on several occasions). He stacked his panel and audience with anti-gun proponents and then bullied and ridiculed anyone with an alternative point of view. This is not the way to gain consensus on on a hotly divisive issue. On the contrary, it simply causes people to become more entrenched in their positions. Piers needs to learn civility in hosting his show or find another venue for his rantings. Perhaps the most disgusting, however, is the way Piers and the rest of CNN's correspondents immediately jumped on the Sandy Hook tragedy to promote their political position. I'm not saying something doesn't need to be done, but can we at least let the victims' families bury their dead in dignity before using them to further a political agenda?

December 19, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
  41. bhowsan

I cannot believe the inane and insane arguments put forth here by otherwise rational and reasonable people in the name of "gun rights". The American psyche is downright weird and cuckoo when it comes to this issue. Arming teachers! Ha ha ha ha.... why not doctors – who knows what stunt a patient might pull , or lawyers – how do you know your client wont pull a gun on you, or sweepers – no telling what the guy on the street might do if you swept dust his way.
    The problem is you are blinded from the reality that "without guns a place is safer" by your Second Amendment... when that was meant for a practically non-state citizenry like Syria or Libya is today... I might have agreed if it were Syrians or Libyans making that argument.

December 19, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
  42. angel

People who say they believe in God must understand that guns,even those of
    wars–and Politicians are hawkish on wars–can't kill evil: People have spirits
    and souls and they are eternal,with God or separated from God.So guns can't kill
    an evil spirit or soul,an evil person,and only God has the authority to separate
    spirits and souls,people,and send them to Hell.So God must always come first,all
    belief in God teaches that God must always come first.Ronald Reagan was of the
    John Wayne gun culture school,and the GOP idolize him,where you kill evil and
    send it to Hell,which really only God can do,and man is not God,the trouble is
    too many people believe they can do that.The Bible warns about the worship of
    men,which the Media does all the time,and it glorifies violence as solving
    problems whether it be a nation or an individual like a mass killer.
    Media blames mental health,Reagan shut down many mental health hospitals.
    Wars kill people in massive numbers too.Where are all the anti war people in the
    Media,they don't exist in the Media,and the Bible warns,and ends in the worst
    war ever.Jesus says if I don't return to stop it,no flesh will be saved.

December 19, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  43. jlo, Montana

If we are going to curtail the rights of a large number of law-abiding gun owners in an effort to control the heinous acts of a very, very small number of murderous criminals, can we at least produce convincing evidence that these measures will actually achieve the goal (i.e. less murder)? Gun control in some countries and even some areas of the US have in some cases reduced muder by guns. Great. But in nearly all cases, those same gun control measures have also resulted in higher murder rates as violent individuals have simply switched to other means of killing their victims (e.g. strangulation, beating, blunt force, etc.).

December 19, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
  44. SU

Why does the media insist on calling an AR 15 a machine gun. They are not anything near a machine or automatic weapon. An AR 15 is a semiautomatic rifle that will only fire one round at a time. The difference between an AR 15 and some hunting rifles is simply how it looks. Connecticut has the laws in place that Piers wants to enact across the US. You want to see how these laws prevent a massacre. Look at Connecticut and see if these laws stopped anything. Columbine happened when the previous assault weapons ban was in place. He states the UK has less firearm deaths than the US. What he fails to state is UK murder rate is higher than the US. I guess if a person is murdered it only counts to Piers if a gun was involved. We need to examine the issue because gun controls did not stop any of these massacres. Why are these people doing what there doing instead of which weapon did they choose. If you cant eradicate all guns in one sweep then how do you protect yourself from the ones they missed.

December 20, 2012 at 12:11 am |
  45. bob jaure

Me again, I see I miss spelled Britain, keyboard problem thought I better correct this, just incase Piers might read this (not likely) but if he did he would think I'm just an ignorant American that shouldn't have a gun anyway

December 20, 2012 at 12:40 am |
  46. Dennis Knagin

The mendacity which Piers propagates on his show is typical of the far left if you don't like the rules in this country return to the UK which you seem to think is so great. The 2nd amendment was put into place to protect against an oppressive gov. You Britt's didn't like the constitution when it was written and it's obvious you don't like it now so do us a favor and go back to the hole you climbed out of

December 20, 2012 at 12:48 am |
  47. Judy Craig

I am so encouraged to see Piers Morgan taking on the gun issue in this country and wholdheartedly support his efforts. Please look up an Opinion column in the Dec 19th issue of the Fort Myers FL News Press written by David Slater who has 30 years experience in law enforcement. Mr Slater says that after seeing hundreds of gun-related incidents of all kinds (husbands shooting wifes, wives shooting husbands, kids shooting other kids etc) he has never seen one incident where a person shot another person to protect himself!
    Kudos to Piers and his show, keep up the good work!

December 20, 2012 at 1:00 am |
  48. Retired Marine

In the five minutes I forced myself to watch his show I heard more inaccuracies uttered out of his mouth than truths about firearms – he needs to verify his sources because whoever is providing him with his research is inaccurate. As a retired US Marine, weapons officer, and combat veteran of two wars I have over 33 years of daily hands-on experience with firearms. I served in the military for 22 years to protect the constitution of the US, including the second amendment, and the rights of our US citizens. As an expert maintenance officer of firearms I can say with 100% certainty that if the loaded assault weapon was placed on the teacher's desk and left alone not a single person on that day would have been shot. It takes will, intent, and utter evil from a person to pick up that firearm and kill innocent children – this is the atrocity. Knowing this person had will, intent, and was evil if he did not get ahold of some type of firearm he would have found some other vessel to commit this atrocity – example – if he walked into the classroom with a baseball bat and inflicted the same damage would we now be talking about banning baseball bats and the game of baseball? Come on, guns are not the issue here its the mental health of our citizens/residents and our broken mental health system that only will be exacerbated by Obamacare.........

December 20, 2012 at 1:02 am |
  49. max

max is a canadian...and heres a thought for yall... USA has 10,000 nuclear warheads ...spends trillions on armed forces and you are wondering why everyone in the states is parinoid ...try leading by example president barrock obama... i have three sisters and they can all shoot semi auto rifle....but they all shoot targets and win turkeys cause thats what canadians do ...maybe the next war the brits should decide how much they want to act like the americas when the rest of the time they want to be peace keepers...however as a canadian with three sisters i have great sympathy for the victims of this senseless crime but have no sympathy for the vultures who stand on the corner a block away and interfere with the morning of the victims families and the townfolk...you call yourselves journalists but your more like the paparazi ..

December 20, 2012 at 1:13 am |
  50. Robert Christopher

I am very saddened at the slaughter of so many innocent people in the past few years at the hands of murderers. But I have to say that they were killed by just that, MURDERERS. To call a semi-automatic fire-arm a murder weapon is the thin end of the wedge. It does not become a murder weapon until it lands in the hands of murderers; whether ill, depressed or just plain mean. Before then it is a fire-arm. I agree these weapons need to be taken off the streets and regulatede a lot more stringently. But not banned completely out of the legal ownership of responsible adults. I would submit that any person owning such a weapon should be subject to inspection of their safe and secure storage of said weapons, and should also be subject to bi-annual training for the renewal of a license to own such weaponry. And yes, take them off the streets of America. But not out of the homes of responsible owners.

December 20, 2012 at 3:37 am |
  51. Drew

First off, this is not about guns to protect our self's , its to protect us from the government read the 2nd amendment , you can't do that if you don't have the same weapons they do or magazines that hold enough to do so. The way to fix this problem is not to punish the law abiding American there right, hold them accountable lock them up or face heavy fines or jail simple, criminals get them from stealing from friend, family , or theft from other homes that don't lock them up. And keep ammo and guns apart , if somebody gets a gun from careless gun owner hold them accountable too. And yes arm guards at schools, with exit door just like fire drills, or auto door locks just like fire alarm all gets locked down except the exits that are designed for quick evacuation and practice drills, which also could be a harden room everybody exits too. Or simple like the courts do guard standing at the door to check all though a metal detector seem to work for the court rooms. And yes let all the staff have access to firearm in a safe hidden safe with a quick code. And get help for all the crazy they let out homeless or sent back home for family to deal with.

December 20, 2012 at 3:40 am |
  52. Robert Christopher

P.S. – I DO AGREE that more than 15 rounds on a fire-arm is far too many.

December 20, 2012 at 3:50 am |
  53. movefeasts

How to answer the "more guns is the solution" argument. Last night on the show it was argued that the public should have access to assault weapons because it's the only way to protect oneself from the bad guys who carry around weapons like the ones used in recent mass killings, and that a simple hand gun or bolt action rifle don't provide enough protection. Sometimes the best way to handle a half baked idea is to lean into it. If you accept the premise by assault rifle advocates that the only way to protect yourself from the bad guys is to be equally armed, what does that look like when actually carried out to the end? It means that everyone needs to have a Bushmaster with 30 round clips strapped to his/her back when we go to the mall, the movies, church, school, etc. to be adequately protected. I trust that even the most ardent gun advocate would find this absurd. But isn't that what they are advocating when their stance is taken out to the end?

December 20, 2012 at 4:17 am |
  54. robert

Congratulations to Will Cain, he is the only person on TV that has done enough research to realize the Bushmaster is not an assault rifle as defined by the Connecticut Assault Weapon Ban or the expired Federal ban. There are many elements that constitute an assault rifle and the Bushmaster is lacking. Why do you think that Nancy Lanza was able to legally buy one in Connecticut? Connecticut still has an assault weapon ban in effect.

December 20, 2012 at 5:10 am |
  55. Raghu

A View from outside the US:
    Well Done Piers. I am looking forward to hearing PM every night on CNN at 8pm, Malaysian time. Here we do not at all feel the necessity to have guns to protect ourselves. We pay taxes and keep the police to that job for us. I think Americans have gone overboard to keep guns in order to protect themselves, which means they have no faith in their police force. But is there any evidence of guns being used for self-defence purposes? Americans must be an extremely paranoid and idiotic race. With more than 313 million guns in their homes, it must be an extremely dangerous place to live and work. It is sad that President Obama seems extremely careful not to offend the powerful gun lobby by treading so carefully on his words. Wonder whether he will be able to comfort the bereaved after the next massacre which may take place anytime form now. Why is there no political will on his part to make it illegal for the possession of arms. Just get rid of the archaic centuries's old second amendment. Just reflect on this. By defending that stupid law, you are and not in any way different from fundamentalist militants.

December 20, 2012 at 6:05 am |
  56. Mary

You ROCK Piers Morgan... Somebody has to stand up and at least try to make a change in this gun crazy country.

December 20, 2012 at 6:35 am |
  57. mike page

I am a gun ower many times over, and have own my own gun since the age of 6 (SIX) because my WWII father raised me to know and have responsibility with a firearm of any type, because they are all capible of being as deadly as the operator lets them be. My point is today the younger youth doesn,t recieve the proper training and respect when they are in the 1st-6th grades. Instead they seem to put their focus into nasty violent video game that gets very little attention in the big picture,and this is the beginings of our national problems. Mothers against whatever, have the right not to teach little jimmy-bob about firearms, but they don't have the right to tell Me that I shouldn't and can't buy any gun because of their lack of knowledge on owning and responsible use. Loose the violent videos that most kids are obsessing over thanks MGP

December 20, 2012 at 6:36 am |
  58. Joel

I consider myself as an average American and I am truely saddened by the events that occured in Newtown, but your debates on gun control are mearly your one-sided view. If you truely wish to advance this issue you need to allow people on both sides debate not just ram your views down others throat. Someone needs to clearly define what is meant by the term assualt weapon. I agree that a long gun with a large clip has no place in our society, but people must be allowed to defend themselves.

December 20, 2012 at 7:56 am |
  59. Jason Roberts

News media outlets and their staff should report on the facts of stories, especially when they are tragic. CNN and its staff were horribly inaccurate and reminded me of serving single minded opinion of only those staff that was on camera. These programs do not serve anyone’s best interest, they serve the interest of the interviewer that would invite someone’s opinion and then tell them they are stupid for it. It should not be the outlet who makes opinions and then allows spouting off. A single person’s opinion is not a debate, it’s a dictatorship. This promotes anger in people that do not understand how America came to be and frustration in trying to understand that evil lies in the hearts of man.

Jason.

December 20, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  60. movefeasts

I do agree with Piers, but unfortunately he's too emotional to handle a debate on this topic. Every time he does it dissipates into a shouting match. These clowns who want access to assault rifles and automatic weapons to don't have any reasonable answer as to why the public needs to have access to these weapons. They duck the question or come up with absurd reasoning. Guns are not toys. That people want these weapons so they can target shoot and play with them is not a sufficient reason for owning them. Hunters have absolutely no business using them for hunting, if any do. I'm sure that most people in law enforcement would like to see these weapons banned. They are the ones, not the general public, who have to deal with people with these weapons. These weapons are not used in home break ins. They're used by people mentally ill and not mentally ill to wipe out people in public places. Easy access to these kinds of weapons does not serve the public good and should be banned.

December 20, 2012 at 10:40 am |
  61. SU

First off can anyone tell me what the AR stands for in AR-15. The media would like you to believe it means Assault Rifle, it doesn't, it stands for Armalite. This is a rifle that looks like a military rifle but does not have all of the same functions of one. These rifles are used for competition, hunting, and self defense. Gun control advocates have called them assault rifles hoping to scare people into banning them, because of how they look. Have you heard of an AR-17, Its a regular shotgun. Please inform yourself before making judgments with basis of fact.

Magazine capacity. People are saying magazine capacity should not be over 10 rounds. While it makes sense, I agree, requiring someone to replace magazines more often, it did not help Connecticut. If you check there law, it states, you may not possess any magazine over 10 rounds. This doesn't mean don't do anything, it just means stop doing the same thing hoping for a different outcome.

Guns save lives. People use firearms to ensure their safety on a daily basis. People that say they don't, obviously live in hole being fed by morons like Piers Morgan. When he went off he sparked ratings not because people love him, but because people love watching the village idiot. He saw ratings go up and now he's like that guy that keeps repeating the same story because it looked like you listened to him the first time. In a few weeks the ratings will go down and he'll stop bothering us with his nonsense.

December 20, 2012 at 10:44 am |
  62. Julie

It's clear CNN is bought out. I don't see how anyone that works here can stand it. You're told what to report and ignore other clear facts. I guess we would never hear about all the shootings that actually saved lives....nope....because it's not involved with the set agenda. I'm so glad I got rid of cable over a year ago and will never stop telling people about how fake mainstream media is. Oh...fire Piers Morgan too....we don't need a brit telling us what should be done in the US.

December 20, 2012 at 11:00 am |
  63. Joseph

Pierce Morgan clearly lost the debate when he started calling his guests names. No laws can keep a person from performing atrocities. You would have to ban bats, bricks, bow and arrows, automobiles, etc. All this talk about banning assault rifles is ridiculous, two hand guns would have killed just as many innocent victims. My point is, hand guns will never be banned (2nd amendment) so why all this rhetoric about assault rifles.

December 20, 2012 at 11:19 am |
  64. CS3

Come on… This is not rocket science… I find it foolish for those who are arguing for amendment rights when they only know the first and second amendment, but that’s a different argument… And if everyone is so for living a “free” life why doesn't everyone enlist in the armed forces to do their fair share… Okay wait they will argue everyone contributes in different ways, okay fine… It’s sad and entirely ridiculous to say teachers should be armed and whoever is saying that should be ashamed of themselves. Piers you are doing a heck of a job stomping around this subject and weeding out the nut jobs because you can’t have a real conversation with them. All journalists should take a page out of your book and instead of being polite to let idiots speak call them out for being idiots. These tragic events require appropriate steps to assure safety for the most vulnerable. I’m not saying that it will be the most convenient plan for all because it will most likely restrict liberties that people believe they are entitled to. Since we are dealing with irrational people let’s not talk about what we disagree on, but talk about what we agree on. In the Newtown massacre this criminal, not child, used a semi-auto rifle that enabled this criminal to fire rapidly with a high capacity of rounds. In the other massacres the criminals are using semi-auto rifles that enable them to fire rapidly with a high capacity of rounds. This is not rocket science… If you restrict the ability to access semi-auto rifles that fire rapidly and high capacity clips you will deter violence because these cowards are hiding behind a rifle that they can fire quickly without having to reload until they have done an extreme amount of carnage. To even be fully compromising to the needs of many Americans we should allow purchases of semi-auto rifles with mandatory background checks and training. I served in the military and I am for gun ownership, but I am against outright stupidity.

December 20, 2012 at 11:35 am |
  65. movefeasts

CS3,
    The other thing to add is that had the shooter's mother not had in her home these weapons, which she legally owned, this massacre probably wouldn't have taken place. Her gun hobby facilitated the slaughter of 20 six and seven year olds and 7 adults including herself.

December 20, 2012 at 11:47 am |
  66. H. Rudi

Piers,

Piers,
    Many British are admired by Americans because they are gracious, intelligent and cultured individuals. You are non of those and an embarassment to Britian.
    You bring nothing of value to this country and do not even understand, or want to understand, the foundations of this country and what makes it great. Many Europeans love this country and come here to live because they prefer it to their European homeland.
    Yes, the Connecticut shooter was a sick man, and his mother should have taken more pre cautions with the guns around the house, but watching you on TV also shows you as a man with deep psychological problems and a refusal to understand the issues involved.
    What have you done to help children? When were you in Africa helping with a famine relief effort where there are starving chldren, or working with inner city children in poverty? YOU probably have body guards and ways to protect yourself that the average American doesn't have.
    Go back to the UK, you don't deserve to live in our country.

December 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  67. H

You're doing a great job Piers. Expose the gun lobby for what it is. I hope every show deals with some element of this issue to show the truth about what has happened to this Country because of guns. American taxpayers spend billions in Medicaid dollars treating gunshot victims, plus the cost of all the trauma centers built to treat gunshot victims. Yes, gunshot homicides are down, but gunshot victims are up 47% in the last 10 years. Many more survive because the American medical establishment now has a trauma network that is designed to treat gunshot victims, their biggest customers. Where did they learn how to treat gunshot victims? In the war zones of Iraq and Afghanistan. In ten years, we sadly lost 7,000 soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. In the same 10 years over 100,000 people were killed by guns on US soil. Where is the real war? See Wall Street Journal article of December 8 (before Sandy Hook). Politicians, if you want to cut the debt, cut the guns. Piers, get the Howard-Johns Hopkins people who did the research on your show. It's an eye-opener. Of course, those blinded by guns won't see.

December 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  68. DJTB

I also watched the town hall program with Piers. I may not have chosen to treat his 'guests' in the same manner, however he did accomplish one goal. He got all of you talking about this issue. We have to stop being so prideful as a nation and look to see what works in other countries. Several other nations own guns and have a fraction of the homicide deaths from firearms that we do. I come from a military family and understand our second amendment. However, your 'right' to own a gun should not trump my child's (or anyone's) right to live. There is no logical reason that guns shouldn't be licensed and ammunition strictly controlled as it is in Switzerland and Germany for example. We control who drives a car and whether or not they get to keep that license. Why should guns be any different in our diligence. We must change our culture. And for those that believe gun control won't help. You are wrong. Do your research of gun control policies elsewhere first and then we can have an intelligent discourse about how to implement changes that we can all LIVE with.

December 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  69. pietpreston

Sorry everyone, but what is your problem with Piers's comments? I don't have much love for this guy either but what exactly is it that he has said here on gun laws in the USA that you find so offensive or ill-informed? Let's face it, you have a problem with guns in your country, a big problem. That's not an opinion, it's a simple fact. The right to bear arms is a law enshrined in your constitution yes? But it is a law that was made hundreds of years ago for a different society and a different world. Isn't that why you have the ability to make amendments? So that anachronistic laws can be changed to meet the needs of the times? Lanza wasn't a monster he was sick in the head. Without your insane gun laws he would not have had the opportunity to express his sickness in such as destructive and tragic way. When one of your kids or family or friends is the victim of your insane gun laws will you still support your right to brandish a weapon? Come on give it up NOW!

December 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  70. Roy Fisch

There is only 1 relevant question to be asked: if the 10 year assault weapon ban from 1994-2004 failed to reduce crime in n this country ( it didn't,) why would you try it again? Studies done by center for disease control, national research council, and several other agencies all concluded that the ban did NOT reduce gun related crimes at all! Furthermore, crimes involving assault rifles, prior to the ban, we're less than 2% of gun related crimes. Now there is an effort by the president and others to reinstate the ban. Is 10 years of of data not enough to convince politicians that this is not the answer. Einstein (?) said that ignorance is trying the same experiment over and over and expecting a different outcome. Well here we are again. Same experiment=same results.

December 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  71. Frediano

Your mis-characterization about why gun sales are currently skyrocketing is self-serving. Folks aren't doing it because they are afraid of fringe mayhem; they are doing it because they are afraid of their own unfettered state. If you wonder what the unfettered state looks like, then look at that foaming at the mouth emotional wreck in the mirror.

December 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  72. Dave

Thank you Piers Morgan. Thank you for giving voice to the outrage felt by so many of us. Thank you for standing up to the nut cases who would rather arm teachers than pass common sense gun controls that have proven effective in other parts of the world. Your passion on this issue is well placed. There's no more room left for polite debate. It's time to stand up to the insanity of the gun lobby and shame the spineless politicians who have so miserably failed us. They have the blood of 20 precious children on their hands and so will we if we let this moment pass without action. This carnage cannot be allowed to become the new normal.

December 20, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  73. Bgr

Bravo Piers. Unfortunately , there are so many idiots out there and so many stupid people and somebody has to tell them the truth. You can't be nice to somebody who's telling you that more guns will solve the problem, after what happened in Newtown. Thank you for doing what you do and I'm sure you and other people like will make the world better place. Don't stop talking about this 26 kid+ adults killed, because we don't have to forget them and we don't want that to happen again. Good luck to you and other journalists who do the best to make the difference ...

December 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  74. R.T.

Lots of good debate going on here. Some not using accurate facts and a few plain silly, But first thing is getting out ideas that could lead to sensible and workable ways to ( First priority) protect schools! People have to realize that improving gun regulations should and will come about. It will take time, but it WILL happen! What about now! At this very instant children of all ages are in school! Do people think that deranged murderers are going sit around waiting for gun laws to change? Do some people think that kids don't understand the fact that they are sitting ducks until the adults can come together with solutions? There are immediate stop gap procedures that could be done today! and they don't necesssarily require arming any one in the school faculty! Forget about the Pierce Morgans in the world! Come up with debates about what can be done tomorrow to protect schools?The nations schools will have children present TOMORROW morning! (some schools have had solutions in place for quite awhile) If you had to, what would you do to protect a school tomorrow even if temporarily?

December 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  75. CS3

Frediano,

So your argument would be if everyone was armed with semi-automatic handguns and rifles in the 1992 LA riots it would have turned out better?? Let’s put your argument in perspective here… 27 people were tragically murdered in Newtown and 53 were killed in the riots… More than half of the number of people who were killed in the LA riots were murdered in Newtown by 1 criminal... So are more guns the answer here? How do you make the connection between cops being acquitted for beating someone which resulted in a riot to the presidential election? If everyone started seeing psychiatrist you will be surprised how many people have mental illnesses. Just take a step back and read some of these comments which can be interpreted as some of you may have mental illnesses…

December 20, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  76. Emmanuel

All guns should be BANNED! Look at the Asian countries, civilians are not allowed to own guns and shooting crimes are rare. Illegal ownership of guns are severely punished.
    Checkout the crime statistics and incidents of senseless shooting in Asian countries – Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand. Although there are many triads in Hong Kong, senseless shooting crimes are rare.
    Moreover, some of these Asian countries have highly pressurizing and competitive cultures, yet the citizens do not go out and senselessly shoot others.
    In the west, there are also few senseless shooting incidents in Western Europe.
    Something is grossly wrong with the American legal system for allowing ownership of guns, it is especially wrong with people who believe in More Guns and Less Crime. Allowing the ownership of guns also assumes the maturity, integrity and mental stability of the person owning it. Allowing ownership of guns is also making it easier for criminals to commit crime.
    We cannot control these evil and crazy people, however, imagine a crazy killer going on a killing rampage or committing a crime using a chopper versus a gun, wouldn't the number of casualties be lower and wouldn't it be easier to subdue the criminal?

December 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  77. Emmanuel

Piers Morgan is overly zealous to put his message across and not allowing the guests to finish speaking especially the female police officer, what she has to say will have a greater impact than having Piers cutting her off.
    I see the good the Piers Morgan is trying to do and I salute him but it is good for a TV presenter to be calmer, more rational and moderated.

December 20, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  78. dryan327

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....YOU ARE SAYING EVERYTHING I have been thinking for years. I used to speak out about it, but the minute I did, I would be bullied by the pro-gun group. I like you would NEVR own a gun, and NO ONE should be bullied because they don't want guns killing innocent people. PLESE do not let the bullies back you down. You have tons of people in your corner!! Way to go, really appreciate you!!

December 20, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  79. rj

I support Piers Morgan a 100% on gun control. This is a mockery on the face of American democracy that people can kill 100's of innocent children so freely. Taking some ones life is as far as it goes. You cannot justify carrying assault weapons for ones own protection. The assault weapons needs to be banned. Stop violence, Save the future, Peace.

December 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
  80. Elaine

THANK YOU PIERS MORGAN with all our heart for giving voice & passion to the crucial issue of sane gun control! Pls know you express what everyone we know feels. We are behind you 100% & urge you to continue this effort on behalf of all of us who cannot be heard.

December 20, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
  81. NW OKLAHOMA

I support Piers Morgan because we have no need for assault weapons. If hunters have to use assault weapons to hunt
    there _________ .

December 20, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
  82. Elizabeth Tice

Bravo Piers! Keep up the dialogue on gun control. My Father and grandfather were hunters and they did not need assault weapons to take down a deer. If anyone does, then they are not hunters, just Rambo wanna bees. A good hunter needs one rifle and one bullet. As for the rest of us, no one needs assault weapons of any kind, except perhaps the military. No one needs these 100 bullet clips either.
    Everyone needs to be reminded of Dunblane and Australia and the effectiveness of their programs.

I apologize for my fellow Americans who have threatened you or made such nasty remarks. They are not thinking rationally and are behaving like little boys who may lose their toys.
    There are many Americans who do support the need for gun control; please do not judge us all by the rabid few.

December 20, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
  83. Bonnie

I tuned in to the "town Hall Meeting" because I support the need for gun control. I basically agree with Piers Morgan, however, I found myself incredibly disgusted with the host. He was everything you wouldn't want in an open discussion. I will most likely never tune in again. His attitude was pompous and he was unwilling to listen. The female police officer had much to share, but in typical fashion, he abruptly cut her off. I appreciate the fact he is raising an important issue, however, last night he became the issue. Very poor journalism.

December 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  84. Michael

What a smoke screen in my opinion with this nonsense with the cliff. Gut the military with their whining about 10% at first. Then gut it 60% or more. Let these arrogant complex guys find a real job. Michael

December 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
  85. Judy

I support Piers Morgan
    100% on gun control.....keep up this debate

December 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
  86. Daniel

Lets just get to the point. Piers Morgan is just another snotty, bitter little jerk who thinks his opinion is the only one that matters.
    He has the right to exercise his freedom of speech under the U.S. Constitution .The one that he seems to have so little respect for. By the same token we can exercise our right to tell CNN that we will tune out and inform their advertisers that we will not spend our hard earned money on their products as long as they resort to supporting one sided bias journalism.

December 20, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
  87. NJ

I support Piers Morgan! There should be a 100% gun control.
    Kids can never be safe around guns. There is always a risk of it falling in the wrong hands. We need to work collectively in minimizing the danger for our kids. There is absolutely no sane reason why a civilian should own military style weapons. Those who love hunting should be able to do so by renting it, without having guns leave the hunting property.

December 20, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
  88. ES

Piers is plainly unprofessional and he didn't need to talk with such low hanging attitude to the people he invited. As one pointed out earlier, if there is a difference in the point of views, it is still ok to argue in the professional manner, but he should not shut down guests. I have really never seen such a rude idiot on the TV show. I turn off the TV immediately in less than a minute when I saw his behavior. I will never watch his show and he is badly damaging an image of CNN. I just don't get it why CNN is employing such unprofessional host. He should really leave and go somewhere.

December 20, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
  89. Chuck, Idaho

I have one gun and it is a family heirloom and it the only reason why I have it but, I do not agree that we must remove guns. I think that the 2nd admendment was written so that the citizens of America are not powerless against its own country. It also helps deter a foreign threat to the united states. If you remove guns then the government can do anything and it could also be catastrophic if a foreing country decides to invade. I am not saying that we would ever rebel violently with guns or that we have to rebel violently at all (peaceful talks, voting, and other peaceful options are always better) . I am just saying that if removed, we become powerless just like peasents were with kings.

December 21, 2012 at 1:04 am |
  90. Chuck, Idaho

I do think however that the shooting at the school is very bad and that measures need to be taken to prevent this from happening again. I think we should put a wall around the schools about 200-300 yards away and post a gate with guards and survalence the wall with cameras. I know this sounds harsh but children are r most precious gift and obviously this is a harsh world. We have been putting up walls and guards to protect things for a long time. Villages did it to protect people from animals, castles did to protect against people so my question to you why dont we protect are children more!!!

December 21, 2012 at 1:14 am |
  91. rick mccarty

piers you are right this incident happened with a gun, by some loser. and you want these so called assault weapons banned, why dont you google bath michigan schoolhouse massacre. not one student was killed with a weapon and yet it is still the worst school massacre in americas history.

December 21, 2012 at 3:58 am |
  92. Mike McMahon

There is no doubt that the Nation and many people around the world mourn the loss of innocent lives in Sandy Hook, but CNN should be ashamed for allowing Pierce Morgan to use this tragedy as a platform to push his own PERSONAL agenda. Although I personally don't believe that restricting my Second Ammendment rights will reduce gun violence, I recognize that Americans have the right to debate the issues and ammend laws through the democratic process. I welcome open debate on CNN when they are presented by intelligent people with opposing views because I am willing to keep an open mind. I turned to CNN to help me make some sense of the Sandy Hook tragedy, but found Pierce Morgan verbally attack his guests on two occasions. How many credible guests will be willing to present their opposing views in the future if they can expect Pierce Morgan to call them idiots or incredibly stupid? Pierce is not only pushing a personal agenda, but is manipulating public opinion by limiting the pool of people who would argue for gun rights because they refuse to be insulted on a worldwide network. It would be intolerable if the insults came from an American journalist who were debating their own rights, but Pierce is not an American and underestimates the will of the people when it comes to our Constitution. He may as well be conducting his interviews wearing a red cout and powdered wig.

December 21, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  93. If Not Now, When?

I am SO glad that Piers Morgan is taking up the gun control cause. No other person in the media seems to be willing to do so. He's seen first hand how gun control can prevent the senseless slaughter of innocent children. Thank you, Piers, for not backing down and for calling it like it is.

December 21, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  94. Dave

Piers, you should lead a nationwide campaign to start an organization to counter NRA. I have no doubt that in a matter of days, the membership will far exceed that of NRA.

December 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
  95. Beverly

Bravo, Piers. I am so happy to finally have someone voicing my views on gun control. Too bad it took someone from outside the country to do it. Keep up the good work and don't let them wear you down. We need an advocate.

December 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  96. Steve

Clearly, most everyone has sounded off against Piers Morgan – and rightlky so. But lets add that he made comments that are downright wrong. Claiming these 'assualt rifles' are 'automatic weapons' is factually wronmg. His omment that these guns can shoot hundreds of bullets a minute – is flat out nuts.

And what about the nearly 1 million FULL AUTO guins and silencers that are legally owned – they have NEVER been used in any crimes I am aware of. WHY? Because of stringent background checks and regulations – which I don't have a problem with. What I have a problem with is thinking these AR's are somehow the reason for mass killings. They are not. And the sooner Piers gets his facts straight – the better off we'll all be.

December 21, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  97. CS3

Steve,

You just made the point to why we are having a gun debate... From your own admission crimes are not committed with certain guns because of stringent background checks... So maybe we should have stringent background checks for all gun ownership? Like everyone is acknowledging the fact that crimes are being committed, but not addressing any solutions. I agree that a ban on assault weapons would be meaningless because people are finding ways around the ban, however, a ban on high capacity clips is a comprehensive way to deter the amount of times a person can fire a weapon consecutively. As you stated stringent background for "every" gun purchase is a step in the right direction, but you will always run into a problem where a person can purchase a gun "legally" and have a deranged family member take it and use it for a heinous crime like in Connecticut. So we are back to how many times can a deranged person fire a weapon without reloading. The point is we are going to have incidents that are uncontrollable, but we should not tolerate massive amount of casualties before we use common sense.

December 21, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  98. KathyJ

Hey Piers! Here are the facts.

The key facts are:

• The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world – an average of 88 per 100 people. That puts it first in the world for gun ownership – and even the number two country, Yemen, has significantly fewer – 54.8 per 100 people
    • But the US does not have the worst firearm murder rate – that prize belongs to Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica. In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people
    • Puerto Rico tops the world's table for firearms murders as a percentage of all homicides – 94.8%. It's followed by Sierra Leone in Africa and Saint Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean (Simon Rogers, The Guardian, 22 July 2012). The Guardian is a United Kingdom publication.

December 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
  99. KathyJ

“First and Second Amendment protections were always given the very strongest possible restrictive language – no law shall be passed – shall make no law – inviolable – not be deprived or abridged – not be restrained – shall not be infringed – nor shall the right be infringed – shall make no laws touching – shall make no laws to infringe. The Second Amendment's “right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" language was clearly not intended to allow for extensive reasonable regulation. Rather, it was intended to prevent all laws and regulations that would result in the people being deprived, abridged, restrained, narrowed, or restricted in the exercise of their fundamental right to keep and bear arms” (Young).

December 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
  100. KathyJ

Colin,
    Millitary weapons are tightly controlled and can only be owned by someone who holds a Class 3 license. The process is so expense both in procedure and legal fees that most gun dealers don't even bother to obtain one. Only our military has fully automatic weapons.

December 21, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
  101. Harry

Too much talk about Piers Morgan here. He is not the issue at all. Gun availability should be part of the discussion.. Mental Health of individuals should be part of the discussion. Safety management at schools should be part of the discussion. Values and moral education can be part of the discussion. However the biggest hurdle that we need to deal with is the mental health of our leaders. Too many of our leaders whether political or lobbying groups seem to care too much. They care too much about not compromising and/or being closed minded and stubborn. They care too much about themselves and their roles than what is truly necessary – solutions. We reward narcissistic self centered behavior way too much. If I was a NRA member I would be pissed at the stubbornness of their leaders. They had a chance to show some movement and understanding while still protecting the second amendment – but no. Just like with the fiscal cliff – all issues need to be on the table. Same with the response to the horrifying massacre. Compromise is not evil. Stubbornness can be evil. And I'm seeing too much narcissistic stubbornness .

December 21, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
  102. P.D.

Your name calling will not help anyone, it drives me to change the channel. Teachers cannot be trusted with fire arms and should not be allowed to carry. But the weapon used in the Sandy Hook shooting, a Bushmaster .223, is semi-automatic, not fully automatic, like the weapons you showed during your show on 12-21-12 9:20 p.m. When you lie you bring shame and mistrust. The Zero Dark Thirty commercial was a nice touch. That will help demonize guns.

December 21, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
  103. John

Obviosley Pierce is biased towards gun control. What ever happened to objective reporting?

December 21, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
  104. bobb

Morgan, you need to educate yourself on guns. 223 is not a 'high' powered weapon. I have hunting rifles that are legal and much more powerful. An AR 15 is not a 'machine' gun. Machine guns (fully automatic) have been outlawed in this country for decades. But criminals still have them. And you bring in "experts" that know less about guns then you do. I like the AR 15 because its a gun that I know very well, and its great for home defense. You may not need a gun because you have armed body guards and live in a upscale neighborhood. Most of us in the middle class aren't that fortunate.

December 21, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  105. Mac J

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

December 21, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  106. Mac J

-A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a FREE STATE, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

December 21, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
  107. Donnie

I am not a gun owner but I see both sides of the story. I just lost all respect I've had for Pierce Morgan, He never lets experts against his opinion speak for themselves before he basically tells them to shut up. It seems like its his way or the highway. My belief is that CNN was un bias, but now I see that to be untrue. I like to research things myself before I believe the media and other people. The media ( Pierce Morgan ) is making it seem that an AR-15 is a machine gun and that is simply not the case. Machine guns have been baned in the United States since 1936 according to internet records. I am simply tired of the media telling lies and forcing them into the ears of the public. I used to respect Pierce Morgan and enjoyed his show. I will no longer be watching his show or CNN. I might as well be watching FOX news if I want to hear lies.

December 21, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  108. AHS

He speaks as the AR-15 is some "new" gun on the market.Design was purchased by Colt and first entered what x-pres refereed to as "axis of evil" IMO the larger problems is the proliferation of arms all over the world. Here, I see potential accelerators to problem(s) *whatever we are doing to cause autism/asbergers *too many weird psych drugs on the market *media fed hype creating opportunity for "15 minutes of fame" *star' worship culture *video games and electronics addiction *More and more guns in the hands of people for use against other people-police, military, ect, ect....when I was young guns were more like a shovel, or axe, as a general tool.
    These guns have been around for a half century, why now are they suddenly a problem? This should be the question which needs answers to save lives. The *items above all have in common one thing, they remove one from reality.

December 21, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
  109. AHS

My point about guns to use against people, refer to video of this shooting.Theater to put as many guns in front of cameras as possible-you may detest hunting shows as do I, but the guns are for hunting animals NOT people. If nobody brought the subject up, gun owners for self defense would have guns @ home, without mention. Criminals will always find guns, of course-90% will be small hand guns easily hidden. Few will not be on current radar of any ban.

December 22, 2012 at 12:06 am |
  110. AHS

"Few will not be on current radar of any ban" I meant opposite, few on radar of any gun ban.

December 22, 2012 at 12:09 am |
  111. Joan Murphy

Thank you Piers Morgan for all of your comments about gun control. I agree with you completely and I wish America would wake up and get rid of these semi-automatic guns. These guns have one purpose and that is all – to kill people. Please keep up the good work, I admire your diligence on this topic.

December 22, 2012 at 12:56 am |
  112. geneC.

Piers, Wake up! Do you remember Ted Kizinsky? Yes he was a person who was insane and used hand made bombs to seek out his agenda to kill people. Not Guns. How about the anthrax killer who used biological weapons to kill people. No guns. Now look around the world at all the people killed by chemical weapons by the thousands. How many nuclear war heads are there in the United States 5,500? How many in Europe?(2000) How many in China? (1500)How many in Russia?(8000) Pakastan?(1200) Well I'll tell you. Enough to eliminate life on this planet in a matter of seconds. What are you really more afraid of? Twenty kids killed here and there by unstable people with guns? Or weapons of mass destruction which can kill the entire human race in a matter of seconds.. Can we get our priorities straight? What is more threatening to the human race and our planet? It's a no brainer..Please let's have a responsible conversation on where our priorities should be. Your way off . If these things ever come to pass and be used world wide, I promise you will be on your hands and knees begging for guns to be used as our main form of defense. God Forbid it comes to this. Get off the gun thing because it aint going to happen! We will not give up our weapons which by our constitutional rights are allowed to have and use to defend ourselves. You are working soley for the political machine to subdue Americans in an effort to disarm us making us sheep to be led to slaughter. Again just aint going to happen. We'll fight to the end to protect our constitutional rights. Please go back to England where you will feel much safer.

December 22, 2012 at 3:53 am |
  113. Tracy

It amazes me that You will not interview first responders who pick up the bodies of youth in America on a daily basis, and see what types of guns are used and the overall profile of the shooters.You refused to put trained Criminal investigators "the front Line" on your show.

December 22, 2012 at 5:54 am |
  114. Jim

Mr Morgan, you are out to lunch on this one. Your coverage is totally biased. You mention 34 deaths a day and 10,000 a year. How many of these are from legal gun owners? You talk about rates of automatic weapons, but they are illegal unless you possess a Class III firearms license. Gun control is treating a symptom not a cause. Why are you not addressing the mental healt issues or the illegal aspects of guns or gun safety education?

December 22, 2012 at 6:50 am |
  115. Richard Gordon

I have suddenly become a HUGE Piers Morgan fan. At least somebody in America is willing to tell it like it is regarding Guns in America.

The way I see it America really needs to sit down with a psychiatrist to figure out their obsession with guns.

Once again I was REALLY impressed with Piers Morgan's stance on guns. Quite simply, guns do not belong in a civilized society.

December 22, 2012 at 11:52 am |
  116. Alan

People who wish to kill will always find ways to kill; however, they may find it more difficult to kill many people in a short period of time if we have reasonable gun control. Besides, if we get paranoid, then what do we do about people who may cut our throat while we watch a movie in a theatre? Or explode a bomb while we are eating in a restaurant? Or throw acid on our face while we walk in the street? Shall we bring all the GI’s from around the world and use them as guards at every entrance of a public space? Shall we control every car entering a city limit? And who will pay for all this when we are in such debt? We simply need a Federal Law to limit access to military weapons to the military and the police. People who wish to play with military guns should join the military.
    Ps: I own a pistol and a rifle and am not for making all guns illegal.

December 22, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  117. Richard Gordon

Reading a lot of the comments I see how upset the Gun nuts are for being treated "disrespectfully". It should be pointed out that they deserve NO respect from anybody. They have turned America into the most violent and dangerous country in the world. The gun statistics quoted by Morgan UNDERSTATES the hugely violent nature of gun violence in America. The 11,000 gun murders quoted on his show do not include the 20,000 suicides by guns in America every year.

Guns cause a total of 30,000!!! deaths in America every year.

December 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  118. gene c.

If you take any three southern states in the US, you now have the largest Army in the world. When our leaders become dictators I like to think we can take back control if need be. We need bigger guns and hell why not throw in a few rocket launchers in the mix while your at it. OH crap I didn't take my lithium this morning...Chaou!

December 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  119. diane krause

I remember back in the 1960s,congress passed a law, removing The

Our Father out of the public schools. Nothing is more pleasing to the Heavenly Father than the voice of an innocent child..you silenced those voices and removed the protection of the angels and allowed the evil to enter. You reap what you sow.

December 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
  120. melvin

Good Day
    There is alot wrong with the world. Gun bans are not one of them. I truly believe the violent games are by far a greater issue than gun control. Even the violent movies are truly wrong. I ask all of you who hate guns, watch violent movies and own a violent viedo game. If the government took away the movies and games away what would you do. Let me guess "say hell no". Think about it.. Also look at diane krause report about taking Our Father out of the public school.. What would you do if a violent criminal broke into your house with a gun. Would you stand there or would you shoot first and ask question later. Remember it is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six..

December 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  121. Norm Narancsik

Congratulations Piers, my hat is off to you. I `am a Canadian, born in Austria, lived in Hungary until the 1956 revolution, escaped to Austria and came to Canada in 1957.I had a brother blown up with the remnants of war in Hungary. My father never owned a gun, the war was enough for him. I just read about the proposal of the NRA, good idea if they want to pay for it, they have lots of money to lobby. Most of the people that i heard talk from NRA so far seem" SIMPLE" . I sure hope Obama is able to ban all of the assault rifles, all those special magazines. ONLY ALLOW MUSKET HUNTING those are experts. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PIERS CARS- some should not drive!

December 22, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  122. KathyJ

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed –but DO NOT FORGET what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government - and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws."– Edward Abbey, "Abbey's Road", 1979

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state".– Robert A. Heinlein.

Love your country, but never trust its government. - Robert A. Heinlein.

December 22, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
  123. gene c.

Well said..

December 22, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
  124. gene c.

Just remember one day into the very short future when you ask yourself What Happened? How we whittled away at our beautiful written constitution, How we sold out God and honor and traded it for materialism and greed. How we cast aside our second amendment as if it held no special meaning and gave up all this Country stood for. Yes, one day you will stand there scratching your head asking How could we have let this happen?? Remember just a few short years ago we were ranked the #1 most desirable place on earth to live and now we are ranked 17th. We had the best education ranking in the world, Now we are ranked 27th. We were the richest and most wealthy Nation in the world now our credit rating is slipping and the dollar losing value. So go ahead and strip this country of all that it is until it is unrecognizeable and we will become another third world country at the mercy of the new powers that be.

December 22, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
  125. ampcrocker

Thank you Piers for bringing the discussion on gun control to our public. This madness has to stop and the NRA has to start thinking about what is in the interest of the majority of Americans rather than on their dangerous business that has caused so many deaths. Piers keep it going, you have done an excellent job.

December 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
  126. Guy

Piers seems surprised that his London tabloid style of attack journalism is irking some Americans. I wonder how one of us would be received in England if we went on a TV rant about how ridiculous the monarchy is and the Queen should be de-throned and called an Englishman who disagreed with us a "stupid" man. England has a lot of problems and I think they could use Piers back there to help solve them.

December 23, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  127. Sandy Pachos

American's need to consider that the views of Piers Morgan represent perhaps those views of a a large chunk of the human population. Their constitution is outdated relating to the stupidity that they have the right to bear arms in a modern society where gun lobby groups favour lack of gun control for high powered rifles that fall into the hands of mindless murderers. Americans need to change their attitudes, have a referendum for better gun control with amendments to their constitution.

December 23, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
  128. Robert

I realize that you are coming from a country where guns are not that common. I realize by the way that you speak of them that you have NO idea what you are talking about. However, you do not start a debate on any issue by telling someone that they are an idiot. We all know that there are no guns in the UK. Great for them. If you want to have no way to defend yourself, then move there. However, this is OUR country, not YOURS. We have a 2nd Amendment. If you outlaw AR's, then you would have to outlaw ALL semi-automatic firearms. They all have (roughly) the same rate of fire. If you are (as you have stated) okay with semi-auto's to defend the home, or as sporting rifles, then you should be okay with AR's. They are being used as home defense weapons and as hunting rifles by a number of personal acquaintances of mine. Just b/c they look more sinister than an old looking M1 Garand, does not make them more or less lethal. Before you speak of weapons, PLEASE educate yourselves. CNN, your news anchors sound like fools. They are even mispronouncing the names of the weapons they are obviously trying to outlaw, and it has got to be embarrassing. If you wanted to start a debate, Peirce, then you have succeeded. Just look at the people on this one thread who think you are a joke, and are actively defending their 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms.

December 24, 2012 at 1:09 am |
  129. Dude

i am not sure what the second amendment says or gives in terms of right. but laws are invented based on the requirement on one point of time. America is no longer the country that it once was when they pended down the second amendment Times have changed and it calls for better not worse. you guys has a better technology and education compared to most of the countries in the world the question is when will you start using them and stop something primitive such as a gun for self protection.
    i rather see the govt invest more time equally learning different way for self defense and keeping the mentally insane at bay to just passing control laws .
    ( Piers though your intention may been good, the way you conducted that argument has turned against you. hope you better yourself soon)

December 24, 2012 at 1:14 am |
  130. chris

civilians should have a right to bear arms. look at the revolutionary war when the us troops could not do anything to stop the british but the militas stepped up and won.that is why we have the 2nd amendment . now we have a british guy complaining that we need to do away with are guns that guy needs to go back to britain if he thinks everything is better over the pond. i feel terrible about the shootings and i think there should be more protections at schools like taser guns or pepper spray and if guns have rubber bullets for the guns. something that they can get the attacker down long enough to get the gun off them. but do not punish every gun owner out there it was not us. i have kids and i would like more protection in the schools but i do not want to lose my right to go out and target shoot with friends . god bless the victims and there familys

December 24, 2012 at 4:03 am |
  131. jann haworth

I am so tired of 'goody two shoes' anchors who are more concerned about appearing NICE than digging into the real issue at hand.

Thank you Piers for your British NO NONSENSE 'call them to account' stand. If the NRA can't stand the heat they can get out of the kitchen. Please will someone start a petition in support of Piers and free speech????

December 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  132. Ruben F

The First Amendment to the Constitution contains the provision “Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech. . .” Does that mean that I can call someone on the phone or get up on a stump and threaten to kill or physically hurt someone? Who amongst us would not think that although a spoken threat is “speech” a civilized society should place some reasonable restraint on the use of language that would prevent one person from threatening harm on another? Do we as Americans not enjoy the right to go a court of law and sue someone who has slandered us in speech or libeled us in print or do we simply say, “the First Amendment lets that liar say whatever he may?” Is it wrong for the government to step in and punish those who walk into a crowded theater and yell fire? To these questions, even the most hardened libertarian will say it is self evident that a reasonable prohibition on speech that harms others is reasonable EVEN IF the Constitution explicitly prohibits the government from abridging someone’s freedom to speech. Then why is it un-American to speak out against gun ownership when these guns are used to kill so many young people across this nation? 12,000 people are killed a year using guns. That’s four 9-11s this year.

20 children were murdered using an assault weapon ten days ago. How many people were killed when a person yelled fire in a theater this year? Yet, a restraint on the latter is reasonable and a restraint on the possession of weapons is un-American. This is pure nonsense: reasonable regulation of any of the freedoms granted in the Bill or Rights is the price we pay to live in a civilized society. The founding fathers intended these freedoms as a shield from government interference and not as a sword that gives citizens free reign to hurt others. That is why certain types of speech is regulated, why certain practices in the name of religion are prohibited, why the press cannot lie about people without getting sued, why citizens cannot assemble for the purposes of looting a city, and why certain weapons, weapons whose sole purpose is to kill other human beings, should be banned.

Clearly something is askew in our political discourse when things that seem self-evident (such as a ban on assault weapons) are immediately couched “politicization” and “patriotism.” Morgan shouldn’t be deported. We should bring over your entire family and others like you from across the pond. Seems that you are the only person with the guts to stand up to the insensitive, illogical, and mean-spirited NRA and their paid lackeys who hold office by way of the NRA’s purse strings.

That petition is moronic and I sincerely hope that Morgan and CNN are unfazed by it. In fact, if I had my dithers, I would vote to amend the constitution so that foreigners could run for president!!

PIERS MORGAN IN 2016! …

How’s that for a petition…

December 24, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
  133. ange

I agree with you Pierce, some americans are so stupid!!!!!! After all this innocent children have shot to death and all the best solution is to get more guns. How absurd is that statement coming from the NRA.

December 25, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  134. Chalks

Is he asking or ordering to have stiffer laws. Someone explain to me what he has said. My wi if is terrible and I can't get a transcript of the interview. Thanks kind people

December 25, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  135. phaine

Maybe Morgan is doing you all a favor and saving a lot of lives: calling for a ban on assault weapons! If you don't want to see a reduction of these weapons on the streets, you must be very very stupid! I am not sure what your level of education is, but, to all of you who tell him he's a guest in this country, unless we are Native American, we are all guests here! Keep up the great work Morgan! Just ignore the ignorant individuals from the boonies-they do not represent much of America anyhow!

December 25, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
  136. Hais

Keep up the great work Mr. Morgan! I'm sorry that you hurt the feelings of the NRA and those who are too ignorant to know that you are right and truly care for American lives! As you can tell, neither the NRA or gun manufacturers care about us! All they want is to sell their deadly products to as many people as possible and watch their bottom line! They couldn't care less about our children being killed on the streets of America every day!

December 25, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
  137. Thomas

To all the ignorant individuals on this blog! Go and research what the NRA and gun manufactures really care about! I think you will find that THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU! And listen to this: Piers Morgan CARES ABOUT THE LIVES OF AMERICANS! THAT IS WHY HE SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL! Do you get it now?

December 25, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  138. Julian Rawle

Throughout his public life, Piers Morgan has shown himself to be arrogant, rude, ignorant, and callous. He is not someone I would invite to my home BUT he is the perfect catalyst to ensure that this debate does not die out the way it usually does after one of these atrocities. He is an outsider, he is in a position of immense influence, and he doesn't care if he is deported! Already, he has provoked people on this web site to contribute to the debate (some more helpfully than others). I have seen a number of great suggestions which would not undermine the dreaded 2nd Amendment. And perhaps most striking are the reasoned comments from gun owners who recognize that something needs to be done. Compromise seems to be a rare commodity in this country these days but we owe it to the victims of Sandy Hook and all other victims of gun violence to make sure that this moment is not lost. Keep going Piers!

December 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  139. righty

I was watching Morgan and I thought I was watching MSNBC

December 26, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
  140. faineroxor

"Is the media to blame", "NO, absolutely not." I wouldn't accept blame for these shooting either, particularly if I was a leftist news channel like CNN profiting from the tragedies of the world. Accepting money from governments to create pro-government propaganda around the globe. Google Amber Lyon Propaganda, this media coverage is ridiculous. The point of the press is to provide UNBIASED news coverage, when you have to go to three sources and read articles covering the same topic to get to the truth there is a problem with our news reporting and it all comes back to corporate greed. Thank you and good night.

January 2, 2013 at 8:22 am |
  141. K jones

Piers, as a Canadian who travels in the us frequently I support your outrage on the gun issue. Please keep the issue in the forefront. I am scared to stay in a motel on the edge of Chicago or most big us cities. My hunter friends would tell you Assault weapons are poor for duck hunting, and handguns don't do a good job on deer. So they are only designed to kill people, they need to be banned.
    If they deport you you would be welcome to do your show from Toronto, maybe a roadshow to highlight our laws would help? Also I would suggest getting some church leaders on and ask them to buy back guns! If churches would buy back guns to save lives in their neighbourhoods it might spread....it would put a dint in the existing gun stock and so work with a ban on sales to improve safety and the statistics. Good luck you can make a difference.

January 6, 2013 at 11:40 am |
  142. Chanell

I am from Perto Rico and we had 1, 200 violent gun related murders we are in American territory and are not being counted in you statistics. We are american citicenz and are coverd under the contitution of the USA. We do regulate gun ownership but very lightly. I am 100% behind Piers Morgan and I believe a true american, Is someone who cares for this country and the people. Piers cares so much he went trough all that yelling with that histeric Alex guy, without punching him in the nose. I haven't seen love for another country like that.Bravo Piers.And thank you for having the guts to really fight the good fight with ideas and and the right action instead of guns and screaming.

January 9, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
  143. JL

There is a General that is saying that AR-15's only belong to the military because they push a 55gr .22 caliber bullet to around 3200 fps. The regular factory load for the 150 grain spitzer bullet in the .30-06 hunting rifle has a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2,910 fps with muzzle energy (ME) of 2,820 ft. lbs. A little slower, but hits with much more energy.

January 9, 2013 at 9:31 pm |
  144. Mark

I believe what gun proponents are saying to the public is the death of these kids and adults is the price you have to pay for your second amendment rights.

January 9, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
  145. creedwaitMD

Piers, in his usual self-righteous style feels that anyone who does not see the same solutions that he sees "doesn't care." Piers, I am heartbroken over this situation. Devastated. But I simply do not see the same solutions that you crow about from your bully pulpit. I feel that when people are surrounded at every turn by images of violence, murder and mayhem then behavior within society will imitate the media onslaught of violence. I do not feel that guns are the problem. I believe the problem is more complicated than this simplistic answer. Young children now spend their free time playing fantasy video games where they kill police, murder prostitutes and win through violence. Brooke just did a story about video games and violence. She states that there is no known association between violent media and social behavior. There is phenomenal evidence that she is wrong. Think about this: if media content does not affect behavior then why do advertisers pay $4,000,000 per minute for advertising during the Super Bowl? Brooke, please get more facts!!!

January 11, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
  146. Dave Miles

The reason why we Americans like our guns is because we don't want our government doing what England did to the Irish and Scottish people.

January 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
  147. Paul Brown

No offense Piers but haven't a clue when it comes to talking about the american firearms, and I have watched long enough as you ask a question and as sson as the person tries to answer it you interupt, because they are not saying what you want them to say. You are looking for the answer "why does any civilian need an AR 15?"I will tewll you why, for me it is the most reliable , accurate varmint and target shooting gun I own. Thats it thats all I need to say. If you want a Lexus instead of a Prius that is your freedom to choose that Lexus...we the People of the Unted states have all of their freedoms and our freedom of choice...But Piers amybe you should do a little back ground reading on the history of the USA, do you realize how many thousands of soldiers have given there lives to protect OUR freedoms??
    You are absolutely the WROMG person to be talking about our rights to own guns and what guns you think we should own....you don't have a horse in this race.
    Piers please tell me , what style weapons and capacity of magazines are YOUR bodyguards carrying???

January 16, 2013 at 9:48 pm |