Today on CNN Newsroom

May 9th, 2013

Nancy Grace: ‘I am stunned’

CNN’s Brooke Baldwin and HLN’s Nancy Grace discuss the next phase of the Jodi Arias trial and the latest developments in the Cleveland kidnapping and rape investigation.

Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. J.A. Smith

Nancy, as a 34 yr. health professional, I can tell you the reason that Jodi is placed in a psych facility is purely based on her threat or verbal expression of suicide and/or wish to die. Certainly we know that she is not mentally incapacitated, and likely not truly suicidal, HOWEVER, the Sheriff and facility have to take precautions because they are legally liable if something happens to her. Dr. Drew did not "get" it either, he was saying that she had to have mental health problems or she would not have been admitted to the psych unit in jail – yet a prisoner is not the same as a free citizen. A free, independent person would have to have a doctor order a 72-hr. hold then a court hearing to hold in psych unit (against their will), but a prisoner is legally the responsibility of the State or County, therefore they make the decision to send for confinement or assessment; that of course is done by the medical professionals, but they do not have to be the ones to commit her. I also think Jodi is MORE a Sociopath with Narcissism, and probably a Borderline component. Her actions, detachment, bewilderment at how normal people act and what is expected in certain situations is telling. She tries to fill in what she thinks is appropriate, but misses the mark very often! The Sociopath part is evident in her "charm" and the facs that she left home at age 14, was always lying, & she cannot hold a job. Other components make her a complicated personality disorder, such as trying to ingratiate herself by becoming a Mormon in short order (not that she believed any of the religion; but she learned to spout the philosophy). She was into witchcraft and other dark practices before, probably to ingratiate or make herself attractive to the man. The interview, I learned tonite, was set up by a phone call from Jodi to the news reporter prior to reading of the verdict. You can hear all the rules she sets out and how calm and almost unconcerned she seems in this phone call. Of course she attempts to control everything. Tell Dr. Drew to calm down, she has been moved due to the verbal threat of suicide. Period. I think the cancellation of court Thursday has something to do with the judge finding out that Jodi called the reporter before the verdict and arranged an interview! It's unbelievable how she can sully Travis' name by saying he had sick appetites (surely she was the sexual aggressor and teacher! So disgusting that she even says now that he was unclean and a hypocrite, but as the psychotic she is, she turns it around and professes that she did not want the "awful truth" about him to come out. B.S. If that were true, she would have confessed to murder at the beginning and taken a deal. There is nothing that she does which is not calculated to be self-serving. I would like to give her "life" to make her suffer, but I don't want a person with these sick traits to live and (probably) vicitmize other people. Don't get me started on the idea of her being a mother ... That would be one sick and psychologically abused kid. Now, just a P.S. (and I am not saying that Jodi actually has migraines, but it's possible) Migraine is NOT a headache. It's a crushing, crippling syndrome of nerve and muscle pain, exploding head or base of skull (like an atom bomb with every heartbeat). It affects your entire system, the nerves: shaking, drooping of one eyelid, tearing-up of the eye(s), pain that feels like someone ripped your head off – but continues to feel like that happens every few seconds, pain that is so oppressive that it (the pain) extends outward from your body 2 to 4 feet and feels like it's crushing you. Migraine is a form of spinal headache, but the syndrome is much worse, also causing vomiting, inability to sleep due to pain, and can last for days. I write this for you because you have been so dismissive of Migraine as a headache. Believe me, I don't even bother to take regular Tylenol for a "normal" headache because it's so insignificant. If you haven't experienced Migraine, don't ever judge. However, I do believe that Jodi should be banned from contacting the press, banned from watching TV, banned from using the phone – any phone and any computer. She is just too slippery and manipulative, and will try anything. Oh my, I've written an essay. Suffice it to say, I have been interested in this case since it was on Dateline in 2009 and I said then that she DID IT.

May 10, 2013 at 5:24 am |
  2. John Tyler Erie, Pa

You shouldn't be stunned Nancy you've been around these wacko cases for many years. I think they should take this nut job off of suicide watch since she shows no remorse. She's already taken one life in such a cruel manner that if she wants to take hers so be it. Why should taxpayers have to foot the bill for someone that wouldn't benefit society from being in jail since she'll never walk the streets again,

May 10, 2013 at 9:24 am |
  3. amontagno

Let JA commit suicide if that's what she really wants. Call her bluff – walk by her cell and slide a razor under the bars. My money says she is bluffing – she loves herself too much to commit suicide.

May 11, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
  4. michael F.

What is Nancy Grace so ANGRY about? She gets really personally caught up in all this stuff, twisting up her face and spitting out her snarly opinions...take a chill pill, lady...

May 11, 2013 at 11:17 pm |
  5. nll

I think she is trying to use reverse psychology on the rather be dead now then later thing just like she did in court. She needs to live to be punished for what she did.I just WISH the news would spend as much time on lost children as they do on crime news.

May 12, 2013 at 12:07 am |
  6. nickdangerca

To J. A. Smith.
    As a fellow health professional I think most of your comments are spot on but I am wondering if you used the phrase Psychotic when you were intending Psychopathic. I don't think you ever suggested she was out of touch with reality or any other aspect that would merit a Psychotic label.

May 12, 2013 at 3:24 am |
  7. Ed

What is the big freakin deal? You're facing the death penalty, you're gunna comment about the future and what you'd prefer. Who cares?

May 12, 2013 at 7:23 am |
  8. Brenda

Nancy, you can't still be possibly 'stunned' by anything.

May 12, 2013 at 10:17 am |
  9. Gerry

Nancy said "I am Stunned".
    We must ask – "Is this news?"
    Anyone who has watched her show knows this🙂

May 12, 2013 at 10:42 am |
  10. Neen

$1.7 million spent on this case? That's a disgrace right there. Taxpayers eat it again

May 12, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
  11. annieR

Too much attention has been given to this psychopath who is still smearing the character of a wonderful, kind young man. She thrives on the attention. Why she hasn't been cut off from contacting media, Twitter etc is beyond me. I will be happy when she gets sent off, never to be heard from again.

May 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
  12. sean g

I am not saying she is innocent or should go free, but I have never been in a situation where i was hurt so deeply that I would consider violence against someone, but everyone has their breaking point. Would you think about the OJ case differently if you found out that OJ ran into Nichole the day before the murder and she said "hey me and my new BF are spending all your money and driving your car! Hahahaha!"

Im just saying there are things we will never know about – its possible she was head over heels in love and he turned into a jerk and betrayed her in a cruel way and it pushed her over the edge.

And as for her lying – wouldn't you? She is facing a very grim future, i would lie too in her shoes.

May 12, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
  13. Bryan

What?! You want to kill yourself?! No, no... That's our job...we'll pay for that for you. Now, just sit here in this room and let us feed and care for you for the rest of your life. Huh?? No problem. You're welcome.

May 13, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
  14. kirkdudley

She really does not want to die she is hoping for a breakout! Either way no one wins! Taxpayers or her. She is toast! (melba) for sure.

May 13, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
  15. donna tyson

In the beginning of the sex tape Jodi Arias is talking to Travis about his new book, discussing who he had listed in the list of people he was sayig had helped him on the book. There was a woman listed, and Jodi was telling Travis she should have been listed in the credits also. Then they get into the sex tape. It was said she told Travis she was going to an attorney on Monday, I believe she was helping him possibly with his book "1000 places to Visit Before You Die"... Possibly since she didn't get credit for helping on the book she then set up the killing, perhaps on the idea that he would die and never finish his 1000 places to visit before he died. I think some one in the news media should check into this... perhaps the real motive for the killing?

May 13, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
  16. Polarbob

I'm stunned you're still on TV.

May 13, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Dana Higgins

You're stunned? I'm underwhelmed.

May 13, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
  18. danielwalldammit

Nncy Grace has absolutely no insight whatsoever.

May 14, 2013 at 2:24 am |
  19. heywood

HLN, that used to be the Head Line News Network, right? They reported actual News and didnt just jump on a story and ride it for dear life until boredom, right ? If memory serves, it was an actual news channel, not a news magazine channel.

May 14, 2013 at 11:31 am |
  20. Andy

Nancy Grace:"I am stunned. Lets go across the parking lot to Ashleigh Banfield. Ashleigh, do we have you?"
    Ashleigh Banfield: "Yes Nancy, but I can't hear you well. There is too much road noise in this parking lot we are both sitting in."

May 14, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
  21. DavidS

You are all aware that HLN is yellow journalism right? Consequently, our constitution has been altered. The burden of proof has been shifted to the defendant, prosecutors are regularly overcharging to “settle” for a charge they’d like, due process has been thrown out the window, the presumption of innocence has disappeared, and trial-by-media is the new law of the land. This trial was jacked from the start. Not sequestering the jury? No concrete proof of premed? Everything has been circumstantial. Listen, I agree she deserves manslaughter or murder 2, but this trial did not constitute murder 1. And let me add, it's human instinct to protect yourself... everybody is capable of being pushed to doing what she did, and you're a flat out liar if you'd say you wouldn't lie to protect yourselves.

HLN is an entertainment show akin to The Enquirer tabloid magazine. While many believe they’re a source for news, they’re not a news source. They’re sole purpose is to do what The Enquirer did: rouse emotions and profit of fake, garbage yellow journalism. Sad.

May 14, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
  22. dynamochen

God forbid you're ever charged with a crime and featured on this woman's show. She'll convict you in the public as much as look at you. And it's not about this latest internet-fueled lurid prime-time case that will likely be an SVU episode soon. We're told daily that our American system of justice is broken and somehow that justifies people like Nancy skewering the accused on global TV to assure that even if they're proven innocent they won't escape persecution. Perhaps the defendant should wear scarlet letters on them but use TV instead of an A. So you will know they were convicted on television.

May 15, 2013 at 9:41 am |
  23. nitlite

Based on many of these posts I have come to the conclusion that people who hate Nancy Grace watch her anyway.

May 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
  24. DeNorte

Arpaio's 'guys' have managed to kill much less 'deserving' folks in the past.... But somehow I think they'll manage to avoid an accidental death in this case.

May 15, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
  25. drconradfitz

Just curious if J.A. Smith is a 34 y/o "Health Professional", or HP with 34 years of experience? As a physician, I find it difficult to fathom having the spare time to A. Follow the Arias trial, and B. Construct such a meticulous assessment.
    I'd love to have your hours!
    Dr. Fitz

May 16, 2013 at 8:46 am |
  26. jon

I agree that shows like Nancy Grace's should not be on the air. Her form of sensationism sways peoples' thinking (in the wrong direction), and, although under the First Amendment I suppose, court cases should not be tried in the public's eye by ranting and raving people like Nancy Grace. She serves no good purpose except to provide a "night light" if her show happens to be on after dark. And in this case, I also do not agree that this was premeditated "Murder 1."

May 16, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
  27. AlongTheWay

Stunned. Really? You're our modern-day Tammy Faye. You sound upset with every interview. You're nearly in tears for half of them. Blah. Have had to stop watching you all together. It's more drama than news. And this story should never have been covered half as much as it was.

May 17, 2013 at 8:42 am |
  28. Leanne Bordelais

Jodi i snot suicidal. I do not think innocent womyn have anything to feel suicidal about.

May 17, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
  29. just sayin

i really cant stand nancy she seems to think everyone should agree with her opinion and guess what nancy we dont

May 17, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
  30. ivy

I used to watch NG religiously. I applauded her for advocating for the lost and missing children. She has turned into though a journalist/lawyer who only pursues cases for sensationalism. I no longer watch her and have not watched anything about the Jodie Arias case. From the beginning of this case to the end I refused to watch any news coverage of this case. Nancy Grace is a joke. The only way she will be removed is if others do what I did over a year ago and do not watch her. Eventually they will have to take her off the air.

May 18, 2013 at 9:43 am |
  31. Kaelinda

I have never watched Nancy Grace because the commercials for her show disgust me. She claims that she 'gets...to...make...a difference,' and I can believe that. She gets to distort the perspective of the average viewer. I have heard of the way she twists up and distorts her face while she's making her inflammatory comments, and I have no desire to see that. I watch 'Mystery Detectives' before and after her show, but switch to another channel when 'Nancy Grace Mysteries' comes on. I wouldn't watch her show for a million dollars. Maybe for a billion, but never for a mere million.

May 19, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
  32. Wildy

I think the FEDs need to investigate why Nancy Grace hates Jodi Arias.

May 20, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
  33. Derek

Why should anyone care if Nancy Grace is "stunned" ... as if she is an authority figure? I am frankly still stunned over her lack of production values with her recent parking lot stunt.

May 21, 2013 at 6:18 am |
  34. RoseMary Kenney

If it wasn't for individual's as in Nancy Grace, John Walsh, Mark Klaas: and other's TO WHOM have been the victims of crime, then you would not have a whole lot of people who have (UNFORTUNATELY) experienced not only loss, but also the victimization of either they, themselves, or their LOVED ONES?? Then: you that criticize Nancy, would never want to walk in her shoes... Nonetheless, it's nothing but attrocious that person who is re-victimizing the Alexander's with not only her interviews with the media, but also the smiling and joking with those who are supposed to represent the LAW: are partaking in her stupidity.... When one of you who speaks against Nancy Grace, or anyone else who might have YOUR loved one in the media because they are either missing, or has been victimized: is that what it will take for you to bite your tongue before being so judgemental?? Jodi Arias not only slaughtered, but with her sick stalking mind, mentally and emotionally tortured Travis Alexander: and for that? If I was a juror, my vote would be for the death penalty.... She continues to re-visit the Alexander's in engaging them in their suffering by not knowing how in the hell to keep her mouth: shut.. I hope and pray that the Alexander's get the justice for their brother that they are seeking... Yes: in the end, which will be the bitter end, God will be the ultimate judge.. But while we are on this earth: we need true and swift justice: not the kind that has another high-profile criminal free to do and say what she wants: Casey Anthony.......... They both: as having been noted in the media, two of the most hated women on this earth...

May 22, 2013 at 9:10 pm |
  35. sixpackbinky

If Jodi wants to die, they can give her that... in the form of a death penalty.

May 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
  36. maria

I can't wait until this woman-murderer disappear from this earth really, I can't comprehend how this aberrant murderer still in the news, this woman manipulate the TV tabloids ,the news, like a puppet ,after she committed this horrible crime how come she still given interviews ? enjoying every second? I never hear of saw a trial like this not even OJ got so much attention ,she is a manipulator ,a user and abuser she knows how to make this people fell and surrend to her idiotics erratic charades ,I hope and pray she is gone soon and this morons of jurors decide soon her fate perhaps the death penalty ,they are not chosen it because the fact she is a woman ...who cares many women had been in death row and even dead already what is so special about this abominable monster? why they don't think about his family? the pain he suffered? they are thinking about Miss Prissy ... this woman is a cold hearted criminal after the parade for being the victim she is now telling the rue ...she killed him ,but still smearing his name with the stupid tees with the logo survivor I thing the Organization of women victims of violence (I hope) don't agree with her promotions .....can they this jurors be fired and choose another twelve people? why they taking so long? one seconds is too much for this animal to be alive and breath our air indeed!

May 24, 2013 at 3:03 am |
  37. JD

If the murderer wants to die, let her. It would save us money on the execution or incarceration (if she doen't do it) and hours of having to listen to Nancy Grace. Win-win.

May 24, 2013 at 8:23 am |
  38. TerryS

The truth makes no difference to NG and all the other talking heads on that channel. All of them are prosecutors who failed and could not find a real job. So sad that our system of justice begins with distorting the facts and the truth only to obtain a guilty verdict, and the whole thing ends up being a liar's poker game.

Jodi and Travis were like two minks. Any man who saw some of the photos of Jodi knows why Travis was mesmerized. They were both in a sexual relationship and loved it. Travis was certainly not a victim of a sexual predator. His mistake was developing a new partner before ending the relationship with Jodi. She is not the first woman scorned, and some of us know what that can lead to. We will never know what went on before the attack. We will never know the conversation before the attack. But, I cannot believe she planned a killing. Quite the contrary, she was planning a renewal of their "love" and strengthening of their relationship. Something made them both snap, and she got the advantage. She killed him, but it was not Murder 1.

May 24, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
  39. Tom

Secretly she looooves Jodi because Nancy Grace is just about the ratings and an excuse for her to vent her own life frustrations while appeasing her own superiority complex and deranged sense of purpose.

Nancy Grace == Joe McCarthy

Your much better off watching Pee Wee Herman, and in another year she'll thankfully fade away. At least Pee Wee was funny in a funny way and not some totally weird way like Nancy Grace. She is just a spiteful, hateful person who is full of herself.

May 27, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
  40. max_headrooom

As Dr Drew stated, Jodi suffers from BPD – Borderline Personality Disorder. This condition results from a severely dysfunctional childhood, and results in severe mood and behavior disturbances in adulthood. People with BPD have a 400 times greater likelihood to commit suicide, especially when under extreme stress like Jodi is experiencing here. No no surprise she would be on watch.

May 28, 2013 at 5:30 am |
  41. Scott

Well said J.A. Smith.

June 3, 2013 at 10:36 am |
  42. xnyer

1.7 million spent already give Jodi life with no chance of parole, and save the state some money. And the Alexander family will have closure.....plus Nancy stunned you should have been already with the Casey anthony verdit remember you had her convicted and sentenced to death before trail started

June 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
  43. Emily

I couldn't agree more with Nancy Grace! She is 100% right and as a woman who has experienced such tragedy it is completely understandable why she feels so strongly about a situation like this. She has a lot of knowledge when it comes to law and people would be wise to listen to what she has to say. I have no simpathy for someone who murders an individual out of anger. Jodi Arias is an adult, if he was so abusive towards her, she should have left him and moved on with her life, she wasn't bound to him in anyway, no excuses.

June 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm |
  44. Brutus

Ease up on Nancy G... The Georgia Supreme Court attacked her ethics only once or twice.

June 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
  45. liz k

On the rare occasion I watch Nancy Grace, she actually makes me feel sorry for the people she is attacking.....no matter what they did!

June 7, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
  46. Bar M

The only reason people tune in is to she what kind of lies she is going to tell next. It is a fact "she plays fast and loose"
    with all the cases she discusses. Her threats to "cut the mic" has become old and such a drama..her looking down for
    the button to push. The 2 attorneys Eleanor and Peter Odom are her Atlanta attorney friends, they are married together. Eleanor is known as the "singing prosecutor" ....who brought out a birthday cake and sang happy birthday
    in the courtroom. The high court ripped her for that act...quite a story. Nancy always gives Peter a bad time, and
    likes for people to think she is so much smarter than him.
    "

July 18, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
  47. Bar

Max – When did Dr Drew examine Jodi Aries...to state she had "Borderline Personality Disorder:" I would have thought he would have run some tests, etc Or, at least have an appointment with her and an examination of some sort. Or
    was he just sitting in a studio facing a camera making his determination on HLN. What the hay?

July 18, 2013 at 5:35 pm |