Today on CNN Newsroom

June 19th, 2013

Steve Gleason's fight with ALS

After 3 radio DJs were fired for poking fun at Steve Gleason and ALS, Suzanne Malveaux sheds light on the disease

Post by:
Filed under: Suzanne Malveaux
  1. Henrietta P.

Thanks Suzanne for bringing this to our television screens. My former colleague was diagnosed with ALS. I never saw him in the midst of his ailment because he moved away, but I knew he fought the fight. My heart and prayers go out to you Mr. Gleason and your family. I'm quite sure when I watch this series I will indeed be moved. I'm also sure I'll be watching a man with tremendous strength and courage. I look forward to meeting you Mr. Gleason in the upcoming series and hearing your story! Stay strong and stay lifted!

June 19, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
  2. Henrietta P.

So glad Mr. Gleason is living beyond and not beneath those three stooges who were fired. Their circus act was truly uncalled for. It shows the very depths of who they really are – no heart, no empathy, just plain cruel. Mr. Gleason's positive impact on this world will live beyond his physical presence here on earth...that impact will last forever!

June 19, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
  3. thebabysitterdenver

Suzanne, Good for you for spending so much time in that segment to highlight Steve and ALS instead of the shameful DJ's who mocked him. A man is being robbed of his physical being and eventually his life, his young son will not have his father, and those 3 somehow found humor in such awful pain, shame on them. Like yourself though I will think instead of Steve and his family, hopefully a cure will be found soon for ALS and all of the other muscle wasting diseases that disastrously affect so many .

June 20, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
  4. Henrietta P.

June 20, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Leslie

Great piece to do awareness on this depilating disease. I just wondered If Steve was ever checked for Lyme disease via a credible lab such as Igenex in California? This really is heartbreaking and I would really like to see him be made aware of this misdiagnoses. The standard tests are not good with many false negatives. Take it from someone who was misdiagnosed with MS.

June 24, 2013 at 10:42 am |
  6. Carol

I will be watching your ALS segments. My husband was diagnosed at the age of 63 and that was in July of 2012. He has the straight Bulbar onset. At first, we thought he had a stroke, but as time went on we found out differently. This disease has really changed our lives dramatically. Last month on the 15th of May he had to have a feeding tube inserted. He no longer talks and he really doesn't eat solids, just the liquid in the tube. My heart goes out to these people, cause I know what they are going through.

June 25, 2013 at 11:14 pm |
  7. Mike

When is this series going to air? your dates do not match with the days mentioned. Has it been rescheduled?

June 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
  8. Susan

ALS needs awareness and a cure, not mockery!

July 3, 2013 at 10:54 am |
  9. Melissa

Carol, my father was also diagnosed this past year, October with Bublar ALS at the age of 51. I would say he has lost 90% of speaking abilities and swallowing, breathing are becoming a struggle. I pray for your family and all the families affects by this horrible disease. I never imagined at 23 watching my father fight to live, it is heartbreaking.

July 5, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
  10. Carol from Carlsbad

A previous poster recommended that ALS victims be tested at Igenex labs for Lyme Disease and co-infections. Lyme Disease masquerades as ALS, Parkinson's, Alzheimers and many other diseases. Lyme disease is controllable, maybe curable. At least, check it out. Suzanne, you could do a great service to all Americans by doing an expose on Lyme Disease.

July 28, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
  11. In home personal training Long Island

They should never we able to be on the radio never again. This disease is so bad and no one deserves to have it or be made fun of because they
    have it. Steve Gleason keep fighting the good fight! CNN thank you for reporting this story.

December 12, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
  12. personal training Long Island

Disease is nothing to joke about, ever. I am glad the three of them were fired. How would they feel if the tables were turned, or if people were poking fun at their family or friends? A laugh is never worth hurting someone in the process.

January 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm |