Today on CNN Newsroom

June 26th, 2013

Trayvon Martin's friend testifies

Rachel Jeantel, Trayvon Martin's friend, took the stand at George Zimmerman's trial to detail Martin's last moments.

Post by:
Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. misty santana

The ultimate measure of a wo/man is not where s/he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. ~ Martin Luther King Junior.
    This child on the stand re Treyvon Martin who is being grilled by the Prosecutor is obvioulsy traumatized AND UPSET THAT SHE WAS SPEAKING WITH TREYVON WHEN HE WAS SHOT! The man shot and killed a child– for what walking along takling on a Cell Phone and eating Skittles- a *self appointed Vigilante!!!!!!! eventually something horrid would happen because of that and it has!
    So is a new suit tie and shirt daily going give him the appearnace of kindness, decency– gentlemanly behavior!!! and has he ever been subjected to an emotional intelligence test or any other test to see just what makes this person tick!
    What a travesty!!!!!

misty santana Canada

June 27, 2013 at 10:42 am |
  2. Mike Dee

Sunny, you seem determined to go "down with the ship" that is Rachel Jeantel. YOUR credibility will soon come into question if you continue this position of denial.

June 27, 2013 at 10:44 am |
  3. Mike Dee

To All: Please understand my previous comment has nothing to do with my personal feeling of tragedy to the situation. As a father of both a Son and Daughters, my heart goes out to all affected. My point, is to ignore the fact that Rachel Jeantel could be a more beneficial witness to the prosecution is absurd.
    The prosecution should have better prepared the witness. It is because I want to see justice for Trevon and his family, that I comment at all.

June 27, 2013 at 10:53 am |
  4. Tayana

Get this anchor off of the air! She's prejudiced and it's coming through loud and clear.

June 27, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
  5. Ronda

It sure seems like Ashleigh Banfield really has it out for Rachel. Is a witness expected to treat a badgering lawyer with upmost respect despite the treatment received? This lawyer is not the judge in this courtroom, and I don't think he or any other lawyer is entitled to any more respect than anyone else involved in court proceedings. I don't blame her for occasionally losing her cool with him.

June 27, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
  6. Mauride Carrigan

I keep hearing those you talk to about this witness and I'm not of the same opinion as they are. To Me this witness has been shown that she is not credible and the longer she is on the stand just re enforces that. It seems to me that some of your analysis are bias in some ways.

June 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
  7. IonStorm

I am not sure what the defense atty is up to. While Rachel is young and still in high school, and not the perfect witness, him dragging this along only raises her support in the courtroom. Since this is on TV, and as he continues to grill and nit pick, he creates the image that he's a beast and that he's picking on her.

June 27, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
  8. dee

I feel the same. I think that Ashleigh Banfield is being very ignorant and judgmental also. Not all people speak with a higher education, Rachel is still in high school. We all have different types of speech. I think Rachel is the most credible witness for she was the friend of Trayvon and new him better then any of us. I am sure Rachel is having a very difficult time with this. I know I would.

June 27, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
  9. Brio

It would value and enjoy this coverage much more if the lady reporting from the courtroom would be replaced by an unbiased reporter. It so obvious clearly (and somehow understandable) that she already made up her mind about Martin's innocence and of course, Zimmerman's guilt.

The majority of this country is beyond this "racial justice"... We seek JUSTICE regardless of race... We want objective reporting... People who can't put race aside should not be reporting such events, specially on CNN...

This young man's death is a real TRAGEDY... But as tragic are the thousands of other kids who get shot so often... Where are those activists? Only inter-racial murder is unfair and tragic??

Let's please be professional and objective -let the jury decide what really happened. Experts and reporters should present both sides of the story with no bias so viewers can have a balanced perspective.

June 27, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
  10. MyrleneM

Rachel Jentel is unable to read cursive because only 7 states now require cursive writing to be taught in school.

June 27, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
  11. Josette Wilson

I think Rachel is a little nervous. Zimmerman is dead wrong and I think all the people around this case is stupid. Why haven't they put the 911 dispatcher on the stand. By her telling Zimmerman not to chase him and he did anyway point blank put him in the wrong. All that trying to make Trayvon look bad the city & state look bad. This whole case is a waste of money for goin on so long when Zimmerman was wrong in the 1st place.

June 27, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
  12. Ulises

The sound of wet grass.... I think she's reffering to the sound of someone running on grass... When you run on grass it does make a sound of crunching. Maybe she couldve heard him trying to run away or Zimmerman coming up behind him, steping on the grass.

June 27, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
  13. Smitty

Brooke seems very biased in her coverage of this case. I also think that to evaluate the witnesses properly they should bring on a guest who can add context to Ms. Jentel's background. The reality is if you have ever sat on a jury, most average people are not comfortable testifying in court.

June 27, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
  14. Stampece

Brooke, I found the discussion with your guest who excused the use of the term "cracker" to be appalling. "Cracker" is an offensive racial epithet, period. It's absurd for your guest to claim that because "cracker" is commonly used by some, or because it was used under certain circumstances, that it's somehow not relevant. It's also glaringly hypocritical, since it's very unlikely your guest would make the same statement about the use of the N word. If there were any testimony that Zimmerman had used the N word, under any circumstance, I do not believe you would be doing a segment discussing how meaningless it was.

June 27, 2013 at 3:42 pm |
  15. TJ

Rachel Jantel is illiterate. If she is the prosecutions star witness, George should be back in the hood, patrolling and keeping us all safe again in just a matter of days.

June 27, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
  16. jimmy g,

Why is it that during the testimony of the trial the N word gets bleeped out but the racial slur for a Caucasian does not.

June 27, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
  17. Patti

Jeantel is racist take her off the list of witnesses. She said 3x that calling Zimmerman a creepy white ****cracker is not racist-but dear it is. She should be disqualified just on that!!!

June 27, 2013 at 11:19 pm |
  18. fred

If you are being pummeled by someone 10 years younger than you and you have a gun should you use it to defend yourself?

June 28, 2013 at 11:23 am |
  19. fred

Who would prefer walking your streets, Treyvon of George at night? be honest now , ya hear.

June 28, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  20. paul tolson

Cnn guest.........Sounds to me like you people have already decided who is at fault just by your comments, your reference to George Zimmerman as "zimmerman" and to Treyvon Martin by his first name "Treyvon". I suspect that when this case is decided, you will find that Martin was kicking the crap out of Zimmerman and Zimmerman shot him in self defense. A very stupid incident that should have never happened but i don't see how any jury can find Zimmerman guilty as charged.

June 28, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
  21. Sherry

My whole take on this horrible act is that "once. he was told not to approach the the subject he failed a dirrect order from a member of the law" This really tells me that he was on some type of a ego trip. Now when the defence lawyer was questioning the police about how the had stated he had a gun and leaned to the side to show where it was on his hip. Now if the roles was reverse and that was if that was Mr.Trayvon I am pretty sure he would have waited until backup arrived and then he would have put him in handcuffs then retrieved the weapon.

June 28, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
  22. subtlefist

Wow the ignorance on this thread is astounding. You all act like you know what happened that night. It's like there are twenty eye witnesses and they are all right here on this board... a good 75 percent of you are doing nothing but chomping at the racial bit. Way to move civilization forward.... If Zimmerman is guilty he'll get his either in the courtroom or when the wheel of karma rolls back around. Either way the idiocracy is upon us and I am ashamed to be human.

June 28, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
  23. jimmy g.

I'm thinking that if Travon Martin was white three hundred million U.S. citizens would be unaware of this case. I think the best place to be if Zimmerman is acquitted is in another country I feel there will be rioting.

June 28, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
  24. Dawnell Blackman

i have concerns about the zimmerman trial. beginning with the trial itself. how can an armed man provoke a fight which is what really took place here when you remove all the court room Bs, find himself on the loosing of what again he started, kill the individual and be given a self dense trial instead of a murder trial. It does not matter who hit first an armed man is visibly persueing you. although trayvon did not know at the time he was armed it does not change the fact that zimmerman wrongfully intimidated and brought fear into this kid then killed him and is on trial for self defense.Its safe to assume at this point that to prove zimmerman was loosing the fight that he provoked he goes home.I can't brief this up much shorter thant. Help me with this. thanks.

June 29, 2013 at 10:35 am |
  25. jasminehonest

if zimmerman thought treyvon was doin wrong he should've waited 4 da police 2 come, they told him not 2 follow him. of if somebody i didn't know kept following me & ran up on me without a badge im gonna try 2 defend myself. BOTTOM LINE zimmerman was da aggessor if he had done wat da polce told him 2 do treyvon would still b alive & he would'nt b fightin a murder charge!!!

June 29, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
  26. jimmy g

Travon did not want anyone following him especially a white a** c******. He had a chip on his shoulder from the start. And also the girl he was on the phone with she said nothing wrong with the Caucasian slur. I think she is lying about the phone call specifics she showed she can do that well. What Zimmerman did wrong was being a good citizen trying to protect his community.

June 29, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
  27. Kelly Walker

Since Zimmerman's father is a retired judge and it appears as if the law enforcement in Sanford, Florida has mishandled evidence to clear Zimmerman, it is so apparent that Sanford Florida is an ignorant, backward, country racist town.
    They are attempting to portray Zimmerman as the victim when in fact he is nothing but a murderer. It is so evident that on the night of Trayvon Martin's death, George Zimmerman came out of his house as a gun wielding bully maniac and confronted Trayvon who was innocently walking down the street minding his own business and doing nothing wrong.
    Zimmerman started an argument and fight with Trayvon and then George Zimmerman shot Trayvon directly in the chest without any reasonable cause. Trayvon had a bag of candy, a soft drink, and cell phone in his possession and was trying to reach his destination until he was confronted by a gun wielding George Zimmerman who was running quickly behind him and asking him what was he doing in that neighborhood. Apparently, Trayvon was scared because he even called a friend to describe the situation he was experiencing with the bully.
    George Zimmerman had no right to come out of his house with a gun and say anything to Trayvon who was minding his own business and was doing nothing wrong. Zimmerman intent was to bully and kill this young black man. This is nothing but a clear cut case of murder, bullying, and racism in the first degree. Trayvon Martin did not pick a fight with George Zimmerman; George Zimmerman picked a fight with Trayvon and wanted to seize the best opportunity to use his little neighborhood watchman title to bully and kill the first black person he could find walking in his neighborhood and he did.
    If he gets away with this, it will show that there continues to be no justice in America for people of color. Any human being on earth should be able to innocently walk down a street freely, especially when they are doing nothing wrong, and not be confronted or bullied by anyone for no reason. This is flat out wrong and evil. Zimmerman should be charged and sentenced with first degree murder. He took someone's life and someone's child away from their parents. It is awful for what he has done and it is awful for this town to try and cover up for Zimmerman. All you have to do is use plain old common sense to rule in this case. I do not understand how anyone can speculate that Trayvon was the aggressor. Again, Trayvon did not have a gun and was walking down the street trying to get to his destination. What is so hard to understand about that!
    Zimmerman is guilty. He is guilty as sin and is a liar who is going to burn in Hell if he does not confess and repent for what he has done.

June 29, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
  28. Anthony Dixon

Hello everyone. I am tired of this mess. I am a 29 year old black man that lives in southwest Georgia and we have got to stop. People are outraged because a white man killed a young black boy. Why don't we raise this same kind of outrage when a young black boy kills a young black boy. That happens more often then this scary ass man shooting this kid. My deepest condolences go out to the Martin family, and I hope you understand that this comment is in no way trying to minimize the horrible act that was commited. I hear people everyday talk about how "mad" they are, but the fact of the matter is, is that 93% of the black men that are murdered are murdered by other black men. 93% that leaves 7% to be divided among the other races. We need to take a stand against ALL murders of black men and get outraged no matter what the race. I have worked at a level 5 prison and currently work in the county jail and it is depressing to see the state of our young black men. We are some of the strongest, most intelligent creatures on the planet but we focus our strengths on the wrong things. I want the world for these young men that think that life itself is a game or just another verse on there upcoming triple platinum album. I wish I could go back to the days of Malcolm and Martin and learn how to lead, because we have almost lost control. We look up to Lil Wayne and other rappers, but Lil Wayne has a degree. He might not rap about it but he has it. Lil Wayne is an entertainer not a life coach and I wish we would understand that. We have poor people stealing from other poor people and not understanding that this is exactly what "the man" wants you to do. I have been fortunate enough to see other parts of the United States and this part of the country still has 1860's race relations. I urge us as a black community to start from within and better ourselves and stop worrying about what other people think or say. If we stop being crabs and trying to keep someone down because you're down and help that person so they can throw a rope in that barrel so you can have some assistance up, and come together as a community and check ourselves and the stats. 93% when I read that I got sick because I thought it was more like 70%. 93%!!!!!!! Once again my prayers go out to the Martin family.

July 12, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
  29. Shaleen Washington

I feel that George Zimmerman had malicious intent because he wasn't patrolling that night and he was instructed to stay in his vehicle. None of this would have happened had he followed instructions and just stayed in his vehicle. I bellieve that his call to the police was just meant to be a cover so he could do what he had intended all along. Also, the fact that his father is a retired judge also brings in other probabilities of prejudice. Zimmerman had a gun and Trayvon didn't. Most of us knew fom the beginning what the verdict would be. The verdict was simply the result of an inept prosecution. Zimmerman was able to obtain a better defense than what was provided for prosecution. The trial was simply a farce to satisfy the public, but not this time and that's the bottom line. Something is seriously wrong here. I hope my opinion will be posted

July 15, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
  30. personal training Long Island

She has been sweep up in the anger of the case. You can tell she is completely frustrated. The jury didn't know what to think of her
    testimony. Shaleen I agree George Zimmerman had malicious intent because he wasn't patrolling that night and he was instructed to
    stay in his vehicle.

George Zimmerman is his own worse enemy.

December 19, 2013 at 10:27 am |