Today on CNN Newsroom

July 17th, 2013

Trayvon Martin V.S. Chicago violence

CNN's Michaela Pereira talks with her panel about the difference between Trayvon's death and gun violence in Chicago.

Post by:
Filed under: Ashleigh Banfield
  1. Danielle

PS: Don Lemon was one of my favorite Anchors...it really hurt me to listen to his racist perspective...I really thought he was different than the rest of those folks who can not understand how to read and interpret the law. CNN should merge with BET news.

July 17, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Sandra

Enough with the Zimmerman case. It's over!!!!!!!! There are other important stories in the world to report.

July 18, 2013 at 4:31 am |
  3. Tracey

Danielle, it is apparent that you are white with the statement you just made. If you have a problem with CNN continuing to cover the Martin/Zimmerman trial...turn the channel. How ugly is it of you to call someone a racist and a idiot for voicing there opinion. I am a black woman and I am offended by your comment. I could call you some ugly names for your comment but you showed your colors...therefore it's not needed. You could not begin to understand what our black men or women have and continue to go through on a daily bases. The Martin child was only the tip of the iceberg of what we as a race goes through. CNN is covering this because this is what a lot of people of color need to hear to help them deal with the outcome of the trial. We could be in street causing a riot...right. So I will say this to you without calling you out of your name...walk in a person of colors shoes or speak on something you know about.

July 19, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
  4. here is an idea

I am a black woman. I am whit man. Who cares what you are? "I'm offended by our comments." Though he was voicing his own opinion. Such cry babies... Yes, its tragic a young boy got shot, regardless of color. The situation should have been handled differnetly that night, but Martin should have thought to either not cut through a gated community that he was not part of, run for his house instead of turning back and starting the confrontation, or try talking the situation out instead of punching the guy. Again, just my opinion and I too wish it would just end. People of "color" heared it all already, I don't understand how this is helping them deal with the outcome. Just do what the rest of us do, forget and move on. No need to dwell. This was not about race, so lets stop pretending it is just so people have reason to fight one another.

July 19, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
  5. Tracey

"Here's an idea", do you know how many people take short cuts when they are walking...many. What kills me is, this child is dead. Zimmerman could have not pursued him as he was told...right. So we can go on forever saying what either one of them could have done. Zimmerman picked a fight with a "child", and the child lost because Zimmerman had to show how big and bad he was and pursue him. Yes it's over, but when I have an issue, I talk about it and to a lot of people that is healthier than keeping it bottled up inside and exploding. So the only tears here are for the Martin child. One more thing...race was a factor because if it was a little white child, Zimmerman would never have thought to pursue him.

July 21, 2013 at 8:44 am |
  6. Tracey

Even better...If your tired of hearing about this...Move on to another site, there are billions out there. Yes people of color heard it and we will continue to hear this kind of case and thousand of more like it. Keep it moving.

July 21, 2013 at 8:58 am |
  7. Ronald Perkinsen

Tracey, 1. Trayvon was NOT a "child (do children possess burglary tools and rob houses?). 2. Trayvon ATTACKED Zimmerman, Trayvon threw the first punch. Trayvon had plenty of time to leave the scene, but he chose not to. 3. Race a factor? The only racist persion was Travvon (reference his Cracker comment!!!).

July 22, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Tracey

Ronald, Trayvon was 17...how could you not call that a child. He was also still in high school. He did not have any burglary tools on him. He was at a friends house, so he had the right to be there. Zimmerman was told to stand down and not to pursue him. Any red blooded human is going to fight for there life. It doesn't matter that he threw the first punch, if I feel attacked I am going to start fighting instantly. Call it what you want to help you swallow what happened here.

July 28, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
  9. Ronald Perkinsen

"17" is a TEENAGER. NOT a "Child". In less than a year he would be old enough to vote and join the military. Do Children vote or fight in wars?

No, he did not have burglary tools on him BUT they were found in his locker at school.

August 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
  10. In home personal training Long Island

This guy is right! Very passionate about his community I have been watching the news about Chicago so sad. I think it comes down to parenting.I think we need to start an out reach program."Instill Hope" The African American community is really failing out there. We need to fix this. "WE" Not just one race "WE" need to come together and fix Chicago.If "WE" can do that ""We" are alot stronger as a nation then we think.

I have never heard the term White Hispanic by the way and I'm a pretty well rounded man.
    CNN please keep reporting on Chicago

January 10, 2014 at 9:02 pm |
  11. Lenard Spreitzer

I am not certain exactly where you are acquiring your information, but great subject. I needs to spend some time learning significantly much more or understanding a lot more. Thanks for great info I was searching for this information for my mission.

March 12, 2015 at 7:32 pm |