Today on CNN Newsroom

December 9th, 2013

Killed trying to buy gift off Craigslist

Brooke Baldwin talks to law enforcement expert Mike Brooks and CNN correspondent Ted Rowlands about case of an Indiana man who was shot while answering a Craigslist ad claiming to sell an iPad.

Post by:
Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. Bob

It's very sad a young man's life taken away for what? Leaving behind a beautiful wife and little child, very very sad I pray for the family with all respect.

December 10, 2013 at 12:14 am |
  2. Jeff

Why am I not surprised that the pictures of the accused on the Daily Mail are of two from a certain minority? Why am I not surprised that Sharpton and all his cronies are not out strongly condemning the crime? I'm not at all surprised that CNN is hiding the identity of the accused, pandering to the worst culture in the country.

December 13, 2013 at 5:32 am |
  3. JPboi

It is indeed very sad and tragic this happened to this man. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones. I have used Craigslist before...but not so sure I will again.

December 24, 2013 at 3:08 am |
  4. James

I buy and sell from Craigslist all of the time. As a buyer, I insist on an address of a house (not an apartment complex) and ask the seller if they mind if I bring my police van because my car is in the shop/I need the cargo space, etc. Every time no one has ever had a problem with that, if they did or didn't respond I know it's shady. As a side note, these idiots probably did not realize that the IP ADDRESS used is traceable after a warrant is secured. God, it makes me choke that the same stupidity that gets these low-lifes caught is the same syndrome that makes them commit these crimes in the first place.

December 27, 2013 at 8:21 am |
  5. ladyscot

And these two killers will be given life while this soldier gets the death penalty. We need to STOP allowing murderers to sit breathing in jail. If you murder someone, you deserve the same penalty.

December 30, 2013 at 9:17 pm |
  6. rick

You don't know who you are meeting on Craig list. He should not have taken any chances, but some of us want to believe in the good in people. These two "insects" need to be put to death!

December 30, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
  7. maritrees

Its like, he knew.

January 1, 2014 at 2:57 pm |
  8. Big J

I buy and sell things all the time on C list. I tell people meet me at the police station lobby. they are open 24 hours and have no problem with me doing so.

January 1, 2014 at 3:50 pm |
  9. Richard

You have two choices; meet people in a very public place, or go Ebay.

January 1, 2014 at 4:08 pm |
  10. Ben

I completely disagree with Mike Brooks' comment "trust your instinct." Your instinct isn't always right or strong enough to provide a fail-proof guide of what to do. If you do sense danger or something isn't right, definitely get out. But always follow common sense and always meet in a public place with people around. Meeting in a police station lobby is a brilliant idea. Just this weekend I was going to buy something off craigslist and asked the person to meet me at Starbucks instead of their house. Guess what? They bailed. Glad that didn't work out.

January 2, 2014 at 11:41 pm |
  11. Hugo Drax

meet in a public place? Yeah right. I have bought washers/dryers, refrigerators, stoves, fireplaces all off craigslist. Was the seller supposed to haul that stuff to Starbucks?

If someone is going to rob you, it will happen. Perhaps the black accent of the thug who he talked to on the phone, should have given him pause. Yeah, I know that's racist. But I won't go to a bad part of town to buy something with cash from some black guy.

January 4, 2014 at 12:25 am |