Today on CNN Newsroom

December 19th, 2013

"Duck" Debate: Bigotry vs. Belief

CNN's Brooke Baldwin speaks to Albert Mohler, the President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and Wilson Cruz, the National Spokesperson for GLADD, about the "Duck Dynasty" star's controversial statements and the role religion played in his remarks.

Post by:
Filed under: Anchors • Brooke Baldwin
  1. Rev. Dr. Anderson

As a minister, I find that the old misinterpretations of scripture are no longer edifying to a more evolving and spiritually enlightened global society. Albert Mohler, the President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary is merely regurgitating the same old doctrine that the Sadducees and Pharisees were criticized for by Jesus.
    They chose to quote yet not study. Even the recent Christmas comments (to change topics slightly)... Christmas is not a "christian" holiday... it's roots and origin are pagan and yet many Christians do not know, realize or care that they are ignorant to something the so vehemently fight to uphold as "Christian"
    Don't simply read the Bible, study it.. Learn what it said in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek.. NOT King's James' version of English.. you'd be amazed at what comes to light!

December 19, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
  2. Anza

I don't agree with what he said, but I don't think he should've been fired for it. Had he sat there and said, "I think they should all be killed off" or something like that, then I would understand it. The man should be allowed to state his beliefs. The question seems like it was bait. Why ask "What is sinful?" They knew what he would say.

December 19, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
  3. Andrew

Wilson, you are not even a Christian. What makes you holy then thou attitude to say this and most of all that not all Christians are against LGBT groups, first off only true Christians are against this and not the ones that will bend over backwards for you in more then one way. You cry righteous but you are filth in the eyes of God. Jesus came and died for you and to save you from your hell and pain that you have now. Give him a chance, God bless.

December 19, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
  4. Micah Carter

Mr. Wilson means well, but he is simply making up his own facts to suit his narrative and lifestyle. Majority of Americans support LGBT - where is the data behind this anecdotal statement? The data is that 1% (some claim up to 3%) of Americans are gay. And homosexuality shouldn't be included in a list with other sins? Clearly, Mr. Wilson does not know Christianity or its theological-ethical framework because he (apparently) hasn't read the Bible. Or maybe he has and he simply rejects it, which is common among those who embrace a sexual morality that is in clear objection to what the Bible reveals to be God's design for human flourishing in the home and society.

Dr. Mohler spoke clearly, compassionately, and correctly on behalf of orthodox Christianity.

December 20, 2013 at 9:10 am |
  5. Alex

Dr. Mohler is spot on!

There are many lessons to be learnt:

1) Christians need to be coached on 'delivering' the gospel message in a way that can no longer be manipulated by media to their advantage.

2) Christians should not take the bait on questions such as race.

Christians cannot change the definition of 'sin', on this topic. Pastor Warren put this very eloquently in a recent media interview, "Like everyone, I want to be liked. But I wont deny God's unpopular moral standards as I fear His disapproval more than yours."

December 20, 2013 at 9:18 am |
  6. Gwen

LGBT, I'm so sick of this term... say it GAY, homosexual... seriously! Phil said nothing wrong. And I argue with Mr. Cruz... TRUE christians stand by you??? They I would have to say, these are not true Christians, and you do know TRUE Christians. Yes we are to love you, BUT that does not mean that we have to support what you do. Love thy neighbor, hate the sin. And yes I hate the sin. I have friends and family who are homosexual and yes I love them, however I do not understand nor do I care to understand why you chose to live this lifestyle. I will not stand by as you ridicule a man for voicing his opinion. Are we resisting you to voice your opinions? No, so why should you take away our right??? If a gay man said this about a straight man, we would not be hearing about it. AND I will not stay quiet either Mr Cruz. Get a grip! You do not practice Christianity so how is it you can say you know us??? We are here to stand our ground and preach and practice God's word, not stand by and watch as others defy it!

December 20, 2013 at 9:56 am |
  7. Michael

You so called Christians can't pick and choose from the Bible to serve your own arguments. Do the Duck Dynasty families eat kosher? Do the wives have to do the hokey pokey when they're on their menstrual cycle? Look at the New Testament...I don't see Christ condemning gays, and you don't either. God loves gays just like everyone else. Judge not lest you be judged. Notice the log that's in your own eye.

December 20, 2013 at 10:53 am |
  8. Gail Crandall

I do think I can improve my communication skills regarding sharing the Gospel but I wouldn't fault anyone who doesn't do the more astute or professional share. I do not fault Phil Robertson for his true to life response. A lot of us out in the world have opportunity to share with all sorts of folks. What I wonder about is that even though the LGBT (and now I believe Q is added?) is up in arms about Robertson's statements he also seems to say that any sexual activity outside of marriage between a man and a woman is sin. Many Christians have loosened their morals in sexual activity and we could all benefit from the comments. Also this is an opportunity for all of us to examine our own hearts and activities even if we are not homosexuals.

December 21, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
  9. Leslie Delahay

Jesus said: "Then Father sent the son not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him." That is how the world should treat the homosexuals. I have read that the truth continues to evolve. I must remind those who hold that view that the truth never changes (or evolves), the one characteristic of the truth is that it is consistent. For example, the truth about gravity was revealed to Isaace Newton during a period of meditation. He characterized gravity as "God's glue that holds all of his creation in its place. No one has come forward since Newton shared his revealation with the world. Jesus came into the world to bear witness to the truth. The truth to which he came to bear witness was another power of God's, the Holy Spirit. The power of gravity affects physical matter, while the Holy Spirit is a power that governs living matter. But, the truth as revealed by Jesus has become lost. Christian Theology is not based upon the teachings of Jesus, but it is based wholy upon the teachings of Paul's gospel. And, Paul's gospel contradicts the truth as revealed by Jesus. Jesus cautioned the people about being led astray when he said: "In the latter days do not be led astray for may will come in my name and many will be led astray. The hundreds of different denominations that all come in the name of Jesus is compelling evidence that the prophetic advice of Jesus has become a reality. Those hundreds of different denominations all follow the teachings and traditions of the Pharisees, they are the modern day Pharisees. The compelling evidence of this is found in the way they pray. Jesus admonished the Pharisees about their praying when he said: "And when you pray you MUST NOT be like the hypocrites who love to stand in the synagogue or street corner.,,But, whenever you pray you should go into your room, shut the door, and pray to your Father in secret and he will reward you in secret." Go into any denomination and you will observe the people praying just as Jesus said you MUST NOT pray. This was a commandment from Jesus. And, John in his first letter wrote: "One who says he knows Jesus but disobeys his commandment is a liar and there is not truth in him." The truth as revealed by Jesus has become lost.

December 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  10. Tim

I wonder why the GQ "reporter" didn't ask Phil about his sons tattoo? Leviticus 19:28 clearly states this is a SIN Wonder what Phil thinks about that?

December 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
  11. Henry

Marriage is between a man and a woman. No matter what laws are broken whether by Obama or some other warped politician or Judge, nothing changes God's word. Nobody or no law over rides Christ, Lord and Savior. This phony argument
    about suspending the Duck for twisted and deformed ways of corruption of the mind and body are sick. The gay life is nothing but a sick mind trying to be straight…never going to happen. Come back to real life.

December 31, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
  12. Shane

I don't understand why Phil should be put on indefinite suspension from the program. Phil's comments is base upon his Christian faith and love for others, because the Bible repeatedly tells that we are all sinners who need to repent our sins. Just his faith. America is getting a strange country like North Korea that persecutes religious freedom.

January 7, 2014 at 11:20 pm |
  13. Velvet Elvis

I don't get where people think that christians are being persecuted. Are they allowed to openly attend the church of their choice? Pray in their home or church? Profess and wear symbols of their faith? Marry with the blessing of their church? Not being able to force your beliefs on other people or having them be offended by your bigotry is NOT religious persecution.

January 9, 2014 at 5:21 pm |