Today on CNN Newsroom

January 16th, 2014

Husband's letter: "Open if I die."

Brooke Baldwin talks to Army widow and author Artis Henderson about the chaotic situation in Iraq. Henderson calls the rise of Al Qaeda in Iraq "alarming" after losing her husband during the Iraq war.

Post by:
Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. Jenn loomis

The letter was not sad! It is no different then someone reading a Will.

February 7, 2014 at 11:43 am |
  2. The interviewer sucks...

She has no emotion, lifeless, and almost sarcastic. Some of the things she says really rubs in his death, I'm sure the widow is hurting even more but on television. The man's letter is fantastic, it is definitely heartwarming. But holy... some of the things she say.

February 7, 2014 at 9:36 pm |
  3. wildflower528

February 8, 2014 at 8:28 am |
  4. Kim Olson

My thoughts and prayers go out to this young lady. I am also a widow of 3 years, and it's the hardest thing I've ever done times a million. He sounds like a great guy who loved his wife with all his heart.

February 11, 2014 at 3:06 pm |
  5. keith

wildflower528:"I feel so bad for this woman and all the other widows unnecessarily losing their loved ones in a senseless war. Is it any wonder that Al-Qaeda is thriving in Iraq? They had nothing to do with the attack on America, and yet look at what this country has done to them. How many innocent people, including Iraqi civilians, have died for nothing?".

Wildflower528, I don't know where you get your info. For the record AL-Qaeda stated that they DID carry out the 9/11 attacks. Also, every intelligence agency know to man said that all evidence pointed to Al-Qaeda.

It is sad that so many good americans have lost their lives in this war. My heart goes out to all those family members who have lost love ones.

February 12, 2014 at 4:00 am |
  6. Pacman

As a Soldier who has written both a letter like that one and a will there are big differences between a will and the letter described in the interview. The will is sterile and only talks about "stuff." The wills that I have written were all drafted by lawyers and written in legal language. The letter, on the other hand, is you pouring out your emotions, hopes, dreams and all the things you wish your loved ones to know taking into consideration that you are now gone. Personally, writing those letters was a hard task. My will was much easier because I understood that I would no longer need any of those items.

My heart goes out to all of these widows/widowers. It is a hard thing to ask your spouse to go away for months at a time. Its even harder to tell them that they will never come back.

February 12, 2014 at 8:30 pm |
  7. Craig

It is said to realize the cost on both sides of the two wars we have been waging for over a decade. Thousands of wives, girlfriends, parents, siblings, and friends lose the benefit of the fallen warriors' company forever. As a whole they are probably some of the better people you'll meet anywhere, driven, responsible, and good at getting things done. So it is especially poignant to consider what might have been, they are reduced to photos and memories.

February 12, 2014 at 10:53 pm |
  8. dlws8607

keith: Iraq had NOTHING to do with the 9/11 attack. War Bush just wanted to ensure his wealthy defense CONtractors got even more money in a taxpayer-funded corporate welfare program.

February 15, 2014 at 4:04 pm |