Today on CNN Newsroom

May 22nd, 2014

Mark Cuban: "I know I'm prejudiced"

CNN's Brooke Baldwin has a panel discussion on NBA owner Mark Cuban and his recent comments on black kids in hoodies.

Post by:
Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. Oh really?

How exactly is trying to replace "fear" with "bigotry or racism" intelligent discussion by Cuban? If anything, he is full of BS by trying to soften the blows, past of future, of anything racist by redefining the word.

The scenarios he discussed are fear based. They have jack to do with discrimination when it comes to housing, jobs, loans, capital, and education ALL OF WHICH Sterling's discriminated towards multiple generations of black people negatively.

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE CUBAN, TRYING TO CHANGE UP DEFINITIONS. It's only fitting that he referenced the Zimmerman trial, since Zimmerman hid behind his "fear" as a defense for racially profiling Trayvon Martin.

May 22, 2014 at 9:48 pm |
  2. Archie Smith

Good for Mark Cuban, He is being honest and trying to deal with a human problem that many of us are afflicted with whether or not we admit it. We need to be honest about our shortcomings and try to do something about it without being skewered by those who attempt to be the politically correct thought police. As much we and others might wish, we are not perfect, just a work in progress. Why can't we face the problem openly and honestly without fear of the retribution of the "thought police" – NOW THAT REALLY SOMETHING TO BE FRIGHTENED OF!

May 23, 2014 at 10:10 am |
  3. Ellie R

I think many public people, such as Mark Cuban (not that LA team owner, he's an ass) make comments that are twisted around, and not their intent, but it comes out of their mouth and before they can correct their statement, it's gone viral. I am equally cautious around all races if they dress a certain way, and walk a certain way. If I'm walking down the street and I see a kid with a hoodie, or their pants hanging down around their knees, or they are a walking art display, it gets my attention but that doesn't scare me. I then look at their facial expression to make my decision on whether I'm concerned or frightened. If I find their face shows malice; they are scowling or their eyes have a dark glow, versus they have soft eyes and just going about their business, then I decide how I will react. I might not agree with their wardrobe choices, or body art but I'm not scared of them based on that whatsoever. I appreciate everyone's right to let their freak flag fly, and express themselves in whatever fashion they choose.

May 23, 2014 at 11:49 am |
  4. Toby Glanville

The delivery was a little off, but the message is sound. Regardless of race, I think most of us would avoid crossing paths with a thug-looking dude (perhaps wearing a hoodie) late at night. Just like we would happily share the sidewalk with a guy wearing a designer suit in the same scenario. This should be about stereotyping trouble-makers, not race.

May 23, 2014 at 12:30 pm |
  5. Paul Cooper

We live in a very broken society. Young men dress like thugs, act like thugs, and talk like thugs, and then they cry when someone looks at them and sees thugs. You are the image you choose to convey until proven otherwise. Your skin color has nothing to do with it.

May 23, 2014 at 1:18 pm |
  6. MIC

Any sane person would move to the opposite side of the street if a thug looking person or persons was walking towards you. Why doesn't the LIBERAL MEDIA REMIND THE NAYSAYERS by showing the countless videos of THE YOUNG BLACK MEN, IN HOODIES PERFORMING THE ONE PUCH KNOCK OUT ON INNOCENT UNSUSPECTING PEDESTRIANS that chose to be politically correct with their safety and not cross to the other side of the street.

May 23, 2014 at 3:06 pm |
  7. thecrud

I find you can judge a book by its cover in fact it tells you all you need to know. And you better well be aware of your surroundings. Or for sure you will be a statistic.

I watch the first 48. And it has taught me all I need to know.

May 23, 2014 at 3:26 pm |
  8. DarfVater

Removing ourselves and our families from possible harms way is a basic instinct. Driving around the inner city down back alley's at night has a much higher risk factor than driving around a gated community in the suburbs. That is a FACT not a racist thought.

May 23, 2014 at 3:47 pm |
  9. clippers fan

Here's a question for Mark Cuban,

So Mark Cuban,
    If you were in Miami say playing the Miami Heat and you happened to be walking down the street to go to a restaurant and you saw some white guy with a shaved head and tattoos all over his body and a Mohawk and maybe he goes by the name "The Birdman", would you be scared and run across the street?

May 23, 2014 at 7:47 pm |
  10. Peter

Shut up meg...@clippers fan

May 23, 2014 at 7:58 pm |
  11. Daniel

Wow, CNN, way to take what he said out of context. I believe it is your job to display the news, not make it by twisting peoples words. This is not helpful towards creating conversation, but rather rallies people against each other. And on a side note, what give your reporters the right to make obviously false interpretations of news events. What a sham.

June 3, 2014 at 5:58 pm |