Today on CNN Newsroom

July 29th, 2014

Carol Costello makes her case for ESPN anchor's suspension

Carol Costello and guests weigh in on ESPN anchor, Stephen A. Smith's, comments on domestic violence.

Post by:
Filed under: Anchors • Carol Costello
  1. Douglas

i'm a CNN & Costello fan, and also a S.A. Smith fan.

and i agree what he said was VERY wrong. he was an idiot.

but he should NOT be suspended, even if he didn't profusely apologize, WHICH HE DID.

ESPN should likely FINE him fairly good, and donate that fine to Womens abuse charities.

July 30, 2014 at 1:16 am |
  2. Andre Saul

Stephen A. Smith didn't say anything wrong he never condoned Ray Rice actions, all he was saying that some woman intentionally push men to hit them, he even said that is wrong, but everyone turns a blind eye to that. I have been a witness of a woman do everything in her power so she could be hit by a man, no one told her she was wrong but if he was to hit her he would be a animal.

July 30, 2014 at 9:08 am |
  3. Shayne

Wow Carol, I just lost a lot respect for you. I would expect more from you. You run this segment attacking Stephen A Smith, and perversely twisting his words around just so you can create your own segment for media attention to try to further yourself. Its really quite sad. Stephen A, never said she deserved it. He said she provoked it. I come from being raised by a single mom, and two older sisters. I have never laid my hands on a woman, and I do not think any man should EVER. But women should know the kind of man they are with. And if you are dating, married or (with) and violent man, and then spit in his face what do you think is going to happen? Again not saying she deserved it or Ray Rice's response was warranted because it was not. He should be facing some serious charges for that, however how is this not provoking a reaction? Carol you twisted up and clung to Stephen's use of the word (provoke) perhaps you should read the definition. Here it is for you "deliberately make (someone) annoyed or angry". Now nowhere here does this saying anything about deserving anything. But is it alright for her to spit in his face? No its definitely not, and since she knows she's dating a violent aggressive man, its also probably a pretty stupid idea, because you have to know he's going to react to that. Because according to your logic and the demonization of the use of the word "provoke" by Stephen A Smith then is seems as if you are condoning women, to spit on men, hit men, or verbal attack and be little and berate men, expecting no reaction. Is that how you would raise your daughter? Would you tell her "No sweetie, its ok you to yell at your man, spit on him, throw things at him and don't worry because your are not setting yourself up for any reaction from him. Oh and if he does react or hits you, that means he is abusive and mommy will run another segment about him".

I truly do feel sorry for her. I also think Ray Rice should have received some serious charges. But honestly can I say I am surprised a violent man hit a woman after she spit in his face? No, I am not because that is the definition of provoking him. We should be much more concerned in this world for the women, whom are being beaten by their husbands for not having dinner ready, or because she didn't go shopping, or because the house isn't clean when he gets home. We should be worried for women that are being abused every day for not doing anything wrong. This is what we should be concerned with. I think you missed the mark here, Stephen A Smith was not saying a woman should deserve to get hit, but she shouldn't expect nothing will happen if he's already a violent guy, and she is instigating a reaction (provoking). Way to turn Stephen A's words around for you though, you have definitely taken a position as a feminist.

July 30, 2014 at 11:36 am |
  4. C. Smith

I love Stephen A. Smith!!! I fully enjoy and appreciate open and honest debate on any subject. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but I do appreciate and respect someone else's opinion. The problem is most people are terrified of sharing their real thoughts and honest opinions because they are afraid of what someone will think of them if they speak their truth, unless their behind a computer screen. In my opinion, ESPN's decision to suspend Stephen A. was an incorrect one; however, I understand why they felt the need to save face.

On the so called "Domestic Violence" comment: I watch First Take everyday and I don't think Stephen A. said anything to give the impression that women provoke being abused. I wonder how many people (especially the people who are commenting), actually watched the show. Some of the comments I've read lead me to believe they did not watch the show, but are commenting based on what they've heard (which has been grossly misconstrued).

Just to summarize, he said don't give anyone the excuse as to why they may have hit or abused you and to not be apart of the abuse because it's wrong on both ends. I completely agree with this position and I am a woman. Far to often women want to hit, spit, curse, and challenge their husbands, boyfriends, partners, etc. and then want to cry foul when it goes further than they expected. If you want to be respected and treated in a certain manner, your partner deserves the same respect and treatment from you. Seems like simple math to me.

Stephen A. Smith is bringing raw, honest, enthralling, and groundbreaking debate to the national stage. It is something that is far overdue and necessary in today's America. Other stations and shows should take heed.

Side Note: Me and my family members will not be watching First Take while he is suspended and I definitely won't be watching if he is removed from the show.

July 30, 2014 at 2:17 pm |
  5. James

So Ms Costello is advocating that it's okay for women to commit violence against men? Where is her suspension?

July 30, 2014 at 3:48 pm |
  6. Kathy

How is abuse wrong on both ends? There is only one person getting abused here. If his wife spit in his face, it's O.K.for him to knock her unconscious? What about just walking away- what a concept. If a woman challenges her man (C.Smith), she should be prepared for the consequences? There are more misogynists than I thought. Very scary times for women.

July 31, 2014 at 4:55 pm |
  7. L. Lambert

Final word: CNN Broadcaster, suspended for his truth:

The last time I checked this country has an inalienable right to freedom of speak, or so we thought. My comments or agreement that the newscaster should not have been suspended for voicing his truth, seems to have been translated into advocating violence. No one says we will like all we hear. However, the systemic methods of hiding violent acts especially in sports has never been truly examined and is cloaked by big franchise money. The violent actions of this football player caught on video assuredly was not the first incident only one he and his franchise could not avoid. But the argument is not so much that there are acts of violence against women each and every day, but the commentary touched on the other side of such abominable acts...who is the aggressor? Or better yet, how do we deal with violence when a female is the perpetrator? By now we've all seen the video of two students in a verbal confrontation where the male student vehemently states "I am not going to hit you!". This young lady does her level best to provoke and escalate an inevitable confrontation. Without this young man's restraint the result in my opinion would have been devastating. Even after she charged him, he pushed her off of him and tried to walk away. Commendable? Yes! Frightening, yes! Using that example, Can we in good conscience only pick and choose what we see? Or can we even in our darkest thoughts try to understand the culture as a whole and not superficially place band aids. For the most part , we teach our young men to not have emotion, keep it all locked in...its all a part of being a man...right? But when we teach them to be tough, no one ever thinks about teaching them how to deal with the stress of life without turning on what they allege to love. This is what I feel happened with the football player. I without question agree, we must teach our children how to cope without excessive use of force. But do not run or hide from the truth. Violence is Violent. Men are not always to blame. Women are not always victims. As harsh as that might sound...it is the truth. *My experience of seeing both sides fueled my thoughts. The newscaster expressed his truth. Yours might be different, but if we do not bring it (all sides) to light...how are we to fix the problem?

August 1, 2014 at 5:32 am |
  8. Ron Harris

Once again juries of White people in judgment over Blacks. This shows how far removed many Whites are from understanding Black people. S.A. Smiths words taken totally out of context. How dare Blacks have an opinion about anything in America that differs from the White power structure. That is probably the reason one does not see us on a "large scale" on the mainstream media with regard current events in the world.

August 1, 2014 at 9:26 am |
  9. hot cougars

How do i find mature women for younger men? feel free to search your women or men, Just join now,http://datingmaturewomen.weebly.com it is 100% free mature women dating site! Meet your ture love on here!

August 1, 2014 at 10:22 pm |
  10. barry

Carol and Mel suggested that Stephen A. wouldn't be punished because of his race. Seriously!!! A BLACK MAN IN THIS COUNTRY WON'T GET PUNISHED? I am deeply offended by these white women attacking this guy's race. I'm sure CNN will not notice because you are a poor defenseless white woman.

August 3, 2014 at 5:03 am |
  11. Craig

Kathy how come the woman couldn't walk away from the situation instead of spitting in his face ? The problem here is that women feel like they have the right to do whatever they so please to a man without any consequences. A woman can hit a man and nothing will happen, but if a man strikes a woman it's a whole different story. why is that ? that's not fair for men at all. I don't agree with domestic violence or violence at all for that matter but where's the equality ? basically what i'm saying is that it should never resort to violence, but you can't assume that you can put your hands on someone, male or female, and not expect them to retaliate.

August 4, 2014 at 10:22 am |
  12. Pam ( FV Wildcat )

Woa every body!! You all are so wrong for condoning this behavior. First of all Stephen A. Smith knows better. He shouldnot have said what he said and yes he should have been punished. Women, you all need to stop supporting men who speak that and stop supporting disrespect from men who believe that a woman should be knocked out.

I have become more and more disappointed not only in men, but in women who agree with this sad behavior, but in women who allow men to treat us badly. I would never turn against my gender on issues like this. Men support each other, but women are so silly and so silly. We do not know how to support other women. Get some sense women. Get some backbone.8-6-14

Now as far as a woman causing a man to hit her, the only way that a man should hit a woman is that she hit him first. Then if he is going to retaliate, he should at least hit her with the same strength that she hit him. He should not have knocked her out cold just for a little spit, come on people, use some common sense, and all those of you who are joining in on this issue, you show the world that you are in the same group with this kind of person .

Men have strength that women do not have. How many of you would be smiling and grinning, if he had knocked out your mother, wife, sister, daughter, or grandmother? Thought so. Think again, before you support a man knocking a woman out cold. Think before you choose sides.

August 6, 2014 at 12:21 pm |
  13. Jay

The level of pc-ness in society is appalling. Stephen A. wasn't incoherent, and if he was, it was only because he knew there would probably be backlash for a perfectly reasonable statement.

He wasn't suggesting she did anything wrong, even though witnesses say she did (spit on him), he was simply saying that if you are a woman, who might do things that you know would provoke a man, you should think about your actions 1st.

Had it been a man that spit (allegedly) on him & Rice would've put hands on him, nobody would've blinked an eye. Or on the flip side, in another recent elevator incident, had Jay-Z beat up Solange, he would've been public enemy #!. The amazing thing is, instead of chastising HER, for being violent, people suggested that Jay-Z did something to deserve it. Double standard much?

We have to stop being so politically correct, that is suffocates constructive dialogue, rather it's about domestic violence, race, politics, or whatever. Stephen A shouldn't have been suspended, but the NFL needs to figure out what's important to them, in the way of discipline. DV gets you 6 games max. Drugs or other misc police interaction full season. You do the math

August 6, 2014 at 9:23 pm |