Today on CNN Newsroom

August 11th, 2014

St. Louis NAACP: Michael Brown shooting a national problem

CNN's Brooke Baldwin talks to John Gaskin of the St. Louis NAACP about the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

1. Flora Anderson

What do black parents tell their sons? Summer 1970, I was having breakfast at a very nice hotel in central Mexico City. At the next table was a beautiful black mother with her 2 young sons - ages 10 & 8 (?). The mother was elegantly,dressed in urban chic. She had obviously made sure her sons were well dressed–white shirts, ties, slacks. As I enjoyed my breakfast, I watched them thinking what a beautiful family. At some moment, the younger boy did something that made a slight noise. Jumped off his chair? I remember it was no biggie but It caused me to look up. She wrapped her son in her arms and, I eavesdropped, heard her tell him in the gentlest of voices: "Honey. Our people have enough problems. You mustn't misbehave." My thought was, "He's just being a kid." To this day, my heart aches that this mother had to say that to her son. Thank you for allowing me to share this with you.

August 13, 2014 at 12:03 am |
  2. mary strauther

Personally, I believe that, a lot of white men that become police officers here in the USA are not only racist from the outset but, they are cowards and are afraid to confront black men, man to man. Due to, their earned guilt of the slavery and the bondage that has been inflicted upon black people by whites here in this country. Some of them have been told stories and taught fear by their fathers and/ or grandfathers(who were guilty and afraid too) not to trust black people.

August 13, 2014 at 3:24 pm |
  3. jim - oregon

NAACP. I have a question. You are saying this kid's death is a national problem. Why didn't you say anything when a group of black youths beat WWII veteran Delbert Belton to death in Spokane, Washington awhile back? Or are you as racist as you accuse others of being?

August 13, 2014 at 6:53 pm |
  4. Dwayne Robert

Citizens nationwide frustrated and tired of asking for fairness and justice. We were asking in 1860, singing We Shall Overcome in the 1960's, asked to turn the other cheek after Rodney King, and asked to forgive and forget last year with Trayvon Martin. Now the choking of Mr. Gardner in New York and a California Highway Patrolmen beating an unarmed woman half dead. The people are tired of waiting, only to see the perpetrators we once trusted go free. Once Mr. Sharpton shows up and the masses never see the desired results originally requested. I believe the nation can agree we've learned nothing since Mr. Martin was killed in Florida? Are Blacks just that expendable? Unfortunately the color of our skin still out-weighs the content of our character? Mr. Don Lemon off CNN was once a resident of the city of St. Louis while working here and I was glad to hear his honest comments of the racial unrest here. This situation is heartbreaking to no end because someone I know has lost a child and I can't help but be scared one of mine could be next. Citizens want to see an arrest made when shots are fired, especially if someone dies. If any other citizen shoots and kills another, that's exactly what will happen. Police officers should be treated no differently. I know several great police officers throughout the city. A few bad seeds have cast a dark shadow once again on both sides of this situation (rioters and officers). #justiceformikebrown #MichaelBrown

August 13, 2014 at 11:18 pm |
  5. Robert-The World

I believe that the NAACP is on to something. Why are there "Black" communities and "White" communities? Why are there "Colored" Universities still? Is as if we set up Indian Reservations to set up "Places for those people to keep them contained". And we bought into it and "Black" folk bought into it. Have we advanced? White men are scared of angry African Americans and conversely the "Black" community has been set up to fear and be separate from the "Mainstream", which is seen by many African Americans as against them. Saying to elected officials "F..k you" is not helpful any more than big white dudes dressed like the Army pointing assault rifles. Let's accept and look at how separate we still are as White folk, Black folk, Asian folk, Latin folk, Gay folk, Straight folk; all people. We first have to accept and really look at what is different about us and talk about it.

August 15, 2014 at 7:44 am |
  6. Name*Garry Hamilton

I am very upset about the killing of this young man. Looking at the video in reference to the robbery. When the young men left the store they appear to have got into a white vehicle. I don't believe this video.

August 15, 2014 at 2:25 pm |
  7. Nancy Byers

On Don Lemon's Townhall show tonight please have him address the root problem of blacks mistrust of police It all stems from the tragic breakdown of the black family. It also stems from a negative immoral culture. Black men need black fathers and mothers to marry once again. Of all the youth growing up today, only black youth without fathers. Without good strong black male role models. face the most difficult odds. That's why so many get involved in crime. They feel hopeless and uncared for. Single moms are already stretched too far. Strong black role models are desperately needed to save these young men,,,and young women and men need to place their education first. And don't start families until there is a mature educated husband and wife to lead a family just starting out life poor does not give one the right to commit immoral violent acts. This problem has been ignored too long our black president should convene a council of strong black leaders and ordinary married successful black family men. Being an intact black family should not be common but a rarity!!! Please address this serious problem!!

August 19, 2014 at 3:01 pm |
  8. Jackelpen

I think that CNN should be pulled off the air. Wolf and Nancy Grace should be fired. This whole thing is ridiculous. I have seen hour upon hour of racism, but its coming from the news media and the black community. There are thousands of videos and posts on Facebook from black people who are disgusted with the way this whole thing has been blown out of proportion and the actions of the community itself. Michael Brown was a criminal. Face it. I am sure his parents do not want to believe that, and it is painfully obvious that the media is ignoring this fact. Do I believe he should have been killed? I was not there. I did not see what happened. My heart goes out to his family because losing a child is the worst thing that could happen to anyone. But it is hard to maintain sympathy when they and the media are trying to turn this child into a saint and the officer into a racist devil riding around looking for a black child to kill. Why are all the interviews with black protest leaders? Where are the interviews with the people who think CNN has handled this like Al Sharpton is running the newsroom. There are two sides to every story but CNN has chosen to take sides. And it has fueled the fire that should have never been lit to begin with. Now its the autopsy and the Grand Jury who are wrong. It is a tragedy, but enough is enough. I am sick of hearing about this and sick of the actions of both CNN and the community. When did it become ok to say on national television that a police officer is "a marked man" like that was a normal and justified thing? Thank heavens for social media, I hope that the people who are disgusted and fed up with this farce will continue to post and be shared. The opinions that are being rammed down our throats on CNN are not the only ones out there. Hopefully we can get rid of this station and put one on the air that is truly unbiased.

November 27, 2014 at 8:21 am |
  9. jjohn j

I to am also fed up with this. Proofe is proofe. The kid was bad,Does that mean he was supposed to be shot-NO WAY. Maybe if his Mom & Dad would have raised him instaed of letting the streets raise him, But after seeing his mom and dad and stepdad,the streets probebly raise him better. His parents were trash. The whole Hands up thing is BS, He attacked a officer,White Black or Red you are going to get shot. I live in a mid wetsern town, We have wonderful Blacck Americans here ( not African Americans, they aare Americans). They do not act like these bafoons in Ferguson and elsewhere. You want respect- Earn it don think it is just given. Race has nothing to do with it.. With people like Sharpton and Jackson, Yo are all doomed. Then add Holder to the group-Now you have the 3 stooges.

November 30, 2014 at 12:22 am |