Today on CNN Newsroom

August 12th, 2014

NAACP President condemns violence after Michael Brown's death

NAACP National President, Cornell William Brooks, speaks with Carol about the death of Michael Brown, and the effect it's having on the St. Louis community.

When asked what he would say to potential looters, Mr. Brooks said, "According to Michael Brown's family, this was a young man who never got into a fight, who was non-violent, who had a wonderful sense of humor, and the best way to honor this young man’s memory is by seeking justice non-violently. Let's be clear here, Martin Luther King did not live and die so that the grandsons and granddaughters of the civil rights revolution might seek justice violently. We don't have to do that. We can do so in a non-violent fashion. Most of the young people in these communities have been seeking justice airing their grievances in a constructive way. We need to continue to do that. The NAACP is working with these young people to do that."

Post by:
Filed under: Anchors • Carol Costello
  1. JenfromNY

CNN should be ashamed of themselves. Instead of waiting for all the information, like President Obama in the Travon Martin shooting we presume this is just an innocent black person. You immediately start placing thoughts of racism and inciting riots in the streets. Riots not just over racism but a disguise to rob and destroy the town in which they live. There is a difference in reporting the facts and inciting riots. CNN incited those 4 days of rioting!

August 15, 2014 at 10:16 am |
  2. Name BigHat

Hey Carol,report the news not your opinion!!i I know you want ratings,but it's a bit irresponsible to not know all the facts.I guess the hospital reports were a lie,and the "witnesses"are telling the facts of the matter.If he didn't steal,he might still be alive.

August 15, 2014 at 10:38 am |
  3. Dik Hed

The videos are being blocked where I live in Washington State–big brouther doesn't want to upset me, I guess

August 15, 2014 at 3:05 pm |
  4. Tom W

I just want to say that when my son was shot and killed in 1998 in Bridgton Missouri By two police officers that my sons civil rights were violated. But being my son was white American and not black American his civil rights were not violated. My son was not armed he was in his boxer shorts in a hotel in Bridgton. so I guess it doesn't matter what color you are the cops in Missouri don't care. killing a white man you don't get the publicity like you would if you were a black man. After 13 years my 2nd son committed suicide because he couldn't take that his older brother died and how he died. So I lost two sons over a shooting that shouldn't have happened. If the two cops used other means of calming my son down. Both my boys would be alive today. This will probably not go anywhere because they were white. From a grieving father.

August 19, 2014 at 9:57 am |
  5. Rick Dewey

Carol has dont most disgusting reporting in the case regarding Mr Brown! She's continually taken on the assumption the officer and police department has done wrong! She's gone as far as to question all policemen technics across America, unfairly, I might add! The police have excelled in their technics, with the most scientifically advances protocols and equipment, proven over many many years! The only reason they've struggled in Ferguson, is because of people like Carol, whom have condemed the police department, even having the gull to attempt to suggest alternative protocols, AS IF! She has all but convicted the officer, and has never even considered his experience and day to day dangers and now family struggle! New Evidence has now all but exonerated the officer! CAROL has ruined my CNN experience, thus assuring I no longer watch your channel! I'm absolutely disgusted! Carol has left a bad taste in my mouth for all news sources! I am done with you! Carol, you should be ashamed of yourself! Go to church!

August 19, 2014 at 10:10 am |
  6. JJ

HI.. When I was younger 50 years ago there were BEAT Cops.. Every neighborhood had a cop on the beat.
    That cop knew everyone. Every kid every drunk, every thief etc etc you name it. When they higher ups started and then did eliminate the Beat Cop thats when everything started going aery. I would like for one of you folks or all of you get a discussion going about how there is no cops in any part of town. They hide in their cars. There is no communication which your starting to hear the discussion of late going.

Please please bring it up and try to get a good discussion going. Bring in the Great cop Johnston.. Here is a GREAT example of how cops should act. He should get a medal.

Well enough of my ramblings. You'all have a great crew and enjoy you immensely. My favs are Carol and Brooke. Your both are absolutely 'Fine' !!!..

August 22, 2014 at 10:41 am |
  7. Darlene

The Governor and many others already know that the officer that MURDERER Mr. Michael Brown will not stand trial for the crime, why else would he already have sent in the National Guard. The murderer who is still on paid adminstrative leave to stay home and do nothing, will come back to work and be held a hero, and will be celebrated and promoted for his crime. It is very easy to get away with murder in this country you just pin on a badge and call it justice.

November 17, 2014 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Art hernan

The Police Uniform and the law has to be respected at all cost, some of these people just do not obey the Law, when a Police Officer tells you to stop you must respect the Law and stop, also do not know why the TV people do not show the real thing goine on here, these people were commiting a crime, have been arrested before and just do not care about the Law of the Land, so now in the future do not Call the Police they wont come because they don't want to get in trouble enforcing the Law, the Cops will look the other way when they see some one Specially a Black person commiting a crime or a Rbbery, better think twice and you them commiting a crime and not respecting the Law of the Land

December 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm |
  9. Art hernan

These men had a criminal past, show them commiting the Robbery or the crime, Iam afraid I wont have Police protection when I need it I spoke to some officers and they said they will look the other way and that's not correct so we will all pay so be very carefull how you gudge the Police Uniform and the Law

December 5, 2014 at 4:00 pm |
  10. Georgette Woy

I surely did not recognize that. Learnt a thing new nowadays! Thanks for that.

March 12, 2015 at 7:16 pm |