Today on CNN Newsroom

August 16th, 2014

MO State Senator: Ferguson Police Chief should resign

In a passionate discussion with Fredricka Whitfield, Missouri State Senator Jamilah Nasheed expressed her views on the Ferguson Police Chief and the St. Louis County Prosecutor. She feels as though it is time for Chief Jackson to resign.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Fredricka Whitfield
  1. Monty Smith

Tom Fuentes for President of the United States of America. I have never heard anyone of authority speak in a few minutes so much information, clear, to the point.
    Tom Fuentes has my vote no matter what party he is with.

August 16, 2014 at 2:16 pm |
  2. Concerned

I've been watching this situation with great dismay. I strongly believe the politic in the area is making a volatile situation worse. You have leaders publicly calling out one another. Prosecutor Bob McCullough and the St. Louis County Police Association provided statements to the St. Louis Post Dispatch criticizing Governor Nixon for taking charge of security. How can we trust them and their officers to truly cooperate with the new security leadership? State Highway Patrol Captain Ron Johnson openly criticized Ferguson Police Chief for releasing the video. While I personally agree, I don't believe it is helpful for the two law enforcement organizations- that need to work together – to air their differences publicly. The community, state, and all of us in the area need the politicians and, especially, law enforcement to come together as one to serve this community. Until you see the leadership standing together, the situation will continue to be volatile. We need to see not only the Governor and Captain Johnson at today’s press conference, but we also need to have Ferguson’s Mayor, Ferguson’s Police Chief, St. Louis County’s Police Chief, and St. Louis City’s Police Chief standing together as one cohesive group. They should put aside their petty issues to do their jobs – that is to serve and PROTECT the community. I'm concerned that if they don't quickly get things under control, the problems could spread out to other areas.

Also, Ferguson Police Chief is making the situation even worse with his conflicting stories: 1st press conference, he left it open that video (robbery) was reason for Officer stopping Brown, 2nd press conference, he said the officer was not aware of robbery, then in an interview with St. Louis Post Dispatch, he said the officer noticed the cigar, interview with another outlet (I believe CNN), he said he SPECULATED the officer noticed the cigar. This is a very serious matter and we have enough speculation coming from the public and pundits. We do not need the chief law enforcement officer of the city involved to provide us with speculation. This is unacceptable. You'd think St. Louis County Prosecutor and Ferguson's Mayor would demand the Ferguson Chief stop all interviews. His comments are not helpful. Any fair-minded person should understand why the community doesn't believe there will be a fair investigation if this police department is involved.

August 16, 2014 at 3:01 pm |
  3. Paco Brady

Can you post the video of the Tom Fuentes video? I agree w Monty Smith. His comments were the best I've heard.

August 16, 2014 at 3:08 pm |
  4. Paco Brady

Any chance of posting that video of Fredricka with Fuentes? Anyone have it?

August 16, 2014 at 5:31 pm |
  5. arlekino

I don't understand-these people themselves have chosen Mayor and the Sheriff, if they do not like to have to choose other

August 16, 2014 at 9:46 pm |
  6. Bruce W. Brown

If Dr. Martin Luther King were still alive none of this would be happening. Dr. King would have had a peaceful protest & march, would have brought all law enforcement and government officials together and we would have swift answers and swift justice. If we as the people practice this, justice would be served and Dr. King’s work would be remembered and honored.

August 18, 2014 at 8:51 am |
  7. vivian

THEY WILL NEVER TAKE THE BLAME LIKE BURNING THIER OWN CITY THAT'S ONE THING BETWEEN BLACK AND WHITE THINKING WE DON'T BURN OUR CITIES BECAUSE WE DON'T WON'T TO DEPEND ON GOVERNMENT FOR MONEY BECAUSE THE OWN LEADERS DON'T EVEN HELP THEM LIKE THE FAMOUS FOOTBALL AND BAKETBALL AND TV ANCHORS LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN HELP THEM SO THAT'S WHY YOU ALL TRY TO BLAME THE WHITE MEN BUT NOT YOUR OWNSELVES I'M 51 YRS OLD AND GOT ME A JOB SO I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THE BLACK CAN'T GET A FAIR BREAK AND EVEN GOD KNOWS THE TRUTH

August 18, 2014 at 4:46 pm |
  8. Brenda

This shooting is about basic human rights. The police job is to arrest and take to jail, not shot on site. No man or women should be gunned down in the streets and know ambulance called to try and save them. I'm not from STL, but I've lived here for 8 year, and haven't seen anything like this since the 70s. I jokingly called this the wide west with cowboys. Well, not a joke anymore. My biggest concern is to get my granddaughter out of STL. I don't want her to grow up in a backwards city stuck in time warp. And just to clear up confusion; must government assistance is given out to whites. Check your state and federal statistics and stop spewing ignorance.

August 18, 2014 at 5:13 pm |
  9. mike

brenda

you are another person with no knowledge of law enforcement or even more importantly the situation, you like all the others are jumping to major conclusions. That "MAN" was 6' 2" and 290 plus pounds, he had already proven his intent of violence by assualting the officer.

I guess you are willing to take a beating instead of defending your life!

August 21, 2014 at 3:25 pm |
  10. ferguson police scanner frequencies

I just wanted to thank you again for this wonderful website you might have built here. Its full of beneficial guidelines for those that are certainly interested in this topic, specially this very post. Your all so sweet and also thoughtful of others and reading the blog posts is really a good delight to me. And thats a generous surprise! Jeff and I are going to have excitement generating use of your points in what we must do within the near future. Our listing can be a distance long and suggestions is going to be put to fine use. Prishtina Reisen

November 26, 2014 at 7:27 pm |