Today on CNN Newsroom

April 29th, 2009

Pres. Obama's 100 days: What do you think?

Your thoughts on the first 100 Days:

As we mark President Obama’s 100th day in office, we want to hear from you - in the Newsroom. What are your thoughts on the president, and on the administration’s accomplishments so far? What do you want to see next? Post here and we just might read your views on air.

Josh Levs is in the Newsroom with Heidi Collins this morning from 9a-11a - sharing your thoughts!

Filed under: Anchors • Heidi Collins
  1. Len Mcrae

I think the President is doing a great job and is keeping the majority of his campaign promises. I also believe he is effectively dealing with restoring integrity to the office of the President and to us-the American people-which is something that has been sorely lacking the past several years.

April 29, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  2. yvonne rhoades

I am very concerned about this administration, it appears very scattered. I feel anxious that left wingers in the admin. and the country will go against the will of the people and I do not feel that there is honesty in the admin and too much flip-flopping.

Let's concentrate on the American people and truly listen to everyone, even if you do not agree with the feedback you are given.

I would give President Obama a "D"

April 29, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  3. JUST JOE

Frankly I find it surprising that a news organization (...actually 2...both CNN and ABC) can hyberventilate over Obama's first 100 days in office...so much so that both networks have hyped it so much over the past 200+ days, While I think he is doing a "decent job" so far, I really can't agree that marvelous things have happened early in his administration.........look at the big issues so far.....promises to close Guantanamo (sp).....no answer as to what we are doing with the "prisoners" there......promises to rejuvenate relations with nations to our south......talks good, but I will grade him when results are produced......offers a gesture to improving Cuban relations and hopes for more positive change.....that's another promise...not a result of the first 100 days........look at all that has "happened" in the first 100 days...and, if you are smart, you will wait until we see some RESULTS
    instead of PROMISES OF RESULTS..........this is not a time for glowing speeches......folksy chitchat.....it is time for this President to start showing me RESULTS......not hearsay evidence from the media or planned Public Relations outings.........we want work, work, work.

April 29, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  4. BARB IN BC MI

I THINK PRESIDENT OBAMA IS DOING BETTER THAN BUSH EVER THOUGHT TO DO IN 8 YEARS!!!!!. KUDOS TO OUR PREZ. THANKYOU AND CONTINUE TO KEEP AMERICA ON THE RIGHT TRACK, WE TRULY NEEDED A PRESIDENT THAT IS FOR COMMON AMERICANS AND NOT JUST FOR THE SELECTED SOCIETY.

April 29, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  5. lester

i would give the president an a because he is doing everything possible with the little time in office .it is not his fault he he cant get health care for all because the party of NO have a good health care that the tax payers are paying for and don't really care about the rest of us as long as the lobbyist keep on giving to them to oppose the president health care for all.

April 29, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  6. Carol

So, Obama is flying to Missouri today for a town hall meeting. What is the cost to taxpayers for these trips he keeps making as if he is still campaigning? After all the fuss about corporate jets, how can he, in good conscience, continue to hop to one state to sign a bill, hold town hall meetings which cost so much money with fuel and security. We already elected him. He can keep in touch without holding meetings for small groups just for a press photo showing him shaking hands. This is the era of video conferencing. Let’s see the White House start tightening up their belts like the rest of America is being asked to do.

April 29, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  7. Letty

I give President Obama an AA+, considering all the tasks and issues he endured as he became President, I believe he will keep all his promises that he made to America, In case you have noticed, our President, has been so busy with no break, let's appreciate all the good doing, and stop being so judgemental about his every move, It is apparent that the he is a excellent multi-tasker, the world is a hot mess, at least he is trying to fix it and we can see it. President Obama, does not just have an positive effect on US people, but people around the globe in a positive way, We the people believe in you, so THANK YOU for all that you doing and continue to do!

April 29, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  8. Michelle

I only have one complaint, I believe when he gave the banks all of our (the tax payer's) money he should have also charged them an interest rate so we could get a return on our money!!! I know WE will not ever see any of it back, and knew that before. But the banks made alot of money by charging us interest rates this first quarter....where's my cut? That's an investment isn't it? I should get a percentage...I don't owe for taxes, I don't have credit card debt, I don't own a home, everything I do own is payed for, I didn't create any debt, but bailed them out. I'm looking for my return

April 29, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  9. Tom from Philly

oh please oh please oh please, I want a job reviewing job performances, not of the president, but of the critics, I want to really know how competent and qualified they are in their own life and profession to be the authority to lambast the president for not bringing the economy into full recovery in 3 months. yea whatever, everyone needs to consider themselves luck and thank god that obama is in control..... he is amazing get back your black filter and republican socialism propaganda and just see it.

April 29, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  10. martha

president is doing great considering what was handed down over the last eight years and having to work with those grumpy old men.

April 29, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  11. SpringWolf

I give Pres. Obama an A so far. No one knows the perfect answer for dealing with the economy, health care, global warming, or foreign relations. But at least Obama welcomes input, intelligent discourse and expert opinions before he makes a decision. At least it's not based on arrogance and ego that we had seen in the last 8 years. History will determine the true grade of this administration. For now, I think we need to give his office and his plans a chance to play out.

April 29, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  12. Mr Dean n Seattle

your I reporter says Obama made 514 promises during the campaign, I'll bet the public couldn't name 5 of them off the top of their head.Aren't you blowing this out of proportion.
    After 8 yeas of an admionistration that did nothing but bspend an lie to the publick. It is so refreshing to see a smart commander in chief.
    doing so well with all the obstructionistis following his ever word. I give him an A+ I'll wait to see your report in 4 years....

April 29, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  13. Michael

President Obama gets an 'A'. The world and The United States need and want the spirit of what President Obama brings to Washington. Fresh, new, exciting....not stale, old, and boring!

April 29, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  14. Samuel Clemens

While we are grading President Obama it is critical for We, the people to grade ourselves. Its funny to hear people wonder where the "change" is? Do people honestly believe something like Health Care reform would be solved in 100 days? I'm sorry but I voted for a man not a technicolor-dream coat By holding our modern ... Read Morepresidents to an outdated standard set in a different time is more than problematic.
    First we must remember FDR's 100 days saw a lot legislation pass. However how many were successful? If anything FDR is praised for his willingness to approach the problems openly; but much like Babe Ruth he struck out almost as much. Thus the built-up expectations for the first 100 Days is a distraction. We need to understand the problems we face (from the economy to the environment) are ones that will take time to solve, much of that process being trial and error. This journey is ours, not one lone man.

April 29, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  15. Regina in Atlanta

The majority of America voted for change although I don't believe any of us knew exactly what that change would look like. I am completely satisfied with what President Obama is doing in spite of the opposition from the GOP and his own party. Let's remember that he was presented with the options of bad or worst starting right after the election. How easily we forget that this mess was already in the making before President Obama took office while the previous President had clocked out early. The President gets an 'A' in my book based on just 100 days in the face of enormous problems on all fronts. Congress (both sides) gets an 'F' for clinging to the "more of the same". I guess it takes longer for old dogs to learn new tricks.

April 29, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  16. Michael

I think America needs to give things more time to determine how our newly elected president is performing. 100 days is not enough time for anyone to fix anything that has happened in our economy, republican or democrat. Give it time. More than 100 days. After all, we bought in to Bush's antics for two terms.

April 29, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  17. Shelly

I think that President Obama rocks!! When he accepted the responsibility of the office of President of the United States....he was handed quite a mess! It's obvious that our country had fallen away from the "accountability" factor....i.e. large banks, investment companies, automakers, and it is good to see that President Obama is bringing the "accountability" factor back into substance of society. My thoughts are as follows: he is doing an outstanding job as the President of the United States. We the people need to stand behind him, with him and for him. He has a mighty mess to clean up from our previous administration...and it will take a great deal of time and effort on all of our part. He needs our support....our feedback....and patience. Even though our thoughts might be that the remedy needs to be immediate....it's not possible....as President Obama was not handed a sweet bowl of cherries and successes. Many challenges lie ahead, but together...we can make it happen! We need to think objectively and also, remain with our cups half-full. The generations ahead are counting on it!!! I don't believe in bi-partisanship...as we are all suppose to be working toward a better and more UNITED future. Let's start thinking as "we the people," and not the mind-set of "the Democrats" and "the Republicans." Let's hold all of our politicians, and each other accountable throughout this long and challenging process.

April 29, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  18. Mark A. Davis

Obama's 100 Days (and 100 – 3am nights)
    As a primary and mental health advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender citizens, I find it telling that in the first 100 days it took 99 for Congress to confirm Kathleen Sebelius as Health and Human Services Secretary. They finally did when pig flu flew...
    I'm ready for HHS leadership to emerge so we can get working on important health concerns affecting all Americans such as suicide prevention, mental health parity, universal healthcare, research and so many efforts needed to clean up the mess left by Bush Administration and save lives and promote health and recovery of our citizens. It's the economical thing to do to save our human resources!

April 29, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  19. Pamela Chamness

I've been held captive by our Beloved Barack, our beloved president. His smile makes me swoon, and his mere "presence" on-screen is formidable; but MOREOVER, this man "blows me away" with all that he knows, all that he is able to articulate on subject after subject...okay, so he's got a script for his 100th-day town hall meeting (near St. Louis)...but then, he gets questions from, as he calls it, girl-boy-girl-boy...and it doesn't matter if they're pre-determined or not - the man can spontaneously articulate SO CLEARLY that I'm spellbound.

April 29, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  20. Janine Perry

As for grading Obama I personally give him an absolute failure. I am scared for the future of my children. Has Obama EVER actually read the U.S. Constitution???? We as a country are running full speed ahead toward a socialistic country with Obama ever so cunningly snipping away at the break lines. Is there anybody in Washington not so obsessed with their own greedy immediate needs that they don't care what is going to happen with their children or granchildren? "Please Washington, stop looking the other way."

April 29, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  21. cameron omega

My issue with President Obama is in regards to the “health care reform”. There can be no medical coverage for all if health insurers hide behind the pre-existing clause in every medical policy. For those who have no medical coverage due to pre-existing conditions, there is no healh coverage, save through the over-loaded, over-whelmed, and insane asylum called the county health systems. Unless states, or fed, can force the medical insurance companies to accept, and not reject for any reason pre-existing medical conditions, no one is safe and covered. Everyone is compromised. Also, our medical providers use overseas countries to check on our coverage and claims. HIPAA is violated, and so is our privacy. I used to work for the industry, and they don’t care about privacy. I screamed to the head honcho, and we mutually parted ways. Our technology may be bettered, but, unless our access to health coverage is unrestricted by pre-existing, and our identities along with health information is protected from outside countries and third parties, there can be, no, will not be any health care reform, ever!!

April 29, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  22. elizabeth

Aside from others who will find fault w/him NO MATTER WHAT–Obama is doing his best to move this country forward through every social & political change imaginable. He is working w/the opposition, keeping promises & his integrity. A- .

April 29, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  23. Nancy Tsekos

President Obama is like a Chinese acrobat that has to keep a huge number of plates spinning so none crash to the ground. He has done an excellent job of identifying the "plates" (issues) and getting them spinning. We need to give him more time to see if his plans will do more than "spin plates". I have faith in him.

Anyone who wants to criticize him should try to keep so many plates spinning. It's not easy!

April 29, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  24. Linda in Arizona

Roland Martin was right when he said comparing President Obama's approval ratings with Presidents Kennedy and Eisenhower was irrelevant. I think you did it because cnn is always looking for a way to make President Obama look bad. You should compare his approval ratings with people in the 21st century, or at least the last part of the 20th. There are all kinds of reasons why, including the huge differences in polling that have occurred since the 1950s and 60s. To fail to compare Obama to bush and Clinton and compare him instead to Kennedy and Eisenhower was not only irrelevant, it was ridiculous.

April 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  25. Jim drake

REMINES ME OF CARTER ONE OF THE WORST IN WASHINGTON WE WILL ALL PAY FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS BIG TIME, WHAT HAPPEN TO IF YOU WANT IT WORK FOR IT KEEP GOVERMENT AND HIM OUT OF ARE LIFES NO 2ND TERM

April 29, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  26. Ken

The president is doing very well, especially considering that he is working on multiple agendas simultaneously. For those of you who think that he has not accomplished much in 100 days, let me remind you that this is a democracy (a very slow working political machine) with all types of checks and balances to slow down the most energetic of agendas.
    The president is intelligent, circumspect, and caring; he really does want to protect the American people, bring a manufacturing base back to our economy, and improve the lifestyles of all classes of citizens.
    He welcomes helpful criticism, reaches out for bipartisanship, and willingly compromises when the welfare of the people warrants compromise. Eventually, even the most hardened critic will agree that he is the president that this country needed at this critical time.
    More power to him and to all of those working with and for him.

April 29, 2009 at 6:52 pm |
  27. Eula Leak

I think President Obamar is doing a great job in his first 100's days. With everytthing that was left on the President plate from the old Presdient that did not let the people of this country take a look into how things was going on in our society good or bad, I give our new President Obama an A for just trying to fix all this mess our nation is in right now. I am disapointed that out of 43 other white American President ,we are in such a mess, so If 43 can ruin our country I don't fear a Black President can possible undue 43 others Presidents mess. Sorry, But It time we pull together and stop being divided on any issues that affects us all. At least, President Obama is giving it a try and a good one I must add. I watch CNN all the time when I am not at work so, I have heard all the comments against and tfor the President. Please , to the News Personal is it so hard to address our President as President and not by his first or last name. That really gets on my nerves.It is to all Americans to address the President as President Obama. Thank, Eula Leak, Anson County

April 29, 2009 at 7:27 pm |
  28. CharlieJ125

I believe the President is doing a great job. We need our government (Dem. and Rep) to come on board together to work for the American people on all fronts.

April 29, 2009 at 9:16 pm |
  29. clarita karlin

there is no doubt in my mind that he is not only truly brilliant and has surrounded himself with truly brillian advisors....but he has the respect of the rest of the world unlike the bush administration and the world wants a president they can communicate with.....if he can't solve the worlds problems no one can....

April 29, 2009 at 9:40 pm |
  30. David

I think if you want honesty, you need to provide honesty instead of hiding behind what you probably think of as journalistic objectivity. Completely honest. Do you even have an editorial position on how the President is doing? Even so a failure to reciprocate that is intentional with your viewers is nothing other than a con. I'm sorry.

April 29, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  31. David

I've watched a lot of news reports these past couple years and learned a lot about politics, about law, about journalism etc, but I have to say that with the report card thing while it is fun and interesting, that the technology overloaded what is always an interesting experience just listening to what the President has to say. The technology is a distraction. Also though I enjoy the reports I hear and read, I need some happiness in my life, not just news reports.

April 30, 2009 at 3:42 am |
  32. David

Wow Pamela you should buy some commemorative Barak Obama plates. I think they've gone into a second printing so you're lucky. I hope that when you find out he's married you don't end up throwing all those plates at the wall though. They're collectors' items.

April 30, 2009 at 6:41 am |
  33. stephen kahnert

Thank goodness I waited to form my opinion until I'd heard Rep. Michelle Bachmann as I was on my traedmill. Got my heartbeat up just to hear her saying that the Obama administration has not reached out to work with Republicans in his first 100 days ... and to drink in her empathy – her urgent concern! – for 19 and 20 year olds and their part of the national debt being racked up. (Where was she when the Bush guys and Condi were sending off billions through Iraq and not including that trillion in our debt numbers ... the ol' off the books ploy ...Enron-like))

My eldest graduates university in three weeks. He and his friends voted for Obama with eyes wide open and wallets empty. Just as I did. And, hey, didn't the interviewer feel comfortable asking Rep. Bachmann about that swine flu slam of Democratic presidents? Or is that another WMD-like misstatement which CNN doesn't wanna touch?

April 30, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  34. JudgeU

Hello Heidi, President Obama has proved to us that his focus is for the people. Although he is having a hard time steering the House of Representative and the Senate into the change he would like to see on behalf of the American people- they are showing great progress in this little time. I would like to see congress, republicans and others who are trying to manipulate "change” or rather trying to play politics as usual- take a step back from politics and focus more on uplifting this country from the edge it is on. I am seeing the United States on the edge of a Hard Rock and President Obama’s head is under it trying to keep it from crashing into the quick sand that lies below. Let us stand behind our President, working together for the betterment of our country, and the world. Start living for each other instead of for yourself.

April 30, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  35. Michael

Heidi, your producers and CNN In general:

You have just lost me forever. Michelle Bachmann is a disgraceful guest to have on. A Woman who outwardly called for a serious investigation of her peers in congress who appeared to be Socialists and Marxists. By the way, there is a socialist in congress and he should be outraged.

Her comments yesterday, which were continuations of so many misstatements that it is hard to think that she did not mean them, stated that the first swine flu happened during Carter's admin "another democrat, big coincidence" and completely blowing the first Smoot- Holley Tariff in name, time and effectiveness.

If a guest has repeatedly spread misinformation publicly and recently, you must challenge her first on her incorrect statements. How can you have this woman on representing the republican point of view when she is so clearly uninformed, misguided and a poor example of a public servant.

Oh, I know why. You need a piece of that ratings pie and thought she may do the same on your network. No such luck, just tired rhetoric and unchallenged misinformation.

Try getting a reasonable republican viewpoint, maybe other independents won't end up leaving your network...like me.

April 30, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  36. Don

I see a lot about torture and especially waterboarding. We've heard from just about everybody. Have we heard from John McCain? I think that he would be the expert on torture.

April 30, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  37. Lori

I have been watching CNN for years and always enjoyed your stlye
    of news reporting. Every since Mr Obama has become president, all
    of your editors, staff, and anchors have been focused on every spoken
    work, and every little thing Mr. Obama does or says, and report this in a negative manner. Last night with Wolf, when talking about the swine flu i.e. go back and replay your tapes and listen to his inflection he places in the word "emmenate" When you aired a respons from Mr Gingrich, what kind of reponse did you expect him to make, except what he said. The same can be said for a good share of your other "talking heads" Time to get real and get off this Obama kick
    and begin reporting other news stories.

April 30, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  38. Adam

THe first 100 days can be sumed up in one word SPENDING The United States as a whole is doing exactly what millons of americans have done and thats OVERSPENDING. Spend all the money you have then go borrow some more money.......spend it and keep doing this cycle and see where it gets you. Every taxpayer will soon find out

April 30, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  39. Keith Wood

I think he's doing a great job! Republican's are crying about spending future money, but I believe the 3 auto's were in trouble before he took office, the market was tanking before he took office. Giving the tax breaks to the Rich so they can take American jobs over seas for pennies on the dollar instead of putting the American people to work needs to stop and he's getting it done. Cry on Republican's, it's time the rich shed some tears!

May 4, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  40. cathy

does anyone know how or where i can log in to view the interview of larry king with michelle obama's first 100 days as first lady? I can't find it.
    Cathy