Today on CNN Newsroom

May 4th, 2009

Manic Monday: What's going on today??

Happy Monday from your Heidi Show team!
Lots going on today - here's some of the stuff we're working on:

First off, we're wondering what you think:

Swine Flu: Overhyped?
Post your comments below!
.................................................
Throughout this month, you'll see special "Class of '09" segments on the Heidi Show. For high school graduating seniors, we'll cover topics like financial aid, finding jobs on campus, steering your son/daughter toward a school you can afford. For college graduating seniors, we'll hit things like finding that first job, alternatives if your son/daughter can't find a job, and paying off student loans. We'll talk to parents, students, guidance counselors, admissions officials, recruiters and more.
One particular segment we want to point out: this Wednesday at 10:30am ET, 2 financial aid experts join us to answer YOUR questions. Confused about financial aid, grants, loans, scholarships, 529 plans, work-study, and non-work-study jobs? Post your questions below and we'll try to answer them on the air!
.................................................
At his 100 days press conference last Wednesday, Pres. Obama praised the Bush administration for preparing the U.S. to respond to a pandemic. One of the key players in developing those plans? Tommy Thompson, Secretary of Health and Human Services from 2001 to 2005. He joins us live at 9:00am ET to talk about the H1N1 swine flu, U.S. preparedness, vaccine stockpiling...and we'll get his advice for Kathleen Sebelius, the brand new Secretary of Health and Human Services. Make sure to watch – 9:00am ET
(And if you didn't get to see the interview, here it is):

From producer Sara Rudolph and copy editor Mary Acosta

Filed under: Anchors • Heidi Collins
  1. Wayne

Hey Heidi,
    Did CNN know anything about New Mexico closing Demming, Socorro, Las Cruces, Carlsbad ...etc. schools down...along the Mexican border? Albuquerque could be next. Also all sports cancelled until at least May 10th. State in uproar...overeacting or safeguard?
    Wayne

May 4, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  2. Marc Romano Fort Lauderdale

I want to know why the government is not helping out individuals who have student loan debt. I pay over $600 a month and only $56.00 goes to my principal on my 80K loan at a 7.5%.

The job market does not give me the chance to make the money needed to pay down this debt. After I pay my student loan, I barely have enough to live on...mortgage payment, utilities, health insurance, etc.

If the government can give billons to banks, how about forgiving some our government subsidized student loan debt. A student loan modification program like the mortgage home loan modification program.

I would be happy to trade my 1998 car in and buy a new car, even an American car, which would help both me and the economy.

It's time to give a break to those of us who did the right thing and played by the rules....

May 4, 2009 at 9:56 am |
  3. meikoseymour

I love Heidi Collins!!!! She so awesome and informative. I love how she asks questions and doesnt put in her own bias. She's so cool!

May 4, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  4. Keith Wood

No, I don't think it is overhyped. Like the old saying "early bird gets the worm" if we get on it and get on it early we can keep it from becoming an epidemic.

May 4, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  5. yuri

too many stories are told over and over ad nauseum!!!!
    there have to be more good stories out there than what you stay on;
    i.e. H1N1 – IT'S NOT AN EPIDEMIC!!

May 4, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  6. tara

I understand state and federal government agencies "stepping in" to help curb this "outbreak" BUT what are they doing about stabilizing the communities effected?
    What are working parents to do with NO NOTICE of a school closing except for news reels the morning of? Just "call in" to work? Yeah right when EVERYONE'S job is under scrutiny? When hundreds of people are lined up to take your job? How will your boss/compnay view you when you say... I can't come in for the next 2 weeks, my child's school is closed... is the government offering any PROTECTION for workers?
    I have 4 daughters @ Horne Elementary in Houston...found out about school closure this morning... school will be closed for 2 weeks

May 4, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  7. Sujata

You gave a statistics showing that only 4.3% people with Bachelor's degree are unemployed. However, I have 2 Masters degree (M.A in English from Western Illinois University with a 4.0 GPA) and an MBA (GPA 3.89). I have been unemployed for over 4 months now. So there is another element to it (racial perhaps?).

May 4, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  8. Rebecca

Is there any financial assistance for adults returning to college, namely single moms? Tax credits are great, but will they apply to those filing taxes not just dependents?

May 4, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  9. Tony

Swine flu , bird flu , beef flu, what ??? , Yes way overblown l ,,, what about recession flu ??? can anyone cure this economy , Where's the BEEF !!!!

May 4, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  10. Rev. Michael Jordan

Greetings,
    I am a member of a quickly growing demographic group that is being ignored and discriminated against. 22 years ago I was convicted of a felony. I can be refused work because of this, but also I can be refused housing, schooling and even federal help.
    In 2001, I had a home in Houston, TX. that was flooded by Tropical Storm Allison. I had to rebuild my home and was turned down for an assistance loan by the Federal Government because I was a person of "low moral character".
    I have been unemployed since last June and have gone through all my savings, and everything else I can get my hands on.
    Is there any help for those of us who have reformed our lives yet are still being punished for what we did so many years ago?

May 4, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  11. Victoria

I live in Michigan and have been watching the CNN coverage on the SWINE Flu. I have heard over and over about the measurements that the public needs to take with respect to washing their hands, but I personally haven't heard about what the administration is currently doing to "prevent" further occurances. I don't feel that it is necessary to close the borders, although I believe that there should definately be a higher standard of cleanliness and sanitation when it comes to any type of public travel. That includes; airlines, boat, railroads, busses, trolleys, etc. The swine flu is moving rapidly and without a vacine, measurements should be implemented quickly. I agree with the closure of schools but would definately like to see more emphasis on the sanatation of our public transortation.

May 4, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  12. cbaf

You requested your viewers to post what kind of story they would like you to cover: why not find out why President Obama will not allow anyone to see his ORIGINAL 1961 birth certificate which should be available under the Freedom Of Information Act. For a President that said "transparency" is important he has an opportunity here to exhibit that very concept. The media is doing a disservice to the public by avoiding this story....it is leaving an element of doubt, a feeling that something is just not quite right, and at this moment in our history confidence in our President is important. Get on it Heidi.

May 5, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  13. David

On the H1N1 I think we hit the top peg on the freakout meter sometime in the morning last Monday. Having said that, though, I don't see another way to cover it when your neighbor immediately to the south shuts down a city of 20 million people. Even though this flu appears to be easily treated with Tamiflu, this move by the Mexican govt. may have stemmed the outbreak.

It was nice to see the pictures of the President and First Lady on their date night, just the two of them going out on the town with the motorcade, full on press pool, and the spontaneous public gathering and complete details on what they ate. Well, it's a frenzy. But even with all that, it was a pleasure to see them holding hands walking across the White House lawn. The President was I believe mooning, and the First Lady seemed, surprisingly, kind of shy. Beautiful, candid photos.

May 5, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  14. David

I like this interview with Tommy Thompson, good follow up on President Obama's comments. People forget about West Nile that potentially could have affected populations of wild birds. Possible pandemics affect us, but they also can affect agriculture and the environment, ecosystem I should say. Something to consider in light of Mr. Thompson's point about about a possible resurgence of swine flu or H1N1. Hope this comment isn't too at variance with preceding post.

May 5, 2009 at 9:53 pm |