Today on CNN Newsroom

May 5th, 2009

What's Stressing You?

We're expecting official results from the stress tests administered to America's banks later this week. Early reports are that several of those banks are still under a lot of stress and will need to come up with some more cash if they are to achieve stability. We want to know: What's stressing you? Your bank, your job, the flu? Post your comments here!

Filed under: Tony Harris
  1. Ed Miller

Concerned that term limits has not been part of the career-saving antics of Lieberman and Specter. Officials over 55 years of age are no longer part of the cultural mainstream. How can the concept of term limits even be considered if elected officials can deny their constituents a fair vote by hopping from party to party or moving from district to district?

May 5, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  2. AD

I am an unemployed since January 2009 and living on unemployment insurance. The biggest stress for me and my wife is to pay mortgage on time. The condition is getting worst and worst day by day and stress is increasing.

May 5, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  3. Drew Ryan

I firmly believe there is a battle for man and woman's souls right now.
    Mix in bible.com and some proverb reading.
    Wow, that stuff works.

May 5, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  4. Betty E.

MONEY MONEY MONEY!!! Who isn't stressed out about money. My husband works an average of 3-4 days a week at his "full time" job. I have heard people saying the worst of this recession is behind us...when do we get to feel those effects on main street?? Because trust me, here the recession is not behind us yet...

May 5, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  5. concerned

I am stressing because of no JOb ..and what border shall I run for or to ...

May 5, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  6. Violet Myers

Recently I have become aware of the fact that the government can, in fact, garnish your Social Security. I have been reading some very sad stories about this in various magazines and I have become very concerned not for myself but for the majority of seniors that depend on Social Security to get them by. I don't understand how Social Security can be garnished and who gave the authority to do this? Again this is just a way that the Government tends to pray on the elderly and the helpless and to keep us at the mercy of those in power. I would like to hear more about this. Even though a person cannot pay, no one should have that much power as to go into a persons personal account and withdraw what they want. Do some stories on this. Lets get this stopped. Violet Myers

May 5, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  7. Lee, Southern Illinois

To put things into a better context: What isn't stressing me out?
    I lost my career in mid 06 to overseas outsourcing. I lost a lot of my financial savings when Illinois lifted the freeze on big energy/utilities in early 07. I lost my home in mid 07 when the mortgage company raised my payments on my home to almost double what it was originally. I moved to find work and landed in a factory manufacturing job in late 07.
    I lost that job due to the cutbacks related to the auto industry. I now have no health insurance for myself or my wife and children, and have a part time job as a phone support agent for a work at home company. I have almost no hope that I will ever get back where I was in a career, if I and my family survive the new flu, without medical coverage.

So... what isn't stressing me out is a more suitable question.

May 5, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  8. Lou

What really ticks me off about the banks is how much the American people have helped them out with our tax dollars. Yet, they could care less about us. They can't wait to raise our credit card rates, impose all kinds of fee's on us and lower our credit limits, while at the same time paying themselves huge bounses. Let them fail. Let them feel our pain.

Lou

May 5, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  9. David M.

Easy. I went to a Nevada college that dropped my major and stopped offering the classes I needed to graduate. Now, I have to pay back my student loan, I can't get a job, and the school denied my request for a partial refund. No money, no degree, no home, no job, no options. All stressful.

May 5, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  10. Ryan Andrews

The most stressful situation as a real estate agent in the state of Florida is swallowing that pill of reality that so many of us just don't want to admit and joking on the high prices we all paid for our homes.
    People are convinced that homes on the market are such a bargin now comparing it to what they paid. It's just a shame.

May 5, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  11. John Hulett Sr.

No money , No credit, No collateral. Don't give banks, credit card companies, auto manufactories anything unless we get something in return . The goverment should buy up the inventory of these companies instead of just giving them cash. They never gave us anything. This is just business. Buying the inventory will see results all the way to the consumer. Credit card companies should get just what they have given to consumers. The interest they charge should be limited, not just what they can get away with.

May 5, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  12. Joshuah Galvan

I would like to begin my comment by saying that my problems are not the worst they could be. I fully recognize that many others are in a far worse situation then I am; having to choose between prescriptions and food; rent or light, and the growling sounds of a child's stomach or the need for simple gasoline to run the car to get to work in order to provide food.
    My stress is limited to my own small bubble that surrounds me. I have currently worked 1 out of the last 6 months, I am currently writing a readmission letter to The University of Illinois @ Urbana Champaign. I am worried about getting back in to school and doing it without a job. I would not be able to maintain without the love and support of friends and family. Yet these banks are worried about raising more money and what does that do for the average American? If Citibank rebounds, does that mean I will recieve the loans I am applying for in order to secure that education? Certainly not. I support the President. However the bailout was large enough to give every American 1 million dollars 10 times and still have enough left over to secure a large bailout amount for these companies. My stress is of no concern to AIG, Countrywide, Citibank, much the same as the concerns of the average 401k client was of no concern to Enron, Adelphi, or Worldcom. My stress is rooted not in money, my goal is not financial achievement. My goal is to mold my life into a positive force to be proud of. Not so my sham friends could admire my new sportscar, but be proud of a man who can be judged by the content of his character. A man who has given his last full measure of devotion to others in the hope for making a difference in the world. I'm eluding to the last page of the novel; for right now I'm still working on the rising action. Let the arc continue.

May 5, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  13. Tavia

Having to work 50+ hours (working 2 jobs) a week and taking night courses twice a week is stressful. I have recently moved into my own place and continue to be stressed out because I have a busy, fast moving life that never gets a break. The fact that the economy is in bad shape doesnt help. Just being a college student, recently finishing my B.A. and trying to get a M.A., paying everything on my own is not easy.

May 5, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  14. Jason

What's stressing me the most? I have a final in 2 hours, two final papers due on Thursday, I work Wednesday through Friday and my girlfriend is, well, not on her happiest few days of the month...

May 5, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  15. Jen

As if planning a wedding isn't stressful enough, try planning one in this economy! I have been unemployed for 5 months and the nonprofit where my fiance works has cut the work week down to 4 days! Had I known the economy was going to fall apart this badly, we would have run away to Vegas to get married!

May 5, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  16. Patricia A Kuehn

My son is leaving for Afghanistan soon and right now, nothing seems important except to have him come home safely. This is a very stressful time for our family.

May 5, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  17. Mark Hillman

I'm stressed by the media's "not as bad as expected" and "green shoots" nonsense !

May 5, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  18. Daniell

When are we not stressed?!! Trying to complete my MBA, dealing with being a foreign student, relationships. All of these provide ample stress in my already hectic life. The only stress reliever I have discovered so far is goal setting. Looking to the future keeps me on track and, more importantly, sane.

May 5, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  19. Steve-Mich

Stress- Lost TWO jobs in January. Full time for 8.5 yrs, and one contract part time for 3 yrs.
    on only UIA right now, have to move from apartment next month and no money to move and no place yet to go. Apt complex will only rent to us after 12 month lease is up cuz we have a little one after we moved in, and that counts too many per bedroom. So if we stay it has to be month to month leasing and that hikes the rent to more than our Unemployment is.
    Looking hard for new job, didnt get any severance- indefinite layoff.

May 5, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  20. Stan

I'll tell you what is stressing me, FOX News.... LOL

May 5, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  21. G. Barry

What stressing me is the fact that these pirates can shoot at our ships and we don't seem to shoot back. If you ask me if we start littering the ocean with dead bodies and sunk pirate ships the problem will settle down. We can shoot and kill in America, Iraq, Afganistan why not there???

May 5, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  22. Kierra B.

School! I got a late start in the game, and finding ways to fund my education gets difficult sometimes. Being married, we have bills on top of bills, and sometimes paying for the power and food just HAS to come before books and getting the laptop updated!

May 5, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  23. Nelson

MY College term papers and finals are stressing me out. Luckily, I have have a job but Ifound out two days ago that my position is not a permanent position. It says it is a conditional position. I was trying to purchase a house this summer, now I have to figure out what exactly a conditional position means before I take out a home loan for a house.

May 5, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  24. Angela Tacoma Washington

Buying a new home even though prices are excellent and write offs are exciting, job loss is still on the rise...

May 5, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  25. Erma

What is stressing me out is that for five years I have been working on this one of a kind Garden of Eden. The Inspirational Art Garden and no one knows about what I have done because I can not afford to advertise. Maybe CNN will help me to get the word out about my inspired garden since the local media in Texas is to racist to report about it because I am a black woman.

May 5, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  26. Robert Davis

I have been stressed for 20 months now. I have been unemployed since September 18, 2007. I lost my communications job of 10 years. Each time I apply or submit my resume they see my past yearly wages of $71000.00/year and I am immediately passed over or considered to be over-qualified. I am willing to work and stress that for $10.00/hour when I am applying for work. It's going to get better, right?

May 5, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  27. Chris

You know what's stressing me? THE MEDIA. I'd be fine if it weren't for all the fearmongering about the latest "fear-topic-du-jour" every time I turn on the TV. Yes, I realize, I'm gonna be broke and/or dead from something soon and if it isn't reported in "crisis mode" by another talking head, I'll never take it seriously enough, but it's getting out of control these days.

May 5, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  28. Usman A.

First off, my biggest stress is college. Not paying for it, working my way to finishing it. I am fortunate enough to have my parents pay for my school but due to me changing majors and mistakes I made freshman year I am a little behind my friends and such in graduation. I hope to be graduating next year but with all the credits I need to make up I just don't know. My girlfriend is graduating this december and we are getting more serious, and I really want to spend the rest of my life with her. We are already discussing plans for saving money and ensuring that we can have a happy life together, but with so much on my plate I am worried that I will be able to really get out of college and get a job, and focus on us. This is my biggest stress right now and I am just hoping I can make it all work.

May 5, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  29. bob

hey,
    please tell your anchors that 5 de mayo is not a major holiday in mexico.
    a few mexican high school students won a battle against france but lost the war, that is all it is. it's not even a day off in mexico. its a "hallmark" holiday created by the liquor industry. it's not a "huge holiday" as Mallissa said today.
    thanks....

May 5, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  30. Walt Lasher

Not a thing. I own my home, I own my car I pay cash for everything, nothing on plastic.
    I have always lived below my income level.
    I would like to see my investments a little higher but it will get there in time.
    Problem with the Now/Me generation is they live on the edge and we are at the edge folks.
    This may be a good thing if these people will learn from this and start living within their means.
    I’m 71 years old and a post depression baby and learned well from my parents.

May 5, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  31. Stewart Lustgarten

Dear CNN

I'm a penniless Millionaire who has been disabled for the last 12 years and must move from FL back to my home in MA to be near my family for assistance. My FL home which has a reverse mortgage is up for sale and now I need to get a reverse mortgage on my home in MA to keep it from foreclosure. FHA does not allow 2 reverse mortgages at the sametime and my mortgage company won't give an inch. I have no income other then Soc. Sec. for all my retirement funds were wiped out by the stock market and my loan asset values of my homes far exceed the mortgages.

May 5, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  32. Lynn

I have been unemployed for AWHILE and run out of financial savings. I am now living on my unemployment check, paycheck to paycheck. I cannot afford to pay off my credit card debt. The money I get goes towards rent, cell phone bill and food – really just the essentials. I feel lost – I have No career, No insurance, No money, No friends, can't get a job. So, what isn't stressing me out?

May 5, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  33. Scott

The news media stresses me out...

How about reporting on more positive stories and put a positive spin at the end of any story rather than the usual doom and gloom ending that usually follows every story.. The media is guilty of slanting the pictures and news stories to create a picture of doom and gloom everywhere... How about returning to responsible journalism....

The media loves to create drama.... Job well done!

Mission Accomplished!

May 5, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  34. Patti

My husband's and my father passed away in March, my husband is still recovering from critical injuries suffered in a car accident one year ago, our 21 yr. old house is breaking down – roof leaks, appliances on their last legs, no A/C (and we live in Phoenix!). We are lucky enough to have the money to pay our mortgage but have a high interest rate due to some credit problems (since very much improved). We are paying the medical bills a little a month. We have struggled to get our credit score back to very good, but at the cost of not seeing doctors because of the added expense. We don't qualify for the mortgage assistance since we are paying our mortgage and we can't get a lower mortgage rate because our house is in such bad shape and has a much lower value. We are the middle class who has is lucky enough to get by but unlucky enough to fall through the cracks of the federal aid. We are blessed that two of our kids are graduating college this year and have a wonderful family and for that we are very grateful.

May 5, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  35. Nicholas Kelly

I am stressed because I am underemployed. While reports show economy improvements, employers have not received that word and are not hiring. I have been unemployed since March 28, 2009. I look forward to the day when I can work gainfully and be paid for contributions that are greater than minimum wage. How about we not report on an economic resurgence until those of us on Main Street are able to get a job that will allow us to do more than barely get by and contribute to a 401 K better yet, work for a company that offers benefits more than the honor of part time employment.

I am watching the news reports about bank and automotive bailouts, as well as executives and members of the Administration and local government who owe thousands, while I question daily where my next $100 dollars is coming from.

I feel sorry for not only the many others that are unemployed and not included in the 8.5 percent of reported unemployed but for those who are underemployed and not counted or benefiting from the legislative actions to come down from the new Administration.

May 5, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  36. john doe factory worker

this blog should read whats not stressing me- because i can say in one word- EVERYTHING!!!!!!
    every headline in every paper is stressing, turn on the internet- same thing- all doom and gloom-
    MY JOB- while i still have one- is my major stress right now... as we were told that because the president does not want new helicopters, we might loose our jobs– and there is nothing around here for another place to work- every factory job in the area is hurting- some working only 3 days-the rest of the time on work share.
    the prices on EVERYTHING keeps going up-my pay is the same, and now i might loose that.... stress- you want stress-aaughhhhhhhhh

May 5, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  37. Dave C

Obama stresses me out. The media WORSHIPPING him stresses me out.
    Why are we hurting, yet Michelle Obama has $500 shoes?
    We are paying for her mother-in-law sucking the government teat.
    Bumbly-Joe-Biden is bozo the clown.

Obama is not cool, he is like a little kid bowing down to the Saudis and Chavez.

Where is the REAL reporting?
    When the leftists control the Education in America, and the media.......they spread the lies without question.

Why hasn't Obama, a "Christian" gone to church yet?

I now understand what Reagan had to deal with with the Soviet Union and State-run media. We have Pravda here now...90% of the media is now a cheerleader for Obama.

It's sickening what has become of this nation.

Why work anymore when people who shouldn't have homes, have them...people who don't pay taxes get rebates.
    Why work hard when all your work helps the other lazy guy?

The Tea Party events were real, yet scoffed at even by CNN and Anderson Loser-Cooper (another liberal rich family).

Hail to ACORN and the Community Organizer in Chief....

You won't read this on the air...and I am awaiting my tax audit since I'm sure I am on a list now!

May 5, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  38. Citizen

Being a citizen of a country where the government does not care about you is what stresses me out. For 222 years we have been led by a government that cares only about the politicians working it. When was the last time a president came from a background that makes him or her the normal citizen? When was the last time a senator went door to door and asked what the people really want? The Federal government needs to change and truly be of the people, for the people, by the people. We elect these politicians to speak for us, but instead they are corrupt beuracrats who are concerned with their own welfare. It is time for a change.

May 5, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  39. Lee Hubbard

What stresses me is what we pay our (leaders? )
    The amount of money they will recieve when they retire.
    The amount of time they put in before qualifying to retire.
    And the very cushy health care they get when retired.

The can't run our Government, but then turn ariound and try to tell us how to spend our money.
    They can even refuse to do there jobs (before the election is over)
    And not get fired.
    I could nevr get away with that.

May 5, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  40. EJ Robson

Last December I was had to close my business of 7 years as a result of declining sales. I put my life and life savings in to that business, now I being sued for the bank loans that are overdue, the IRS and local tax entities are after me for penalties and interest, not to mention the vendors and suppliers that I owe. I'm unemployed, but can't collect benefits since I was self-employed, and will be completely broke (and presumably homeless) in a couple of months. I have exucutive level experience prior to starting my own business, but not a college degree. If I apply for senior position they wonder how I got to a senior level without a degree and if I apply for a lower level position they wonder why I'm applying for that position when I have much higher level experience! I'm so stressed out that I've been breaking out in hives that itch like crazy, so I escape into video games and TV, which just make things worse because I put off all those thing I should be doing.

May 5, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  41. Bill Rowling

Hello,

My wife Susan and I are under increasing stress because of personal/business mortgages. In 2003 we mortgaged our two properties through Countrywide to start a renewable energy business. Sounds like a great future doesn’t it. We were just breaking even in September of 2008 when business tanked along with the economy.

Now you can fire a cannon through our store all day long and never hit a customer. That's because no customers are coming in and that's causing us to go broke. Since September when we first called Countrywide then Bank of America and Fannie Mae we have been delayed and lost and delayed some more. The loan programs keep changing and meanwhile we get more stressed. I worry about our health. I’m 61 and Susan is 60 and it seems like the banks want to take everything we have been working for all our lives.
    Now we're applying for the Affordable Home Program but Countrywide says Fannie Mae requires we go into loan payment default for 6 months before they can help us. I asked our negotiator why we had to wait 6 months after we already waited 6 months and she said "because Fannie Mai says". I pressed her about it and she got mad and shuffled us around for another 3 months for punishment. It's already been 9 months and I still want to know why we have to wait and be stressed out for another 6. Maybe you can help. We signed the Forbearance contract to apply but why can’t we be accepted into the Affordable Home Program now so we aren’t so stressed for another half a year we can’t even enjoy life.
    Bill Rowling Tacoma, Washington cell 253-677-0205

May 5, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  42. Laura

Where to start? The mainstream media is bias, the democrats are corrupt, the President is a Socialist, the economy is being attacked, Jobs
    are being lost, national debt is tripled projected for the next ten years, our free speech is being debated, and religious beliefs being vilified. Gays judge the beauty contests, and George Soros is running our country into the ground. Acorn is ligitimized, and Israel is being told to have restraint. Hate crimes are only one sided, Attorney generals are ignoring their lawful duties. The Hawaii Governor is holding back the truth
    of Obamas birth certificate, Obama won't release his birth, medical or educational records, WHY? The only real hope we have is we as Americans will only take so much, Then we will take back our media, academia, our congress, our senate and the white house, watch and see!

May 5, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  43. Steve-Mich

thanks to Joshuah Galvan, i appreciate your empathy and good heart.

each of us is in some level of pain. even those with good jobs and good situations financially are feeling the pain of some friend, or relative thats had hardships.
    For those of us in severe trouble, just pray for us and keep calling your legislators to find a way to help.
    From what i've seen this is a state of emergency in this country.
    The area i live in is at over 22% unemployment with over 10% of employed working only part time not by choice.

I just read that GM will shut 2600 dealerships.
    @ avg # of employees of 40, thats over 100,000 more people out of work. Sales persons, administrative, accounting, mechanics, detail, body shops. thats direct.
    Take the average # for how many indirect jobs will be lost.

May 5, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  44. Lorena

I'm a junior at The University of Texas at San Antonio, and I'm stressed over finals! I've been pulling a couple of all nighters this week and I'm exhausted!

May 5, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  45. Julie

With two small children it's impossible not to be extremely stressed.

May 5, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  46. neil morrison

my credit cards have increased my payments and interest rates to where i cant afford my medicines.im on s.s. and disabled.im having trouble now paying my mortgage because of the credit cards.im very depressed and dont know what to do.

May 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  47. bart

The corruption within our government, at every level, is what is stressing me. There seems to be no end to it.

May 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  48. nancy nau

In California, Social Security payments have been cut by at least 10%. Even before the cut that was not enough to live on for most seniors in this state. Also, the state has taken about 75% budget cuts from services for elderly and disabled. Seniors have too many stresses already without forcing us to live without food for part of the month and/or other services that we truly need.

May 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  49. Denny Milgate

What's stressing me? That rumbling noise that appears from story to story on CNN newscasts. Doesn't it occur to anyone that it's just noise pollution? If that sound appeared on our station, we would be trying to track it down to get rid of it. Please folks? If you are trying to create tension – quit for goodness sake.

May 5, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  50. Renonia

It is really ironic to see in the news that the few Americans that are able to help our President seem to have refused to do so. He has proved in every possible way that he is fully qualified and able to lead this country. Yet, the Americans that are in charge of banks and all other sources of support flatly refuse to help him. It is pathetic to think that these people will be the reason that our country will not be alble to recover. We could all be so healthy and happy learning to live, care and share with each other. That is God's will for us all. I hope they won't wait too late to get on board.

May 5, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  51. Alice Scott

The everyday news I hear and see on channels like CNN. Sometimes I think the whole world has gone nuts. It is plain to see what GREED has done to this country. It all boils down to that one word.....GREED...wanting more and more and not caring about anyone else but self. I have NEVER seen an armored car following a hurst to the cemetery NOR a moving van.

May 5, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  52. Allison

I am stressed about our struggling family business and a child with autism who has increasingly costly medical expenses that our expensive family insurance coverage does not pay for. And, the banks who take advantage of people who are struggling right now, by increasing interest rates and cutting credit lines. UGH!

May 5, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  53. carrie mcguire

after sustaining major damage in the 2004 hurricanes (which fema would not help because i had homeowners insurance but the sba wouldnt give me a low interest loan because my income was too low? homeowners replaced the structure but the out buildings fence lines and concrete work and contents were depreciated and hurricane deductibles are 3% of the homes value so i had to refinance my house to repair it and since then btwn shortened work hours inflation and trying to keep two children clothed and fed i have no savings left and cant borrow from my 401k since its half the value it was the mortgage company doesnt answer the phone and i wrote them twice but only get a recorded message telling me to call the line they dont answer i tried the govt mortgage help line and they had me leave a message and information and they have not called back after one month i tried t find the website you mentioned one day which was financialstrategies.com and google gave me 10000 hits so i never could find the right one i am not having any fun since this started ive given up my cell ph, the childrens college funds any type of recreation haircuts and clothes all i have left are util mortgage and food and im still not going to make it

May 5, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  54. John / Phoenix

The biased media stresses myself and most people that I know. Many of the "news outlets" have lost there objectivity.

We are to the point of contacting advertisers and stating we will not purchase there goods and services if they continue advertise with such outlets.

A people that fears its government are not free.

Sincerely

May 5, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  55. Anthony W. Loken

Stressed, Depressed, or all of the above! I'm a young dairy farmer who sees the big picture! People are out of work in this country because In 1952 the Eisenhower Administration took farm commodity prices off of Parity Pricing!!! If this doesn't get fixed this country will see the greatest depression yet! So, stressed yes! Pissed off, yes! Gonna do something about it, YES!!!!

May 5, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  56. Linda Kpaka

I am stressed over the financial services industry. It seems that all of our money in America has been stolen. Why should I pay franchise taxes on my business when we have not had an income? In addition, why should guns be owned by a certain segment of American society. Guns only purpose is to kill. Gun owners have that intent. Police and law enforcers and armed services should be the only trained personell handling firearms and weapons.

Linda Kpaka

Staten Island

May 5, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  57. Portlander

Last February my employer anounced 1,400 people would loose their job by the end of the fiscal year. Fiscal year ends in 26 days!

May 5, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  58. Steven P

I am in the same boat as a lot of the folks here, lost job, dwindling to no savings left. I approached my bank and asked about some help, they indicated that they would be willing to cut my house payments for a period of 18 months, till i got back on my feet. they wont offer me this help till i am employed again. Wells Fargo... how is that helping now, when i need it most? "That's just our policy!" I was told...

I hear the news that things arnt as bad as all that, BS, things are terrible!
    I hear that these companies are getting money for nothing and that it just wrong.

Revolution is near! This i fear as well!

May 5, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  59. bsweet61@twitter

I'm stressing about the H1N1...praying for all of the families who has
    been affected trying to keep my family safe buy using all of the precautions necessary.

May 5, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  60. thane

Stressed out that individuals don't know the difference between bad behavior and gun control. People commit crimes not guns; we should be addressing the real issue like behavior and values of youth and parents. Would help our high school dropout rates, gun crimes by the young and a host of other problems. Our values and priorities are screwed up in this country and unfortunately our government is re-inforcing this poor behaviour through crappy policy that doesn't acknowledge life's principles or facts. Again on gun crime, Finland has more guns per capita and they don't our gun crime; why, because their citizens have put away "childish" things. I guess our president needs to tell us what childish things must be put away since our citizens are too stupid to understand the principles themselves.

May 5, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  61. Don Lohrey

Health care coverage is stressing me out – lost my job a year ago – am now on Cobra paying $800/month for my wife and I. My wife got a job without health care and I just got a new job that does not include health care for 6 months. Yikes!!

May 5, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  62. dabrwmstr

In response to those that are stressed thinking we need tougher gun laws, WE DON'T. Tougher gun laws will only cause the crime rates to rise and make more people victims to the criminals who should have had a better upbringing from their parents. Remember, it all starts at the home. Don't teach your children to be victims or criminals, lead by example!

May 5, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  63. Steve-Mich

Also stressing me is the fact that no media seem to be discussing this:
    As far as im concerned, the #1 cause of financial instability and hardship over the past 8 yrs has been the rampant, allowed, commodities deregulation that created the speculation market for Oil that
    A) Took Billions in disposable income directly from consumers.
    B) put the poor and lower income middle in financial stress and increased credit card debt, as well as increased "home equity loans" to pay off debt, which then put homes in jeopardy.
    C) raised costs and hence prices on EVERYTHING from mass transport, to fruit and veggies, to UPS and postal prices.
    D) kept the avalanche rolling by raising costs on ALL infrastructure services such as school bus rides, services to disabled and elderly, charities, Local fire, police, construction costs, materials, Busted local and state budgets.
    E) The single biggest reason for increased Property taxes was due to elevated unending increased municipal costs hammering existing budgets. Again putting more price cost pressure on the poor and lower income middle and some middle class persons, and a few higher income individuals.
    Energy prices- not just oil either- Electric and natural Gas also spiked and continued to rise with the market prices of oil.
    These additional higher consumer, corporate, and municipal utility costs per month added to the financial distress from Gasoline/Diesel, Property tax, general costs rising.

There is no other topic with as much open public evidence as to the cause of the myriad of financial problems Americans have dealt with over the past near decade.

May 5, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  64. >:(

I am stressed because of an issue that is being completely ignored by lawmakers. My boyfriend has a son that he has supported since birth and he is being completely taken advantage of. His child support payments are so high that he can’t afford necessities like rent. Meanwhile the mother is receiving funds from the state because she hasn’t updated her information. They have no idea that she is making almost double the amount of money that she was when she signed up plus she is getting almost $1000 a month for child support. The people from child support enforcement talk to him like he is a criminal. He is being punished for all of the men who don’t pay their child support! It seems as though there is nothing he can do about the situation unless he has a lawyer, but with his child support payments, he can’t afford one.

May 5, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  65. Joseph Class

what"s stressing me out is all the unexpected expenses that comeup with home ownership. Having the water bill rates always increase every year is insane. On top of that, this heating bill is nuts. You try tolock in a rate before thee heating season bebins, only to see the price go down while you are locked into a contract. But that"s not even the worst part. I have sunk close to $200K into this house over a 7 years period.The house is over 100 years old.The value of my house has gone down due to forclosers. I already work 7 days a week + my wife has a full time job. I had an emergency repair to do to my house just a few months ago. The sewer pipe in the bathroom of the 2nd floor apartment had a fist sized hole in it causing a mess on the ceiling of my bathroom. I had to use money I had set aside for my heating season + borrow money from my mother in-law to come up with the $10,000.00 I needed for the repair. I still owe the oil company 1200.00 which I can not afford to pay in 1 shot.

May 5, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  66. MaryinKentucky

MONEY,BILLS AND PAYING TAXES. The rest I can live with

May 5, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  67. Anthony W. Loken

Stressed, YES! I'm extremely disappointed off at our gov't and agricultural leaders! Agriculture is what built this country and is the only thing that will make this country thrive again! PARITY needs to be restored to pricing agricultural commodities! If farmers don't make money, nobody does! It all began in 1952! As a young dairy farmer I am getting paid 25% parity! We need a minimum of 60% parity price to even break even to cover the cost of production! We need this to happen to pay off not only our debt but the national debt! Farmers are the only one's that create NEW WEALTH in this country and if we were paid for it jobs would be created once again and debt would be paid off!!!!!! And because of all this I can't even hold a relationship with a woman I love so deeply because I'm always pissed off and worried! So stressed out, yes! Depressed, yes! Gonna do something about it, YES!

May 5, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  68. RJ

Tony, are you kidding me, Bernanke says economy is stabilizing???? No freaking way, we are still losing thousands of jobs everyday, how is that stabilizing? One can not pay house payments or car payment with no job, what are they thinking! We certainly have not seen the worst yet! Mark my word, its gonna get a lot worse before it gets better!

May 5, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  69. Daniel

I'm tired of the absence of personal responsibility in this country; We've become a society that no longer feels the need to think because we assume someone else will do it for us.

We rack up tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt and buy car and houses we can't afford and then wonder why we can't pay the bills and are falling into bankruptcy. Maybe, just maybe, credit card companies are the enemies here. I've lived 27 years without a credit card, and I do not intend on getting one anytime soon. If I want something but don't have the money for it on hand, here's a thought, I DON'T BUY IT.

We blame schools for our child's faltering grades and misbehavior, but then we complain when they try to take away the kid's cell phone so they might actually pay attention in class. And all the while we never think to simply try interacting with them or even ask ourselves if a 13 year old really needs a cell phone in the first place.

Maybe instead of throwing money away at banks or at wars overseas we should be reinvesting in and overhauling our education system at home. But that will never happen, because instead of a society that esteems education and critical thinking, we've become a society that endorses the shallow mindlessness of sites like facebook, myspace and twitter. Why do I need to know what you're doing every 2 minutes or what you think in 20 words or less? The truth is I don't, nor do I even care. If you really have something important to say, sit down and have a conversation or write a book.

But we don't have time for that because as someone already said, we are a me first, and more importantly me NOW society. To get a feel for it you really only need to listen to the current trend in popular music. Much of what comes out today can be described as nothing but self-centered, macho, misogynistic, egocentric noise. The message basically boils down to I am better than you, so get out of my way because you're breathing my air. And this rubs off on our society. I recently saw a pregnant women have to step into the street because some punk coming down the sidewalk the other way would not step aside and share what was apparently his sidewalk with her. Tell me that is not a sick society.

I could go on, but I'll be lucky if this much gets posted. So what's stressing me? Ask me what's not and you might get a shorter answer.

May 5, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  70. concerned

I think chase has not learned Oatmeal is better than no meal ..and a hous with someone in it ..brings in some money then an empty house for other s to trash and bring down the neighborhood

May 5, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  71. Teresa Fowler

My husband and I have a 3 year old and an 8 week old baby. We both work in the manufacturing industry. We are both stressing about possible layoffs in our industries. My husband works 7 am to 3:30 pm and I will have to work 4:30 pm to 3 am due to the changing enviroment at my job. We are stressing about going with little sleep in order to provide for our little ones. We will be happy as long as our children are clean and fed.

May 5, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  72. Tonya/ Ga

I am stressed about losing medical coverage for my son who has brain damge, days before we were to go back to Atlanta to get cleared for surgery in Feb. Single parent working two jobs, 3 kids, one who is 15 with brain damage, seizures, limited vision, wheelchair bound and has to get all his food by a feeding tube due to not being able to eat by mouth any longer because he aspirates his food into his lungs. Trying to figure out if he does not get reapproved what do I do? How do I pay for his surgery, his meds.feeding formula, his equipment? I wasn't getting any government assistance for my son except medicaid and now that is gone. I have reapplied and I will continue to fight for him, but to know that I have been trying to get this surgery for him since Oct 2009 and to fine out days before returning that he is not longer covered was and is one of the most stressful things I have had to deal with.

May 5, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  73. RJ

whats stressing, how me the middle class tax payer is bailing out not only the big fat cat but the low income non tax payer as well! Obama said he was going to preserve the middle class by forcing the rich to pay their fair share which by the way all you wing nuts might think your paying your fair share but in reality not even close, and for the low income people to actually work for the free money you recieve which by the way isnt happening either as they still lay up on that butt and recieve a free paycheck! Its time the upper and lower income earners pay the middle class back! This will be where we see a change in the economy for the better!

May 5, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  74. Mitch

Ambivalent news
    I tuned in to the Newsroom today at about 1:35 and heard the last of a report on the Taliban treating to disrupt elections in a middle eastern country. It seemed like the reporter was mesmerized by the interview he had conducted with a Taliban member, face not shown, and the reporter seemed like it was a hopeless case for that country.

I am appalled... What happened to responsible journalism and reporters supporting freedom and being against oppression. How about criticizing the Taliban and others who want to disrupt free elections.

This report was just another example of a liberal press that thinks everything will be OK if you just ignore the problem.

May 5, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  75. Mrs. M

I'm stressed out because we need to relocate closer to my mother due to her age and health, but cannot because the home we purchased 2 years ago is now appraising for $30,000 less than what we paid for it, we only have 2 years of equity in it and we are not behind on our mortgage payments so we don't qualify for any refinancing programs. It will be impossible for us to sell without taking a huge financial loss, so we are weighing our options (what few there are) very carefully. I know we are not the only ones in this position so my question is: If you are current on your house payments but "upside down" in your equity through no fault of your own, where is the help for people like us?

May 5, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  76. lenemar

I don't normally get stressed. But thanks to NC's Gov. Bev Purdue, I'm a bit stressed this month. In her quest to balance the state's budget shortfall, she has decided to reduce the annual salaries of all state employees .5 percent for the fiscal year. This includes employees of public schools, universities, and community colleges as well. The local media has reported this move to make it sound like a minor inconvenience since the money will be spilt between each employee's May and June paycheck. What they don't report, however, is what happens to teachers who are on a 10 month pay contract that ends in May. In these cases, the final paycheck comes in May, along with the deduction. So since both my husband and I are teachers, we will be short close to $600 this month. I guess I'm really more mad than stressed.

May 5, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  77. Craig Riha

You really want to know? Why does obama rely on financial advice from richard raynes throughout his campagn?indicted for 205 feloniies. Prosecution? Where is it? Why do union workers or UAW win in Chrysler deal over investors? Workers have been paid already.
    I think the unions have priced themselves out of work just like textiles in America did.
    Get real with this crap. Pass a law that says you have to show you have a job to vote. Look I am no radical. I am just fed up. The government is spending money I haven't had a chance to earn yet.
    I am all for equaliy. Now let's have some.

May 5, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  78. Craig Riha

Well while we are at it. Let 's just let it all out. When did we start letting the minority run the country? How many GLBT out there? Less than 1%. Well no need to ask why a gay agenda, a no prayer in school policy, an open abortion plan fueled by stem cell research cannot solve the problems America is facing. The problems we face are a direct result of and much more than any current plan of man can solve.
    The basic problem is we know too much, want too much, think too much beyond what we actually know without a doubt.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs1:7
    Carry on America, Carry On!

May 5, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  79. Daphne E

I am a single mom with 2 kids, I am stressed because I am living in a home that is in foreclosure that I rented from a "slumlord" that failed to pay any money to the bank. The bank however was kind enough to offer me to purchase the home, but then something was reported on my credit incorrectly that caused my credit score to drop. I thought I was going to be evicted, but the bank, Freddie Mac has offered to lease the home to me. This is an amazing story with a lot more twists and turns along the way that have caused my stress levels to fluctuate daily.

I am very fortunate to be able to stay in this home, but now, I am stressed about the home purchase process.

May 6, 2009 at 6:13 am |
  80. John / Phoenix

Fellow Bloggers:

Start a writting letters to the advertisers on the following news channels ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN.

"STATE: You will not buy there products and services until they stop advertising on these social engineering propaganda machines that hate America and are taking away the freedom that so many have given there lives to defend."

The spending in Democratic Congress and supported and promoted by President Obama will leave chains of debit on our children and bankrupt our country. In doing so this will allow Obama to continue with his plan to move to one world currency and the people of the USA will become drones under the WORLD ORDER.

STAND UP, Change the power in Congress and the House of Representatives and neuter Obama so he can do no more damage and we can start the repair.

May 7, 2009 at 6:59 pm |