Today on CNN Newsroom

May 5th, 2009

WORRIED ABOUT PAYING FOR COLLEGE??

SEND US YOUR QUESTIONS!
Throughout this month, you'll see special "Class of '09" segments on the Heidi Show.
Tomorrow (Wednesday) at 10:30 we'll have a financial aid expert and a college career-center director (he helps students find jobs while they're in school to help pay tuition/expenses) on our air, answering your questions. Confused/concerned about financial aid, grants, loans, scholarships, 529 plans, work-study, and non-work-study jobs? We can't do this segment without your questions - post them below!!

Filed under: Class of '09 • Heidi Collins
  1. Kevin Lopez

It seems like the economy has left many public institutions suffering severely forcing many programs to close and essentially leave many students without any options to meet desired dreams and desired majors. With schools facing issues such as budget cuts, as students we are faced with financial burdens in the form of increased tuition and fees which leave little room for many to be able to afford even mainstream courses. My question is when can we as students expect to see some of those changes that were mentioned by the Obama administration. Truly, given the severity of decisions we see being enacted today in policies relating to economic strategic policies, it should be priority that we students be allowed to progress further through the arena of academia,.

May 5, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  2. jeff

Heres a crazy idea. Try covering a real news worthy topic like the
    White House threatining Chrystler shareholders with death threats. If I was a reporter i would be all over this story. But at least you were all over the new internet search engine story. hahaha

May 5, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  3. Lealand Thompson

I watching every Monday to Friday CNN almost all morning. Heidi you are always so stylish. Whoever helps you put your outfits together two thumbs up. You always look the BOOM!!!!!!! Plus you have a personality which is great!!! When you report a story I believe you and that does a long way. Okay now back to CNN.

May 5, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  4. Shannon Sparrow

Why do I have to declare my parents income until I am 25, married, or have children? I am completely self-sufficient and have been since my senior year of high school. I pay my own rent, car payment, health insurance, etc., and have been my own dependent on every tax return since 2005. My parents also refuse to co-sign on a student loan, which I was told would need to happen for me to get the aditional $1000 that my Stafford loan doesn't cover this semester. I know there have to be other students in the same situation as me. What can I do to prove that I am an independent student or get financial aid that is based off the income that I have? What would it take to lower the independent student age to 22 or 23, which is the age at which most students are kicked off of their parents health insurance?

May 5, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  5. Dan

How about a 1 month CNN moratorium on: Wow! Boy! Sure do appreciate it!

May 5, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  6. Terry Trentham

Wish you where on longer than two hours. You cover a lot of news in a short period of time. Keep up the good work.

May 5, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  7. Sebastian

Hi i have 50,000 dollars in private student loans and i can't find work. What programs or plans are available to me so that i can lower my payment plans?

May 5, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  8. Lucious Alexander

I have a newborn son, and i"m worried that his education will be too expensive by the time he's ready for community college. What can I do to start saving now?

May 5, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  9. Erica Kjar

I just finished my sophomore year in college, studying engineering, and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for next year. I don't qualify for financial aid through the FAFSA and I can only get a limited amount of unsubsidized Stafford Loans. I have scholarships, but I am still short. I can't get a private loan without a cosigner and no one close to me qualifies. Is there anywhere I can go to get a loan without a cosigner?

May 5, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  10. Natalie Hartman Whitnack

Like 6 million grandparents across the Nation, I have raised my grandson who is now 18 years old. I am blessed that he is a bright, talented young man who hopes to enter the production/synthesis world of music. There are great colleges like Berklee College of Music that have the greatest educators that could help him, but my discretionary funds went to pay for his music lessons, school activities, music camps and support for activities of daily living. Like many parents we hate to see our loved one incur huge debt to follow their dreams. Hopefully, President Obama's ideas for supporting education will kick in soon. We are blessed with affordable community colleges in California, but the road looks dim following one receiving their A.A.

May 5, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  11. Ken Young

Why are people not buying cars? Its because any extra money that use to be availible is now going to insurance dectubibles and copays.
    Its not the housing market.

May 5, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  12. Jesse Diaz

With my recent application for a Stafford Loan, I have found that paying for college is not so simple. We as a nation are faced with uncertainty due to the unstable market. I am thankful Financial Aid has assisted me to obtain the education I will be using in the future. People must rememeber that there are plenty of sources which are available to help. The federal government has multiple programs, along with grants which are available for those who wish to pursue higher education. I am proof that the money is available.

May 5, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  13. Diana Daniel

Because of my husband's medical bills we have had to delay our daughter's college loan repayments.....how long will we bve allowed to do this....He has leukemia....Thank You

May 5, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  14. Tim, NY

My advice is NOT to get a student loan if possible. The loan rates are very high (higher than a mortgage) with interest accumulating immediately after you take them, not just when you finish school. It is a HUGE BURDEN and should be avoided. Get a job if possible.
    I am not only a college but a doctoral graduate.

May 6, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  15. leighton

Hi Heidi, am an international student and i need information on how to lower the cost of paying for my college fee..... am a Jamaican with the goal of majoring in computer science. its real hard now to do so, just lost my job of 4 years (which i was good at) now i need the time to get in an institution of my need. anything would be helpful .

May 13, 2009 at 6:34 pm |