Today on CNN Newsroom

May 10th, 2009

Jacqui's "Recession Garden"

From CNN Meteorologist Jacqui Jeras:

It’s been a few weeks since Master Gardener Walter Reeves helped me plant a "recession" garden. So far it has been fun; more so than I would have imagined. The kids and I check it every morning. The strawberries took off right away and I have harvested about 20 nice berries! They would have cost me about $4 at the grocery store. The problem is that birds and rabbits are starting to nibble, and I’ve lost about six good berries. Walter suggested putting up a fence and bird netting. I had to go out and buy both, so I’ve added another $15 to my investment. With the help of my husband, we put up a chicken wire fence and made sure to carefully secure the fence to the wood border (that way the critters can’t sneak through the bottom). I will put up the bird netting tomorrow and let you know if it all helps.

Issue No. 2 (and I hate to complain!) is that it has rained nearly every day. The tomatoes look a little wilted and there is some kind of mold growing in the soil. In the coming weeks, we will consult Walter and do a piece on troubleshooting in the garden. E-mail me (jacqui.jeras@turner.com) any topics you may want covered and I’ll try to incorporate some of them into the story.

On a bright note, I’ve picked two bunches of cilantro. I made an awesome mango salsa to top off grilled salmon and gave the other bunch to my photojournalist, Ferre Dollar. And last week I picked some fresh basil and used it for a caprice salad. I only wish I had garden tomatoes to go with it... Give it time!

Filed under: Don Lemon • Sign of the Times
  1. Alisha

I live in southeastern N.C. on a farm which is covered by a good bit of forested land. There are a lot of edible wild plants growing here. My family and I plan to make use of this free food. I've already made use of wild dewberries and we're happily waiting for the wild blueberries to turn ripe. Have you seen the price of fresh produce in grocery stores lately?

May 15, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  2. kate parker

Let's hope that people continue to garden past the "recession". There are so many reasongs why gardening should become a way of life and not just something people do because of difficult economic times. Perhaps you might consider calling your gardening endeavour something besides "recession gardening". For those of us who have gardened for years, it's tough to see gardening associated with hard times.

May 16, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  3. Fred

Hi Jacqui,
    I really like your garden idea! Maybe you & Fredricka should have a pot luck with the produce from your Victory Gardens! Now I wonder if you can scare the critters away with a sort of scarecrow so that they don't eat all your berries. Our garden here in Toronto is all flowers. I cut the grass mostly.
    Fred from Toronto
    ( Hope you don't have a bad hurricane season this year )

May 19, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  4. Karoline Stackhouse

I have to show my love for your generosity in support of people who really want help with your concern. Your special commitment to getting the solution all through had become unbelievably good and has truly permitted those like me to attain their objectives. Your personal informative help and advice entails a lot a person like me and much more to my fellow workers. Thank you; from everyone of us.

January 11, 2021 at 1:16 am |
  5. Willian Hodell

I am glad for writing to let you be aware of of the awesome discovery my friend's daughter encountered browsing your webblog. She mastered a wide variety of things, not to mention what it's like to have an excellent helping mindset to have the mediocre ones easily know precisely a variety of multifaceted matters. You undoubtedly did more than people's desires. Thanks for delivering such priceless, dependable, educational not to mention unique guidance on that topic to Sandra.

January 28, 2021 at 10:08 pm |
  6. Shad Liddell

I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays..

January 28, 2021 at 10:09 pm |
  7. Margery Suggs

I definitely wanted to make a comment so as to appreciate you for some of the fabulous points you are placing at this website. My time-consuming internet lookup has at the end been paid with good quality knowledge to share with my family. I 'd repeat that most of us visitors actually are undeniably blessed to be in a useful site with very many lovely people with helpful guidelines. I feel really grateful to have encountered your entire website page and look forward to tons of more fabulous times reading here. Thank you again for a lot of things.

March 4, 2021 at 10:18 am |