Today on CNN Newsroom

May 20th, 2009

Tell Kyra!

Planning to buy or sell a car in the near future? Wondering what the new emissions standards might mean for YOU? Maybe you're just curious how car dealers are coping these days.

We've got the CEO of Autotrader.com and a GM dealer in our 1PM ET show.

Post your questions about the auto industry here - or send us a tweet @KyraCNN.

***UPDATE*** Interesting info from Autotrader.com's "Trend Engine" - the top 6 new cars people searched the site for last month were American makes/models. In fact, 8 of the top 10 were "Big Three" cars.

1. Ford Mustang
2. Ford F-150
3. Dodge Challenger
4. Chevrolet Camaro
5. Chevrolet Silverado 1500
6. Chevrolet Corvette
7. Nissan 350Z/370Z
8. Jeep Wrangler
9. Dodge Ram 1500
10. Honda Accord

Filed under: Kyra Phillips • On TV
  1. michael armstrong sr.

and who has the extra money to buy a car most people are taking out loans to pay there utility bills the only people that can afford to buy any thing are bankers – utillity workers – and news casters .

May 20, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  2. John Zimmerman

Hey Kyra, I live near Va. Tech and have had the pleasure of watching Mike Vick play while there. I'm glad he's out and am looking forward to his resuming his NFL career. I am an animal lover, particulary dogs and believe he was wrong by bankrolling a dog fighting ring however it's a mistake that, I think, he regrets. He made an error in judgement but I believe that he should be allowed to get on with his life. Enjoy your show segments!

May 20, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  3. Troy

Kyra, everyone keeps saying that now is the best time to buy a car, be it an American car or foreign. At any rate I am a college student who is dealing with the typical young person expenses and I'm afraid if i wait too long when I am able to buy a car I will have missed the boat of good deals that everyone is talking about. What do I do?

May 20, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  4. Innovator

Actually, I am gonna start a used car dealership in about a month up here in Seattle, WA. Definitely going the "used" car route with in- house financing. My question is, "Do you think the banks will finally start lending money out soon to consumers???

May 20, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  5. sauchou

Hi,

I am planning to buy a car after a long wait of about 2 years now. Just when we finalized on one of the cars we get this news of new milegage laws that are proposed. Since we are interested in a new Toyoto Model 2009 Venza my question is:

1. How good is this idea of buying a new model now?
    2. Since one of the major point that we consider is the resale what will happen to our non-Hybrid cars resale value after 2016 . Are these cars will be super out dated then?

Enjoy you segment .. great fan of CNN..

May 20, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  6. Bob Nicol

My son needs to buy a car but cannot afford a new one. What are your recommendations for reliable transportation under $3,000?
    thankS

May 20, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  7. sauchou

I forgot to set the automatic notification to my earlier post can you please set that..

May 20, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  8. Matthew Christian

I drive a 1993 Ford F150 that gets about 10 mpg and is about to reach its end. I live in Los Angeles and am considering buying a motorcycle that gets between 45 and 60 mpg and helps me deal with traffic. Does the proposed Cash for Clunkers bill offer any incentive to buy motorcycles or does it only apply to cars?

May 20, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  9. Andy W.

My wife's 2005 Chevy Trailblazer 48 month lease is up in July, should we purchase this car or buy a new car?

May 20, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  10. Carlos R Santana

Hey Kyra, I live in Boston MA area and have had either the unfortunate or fortunate luck of having my car die and in the market for a new car for the past month and would love to buy American but have some question It seems like the deals offered now by GM/Chrysler are no better than what was offered last month . All the incentives offered today are the same as last month and with the removal of employee price price the incentives are coming off the MSRP. Why should I buy now or should I wait I hear 2 dates June 1st and June 9th being thrown around should I wait for these dates and why?

May 20, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  11. jean

I have a 2006 gas guzzler which no one wants to take on a trade. I am trying to trade for a crossover looking at Buick enclave, chevy traverse, mazda cx9 and audi Q7. Worried about GM brands and wheter I shoud just wait until after the june 1st deadline for GM. Or totally forget GM products and go with Mazda or Audi.

May 20, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  12. james

in reference to hybrids, are there any tax credits from the govt for any
    models brought for 2010 years?.

May 20, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  13. Jay from Flint, Michigan

I'm in the market for a new vehicle however my credit score is right on the cusp of being a average or a risky buyer being in the lower 600's. What kind of down payment do I need to put down in order to ensure I drive off the lot with what I want? And how much leverage do I loose as a buyer not having tier one credit?

May 20, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  14. Paul

Hey Kyra, I need a car so bad and I always wanted a F-150; and seeing the 2009 model looks fantastic, is there any possible deals or options to buy a new model trucks that are less than $20,000?

May 20, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  15. Pat Calvert

I went to a Pontiac dealership and inquired about a Soltice. The deal was $500 off. I was expecting much more. Am I asking to much?

I will not have a dealer to go to soon after I buy so why not give me a deal?

Thanks

May 20, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  16. kathryn richardson

hi yall Ihave a question.I am looking at buying a car.I am a first time buyer. I am 25 , andI am a flight attendant from nola .(we dont have the best paying job) were should I look at a dealer that shuting down or used one. with all of this going onI am worried I will get mess over. i have to get a car bc my parents need mine and they are not working ..

May 20, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  17. Maureen Mower

Hi Kyra,

Thanks for using my tweet on your car segment. Was such a great surprise!

Unfortunately, since it was a surprise, my hubby and son missed it. Hubby was napping, son at school. Any way I can get a copy of the clip, or find the segment online for them to see later?

Thanks again!!

May 20, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  18. Mohd Qaaydeh

Dear Kyra,

I was watcing your story about the fmailiy that was able to nogtitaite a re-modification on thier morgage because they appear on CNN... We have the same problem..

I lost my job and my iwfe still working and {mortgage co.} reviwong our application for Re-modification the last 4montths..
    We do not have an answer yet..

They set june 1, 2009 to sell our house... We really worry that they are delying thier repsonse to us till the auction date to waitso we can not do anything about it..

We even barrow the balance so we can get current and the only answer we get from {mortgage co.} is wait..

Please let me appear on CNN so {they} speed the process before we lose our house..

Thanks

May 20, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  19. Carrie A

I would, but I don't think I'm able to!

May 20, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  20. Mohd Qaaydeh

You would not which is unded some ligerstandable... However, You can simply light at this problem at your show...It is not about my appearing personally at your show..I careless but you should point out what those big giant banks are doing to family like us...

Why do not you ask {mortgage co.} the following on our behalf... Why If we finally can barrow the money..from a friend or starnagers and pay the blance..Why would they ask us to wait till the date they set to auction the house...

For my knowledge {this mortgage co.}... Recived 15 Billion from the federal goverment so they can help people in our situations...

Just mention that in your show..will You?

Thanks
    Mohd

May 20, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  21. Mohd Qaaydeh

What i meant is simply to shed some light on this problem at your show.

Thanks,
    Mohd

May 20, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  22. David

Here's a great idea to solve the gaseline crisis: bring back the electric car and the auto industry can save face with lots of sales, give the oil industry the need to sell to the trucking industry and everybody wins

May 20, 2009 at 7:01 pm |