Today on CNN Newsroom

May 23rd, 2009

Scam Alert: "Your Warranty Has Expired"

Beware of callers claiming your automobile warranty has expired. It's a ploy that could cost you thousands of dollars. The Federal Trade Commission has identified several outfits behind the phone calls, and taken steps to shut them down. CNN's Randi Kaye spoke with scam expert Christine Durst, CEO of Staffcentrix, about what consumers need to know about these types of underhanded practices.

Filed under: Don Lemon • Sign of the Times
  1. Star B.

It's sad to hear the bad news of people getting over hardworking people or people who are struggling from this economy right now. This is a problem we definitely don't need at this time.....So I'm happy that the FTC caught up with these cold-hearted snakes and shut them down.

May 24, 2009 at 1:54 am |
  2. Pam

They called me the other day and of course I hung up. I am on the do not call list but that doesn't make much difference to them. The do not call list is good because I assume anyone who is calling me is breaking the law anyway and must by default be a scam.

May 24, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  3. Purple Spider

Good for the FTC cracking down on these idiots! I am in the group of many victims being annoyed by these "Warranty calls. Nothing worked to get rid of these "sickos", so I disconnected my phone. They were calling early hours, late hours and several calls a day. They were even calling a group of us at work. We reported this to our Communications Department and even they could not stop them.
    Thank you again Don Lemon, for bringing this to the surface.

May 24, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  4. Tara

Thank goodness they're taking these people down. My aunt (in her 70's) got one of these calls and almost bought in. By the time they were done with her, she felt she "had" to buy it, as if it was not an option.

Thank you CNN for having Ms. Durst on to talk about scams. I've seen her on with Don several times now, and always find the information so worthwhile.

Keep up the good work!

May 24, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  5. grant williams

Murder by doctor is legal in California !!!! Unbelievable but true look at this!!!

June 27, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  6. larry vaughan

I was wondering if there are any legitimate work at home jobs where a person can make a little income. Not looking for the get rich quick ones.

January 14, 2010 at 9:51 pm |