Today on CNN Newsroom

June 3rd, 2009

The Young & The Clueless

Ahhh, childhood. When we were all young and clueless.

In case you missed it - we had a little fun with the website iusedtobelieve.com. Here's the segment. (Be sure to wait for the cameo by a certain Mr. Sanchez...)

And if you've got some personal gems, share 'em below!

1. Charlie Erickson

Aside from Santa, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Mr. Sandman, and the other usuals; I believed in Mr. Lightning. My older brothers used to torture me during thunderstorms. They said Mr. lightning was searching for me, and when the thunder got louder, that meant Mr. lightning was closer to finding me.

.........And to think that I actually loved my two brothers. I never did that to my kid sister. My Mom finally (after a few years of the torture) caught on to what they were doing, and explained to me what thunder and lightning was.

Charlie.

June 3, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  2. Big Phil

I just have to take time out today to bring attention to the issue of GM selling to Chinese. First off , we had Thank God EX President Clinton give the panama canal to Panama which immediately signed a 99 year lease with China. Now we have China buying and making one of our much needed military vehicles, hummer. I guess we will have to consult with China and our debt owners when we have international issues from here on in. We are slowly giving all our rights and independence away. This is a typical big corporation move to shove this up our nose. Thank you GM .

June 3, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  3. Charlie Erickson

Oh, here's another! I used to hear about holidays and upcoming events as "being just around the corner". So, guess who took it literally. Yep, little ol' me. I checked around a lot of corners, when I was young and clueless. I used to lay out very detailed plans in my head, for how I'd catch a glimpse of them. Eventually, it got to the point where as soon as someone uttered that phrase, I took off like a bat out of hell, to the nearest corner. I eventually came to the conclusion that I was always checking around the wrong corner. I never found what I was looking for. I can't recall when I finally gave up searching.

June 3, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  4. Emmanuel Ayemhenre

Emmanuel Ayemhenre I owned Toyota and Honda I and spent huge sum of money on various repairs and maintenance but never own GM,FORD or CRYSLER, I do believe they produce better cars than Toyota, Honda and other counterparts. The only solution to GM and other American Auto maker are: they should be conscious of their designs, customer dynamic needs, offensive strategy for 21st century emerging economy not defensive, strieve to be market leader by innovation not by size. Those idea listed will go a long way putting GM and other American Auto Makers into their original position.

June 3, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  5. G D

Kyra-
    If you want to be critical of everything (want to sound like FOX I guess) try pronouncing things correctly:

nuCLear not nuCULar

June 3, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  6. Kit Fournier

To all the news anchors at CNN:
    although I enjoy watching you on CNN, sometimes I don’t enjoy the listening. You and your cohorts insist on using a new, trendy phrase: Take a listen. It might sound cool, but it is WRONG! Not ENGLISH!
    Here’s why. The phrase seems to parallel Take a look, but it does not. “Look” can be a noun, and you can therefore “take it.” “Listen” is not a noun, it’s a verb. You really cannot “take it.”
    I know, I know. English grammar is boring. Besides, the language is a living breathing creature of the people. At the rate media talkers are changing it, the poor creature will soon cease to communicate anything meaningful. If you were a butcher, would you purposely nick and notch your knife to make it dull? Does a violinist re-tune the strings of his instrument any old way? Of course not! Take better care of your chief instrument. You don’t have to be stiff and pompous. Just use the words correctly so you can go to bed at night knowing you took some care to tell your story well without corrupting the language or the young people who listen and mimic. If you are going to be a role model—and you are, willy-nilly—be an excellent one. Don’t settle for mediocre.
    (directed most especially to Don Lemon and Kyra Phillips, but all of you are in the same boat, to some extent)

June 9, 2009 at 9:37 pm |