Today on CNN Newsroom

June 3rd, 2009

Would you buy a GM or Chrysler right now?

In the market for a new set of wheels? You're in luck, sort of.
There are amazing deals out there. The sticker price on a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited: $39,310. People are paying $32,341. The sticker price on a 2009 Hummer H3X : $43,130. People are paying $34,288. The only catch - Jeep is part of Chrysler, which is in bankruptcy. GM, which is also in bankruptcy, is selling the Hummer brand to a Chinese company.
So here's the question: would you buy a GM or Chrysler vehicle right now? Tough question, especially with all the savings out there. If you need more information in order to post an educated answer, don't despair. Josh Levs shows us more of these deals live in the 9a et hour this morning. There's also a lot more information on cnn.com.
Once you figure it out, post your verdict below.

Filed under: Heidi Collins • Josh Levs
  1. Jenn

We just bought a brand new 2009 GMC TRUCK 3 weeks ago, we got a great deal on it plus we got 10, 000 off as well , the reason we bought it was because our lease was coming up for our pontiac montana, we have always bought GM and probably will still.

June 3, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  2. Wendy Clark

Jenn,
    Thanks for your purchase! We appreciate it and hope you enjoy your new GMC Truck! You can find us in a variety of ways here at GM.

twitter.com/gmblogs
    gmblogs.com
    facebook.com/generalmotors
    gmreinvention.com

Keep in touch!
    Wendy Clark
    GM Social Media

June 3, 2009 at 9:57 am |
  3. Lorna

I helped my son search out a good deal last month on a 2007 GMC Sierra truck . It was loaded...leather seats, Bose stereo system, low mileage, etc., and he had it out the dealer's door for $3,000.00 below the N.A.D.A. book price. Now he has a vehicle newer and nicer than his Dad and I have ! KIDS!

June 3, 2009 at 9:57 am |
  4. CaliGuy

I'd love to buy a new car right now but getting financed is a nightmare!
    If I do get financing I will buy an American made car.

My brother in law just bought a '09 Chevy Silverado and loves it!

June 3, 2009 at 9:58 am |
  5. Rick Narvaez

By American? Last year I purchased a 2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 and paid $24000 for it. I tryed to trade the car back in to Dodge for a large car like a charger, as my family has grown but was given a trade in value of $14000!!! No Thanks!!!

June 3, 2009 at 9:59 am |
  6. larry weaver

Of course I would. I just bought a used Pontiac G8 and already have the then-new "06 GTO. Both cars are the best bang-for-the-buck there is, quality is superb, and the styling makes every head turn. Where were you people when Pontiac needed you? First GM let Oldsmobile's product line slip into extenction, and now Pontiac. Both of these brands could be kicking butt if the execs had had the confidence in the "names" to invest in them. Who wants a new Olds 442? Yeah, that's what I thought.

June 3, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  7. Mark

We bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, and not only does it get 800km to a tank of gas, but it is cleaner burning (greener) and Diesel here is 40% cheaper than gas. And this Mercedes Diesel engine will last many times longer than a gas engine. Couple that with the legendary Jeep 4×4 system, and this trail rated luxury vehicle is one sweet ride.

We got more than 30% off the sticker price on this vehicle. There is no way that you could compare this discount with ANY used car. It really is a buyers market right now.

Jeep has always made money, and regardless of what happens with Chrysler, it is likely someone will be anxious to buy it.

But, this is my 7th Jeep – and I have yet to have one break down or need anything other than regular service ... which is why I keep buying them. My last one lasted more than 10 years, and this will no doubt last longer.

June 3, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  8. Katherine

Due to our recently expanded family (twins!) we were looking at Toyota and Honda to meet our minivan needs.
    Now, with prices being what they are on the Chrysler lots, we're seriously considering purchasing the Town & Country.
    Perhaps this was the price adjustment that the American auto makers needed to make all along to lure customers back into the fold.
    Now we feel the current price more accurately reflects the quality.

June 3, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  9. Eileen Curras

Clearly the whole situation of Judge Sotomayor is taking a clip of a statement and taking it out of proportion. A clear example of how miscommunication can affect anyone. The truth is that all this miscommunication has open the spark to conversations and to break the ice of the Federal Judicial System. Federal Employees live in a very control environment. There are not public figures but their judgment can affect many lives.

June 3, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  10. patrick murphy

Hello Heidi,
    I recently was going to purchase a new truck and trade in my 2005 truck. When all was said and done, including paying off my old truck, the difference was a little over $29,000.
    I thought this was a pretty good deal and I qualified for the 0% interest for three years and the payments should have been a little over $800 a month for 36 months at 0% interest. The best they would offer me was $1036 for 36 months so i thanked them and walked out to my old truck. They evidently did not want to sell vehicles too badly and i did not feel like getting taken.

June 3, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  11. Kema

I would definitely but cars from either of these companies. I'm an American who LOVES to and spend my American dollars in America and buy American made products. I'm in the market now for a car and considered buying used until the Tesla I ordered became available, but with the prices that they are offering these cars now how could I not take advantage!!!

June 3, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  12. susan

"Save by buying what you dont need, but at a lower price!"
    None of their lineup was something I was interested in before.
    A "bargain" price doesnt make something I didnt want before that much better.

[Now, if you give me a Hummer that runs on bio-diesel. That might be another matter. or if I owned my own business, then I might consider one as a business write-off.]

June 3, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  13. Nelson De Leon

Hey Heidi i whent on Memorial day to a GM dealer to buy a Hibird vehicle
    they only you $3,000 Doller rebate that was a magedeal ha ha ha ??on they new vehicle thay star at $51,000 and my new load was $996.00 that is so crezy that is not a deal sorry Heidi they are no deal out there. They are going down. But I got a GM pickup truck I got it a year ago for $46,000 drop $20,000 Doller on the table my load is $23,000 and my car it still up side down can u believe that. Hey dont value they on car. And i say to GM give for my car $10.000 and drop your vehicle 40,000 doller and we make the deal they toll me no go back home. GM is wack sorry I'am happy they are going down ;;.,/"[]];.l;

June 3, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  14. kan chen

WHY NOT!!! I am still looking for one.Dodge Caliber. I am sure there are still deals tangling before their clearing out inventory deadline by June 09. Besides, House and Senate is planning to have the Clunkers for Cash pass pretty soon hopefully today.

Thanks for reading.

Kan

June 3, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  15. Karen

You bet I would. Even though I am a Honda user (because they last, I've been driving it 12 years and the engine is great though the body is finally having trouble keeping up) but the deals going on right now? If I had any money, I'd buy one. It's not like private mechanics will forget how to fix 'em and you have the internet for parts. You can't tell me they can't be maintained. (I doubt they'd last as long as my Honda, but for the prices going, it'd probably even out).

June 3, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  16. RJ

well lets see here if I were in the market for an American made car well theres only one choice and thats FORD! As far as the other two, I would not even look at them simply because the rich fat Coe`s of both companies drove the companies into the ground and now Chrysler is an Italian company and before its all said and done GM will be a Chinese company! So as long as these two compnies are owned by foriegn car compaies I wont even look at them twice! I`ll go buy a Honda or Toyota if I dont buy a FORD because they are more American than GM or Chrysler! BUY a FORD! And if I were an employee or retiree that worked for those two companies I would diffently never buy a GM or Chrysler, not after that screwin!

June 3, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  17. Koko

I have a 12 yr old Ford Windstar with 60,000 miles.(Never gave me an ounce of trouble) I'd love a new Chrysler mini, but just don't know if I can do better with Chrysler or Hyundai.......

June 3, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  18. RJ

hell no not after these ceo`s ran these two into the ground and now they will be owned by a foriegn company! I have one thing to say to anyone who would consider buying a GM or Chrysler, get a life, they are both junk and now they are junk owned by Italy and China! Hows it feel to own a Chinese truck? Ford is the only answer and I hope they show the world how a real American car company makes cars and trucks!

June 3, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  19. RJ

My wife has an Accord made right in marysvill Ohio and it just rolled over 200,000 miles and has never once been in the shop except for pads and rotors and oil changes! When GM or Chrysler can show me they can make a vehicle like Honda can then I might consider but thats a big if! Ford is the only other company I buy from simply for the same reasons as I bought the Honda. The Fords havent been quit as good as the Honda but when I have compared it to people I know who own Chevys and Dodges well theres no comparison and you see why the other two are no more!

June 3, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  20. larry weaver

I figure it all depends on your own personal experiences. I, for instance, have never had any reason not to be perfectly satisfied with my GM products. My last one was a gigantic '96 Olds 98 Regency with every kind of luxury option and a ride like heaven, and I got 28 miles to the gallon. I could easily put 6 Hondas and a Toyota in the trunk too.

June 3, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  21. cjas

Not now. Not for years past! NEVER!!!
    GM screwed me on warenty years ago and I have not forgotten.

June 3, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  22. David

I would because these two companies have a future. Should they go to other countries and manufacture, they still are US companies. Eventually they will open up new product lines in the US as profitability returns and they begin creating new cars again. US automakers have shown themselves to be fertile and inventive when it comes to new designs and configurations. I don't want to lose that, that's company to keep. Don't you think? Also this is how the market is supposed to work, price goes down, demand goes up. Hopefully that gives a boost to the big three and helps turn the economy around, it could be kind of sudden, and gets everyone back to work. That's what I'm looking for. Making things better. It is a different world we"re heading into, but manufacturing plays a part and this country needs to pay attention to that.

I did do the research though and I'd say the Jeep Cherokee that someone got for 17,000 when the sticker price was 27,000 sounds like the best deal. If I had a lot of driving to do in the country I'd get an SUV, the Hummer maybe is a gas guzzler but depends on what you need to do, the Trailblazer seems good to in you need the four wheel drive with the acceleration of a corvette. Jeep sounds like the best deal, though.

Sorry this post goes on so long. Sometimes it gets kind of nasty when talking about the auto industry, but I think the bang for the buck comes in betting on an industry that is a proven leader in design, engineering, and competitiveness. I like foreign cars too, don't get me wrong, but let's face up to the fact that the US auto industry has taken a lot of hits lately and hasn't gotten the praise it has coming due to tough economic times. Anyway my views right now.

June 3, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  23. Shorty

I would be more inclined to buy GM rather then Chrysler. Chrysler has come to the brink so many times, it's a wonder they are still around. I would like to see both companies survive. But I feel GM has a much better chance.

June 3, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  24. warren

no i would not i would buy another hyundai though i want a car thats well made

June 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  25. CaliGuy

Absolutely.....all American!! And it will be the new Chevy Camaro!!!

June 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  26. Zaid Ali

Our president was great with his speech I liked where he told Isreal tostop the building on land that does not belon to them. He also told the Islamic world they to have to get rid of the fundamentalist.

June 4, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  27. Bob Eady

The big 3 will all go the same way as TV, VCR, and so many other products,that couldn't compete with countries that pay very little to workers, with no benifits,then dump the products in North America. Where do we end up ?,with low paying jobs with no benifits !! Changes are needed to import rules.

June 4, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  28. Kamran Phx Az

As and Iranian/ American I take some issue with place of president’s speech because Egypt isn’t the most democratic country in middle east but despite that, I am so proud of our president and his impressing speech reaching out to entire Muslim world, he is sincere and I am sure he will win heart and mind of Muslims and change the image of Islam around the world, he also will isolate terrorism and extremist. He has my full support.

June 4, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  29. ndongo ndiaye

as young muslim who travels a lot i can only say finally...the highlighs of the speech are for me quotes from the coran, the bible and the torah and the second part is how america and the muslim world have one commun threat which is terrorism and extremism

June 4, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  30. J.Mav-FL

I went to a few so-called "historic car sale" events in my local area and these guys are not being realistic about the situation they're in. They are NOT offering any "deals." They jack the prices way up above the MSRP and then apply their so called historic discounts so that the price they offer you is the actual MSRP, but they claim you're paying less than they paid for the car. Nothing has changed. Car Salesmen are still selling snakeoil even as their livelihoods disappear! The simple fact is US cars are overpriced and are junk when compared to imports. Make better quality cars, with better gas mileage, and charge realistic prices, and then maybe they can save themselves.

June 8, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  31. C. Tucker

I will try to buy American, but will never buy a GM or Chrysler now. Ford has earned my business by avoiding a government takeover.

June 17, 2009 at 9:38 pm |
  32. Steve

It is astounding how many people enjoy destroying their own economy. You buy cheaply made inferior quality products produced from countries with little value on human rights.

They think buying cheap is better than buying quality and safety.

There are many cars in this city with stickers that read:
    "Still got a job? Keep buying foreign."

There was a time when people cared more for each other. Now they sacrifice the economy and their neighbours for a couple of bucks saving on a short term gain.

Long term losses hit hard.

And the rhetoric of those who buy inferior imports – trying to save face – as they rust out and sit in repair shops. But that is still better than getting in an accident in one of these vehicles. The life of my family is worth more.

I would not want an import sitting in my driveway, advertising to the whole neighbourhood that I was part of the problem.

September 17, 2009 at 9:13 am |