Today on CNN Newsroom

June 4th, 2009

Thou Shalt Not Come Unarmed

Take the 10 Commandments plus the 2nd Amendment, and what've you got?

Pastor Ken Pagano - who joined Kyra on the phone from Louisville, Kentucky.

1. Linda Finch

It's always the media who has this anti-gun twist on everything.
    Anyone who's anti-gun is anti feminist. They 're interchangeable. Taking the only equalizer a woman can safely fall asleep with away from her, is anti-feminist.

June 5, 2009 at 1:29 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr.

guns and churches this is ok unless there taking there weapons inside the house of god the lords house is for prayer and peace .taking a weapon into the church would be like wearing a hat during services absolute disrespect .so leave your guns in your cars and take your hats off when you enter the lords house lets not loose our respect for god.

June 5, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  3. dan in Tucson

Sure, bring your gun to church. If it gets boring, you can just shoot and liven things up. I can't think of a better place to need protection. We definitely live in a society of paranoid red-necks.

June 5, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  4. Fincho

Unemploment up 9,4%, 345, 000 job lost in may It's not a surprise for you obviously yes now because of your secret of 2007 your recession and republican continue again. Stephen Harper to criticts president Obama he is a protectionism 150 000 job create plan of stimulus of big progress the republican are vote against yesterday in the show of Lou Dobbs he to announce the good news the enterprise made in buy in america now you see the good news for pres, the bad news for you, and the republican and also the preme minister of canada Mr Stephen Harper good speak and good look yesterday to care in Egypt Mr the President

June 5, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  5. Jim Collins

As a former police officer in Pa. I can agree in part with this pastor who tells his congregation to bring their guns to church. As we have seen in the recent past, even a church setting is no deterrent for some people who will shoot to kill even in a church.

What needs to be done is that every law abiding citizen should be asked to take and complete a gun safety course. On completion of this course, he or she should be given a license to carry a concealed weapon. If a perpetrator is not sure whether other people he comes in
    contact with are carrying or not, he will be less likely to try using a gun
    or other weapon for fear of being killed himself/herself.

Carrying a concealed weapon should be an option of course, but I do
    believe that if more people carried weapons,the crime rates would go
    down significently.

June 5, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  6. Gail Lyon

Dear Keira – I watched you present this story yesterday. And while I am aware that CNN commentators frequently editorialize when they present news stories, I felt your personal attitude toward this story about guns in church was over the top. I am not a rabid religious pacifist, but you conveyed the attitude that you thought it was "cute" that this reverend was holding a "bring your gun to church" service. Don't we have enough problems with guns and violence without promoting it as cute? I have always thought that a church was one place where we could at least aspire to the hope of love, peace, and nonviolence. And to make your attitude even more outrageous, you presented this story in between video clips of President Obama talking to a world-wide audience to try o solve its differences without violence. What were you thinking? I am deeply disappointed in your reporting. Gail Lyon, Hood River, Oregon

June 5, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  7. violet

I don't think many people really listened to the reason this church is doing this...to show most gun owners are highly responsible good citizens who know safety rules. It is only a very small percentage of the population who lets others know they have guns, have gun accidents, etc. Most people wouldn't know who owns guns because responsible owners who were trained in safety and responsiblitly do not talk about nor brandish weapons. I applaud this church's actions and I am not even a member of that faith. Everyone keeps harping on the "bad gun owners" and using that to try to take away rights from the greater majority which is just flat wrong.

June 5, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  8. RJ

god forbid we perform abortions on unwanted kids but its ok to tote a bible and a gun on Sunday????? Sounds hypocrytical to me!

June 5, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  9. RJ

Why did we pass the Re-investment act????? We were supposed to hire 5 million new jobs to put America back to work! As I travel across the state of Michigan I see mostly migrant and illegals doing the work! I didnt know it was to stimulate Mexico with our tax dollars, I thought it was to hire legal residents of this country?????

June 5, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  10. RJ

Hey Gail Kyra also promotes Cops of all kinds like as if they do nothing wrong! One of the biggest social issues that we are facing is the rogue cop! Its happening all over this country, two standards, one for us and one for them! Its gotta stop, someone needs to reign law enforcement in and change the way the vast majority views law enforcement! With what they get away with I will not at this time going teach my 2 year old that these are roll models and people he can trust, not until I see change in the way the run things!

June 5, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  11. David Ritchie

Hi:

Just watched your report about the young girl who was brutally raped in Philadelphia and the "man of interest" who was beaten by a mob. Although you certatinly feel for the young girl and her family, I find the report disturbing that a mob of people are being hailed as heroes for beating up a person who, while certainly no angel, has not been proven to be guilty of this crime. A "person of interest" is not a convicted felon, regardless of his past. CNN's report basically proclaims the man guilty, in fact, he was referred to as a "piece of trash" by your host, Keara Phillips. I just find it hard to believe the cavalier attitude towards the rule of law. You hear of horror stories from mob hits where people have been taken away and beaten to a pulp for actions in some cases unproven. This person could very well be guilty of raping this young girl, and he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but please, let's not condone the unruly behaviour of a group of people who have no way of knowing for sure if this man is guilty or not.

David Ritchie
    Fredericton
    New Brunswick
    Canada

June 5, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  12. Charlie Erickson

A pistol packin' Padre and his armed congregation. Hmmmmm.....................Haven't we heard this story before?

No one really knows which way this whole thing will go, but if anyone sees a new structure go up anytime soon, We might begin attaching the word cult to them.

Charlie.

June 5, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  13. David

Linda Finch June 5th, 2009 1:29 am ET said :
    "It’s always the media who has this anti-gun twist on everything.
    Anyone who’s anti-gun is anti feminist. They ‘re interchangeable. Taking the only equalizer a woman can safely fall asleep with away from her, is anti-feminist."

Linda you shouldn't be falling asleep in church!! You should be sitting up listening to the pastor telling you about the role of women in Christian life. Actually to come to think of it, maybe a good feminist should carry a gun into church.

June 5, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  14. Christie Abraham

You're the best Kyra! I watch you every weekday as I am one of the unemployed (3 months). I've got one to top your church story. I saw it yesterday, don't remember where, that they have church services at an old drive-in theatre. The members actually beep their horns at certain times. Wow, if that don't beat all. Be well!

June 8, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  15. Paul

Great story. Great interview.

Violet has it correctly. There was nothing in this story that was offensive. Perhaps if more good and "respectfull" folks followed the Pastor's lead, there would have been three less church killings this year. I vote for the premise that an armed society is a polite society.

June 8, 2009 at 4:29 pm |