Today on CNN Newsroom

June 6th, 2009

Remembering D-Day and the "Greatest Generation"

We can never do enough to repay the "Greatest Generation." The humble heroes who answered the called of duty and fought bravely in World War II.

Today, the anniversary of D-Day is a reminder of their great sacrifice and glory.

Here are some highlights from the beaches of Normandy 65 years later.

So if you see a Veteran, thank them! If you know one, feel free to write a tribute here.

Filed under: Anchors • Fredricka Whitfield
  1. Matt Davison

I was 6 years old on D-Day, but I clearly remember the bond drives, victory parades, and soldiers marching in front of my house in the darkness of the early morning. As a child, these men were my greatest heroes. Today, 65 years after D-Day, they still are.

June 6, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  2. Mary

I am grateful and proud to have such an intelligent and charasmatic President speaking to the International Community on behalf of our Country.

June 6, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  3. Sylvia

I have a dear friend whose grandfather landed on the beach at Normandy. I spoke to her this morning and we both expressed our appreciation for all the troops and her grandfather. I sent him my greetings. He's 91 years old.
    We both also remarked how happy we are to have Barack Obama as our president. He makes us so proud.

June 6, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  4. Collyn Mosquito

Absolutely remarkable. I am grateful for those veterans who have sacrificed there lives for this country and the freedom of other people around the world. I definitely loved his speech.

June 6, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  5. Mohan Arthanari

I am glad we have a President who is intelligent and compassionate enough to understand the range of issues he has to deal with whether while giving the speech at Cairo University or in Germany or on D-Day. It's really great. May God bless Obama and God bless America.

June 6, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  6. Gordon Jones

65 years ago today, the beaches and villages of Normandy became the staging ground for the greatest military invasion ever mounted. It was also considered the most crucial 24 hours of World War II and the beginning of the liberation of the world from the heel of Nazi ism. I have had the good fortune and honor to walk through the now peaceful and beautifully landscaped setting atop the cliffs of Omaha Beach at Colleville-sur-Mer France. And yet the true irony to this gorgeous setting lies right before your eyes. The 9286 white marble crosses that mark the enormous scale of sacrifice by those who will forever remain in their early twenties. For this we should all be deeply grateful. A quote I observed on a monument says it all. "For your tomorrow, we gave our today." "Above all, N'oubliez pas." (Never forget).

June 6, 2009 at 6:53 pm |
  7. ft

I would like to express my gratitude for the great sacrifices made by your dad and all the other servicemen and women on that day in June 1944 and indeed throughout the war. So many loved ones hurt by the unpredictable circumstances and horrors of war, but for such a praiseworthy goal : FREEDOM. Freedom, not only for the greatest generation, which they were, but for ALL GENERATIONS!!! Thank you, veterans, from the bottom of our hearts...

June 7, 2009 at 12:12 pm |