Today on CNN Newsroom

June 6th, 2009

This morning in the CNN Newsroom...

President Barack Obama and the first family are in France for observances marking the 65th anniversary of D-Day. We'll have live coverage from Normandy.

In Washingaton D.C., more than 50,000 runners are getting ready for The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It's one of more than 100 races across the country every year to raise awareness and money for breast cancer research. We'll talk with the organization's founder, and Susan Komen's sister Nancy Brinker, a 25-year breast cancer survivor.

And is the assessed value of your home soaring higher than its current market value? If it is, you're not alone. A lot of folks are finding themselves in that bind these days. We'll show you ways you can lower your property taxes.

Join TJ Holmes, Betty Nguyen and Reynolds Wolf in the CNN Newsroom beginning 6am ET/3am PT.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Kathryn

My father, now 88, served on the US flagship, USS Tuscaloosa, in the Channel as a radio jammer. Unknowing at the time, my future father-in-law was being deployed to the beaches of Normandy. So they were there together. Upon meeting they had stories to tell.

June 6, 2009 at 6:29 am |
  2. Shalonda Askew

Good Morning All,

This D-Day rememberance is going to be one of the lasts ones that WWII veterans are going to participate in due to the age of the Veterans. Remember Freedom is not Free and always remember to thank a Veteran..
    Freedom Team Salute is a Secretary of the Army and Chief of Staff of the Army program launched in May 2005.
    The program recognizes U.S. Army Veterans and the Parents, Spouses and Employers of U.S. Army Soldiers. The program also recognizes those Special Supporters who have significantly contributed to supporting U.S. Army Soldiers and the Army’s Mission.

June 6, 2009 at 6:47 am |
  3. Lee Fowler

Just wanted to write in respect to 1st dgt Ealr Norwood hs from Morehead City NC, He is our towns hero he was seventeen on dday and went in driving a landing craft. He is in Normandy as a guest of the Fr ench Govt. And was invited to be part of Pres Obamas entourages and his new wife who is twenty years his younger hes the man. H e is also a veterean of the Korean War and Vietnam. He is a son of North carolina and he is one of our most beloved.

June 6, 2009 at 8:31 am |
  4. Nancy Nolda

As we think about and honor our fathers who participated in the great military campagian on June 6, 1945 another important military action was taking place in Italy. The Allies were entering Rome after months and months of pitch battle against the Germans. Frequently Americans believe that Normandy was the intial invasion of Europe, however, the Allies had been in Italy for months slugging their way through horrors of battle. These men are heros as well, and their efforts at securing the Euopean theater are overlooked even though they were engaging the enemy in Europe long before June 6, 1945. As our heros were storming the beaches in France we were also marching through the streets of Rome.

June 6, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  5. James

I am watching your cover of the 65th DDay Anniversary and am sorry to see that the playing of the United States National Anthem was cut out. I feel this unfortunate on this day and at that sacred location in Normandy. Besides that, great coverage!

June 6, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  6. Raila

I am much more interersted in what is going on at the American Cemetary than in ED ads. We do our brave veterans an injustice by not showing the ceremonies. These men risked life and limb to free Europe from the tyranny of Nazism. Show some respect!

June 6, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  7. McCoy Fidel-Ndubisi

I am an 18year old boy who to my peers shouldnt care about these happenings,but when i read my novels,watch my movies and see these veterans everyday,i realise that D-day was a day when not only was the Nazis challenged but a day when young men,boys,some my age stood up to defend the countries they individually loved by risking their lives..I might not know any of these people but i sure know that they are not just appreciated but treasured in our very hearts including myself..May the souls of the departed rest in peace..

June 6, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  8. Bonita

My father, who is deceased, was able to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of D-Day in France, with my son. It was always a very emotional topic for him, he cried any time he spoke of that day. He was only 17 at the time, and could not swim, but somehow survived. I wish he could have been there for this special day.

June 6, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  9. Mary Ann Sheasley

My father, Francis Ruffley, was on the beaches of Normandy as a member of the US Army, 1st Infantry Division, K Company. He is no longer here with us, but he is my hero. The bravery of him and all the WWII veterans should never be forgotten. He received numerous medals which include the Purple Heart with three oak leaf clusters and the Bronze Star. I always was proud to be his daughter and he will never be forgotten with the grandchildren who never knew him. They know what a terrific man their grandfather was.

June 6, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  10. Del "Abe" Jones

“The Longest Day”
    June 6, 1944

On those shores of Normandy
    Those sixty-five years ago
    There was an amphibious landing
    The largest, this World would know.

Many thousands stormed those beaches
    Although many, never reached the land
    Washed upon, foreign sands by waves
    Where, all those Heroes took their stand.

Named, Omaha, Sword and Juno
    Gold and Utah, where they died
    It was our foothold there in Europe
    Which would not, could not, be denied.

To liberate those Countries occupied
    By that terrible, Nazi war machine
    Where People sought their Freedom
    From the tyranny they had seen.

It made Hitler change his plans
    To invade the English countryside
    There’s no doubt it dashed his hopes
    To, spread his rule, worldwide.

It began the march through France
    Towards the Battle of Berlin
    To the end of such an evilness
    We hope, to never see again.

Today we Honor those who Served
    All those dead and those alive
    Although their numbers are dwindling
    Our memories of them, will survive.

Four hundred twenty-five thousand souls
    Both sides lost, before it was all done
    In the Battle of Normandy
    That began, that day, the “longest” one.

Del “Abe” Jones
    06.06.2009

June 6, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  11. Mary Samson

I have really enjoyed your coverage...although we lost power so did not see the ceremony. I pay tribute to my Uncle Leo Beauchamp who was a driver of an LST on Omaha Beach. Anytime he spoke it was with so much sadness. Because of enemy fire he could not get in as close to the beach as he wanted. Healways suffered from what we now call "survivor guilt". He was over 6' and most soldiers under 6' died. It always briought him much sadness. He made a little niece very proud even when he stepped on my little foot with his GI shoe!

June 6, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  12. Marion T. Hill

Thank you for your superior coverage of the D-Day Memorial. We enjoyed the presentation immensely. As usual, President

Barack Obama added to America's great World War II legacy. Though he wasn't born at the time, his speech illustrates his respect and command of history.

June 6, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  13. Thomas Holst

Your coverage of this solemn day in history is greatly appreciated, particularly by those of us with family ties to that event. However, the sight of Obama casually walking through a Normandy cemetery, 'paying his respects', just turns my stomach. A man who has never worn the uniform of the US Armed Forces has no business being Commander in Chief and cannot possibly comprehend the commitment of putting his life on the line. He should be on his knees, begging forgiveness.

Thomas Holst
    USMC/Viet Nam Vet

June 6, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  14. Phyllis Cavalieri

I only want to correct a statement regarding the concentration camp units of the 89th Infantry Division liberated during WWII:

It was stated that President Obama's great uncle was involved in the liberation of Buchenwald, but the camp the 89th liberated was the Ohrdruf facility.

The reason I know this is because my husband Ralph Cavalieri and several of his battalion, of which Mr. Paine was also a part were there at the liberation of Ohrdruf, not Buchenwald. Another part of the 3rd Army liberated Buchenwald.

This is not a criticism, but a clarifying correction.

It is a great service you are doing for our country with the reporting of the D-Day commeration. Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Phyllis Cavalieri

June 6, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  15. Larry R, Garrett

My dad was a veteran of Utah beach, D Day. He fought forward and was one of the first to the Buckenwald concentration camp. I am searching for living vet who made it to the Buchenwald camp. He may help me verify some historical info for me.

June 7, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  16. Kathy Vernon

Early on, Obama stated that the masses ought to be able to have access to the same healthcare system as the senators and politicians. What happened? I'm sure they're getting a sweeet deal. What are they paying??? And how can we, the public, get in on it????

June 10, 2009 at 11:23 am |