Today on CNN Newsroom

June 8th, 2009

Looking for a Job?

Have you got that college degree, but no job to go with it?

You're not alone.

The National Association of Colleges and Employers says fewer than 20 percent of this year's grads had a job waiting for them when they were handed the sheepskin.

If you're a new grad, or soon to be one, CNN Personal Finance Editor Gerri Willis has this advice:

First, stay active.Use your college alumni office.

Find out if there are professional organizations you can join.

If you have time, consider volunteer work or an internship in your field.

You may also need to hone your expectations.

Don’t expect to land a six-figure job right away.

And be prepared to look for work outside your field.

Many job recruiters use the Internet for find job seekers, so promote yourself online.

Have an online resume and an appealing social network profile – and remove any embarrassing or non-professional photos.

For more ideas, check out these Web sites:

Snagajob.com

Teens4hire.com

Sba.gov

Visit Gerri Willis' website at Your Bottom Line

Filed under: Gerri Willis • Tony Harris
  1. dan in Tucson

Ok there college grads. Lets be good little soldiers and start your life in debt as corporate slaves. Sorry to shock you, but my purpose to this statement is to show the state of our people and that one needs to start early in preventing what has brought our country to its knees by not allowing yourselves to get trapped into the debt cycle. If you're in debt, you are a slave to society which brings on the burdens later in life. Earn the money first for your possessions. You will cherish them much more.

June 8, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  2. RJ

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

June 8, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  3. SGT. Nazario S. Navarro

THERE IS NO WAY TO DEFUSE THE SITUATION IN NORTH KOREA WE NEED TO START TRAINING UP AND GET OUR TROOPS IN SOUTH KOREA AND IN CHINA STAGE FOR A WAR AN GET OUR GILRS BACK IM READY AND WILLING TO FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT I DIDNT JOIN THE MILITARY JUST TO SAY I DID IT I JOINED TO FIGHT FOR FREEDOM AND TO PROTECT DEMOCRACY AND THE WAR IN IRAQ WAS NECESSARY WE HAD TO FIGHT THEM THERE OR ELSE IT WOULD HAVE HAD TO FIGHT HERE

June 8, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  4. Mac's Meanderings

I am always amazed by all the experts on our economy actually being surprised by the economic disaster engulfing middle income Americans. With Washington's encouragement, and in many cases, active assistance, our manufacturing economy has been moved out of the country. It in my mind, started with textile and the shoe industries, than manufacturing and electronics. Now these experts seem surprised by those earning less than half of what had been normal not buying auto's, homes and other expensive items without the lowering of standards of income needed to get loans. This they gave, and seem even more surprised when these working poor cannot pay for said needs. They seem surprised that the tax base has lowered, causing the need to cut back on what is really basic social services. All the while arguing that this new plan they put in place called "globalization" is helping the poor (and indeed it is in China). We are listening to the "need" to cut Medicaid, Social Security, school aid and collage aid, cut police and fire departments, raise taxes as previously mentioned, the actual tax base incomes have lowered. Washington has and is tacitly allowing the flooding of the midwest and large cities with illegal workers, and only go after employers for "abuse of illegal workers", not for hiring them (which of course cut the wage base, and tax base the country needs). The main argument for the sending our good paying work, manufacturing, overseas is the cut in price of the finished products imported from these transplanted industries. Well, I have seen the inexpensive shoes flood in, and I have bought them. Only to see that when I and others so happy to save a bit, ended up in assisting the end of our shoe industry, the prices dramatically increased. This has been true in all of our lost product production companies. As our wages have dropped 50 or 60+%, the fact the items we now purchase are 25% or so less than when we made them, really is not much help to the passing middle class. Poor nations are not able to assist the needy, we were the largest benefactor country in the world, at this rate of decline, we will be looking to China for aid, oh wait, we already are. To put the future of our nation, and indeed the world into the hands of a capitalist dictatorship and military powerhouse we have are continuing to create is insane. I want my government to look to the needs of the American people, The United Nations to look to those of the world. Alas, the Una-United Nations seems to look after the needs of the people populating the United Nations offices, and we are trying to look after the world. It is a onetime thing, we can give our ancestors work to the world, rob our own children and all future decendents of one of the greatest experiments in creativity and wealth the world has ever seen, and join the poor we once assisted. I fear we are taking this nation from "E Pluribus Unum" to "E Pluribus Pluribus". Regionalism and dissolution. I pray to the powers that be this nations middle class will rise up and say "enough", and hope it is not too late to restore our economic health.

June 8, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  5. dre

I can't believe this actor that am a fan of, is actually talking down Obama. Is the republican party that scared of Obama that they had to get an actor to stir things up. Thats not cool. Alot of people isn't going to like this. and i am one of them.

June 9, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  6. Dodie - Irvine, California

The situation is so bad in California, I will have 400+ more co-workers out of a job. I should be OK even though the area I work for in a government agency will close, While the top executives in the county will be receiving over $4.4 million in perks along with re-decorating the board of supervisor's lobby at $300,000. This just makes NO sense. We are turning into a 2 class system just like the 3rd world!

It appears that everyone that has any clout or in a position to grab as much money as they can get their hands on including top government officials, all large corporations, Wall Street, The banks and of course, the hedge funds managers with obscene salaries in excess of one billion dollars a year! The rest of us continue to slip away. The middle class is losing this battle. We will be extinct within a couple of years at this rate.

June 9, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  7. tom

WOW I haven's had a job in over a year now the fact that I have no college education shouldn't be an issue it is the fact that we the taxpayers once again bailed out big banks and big business while we still have no job's ! Great work Obama ! Yes surround your self with CEO's and wall street suckers that tell you to give taxpayers money to them BAIL them OUT FAST ! And just what have WE the American workers really gotten for the trillions and trillions of tax dollars ? More home foreclosures more lost jobs and more pain and suffering ! Great job Savior Obama great job indeed !

June 11, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  8. Christline Remy

I am a recent graduate with a Masters of Arts degree and only a few years of experience and I have not been able to land a job. I am apart of that 20%, yet another statistic. Even still EVERYDAY I wake up knowing that something is going to turn around! I get on the internet and apply to ALL jobs I qualify for within my field but also volunteer opportunities, internships, and even jobs outside my field to build my professional skills that relate in some fashion to my field of interest.

Unlike most others in search of jobs I am open to any and all locations. If you are living in an area with a poor economy, especially for your job field, move to an area that has job openings in your field. If we were President there is no way in knowing if we would handle the bailouts and other taxing issues differently. Most states are receiving money to provide more jobs. We are NOT going to fully agree with our President but it is what it is and he is doing what he feels is best for us.

I thank you for the advice and will remain positive!

October 29, 2009 at 1:46 pm |