Today on CNN Newsroom

June 13th, 2009

This Morning in the CNN Newsroom...

Iran Votes: Will fiercely conservative President Ahmadinejad stay in power? We'll have a live report from CNN Chief International Correspondent Christiane Amanpour in Tehran.

"Proud Nuclear Power:" Tough words from North Korea as the U.N. expands sanctions against the communist country for its latest nuclear test.

House Swapping: So, you want to move, but can't sell your home in the current market? TJ Holmes finds out how you can swap a mortgage with someone else in the same position.

Join Betty Nguyen, TJ Holmes and Reynolds Wolf in the CNN Newsroom, beginning 6am ET/3am PT.

Filed under: Reynolds Wolf
  1. Scott Stodden

Iam so disappointed with the elections in Iran, even if the elections are fair and not rigged its so sad that President Ahmadinejad has won another term as President. President Ahmadinejad has done nothing but tear down the economy of Iran, unemployment is at an all time, the economy over there is in such poor shape, what has he done for Iran? This man is hateful and a terroist his own self who said he would wipe Israel off the face of the earth. Who would vote for someone like this with the thinking President Ahmadinejad has, as long as he's in charge of Iran you can bet the Iranian goverment will not prosper, things will not change, and relations between the United States and Iran will continue to dwindle, President Ahmadinejad is an evil person and leader of his country.

Scott Stodden (Freeport, IL)

June 13, 2009 at 6:58 am |
  2. Eva Speller

I woke up this morning with T.J Holmes on my television talking about the pay for teachers in the United States. Well I am just about filled up with that statement pay for teachers. And when someone say pay raise for the teachers, that is what the county board of education mean for the teacher or if the state give extra money for the teacher assistant I have seen the board reclassify the teacher assistant to save that money for another place. What about the other workers in the school system. I was a teacher assistant for 13 years and I never heard people talk about the teacher assistant that have to be at school at 7:00AM in the morning to get the rooms ready for the school while the teachers don't even dart the door until 7:45 or 8:00, the lunch room staff that have to be at work by 6:30AM to have breakfast ready or the people that clean the building by 6:00AM, to have the bathrooms clean, the gym floors clean and shinning, the hall ways shinning, what about these people. When I was a teacher assistant I brought home sometimes $1200.00 per month or I would have to drive a school bus to try to make extra money and I heard one teacher say well if you want to make more money then you need to go to school well as a teacher assistant we had to go to school, we had to take class and was told by the superintendent that there would be no more money for us, but we just wouldn't be fired for not taking the classes. I worked in pre-k and I would have to be there before the teacher to get the room ready for the children, while the teacher come in at 7:45AM. All durning the day the teachers are out in the hall ways from room to room talking about other employees and even about other children and their parents. While the teacher assistant have to run the room. Or lots of time they are on the computer or the cell phone. Until you have been in a class room you don't know what goes on in there and how hard the teacher assistant have to work for less that 1/4 of the teacher's pay when in fact the teacher assistant is doing most of the work. I'm not saying that all of the teachers are bad but I know that 75% of them don't care about the children in the class room or about the other workers at the school, some of them think that they are better than God. I know first hand that I had a bad teacher in the class room where I worked. They don't know how to talk to the students or to the teacher assistant, I went through this for 13 years until I said I have had enough. So all teachers don't deserve more money they don't even deserve what they get. So please why not say some good things about the other staff at the school's I know that they would really appreciate some praise once in a while, you know that we are human too.

June 13, 2009 at 7:54 am |
  3. Eva Speller

Thank you because I think everyone should know that there are more than just teachers at schools

June 13, 2009 at 7:55 am |
  4. warren

i think that if north korea wants nuclear power we should send them some of ours, till they glow

June 13, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  5. michael armstrong sr.

north korea is sucsesfully building weapons of mass destruction with clear intentions of using them on us and surrounding countries and all were doing is sitting on our hands with only threats of sanctions now how stupid is that what we need to do is kick there butts before they finish building such weapons .

June 13, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  6. gwazdos

I am sooooo sick and tired to have you people give Gov. Palin air time. This woman has yet to return the ($185,000.in clothing that she was given during the campaign of which she clearly demonstrated how small her brain was, the only thing that except the men on the Right is her sexual look. Ask this Gov. about when she is going to turn the clothing over to charity as she promised, ask her about the financial mess she has in Alaska and the polution mess with toxic materials. Please end this story – there has to be some REAL news somewhere in the world that you could cover that has real content!

June 13, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  7. Joe in Daytona Beach

Lots of face time on the President taking his wife on a date and the required Secret Service rules.

Exactly who paid for Bush # 41's parachute jump? It looked like a US Air Force plane and staff helping an 85 year old jump from a plane. What did that cost compared to the "date"?

June 13, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  8. Tom Harper

The first thing I would do if I was the President is call the President of South Korea and offer to place intermediate range tactical nuclear missiles on their soil. If he balks I would stress to him that that neither our forces or his forces on the ground could cope with a surprise attack. So unless they think that we're likely to try another Inchon invasion he had best reconsider. I would place the missiles in the south well out of range of a surprise attack. Then if the South Korean President cooperates I would call the Chinese Prime Minister and explain to him that we will place nuclear missiles in South Korea for defense against a surprise North Korean attack and pledge a no-first-strike with them against China. I would also implore the Chinese Prime Minister to use his influence with the North Korean's not to heighten tensions further and explain that we are prepared for bi-lateral talks. Then I would tell my commanders to move the threat level to DEFCON 2.

June 13, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  9. Ruth Wilkinson

David Letterman's comment was the furthest thing from a joke. Why is it when a girl gets pregnant she is the one that gets the nasty comments directed at her. What about the guy that got her that way? In case Letterman has forgotten, it takes 2. Also, how would Letterman like it if someone made a nasty comment about his girl or child that he 'knocked up?'

June 13, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  10. Regina

I was forced to quit my job after being diagnosed with an auto-immune disease. Now 46 yrs. of age I am relying on medicare and medicaid for prescriptions and medical expenses. I would also like to add that I was a nurse, so I have been on both sides of the healthcare reform issue. It frightens me to think there will be more cutbacks on prescriptions and diagnostic procedures. It is already difficult to get simple diagnostic tests due to cost. One more thing I would like to point out is the amount of fraud in the medicare and medicaid systems not only by Doctors but by people who are perfectly able to work but commit fraud and use funds that others could be utilizing. Maybe this would be the best place to start looking for waste. I hope President Obama takes a long hard look at this before making any decisions. I personally am scared for my health.
    Thank you, you have the best news team bar none!

June 13, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  11. Rudy

Obama's Night Out

Your Anchors and Co-anchors need to be more like Simon. Not nice.

[1] Obama did not creat this multi-trillion mess.
    This was entirely George Bush's legacy, and inheritance he left to all us Americans.Clinton left G.W. in the green.
    I would have asked those who founded Obama's expenditures excessive.
    How did we really get into this financial mess? When did you first become concerned? Did you object to the war. If not then you are equally responsible for this debt.
    What is the war costing us in dollars, lives, broken families, bodies, and minds?
    Why was G.W.'s policy based on more privatiseing institutions and less governmen oversight.
    If he can't address these issues you are iagain nterviewing just another jerk. Call me at least I have common semse.
    No Need to say I was not impressed with the debate nor those monitoring.

Rudy

June 13, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  12. RJ

I dont care what anyone says, Israel is the problem in the Middle East! When this country realizes this and changes foriegn policy that treats all parties the same! I know we support Israel mainly because of the Jewish Holocaust but the problem I have with that is people all around the world have been slaughtered in far greater numbers than the Jewish Holocaust. Why do we only recognize the Jewish Holocaust?? We have to see things for what they are not what we want them to be if we are ever going to succeed in foriegn policy matters!

June 13, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  13. sam ingram

It is unfortunate that they may have re-elected their President. But as Americans, we cannot throw stones. We did after all give Bush 43 a second term.

June 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  14. Majid Azartash

I along with millions are disappointed to see these results. I just traveled throughout Iran & did not even meet one person who supported Ahmadinejad. I know many people in U.S. & Iran who voted for Mousavi in support of reforms. There is no doubt that this election was fixed just like the previous ones.

June 13, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  15. Tarrence Humes

Amadenijad has just been re-elcted as president of Iran. We should accept that and stop trying to demonized and shape the American people faults about this foreign leader. We just had two questionable elections here in the USA. When Amadenijad spoke at Columbia University he said "We America and Iran should talk". He wrote president Obama a letter as he did president Bush. The american people has no idea what those letters said. Benjamin Franklin said in a demcracy "we the people must be given all the news no matter so we the people decide what our actions should be". Tarrance Please respond

June 13, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  16. Andrew Gram

In other countries, in order to sway an election, they stuff the ballot box.

Here in America, they stuff the media.

June 13, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  17. RJ

So the O` Government controls a commodity (tobacco)that fewer than half the population uses and oil goes unregulated????? Somehow that doesnt seem right, get big oil to pay for O`s giveaways, now that sounds fair seeings how they make the most money!

June 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |