Today on CNN Newsroom

June 15th, 2009

"The Insider" & "The Man Without a Face"

As Congress sent that historic tobacco bill to President Obama to sign, Kyra looked at some of the ways cigarette companies have tried to hook us through the years. From there, she talked to Jeffrey Wigand and Rick Bender, two men changed by tobacco - in two very different ways.

1. ROSIE MURPHY

I smoked for too many years, started at 16. started with Pall Mall and then switched to Salem because it was menthylated ...in the movies everyone had a cigarette in their hand and it looked cool, they even came up with the "french inhale" which was having the smoke exhaled slowly through the mouth and inhaled through the nose! When you're pre-teen or a teenager or even in your 20' & 30's you probably thought like me....smoking won't harm me.......WRONG!!!!!! I am 74 yrs old living with 1 lung (due to cancer) which is not healthy. I stopped smoking about 20 yrs. ago but that wasn't soon enough...........I can't do so many of the things I loved to do, if I had known then what I know now I would never have started...If you want to stop try this...I did it cold turkey....
    Smoke a few puffs on your cigarette then put it out carefully, suck on a few lollypops for the rest of the day....next day light the same cigarette
    take a puff or two and put it out,,,,,,,do this for a total of 3 days and then
    get gum, lolly pops and keep the sticks, then if you get the urge, chew gum lick a lolly pop or pick up one of the sticks and go through the motions of smoking. Good Luck, it worked for me

June 16, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  2. ROSIE MURPHY

I smoked for too many years, started at 16. When you're pre-teen or a teenager or even in your 20' & 30's you probably thought like me....smoking won't harm me.......WRONG!!!!!! I am 74 yrs old living with 1 lung (due to cancer) which is not healthy. I stopped smoking about 20 yrs.....I can't do so many of the things I loved to do, if I had known then what I know now I would never have started...If you want to stop try this...I did it cold turkey....
    take a puff or two and put it out,,,,,,,do this for a total of 3 days and then

June 16, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  3. ROSIE MURPHY

I smoked for too many years, started at 16. When you're pre-teen or a teenager or even in your 20' & 30's you probably thought like me....smoking won't harm me.......WRONG!!!!!! I am 74 yrs old living with 1 lung (due to cancer) which is not healthy. I stopped smoking about 20yrs.....I can't do so many of the things I loved to do, if I had known then what I know now I would never have started..too late for me, not for you.

June 16, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  4. sheila in miami

My mom was addicted most of her life. She quit when the cancer, everywhere but her lungs, could no longer pick up a butt or work a lighter. She died a few days later, with the added stress of not smoking at that point. It was not pretty. But she does not smoke anymore, death can put a real crimp in one's smoking habit.

But there are other health issues to deal with too.

June 16, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  5. Jesse Hamric

Well that is all fine and dandy Rosie but things are not how they were back then. People now know all the risks about ciggerettes. From an early age it is literlly thrusted in your brain that smoking kills.

Some people, like myself, enjoy somoking and decide that the pleaure we get from smoking outweighs the risk.

I should not have to pay higher taxes because ciggarettes are dangerous.

Know what? So is McDonalds. Take the many overweight people that die from obesity from places like McDonalds, then compare to the average age people die from smoking. Guess what? People would die earlier from McDonalds.

So are we going to start putting a fat tax on dangerous foods?

Exactly. Then why do it on ciggerettes?

I supported Obama and the Democrats but this really angers me. I enjoy smoking flavored ciggarettes. I am of age and have even been in the military how dare they tell companies what kinds of Cigarettes they are allowed to make.

They still think people smoke because they are ignorant and don't know the risks. WRONG! We all know the risk we just don't care because young people never care about when they are old. You can say that is an ignorant view and you may be right but you thought the same way when you were young, and I guarentee if you were 20 years old today you would still start smoking.

June 16, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  6. Scott Conn

I have been receiving care at the VA for 15 years and I find the healthcare to be first class. Very professional staff and advanced care in all aspects.

June 16, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  7. Tom Harper

I wish people didn't smoke. My father died of lung cancer. But I believe that he understood the risks. However, since some people like to smoke and many are addicted to it why don't we tax it some more. The whole issue reminds me of a story in the local paper that gun sales are still up. Although, at a lower rate than previously. Smokes sell, booze sells, and guns sell. Let's just don't let the Golden Goose smoke. She might get lung cancer.

June 16, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  8. Charla

I am a Vet who use the VA System of health care very often. I am also a person who would not have health care if it were not for the VA. I am a huge cheerleader of the system! I have had other health insurance and quarks and all; I would choose the VA.

June 16, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  9. toto

I'm sorry I think than the portrait controversy it's you and the republican conservative who are crush this country and the others country with your recession pandemic disastrous

June 16, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  10. talaloli

People american now you have the same healthcare than the canada Public healthcare for more information on your public healthcare you go on the site white house . gov again you go on the site white house .gov because certain media it's not give you of best informetion he's support the republican who are against the public healthcare also certain (AMA) american medical association are against public healthcare also why certain media on cnn are focus on the brother of president Obama to Kenya with the book deal I'm sorry the president Obama he's was not the president of people of Kenyan but rather the president of people american in U.S.A. you listen people american the primer minister of British ask of to open a inquiry on the war in Iraq also the government republican does nothing for the crise the last years you see gas prices up job lost every day the foreclosure up for Iran not just U. S. A. but all the others leader in the would and include U.N.ok

June 16, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  11. Che

Unfortunately, there is no easy way of doing this!The best thing is to approach them and make frnides with them and then, explain to them that the smoke is coming into your apartment, and distracting you and making you cough! Or, explain that you have guests that have asthma and that your smoking is bothering them and you! (Though, I doubt that it will work, even if they are reasonable people, because they think slow suicide is ok! But, personally, when some one takes that up, I think they should get a note signed from everyone they know,friends and family that it wont bother them to see them on lung machines and breathing tubes, when they get older, as thier lungs deterriorate and thier love ones and family have to witness them dying like this!!!).They will think you are trying to infringe on thier rights to smoke..(commit slow suicide in my opinion). If they are Christians, remind them that they are destroying GOD's Temple! You are to do nothing to desecrate the living temple of the LORD!If not, then direct a fan towards them, and when you smell the smoke, TURN IT ON!!This will be the biggest hint , if they refuse to do anything about thier smoking. Obviously second hand smoke DOES KILL, and the proof is in! I dont even let my kids go around anyone that smokes, because of that! And, with my asthma, its even more terrible to have to suffer through.I wish you well..Jesse

October 30, 2012 at 7:13 pm |