Today on CNN Newsroom

June 21st, 2009

Ahead in the CNN Newsroom...

Tehran braces for another day of bloodshed.

Massive crowds have been protesting what they contend are fraudulent election results favoring hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

The extent of deaths or injuries remains unclear.

With international journalists restricted from covering events in the capital, Iranians are using cell phones and social networking sites to get news out.

Join Betty Nguyen and TJ Holmes for CNN's expanded coverage of the events in Iran, starting at 5am ET/2am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Sandy

Thank you, Fareed, for this program. Its complicated for many who have not followed Iranian history and rule and this program is helping me form a picture in image and heart.

It feels to me this is really more about the infrastructure and Supreme rule and that this Ayatollah's reign is very much different than the previous reign who ruled more for the civil rights and heart of the people, am I wrong and forgive me if I am. Also, is it true that the current Ayatollah sort of "fixed" and "molded" his place as the current Ayatollah and his authenticity is questionable? Please explain for I believed it speaks loudly about the heart of many.

It is obvious now that President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has lost the respect of people around the world yet somehow, I don't believe he is the root of the problem, I think it is the infrastructure of the current Ayatollah...am I wrong? Please educate me as quickly as you can.

My heart is with the brave people of this country.

June 21, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  2. Dan Leahy

Why does CNN keep airing the criticisms of the Republican lawmakers who would criticize Obama if they didn't like what he had for breakfast? They, and assorted lunatic neocons are the ONLY people unsatisfied with Obama's approach to the Iran situation. EVERY expert on Iran and EVERY credible diplomat from Brezshinsky to Kissinger has said unequivocally that Obama is handling it just right. Yet CNN insists on portraying the criticism as if it had equal validity. At least you could mention that it's just politics. What is wrong with you people?

June 21, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  3. Donald Brown

Why are you not showing activities outside the city ot Tehran. I would think that it would be easier to get information from the countryside where government control is not as concentrated. Knowing that the unrest is more widespread would reinforce the message coming out of the capitol.

June 21, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  4. william batson

The people of Iran are asking for our help, where is obama?

June 21, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  5. Brien

It seems nobody is mentioning that ahmadinejhad made trip to russia to meet with president of russia next morning after election as a president of Iran, these kind of high level meeting dose not set up over night, it had to be set up head of time, how they knew he is going to be president to set up this meeting, it shows everything was set up from begining. good lock all democratic people.

June 21, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  6. Iranian Girl who lives in New York

Ahmadinejad is over...khameni is over...when a government kills his own innocent people...that is government that should not be recognized by other governments around the world. As an Iranian who lived in Tehran for a long time and goes back all the time. I will tell you what you see on these videos are mostly true. I am so proud and pray for all of them.

June 21, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  7. siamack

you were beautiful, you would have made a man the happiest man in the world now you've made a whole nation the saddest nation on earth ...... I hail your courage and martyrdom, I mourn your innocence and purity and I praise your enshrined and celestial beauty my lady

June 21, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  8. Arash

Everyone out there on the streets of Iran protesting are true heroes and they are the voice of justice. These heroes are standing up against monsters with guns mean while only equipped with their hands and hope. I have never been as proud as I am right now to be Persian. I love every person out there standing up to this regime that has held our country hostage for over 30 years. If anybody in Iran can read this know that we are all thinking of you and love all of my brother and sisters. I feel helpless out here in America and wish there is something that I could do to help. Can someone please provide a way that we can help our brothers and sisters in this time of need.

June 21, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  9. dw pullinger

keep may 4, 1970 in mind....

June 21, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  10. Scott M. Danville, VA

We should all stand in spirit with our Iranian Brothers and Sisters in their struggle. They are showing Immense bravery and they are never far from my thoughts. I hope and pray they get what they strive for in the end.

June 21, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  11. Neil

I agree with your last two guests that the world must speak up as one, but that voice must include Russia and The Arab Nations to mean anything at all. Where are they??? Especially Moslems around the world!

June 21, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  12. Ben Soltani

Neda was the silent voice of all Iranians. She died for freedom by the brutal regime in Iran. The whole world must condomn such violent acts against the men and women of Iran by its own government...The government that seems to be always at war with the free world, promoting terrorism in name of god! How can we sit quietly and watch what is going on in Iran? The free world must no longer recognize this illegitamite govrnment of Iran! May god help the people of Iran!

Thank you for your wonderful coverage of Iran. God Bless you all and god bless the people of Iran!

June 21, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  13. WIll

The people's voice must be heard; therefore, Ahmadinejad and the so-called supreme leader have belittled their constituents whose components are the Iranian people from whom they got their power. The supreme leader should always remember that he can no longer be supreme without his people. He has taken sides with Ahmadinejad and silenced the voices of the people, so they both need to step down. Once you betray the people, you stop being their leader because they will never listen to you anymore. A leader with no ears is no leader at all. Again, the movement must go on, at all cost, untill voices are heard.

June 21, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  14. Paul Phillips

The Iranian Theocracy is dead. They may not know it yet. It is not possible for a theocracy to survive once its honesty and devotion to truth have been sacrificed to political manipulation. When people know their supreme religious leader is willing to lie openly, the system has lost its validity and is on the way out.

June 21, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  15. vallary

Isn't anybody watching North Korea, They have the weapons, money and a leader that keep food from his own people. Watch them slowy die for the fact of not having food. I am more scared of them than Iran. They way I look at it they don't have a choice, Neither guy is good for us and the rest of the world. but I think we need to clean and protect our own back yard, Some times you can't make friends,

June 21, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  16. la

I don't understand what people expect President Obama to do about Iran when we our military is already stretched thin. If he oversteps his boundires it will become
    American vs Iran. John McCain needs to understand that there is 1 president at a time, instead of going along with this endless campaign to micro manage President Obama. I'm sick of it. Let him do his job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  17. Ardyth Leitch

I can't believe CNN is asking advice and opinion from Paul Wolfowitz. He among a few others, got the US into the folly of Iraq – he has no credibility. Seeing him on the screen must cause agony to the families of fallen US soldiers in Iraq. Ardyth -Canada

June 21, 2009 at 9:53 pm |
  18. Cornelius

I just saw Paul Wolfawitz on Larry King Live stating that President Obama should speak out more in support of the Iranian people in their struggle for justice. As a man married to an Iranian, and who has been to Iran, I say this is a mistake, and that Obama's advisors also correctly realize this would be a mistake.

The bigger question though, is why in the world anyone would take a word that Paul Wolfawitz says as credible? This is a man who made mistake after serious mistake when it came to invading Iraq. He is one of the major architects of the death and destruction of American soldiers and Iraqis.

We can rest assured though, that if President Obama is taking the exact opposite action that Mr. Wolfawitz is suggesting, he is on the right path.

Any western leader who speaks out against the regime in Iran, or overtly supports the protesting citizens, will give the ruling mullahs the so called "proof" they need that there is a western conspiracy, and start the slaughter of innocent citizens.

June 21, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  19. Simone

I would like to comment on Neda...I feel the governement in Iran does not care about their people. I can't believe a young woman or anybody for that matter can get shot like that and die and the government has no shame. It's the goverment's well-being before the people's well-being. No wonder there are protests.

June 21, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  20. laura vazquez

We are very supportive of showing the events in Iran however there is NO reason why CNN should sensationalize the killing of the woman Neda by showing the video over and over in the same broadcast! have some decency!

June 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  21. SS

I live in Northen VA, but my family are in Iran.
    I just spoke with my father in Tehran minutes ago.
    He said the police are scaring people and want people to stop protesting.
    He is worried that so many people are getting killed in Tehran. Basij are going to people's houses and killing people.

I really hope United Nations do something about this. My heart goes out to Neda's family.
    I feel very helpless here. We all need this change! I am ready to go to Iran and fight for my freedome too.

June 21, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  22. Marilyn Bates

I feel President Obama is doing exactly the right thing–our government should not try to sway the Iranian situation one way or the other.
    HOWEVER, we as individuals must support the Iranian people! I as a grandmother of 2 granddaughters want to support the mothers, daughters, and granddaughters of IRAN. I would attend any peaceful gathering on behalf of the Iranian people that I could. I would wear green in support of the Iranian rights movement. How can I show my support as one grandmother to all the women of Iran?

June 21, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  23. Rose

My father was in Iran for the past month visiting his family unaware of the potential uprising. He came back today (thank God, safely) with his story. He has lived through the revolution and finds this revolution as a complete and utter deja vu. He informed us that the Khomeini informed his Iranian citizens of the retribution that will be due on friday based upon their actions of defiance. On friday my father found himself in utter chaos. The Khomeini opened up the eyes of the Iranians and allowed them to realize the life they were living. They finally found themselves under a dictatorship and realized that this not fair and they will no longer be succumbed to the inhumane and binding government. My father joined the thousands of people on the streets and voiced his opinion. He witnessed people getting hosed down and beaten. He saw people get burned by helicopters throwing down hot water on the people. My father and our family find it endearing and courageous of our people. We love our country and will do what it takes to free our people. "Natarseed" ... DO NOT BE AFRAID ... I have faith that our people will win this.

June 21, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Dan

Please pronouce the word IRAN correctly. There is no Ron in IRAN. The word IRAN should be sounded out like EYE-RAN not UH-RON.
    Thank-You!

June 21, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. david kaecher

I'd be curious to see what Iranian TV is reporting, or not reporting as to what they are giving their people. How are they portraying the protestors. Do they mentiion world oponion? Do they continue with scheduled programming as if nothing is happening. How are they justifying their actions?

June 21, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  26. Kass

Its so complicated to have the right feeling. I have never been so sad. I am sad because I am helpless. I am sad because we are so prothetic in Los Angeles that Amanpour has to interview Azzita Shirazi, GharibAfshar, Shiva Rose, and Aghdaslou as our spokes people.
    I am sad because Amanpour whom I admire, puts a quick program together for CNN, embarrassing us by bringing these non-relevant folks on, and give them an unwarranted voice.
    I am sad that right wing Americans that months ago were calling for the bombing of our people, now have become the devils advocate of supporting our people, Ann Colber, Mc Caine,Mike Pence, and Nitan Yahoo and the other political opportunists, like vultures are hoping a nation tears itself apart.
    To our youth I say not to ever assume that other countries support them without their self interests, and agendas as history has proven that. In Cuba the American backed cubans were left to be slaughtered by Fidel's troops. In 90s the provoked Shiites up rising in Iraq which the Bush Senior did not support them and they were slaughtered by Sadam. You are are intelligent, sophisticated, and not suppressible, but I think that your struggle should be through the system, and not to cause harm to our nation. Having said that I wish our great nation peaces, freedom, and democracy. But a home grown democracy. One once said a home grown dictatorship serves me better than a democracy brought up by others. God bless Iran, and may God look after our youth, and our nation.

Khashayar

Tehran-Iran
    =

June 21, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  27. BWK

Iran's Supreme Leader and the Governing Council now have no credibility on the world stage. Their ethics with reguard to democratic voting seem ripe with fraud and is as clouded as can be. What a black day for them and what a great opportunity for the Iranian people who want to enjoy more freedom.

June 21, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  28. JNH

Many rallies have been reported throughout the world AGAINST Ahmadinejad, but has there been even one rally anywhere in the world SUPPORTING Ahmadinejad (other than by his supporters in Iran)? Not this is likely to bother Ahmadinejad or the "Supreme Leader."

June 22, 2009 at 12:50 am |
  29. morad

The Islamic Government of Iran do not Allow Neda 's family to have her muslim prayer in any musque before burial ceremony in Tehran.
    is there any human in this regime?

June 22, 2009 at 3:27 am |
  30. Chris Morris in South Padre Island

Iran is in trouble, and i the people of Iran should stay indoors, its like a Revolution and the people are going to have to adjust to the new Change, and hopefully nobody will get hurt, but the protesters need to take a shot of whiskey, and take it easy because its gonna get worse and worse, and people are going to get killed ..

June 22, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  31. Carlos from Portland Oregon

When will the armed services of Iran realize that their duty is to the Iranian nation & not to any regime? When will the Iranian clerics realize that their role is to safeguard the spiritual welfare of their flock & not to rule over the country?

June 22, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  32. morad

I am very deeply disappointed and worried by the world politician’s reactions about Iranian governments. As I hear &watching on the radio and TV all politicians saying that you don’t negotiates with your friends you negotiate with your enemy which is true but in Iran case this philosophy does not work. Why because you negotiate with your enemy how you can negotiate with devil. IT is impossible to negotiate with devil, And no matter what you say and do you will be loser at the end day with them .so my suggestions to all countries is they shouldn’t waste any time to seat on negotiation table with Iranian regime or any other country they have similar government they should demolish this type of the regime out of face of this world before is too late. I have one life to live and I want that be in peace. I guarantee you 5 years from now if Iran has nuclear capability the life of everybody in the world is in danger. Furthermore I believe any country start having any kind of relationship with this government of Iran they are responsible for all killing is happing there unless stop diplomatic and economic relations with Iran Until this government defeated .people don’t need just hearing from other country that the world is watching they need actions from you. What you can do for democracy that’s the question. Just talking is not enough.
    God help us all. And God bless.

June 24, 2009 at 1:07 am |