Today on CNN Newsroom

June 22nd, 2009

Iran Security and Defense

From writer/producer Elberta McKnight:

Protesters returned to the streets of Tehran Sunday with a message that’s now playing out around the world.

Peaceful demonstrations have taken place in Germany, France, New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta and Washington as a result of Iran’s contested presidential election results.

Yet, one image is generating more reaction than any other. It is of a young Iranian woman we know only as Neda … purportedly killed in the streets of Tehran this weekend. The image has galvanized the anti-Iranian government movement. Our Betty Nguyen spoke with Intelligence Analyst Reva Bhalla about the new developments:

For the latest news on Iran, log on to CNN.com
Join TJ Holmes and Betty Nguyen weekend mornings in the CNN Newsroom, beginning 6am ET/3am PT

Post by:
Filed under: Clips from CNN Newsroom
  1. Heather

I felt compelled to find someplace to speak my mind about this after seeing the video taken of Neda. It broke my heart and I started cry when I saw the video, I can't believe in 2009 that something like this has happened. It's must be the saddest thing I've ever seen, I do believe she will be a symbol for how important it is to fight for freedom! I still can't even wrap my mind around this, how can a woman who was just walking down a street just be gunned down like her life means nothing. I will never understand how something like this could happen. I hope everyone remembers Neda and how lucky we are to live in a country where we can gather wherever we want without fear of speaking our minds and fighting for something we believe in. I know I will remember her for the rest of my life and I can't even begin to understand how her family must feel.

June 22, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  2. Ferede

Why is CNN warmongering and medling with Iran's internal affairs? Where was CNN when thousands of Innocent citizen sloughtered in Darfur? Where was CNN when Isralei forces sloughtered innocent palestinian using US tax payer money and US made bombs and warplanes?
    Don't you think this network is hypocrite?

June 22, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  3. neda Irani

Iranians are fighting for freedom. Something we're born with, something we should live with, not something we should die for.

June 23, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  4. Famatta J. Lincoln

TJ & Betty, please help me answer these questions. Where were the Republicans, when Liberians were killing each other? Where were they also when countries like Somalia,Senegal, Sierra Leone, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Guinea amongst others were in similar situations as Iran? Why is it now different for Iran? Is it because were are Africans so we should be left to die? I need an answer. I need help here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They want this president to do something!!!! Was there a president in America during these Uprising mentioned?

June 23, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  5. Maryam

It makes me sad to witness killings of hundreds of innocent people regardless of where they come from. I think, if we can get politicians, presidents and the heads of democratic countries to defend and prevent killings in one country, we can get them to do the same for all others. Men, women and children are getting attacked by a tyranic government. This is not right and it has to be stopped. Why can't we unite and enforce human rights for everybody all over the world, today for Iranians and tomorrow for another nation?
    But unfortunately, the politicians have the minds of their own. Votes, money, economical benefits, national security, etc are at the end of the day far more important than human rights even when it comes to Iranians. Why do we acknowledge and continue trading and negotiating with a bunch of dictators, criminals and thugs who call themselves this and that country's government?

June 24, 2009 at 3:17 am |
  6. Eddie Whitefield

Governor Sandford should go based on his position about President Clinton and others of his own party who had simular situiations.

June 25, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  7. Indera

Hi

Isn't it funny,we never tell the people that we Love the we Love them when they are here with us, but as soon as they are gone we have a lot to say what use is it then. I am sure that Michael Jackson would have LOVED to have known how many of us Loved him. Make this be a reminder that we NEED to let people around us know how much they mean to us when they are with us.

June 26, 2009 at 9:31 am |