Today on CNN Newsroom

June 25th, 2009

Farrah Fawcett, 1947-2009

'70s icon turned serious actress Farrah Fawcett passed away Thursday at age 62 after battling cancer

She had a million megawatt smile that set male hearts aflutter as they hung her iconic swimsuit poster on their bedroom wall and a fabulous head of hair that sent a generation of women scurrying to the salon to copy her winged 'do.

Actress and artist Farrah Fawcett has died after a very public battle with cancer. Share your memories of the "Charlie's Angel" who went on to garner award nominations for serious roles in "The Burning Bed" and "Extremities." Post your comments below or send us your thoughts in an iReport.

Filed under: In the Newsroom • iReport
  1. Jessica Marie

I still can't believe that Farrah is gone....I know I will always idolize her and her signature hair....RIP Farrah Fawcett 1947-2009

June 25, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  2. Robin Di Carlo

What you the on "Charlies Angels" of the "poster"
    Farrah comes to mind. Not only did she the hair, the smile, those looks....but she had the smarts...
    Farrah, thank you all that you were....YOU WILL BE MISS!
    GOD SPEED!

Robin Di Carlo Toano, VA

June 25, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  3. Brenda Ford

I am going to miss her she was the in Charlies Angles , but now she is at peace and watching over us. God bless you Farrah Fawcett.

June 25, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  4. mickey0

It a very sad day I know she suffer. She is at Peace. God bless her, Mr ryan and her hold family and friends in there time of need

June 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  5. Norman Simon

I am always sorry and saddened to hear about the loss of any human being to cancer. I can only hope that the loss of Farrah Fawcett will provide the impetus to charitable contributions for R&D towards finding cures and preventions for cancer.

June 25, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  6. Brad

Please, step away from the puerile perversity of attributing the death of Farah Fawcett - who began her career as a mega-hottie but ended her life as a warrior - solely to anal cancer. Perhaps your producers are too young, clueless and inexperienced to know no one dies only of cancer of the breast, the cervix, the lung, the anus or whatever. Cancer is a relentless and opportunistic disease. It will spread to every organ and area of the body it can. Eventually, after anytime from weeks to years, it will invade enough of the body to force a shut-downand death. Do treat Fawcett's passing with the dignity she earned.

Brad
    Dallas

June 25, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  7. Barbara

The date was Aug.27,1971. I was cast in a commercial for Continental Airlines.It was my very first commercial of the over 250 I went on to make.The call time was 7 a.m....I remember walking onto the training center's airplane., very young and very nervous.....and seeing the most beautiful "girl" I had ever seen.. It was Farrah.Fawcett.. and as I was standing next to her all during the shoot.. I was thinking 'I will NEVER work in this town again!!!' This woman is perfect.. perfect hair,skin and the whitest most perfect teeth I had ever seen. WE chatted during our breaks..she was so sweet to me... she told me of her engagement to Lee Majors...whom she had been dating for years.What a day!! I will never forget it.. or her.I only wish now I had saved a copy of that commercial.You always remember your FIRST..and I will AlWAYS remember the lovely Farrah Fawcett.

June 25, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  8. mary jones

my prayers are with her and her family . i wil miss her i grew up with charlies angels. miss you farrah and god bless you ryan.

June 25, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  9. Deborah Marlow

Farrah Fawcett fought a long and hard battle. She fought with a lot of dignity. Now the battle is over and she is at peace with God. Let us send prayers to her family at this time, Ask God to hold to give them and give them strength they will need.

June 25, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  10. Larry

I was one of those young boys who had that "poster" on the wall.

Farrah was a beautiful lady inside and out.

God bless you Farrah. You'll be missed.

June 25, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  11. Stacy Rocha

You put up an awesome fight! God bless you and your family!

June 25, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  12. David

Seeing that famous poster and some of the cuter moments from Charlie's Angels you can see how stunningly sexy Farrah Fawcett is. When I saw the clips that you showed from her movies, and some public apperances, and from her documentary on her struggle with cancer I could not help but think, what a resolute and dignified person.
    My deepest condolences to her family and all of her loved ones.

June 25, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  13. carol

I just want to say what a big loss , farrah was a great woman and role model. I would just like tell her family that my thoughts n prayers are with in you time of need.

June 25, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  14. Kim

I only hope that Farrah gets the recognition she deserves and the death of Michael Jackson doesn't over shadow all the things she has accomplished and all the people who loved her just as much as some do Michael Jackson. I am a huge fan of Michael Jacksons but his death should not be more news worthy than Farrahs. Please give her the time she deserves. It is sad that every website I have been to has Michael Jackson headlines covering the pages and you can find a small section about Farrah. Show her family and fans and especially Farrah some respect. They were both great and touched a lot of lives so let them both keep doing what they did best, make us happy.

June 25, 2009 at 7:37 pm |
  15. susan harris

What a big loss. She is at pease know. I loved Charlies Angles,I grew up with that show. The Burning Bed was the best movie I've seen. My preyers are with her,

June 25, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  16. G. Schultz

I have been watching CNN and HLN for the past few hours, and all coverage has been about Michael Jackson. While I understand why the coverage is so intense, I wonder why not one moment as been dedicated to the lost of Farrah Fawcett; a woman who has fought such a courageous fight with cancer. The contrast of one who abused their body and one who fought to save it.

Thoughts and prayers are with all who loved them and now grieve their loss.

June 25, 2009 at 8:18 pm |
  17. Guyrene Johnson

I saw Farrah's show on her battle with cancer and I cried. Today I heard she died and I cried even more....with tears in my eyes and deep respect for her I can only say God Bless you Farrah and may you be safe in heaven. My heart goes out to all her family and friends and they're in my prayers. She was so courageous to share her battle with cancer for all the world to see and I feel so blessed and lucky because my wife nearly died from cancer too but we were lucky...the surgery got it all and she is cancer free for 5 years! I truly wish this could have been your outcome too Farrah.
    It makes you sigh cause the loss is really too bad! You were courageous tho!

June 25, 2009 at 8:42 pm |
  18. Gisele Arsenault

It's sad that Michael Jackson died. It is also sad that Farrah Fawcett died. I'm watching CNN now and am saddened that all the focus is on Michael.... Farrah is not even being mentioned occasionally by anyone.

June 25, 2009 at 9:50 pm |
  19. maddy

i can not believe all the hip orver Michiale Jackson who was a child sex offender. Farrah deresvise the high light first.

June 25, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  20. Mikki Speller

I grew up watching Farrah and admired her tremendously. She was a brave woman and her courage should be an example for others to take to heart. She's at peace. Her suffering is over.

June 25, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Penny Pennington

my thoughts and prayers are with the O'Neil and Fawcett families, and her close friends today. I will remember Farrah for her courage, tenderness, honesty and for being a wonderful human being.

June 25, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Janet

So long Farrah, so long to part of my childhood. To the girl everyone wanted to be like! RIP

June 25, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  23. Patrice A. Tremblay

I am deeply saddened by Farrah's death, My high school pic. shows me with my "Farrah" hairstyle. She was and is in my memories a beautiful person, humble, lived her life with dignity and an incredible actress. The "Burning Bed" is proof of a true actress. I pray that God is tending to her loved ones, and bringing some kind of comfort. This date will be in my memories forever, But, her life will comfort me in my grief.
    Patrice
    Berkshires,MA.

June 26, 2009 at 1:09 am |
  24. Monique

I remember her as an "Angel" and by far she surpassed all of her talents in not only the "Burning Bed", but also in "Extremites". She also, experienced many public heartaches, rumors, family tragedies, as well as every person walking the face of the earth. MJ and FF just happen to be very public figures and everyone should back up and take a good look at themselves before judging others. We the public have made them (celebrities) who they are.

June 26, 2009 at 7:00 am |
  25. Kevin

This is terrible new. I know I had that poster in my room way back when. I don't know if there's been a more NATURALLY beautiful woman. Everyone today is airbrushed. She was one of the most beautiful women to walk this planet. And she was a very good actress and of course a Charlie's Angel. Sad she had to succumb to such a terrible disease. One of the true 20th century icons.

May she R.I.P.

CNN should be ashamed for putting 100% of coverage on Michael Jackson. Three icons died in the past 48 hours. Ed was the guy when the Tonight Show was truly something to watch with Johnny.

June 26, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  26. Ranelle, Ohio

I can't believe that Farrah Faucett lost her battle with Cancer! She's been an icon for many people in the world. She is NOT suffering anymore but her family is. My heart goes out for her family along with my thoughts and prayers. R.I.P. Farrah! and Michael Jackson!

June 26, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  27. glo

Rest in peace Farrah..
    You are an icon and will always be remembered forever in our hearts. Condolonces to her family and friends for their traggic loss.

June 26, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  28. DarKilp

I'm very disappointed in CNN for not giving Farrah Faucett she deserves.

June 26, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  29. ISO

i love the film charlies angles as a little child than we called it three womengirls. RIP

June 26, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  30. La Rhette

I really did not know this women to well but have heard a lot of great things about her.

June 26, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  31. Debbie Golden

Farrah Fawcett was a brave lady and her legacy she wants to help others so let`s talk about all cancers including anal how to prevent it or where the medical community is in finding a cure what are the symptoms of anal cancer so people know early detection may save a life this is whats important not Michael Jackson.

June 26, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  32. Diane Young/Raleigh NC

This is a very sad time in our world today, we have lost two of the biggest icons in the world. They will truly be missed, I personally grow up with both of these Icons, my rood was full of posters honoring both of them, not to mention on the same wall i had The Osmonds, and Bobby Sherman which many have forgotten about. I loved them all and pray for their families. May the rest in peace.

June 26, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  33. Diane Young/Raleigh NC

sorry for the typos.. (room, they rest in peace.)

June 26, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  34. Joanne

I feel so bad that Farrah has taken a "back seat" to micheal jackson. Just because hers was "expected" means nothing. She too was an icon. Her family is hurting just as much, if not more so now. R.I.P may God bless and keep you and your family in love and faith forever

June 26, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  35. Anna

Greetings. A little suggestion that you might consider expanding coverage of Farrah Fawcett, including a focus on her later works, such as in "The Apostle" and other serious films. Especially coverage and perhaps some clips and such of the filming of her last few years and all of the challenges, experiences, examples of heart and love, and so forth will be a great contribution to share this with the world-at-large.

God Almighty bless and keep the families and extended families of Farrah Fawcett and of Michael Jackson with pure Love and with Grace.

June 26, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  36. Channahsorah

Greetings. A little suggestion that you might consider expanding coverage of Farrah Fawcett, including a focus on her later works, such as in “The Apostle” and other serious films. Especially coverage and perhaps some clips and such of the filming of her last few years and all of the challenges and experiences with cancer. The examples of heart, love, and strength exemplified therein will be a great contribution to share with the world-at-large.

June 26, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  37. cb

I have reached an all new level of disgust with the press. As a Beverly Hills nanny I never could understand your mindset that it was OK to rush celebrity children on a playground or at a school, thereby scaring the heck out of children there to play. Lately, I thought it went beyond bad taste when the press showed up after the death of Natasha Richardson and shoved the cameras in the face of her two young sons. Yesterday, once the press heard that Farrah had "gone" they did not have the good grace to say "Sorry" to Ryan and leave him in peace, instead they surrounded his car. But, it goes beyond all human decency to show photos of Michael Jackson in the last attempts to revive him. At what point do you press junkies say enough is enough and let people have dignity in their final hours? You are proof that mankind is devolving.

June 26, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  38. Ursula

My heart goes out to Farrahs friends and family......what a brave and wonderful woman to open herself to the world with her battle against cancer.
    Shame on CNN for forgetting that two people died yesterday. What makes one any more or less news worthy than the other.
    As great as he was for a time, I speculate we will find that Michael died as a result of some sort of abuse to his body. Farrah I am certain fought to save her life until her last breath.

Will Michael fall into that category of another celebrity who surround themselves with people who will give them whatever magic pill they ask for.....Anna Nicole, Heath Ledger........

There is your story CNN......the doctors prescribing all the crap to those looking for some sort of relief to their oh so terrible lives

Farrahs legacy will be how cancer can eat at the core of a family, with no social divides.........will more monies be put into research and prevention, I doubt it.

June 26, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  39. Shaunte' Smith

With as much respect to the Jackson Family during their loss, I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to the family of Farrah... She was america's sweetheart but she was a mother and a daughter and a wife and a niece and a grandaughter to someone. Again, we all know what it feels like to loose a loved one. her death was a slow and painful one and thankfully she is no longer suffering.. My prayers go out to the family. God Bless.

June 26, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  40. Mary Lou Long

What a terribly sad day. I watched Farrah every since she came on the scene. I suppose her poster was her claim to fame. I remember trying to get my hair cut just like hers so that I could be so beautiful. I am near her age and have followed her career since the poster and have always enjoyed her acting. One movie that I haven't heard anyone talk about that stuck in my mind as well as Extremities is a movie where she was a mother of three children and worked as a postwoman. She fell in love with a fellow postman, but he said they would never get married because he didn't want children. She then took a trip at night on a secluded street and proceeded to shoot her kids. I can't remember the name of the movie, but she showed her acting ability in such a profound way in that movie, as well as "Extremities." I will miss her and always remember her for her courage as well. She was a fighter. God Bless her and keep her close to him.

June 26, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  41. rain mark

Farrah Fawcet, Beautiful inside and out. I thank the person who discovered this wonderful woman. I enjoyed her on "Charlies Angels" and the "Burning Bed". I thank her for sharing her life in the good times and in the bad. She truly was a very brave woman and extremely lucky to have had Ryan there beside her. My sympathy goes out to those that loved her but mainly to Ryan,her son and Alana Stewart.
    We are all creations of God, she is not less then anyone. In the arms of an angel, at peace now.

June 26, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  42. Val

Rest in peace to a beautiful woman. It is a travisty that Michael Jackson's death is so overshadowing the death of such a sweet lady. I wish her family and friends peace and comfort in knowing that she is no longer suffering and that she did everything she thought she could to overcome her illness. Long live her memory!

June 26, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  43. yvette stephen

farrah fawcett was such a great actress and she had so much courage to go on,but god knew her pain. I hope her son Redmond will
    get his life together and do something positive in his mom's name. Our prayers go out to Redmond and Ryan O'neal who really stuck by her, and the rest of her family. May she rest in peace.
    yvette stephen
    & family

June 26, 2009 at 12:49 pm |
  44. Dawn-Atlanta

The 70's was my era too.
    I loved Farrah on Charlie's Angels; it is hard to believe she was only there for one season.

She was a beautiful spirit and person inside and out.

I pray she is in heaven and pray her loved ones find comfort.

May she RIP

June 26, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  45. yvette stephen

Ed MCMahon was a great announcer, and he will always be remembered for his laughter on the Johnny Carson show. Our prayers go out to his entire family. May he rest in peace.
    yvette stephen
    & family

June 26, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  46. Cmee

I too am dissapointed that Farrah's passing does not seem to be getting the coverage that she (in my eyes) deserves.

I watched some of the Larry King special early this morning and Larry commented that "Farrah Fawcett, sadly, is page five tomorrow".

There was some discussion of this and an interesting point was made by Carlos Diaz, 'Extra' correspondent. What Mr. Diaz had to say did provide me with some comfort. Here is some of the transcript from the show.

KING: Farrah Fawcett, sadly, is page five tomorrow.
    DIAZ: Is it sad, though? Because...
    KING: That was expected.
    DIAZ: ... You have to Wonder. Ryan O'Neal, you know, has now got the tough task of burying the woman that he loved and also, too, you know, their son Redmond has to basically get out of jail. It's been announced today that he'll be released from jail to attend the funeral.
    So you have a little bit of controversy there.

Do you Wonder, maybe, OK, now, you know, that media spotlight is off of them, and they can focus on having, you know, a heartfelt normal burial of this amazing woman? I don't think we're going to forget who Farrah Fawcett is because of this tragedy with Michael Jackson. Maybe it allows them a little bit of space.

KING: But she didn't get page one tomorrow.
    DIAZ: Is that going to be - she'll always be Farrah Fawcett.
    She'll always be Farrah Fawcett.

Thoughts anyone?

June 26, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  47. Cmee

Mary Lou Lang, the movie you are talking about is Small Sacrifices. It is based on the true story of Diane Downs, who was convicted of shooting her 3 children.

Ryan O'Neal played the part of the postman.

I haven't seen anyone mention it either and also wondered why. Farrah was marvelous in her portrayal of the murderous mother.

Could it be that it's not brought up because of the subject matter?

The movie (actually it was a mini-series) was every bit as good as Burning Bed, which in my opinion, was brilliant.

June 26, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  48. davin

what a sweet face..Im sure her family will greatly miss her..I pray for her family in this time..what a beautiful angel she will be in heaven..God bless this family

June 26, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  49. Farah

we'll miss you Farrah, we love you so much. ur the beauty in person !
    rest in peace ❤

June 26, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  50. Farah

GORGEOUS !

June 26, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  51. Barbara A. Crawford

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson families. We have lost talent that can not be replaced,ever!
    May they rest in peace!

June 26, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  52. Jack

It's crazy how Michael Jackson(Rip) overshadowing her Rip to both of them but people gotta understand she was a actor idk wha else she did but Mike influenced the whole world even when family's was taken advance of his kindness with them terrible lies about him molesting childen. Hey dumb asses he was equitted hahahaha and they still focus on the bad on the news and not the good that's funny to me. Michael's music will live on forever and he will be missed forever!

June 26, 2009 at 8:16 pm |
  53. Keith Perry

I was quite sadden to hear of Farrah's death even though I had read on TMZ the day before that her family was gathering at her bedside to say goodbye to her. Still I was being hopeful that she would pull through, unfortunately she didn't. I would like to just say thanks Farrah for the memories and the great posters in the 70's. You were so gorgeous and provided me and my friends with conversations of who was the prettiest angel. RIP

June 27, 2009 at 12:22 am |
  54. Ms Geneva

The family has my deepist sympathy. She was the most beautiful woman in the world. I use to hurry home from school to watch charlie angles because that was one of my favorite movies. rest in peace because God loved you best.

June 27, 2009 at 1:24 am |
  55. Jimmie Johnson

Thank you Farrah for being a sweet and loving person. You will be missed so much. Your beauty stole my teenage heart. Your fought so hard, I am so sad you lost the battle when you were still so full of life.

June 27, 2009 at 1:26 am |
  56. Arthur Riepenhoff

I will agree that MJ was an extremely talented person, and it is a shame that such talent is gone, however, what is equally a shame is that the loss of Farah has been pushed aside. Farah's bravery and courage to bring attention to the suffering that cancer can do to a person seems to not matter. Its like shes gone and its sad and farewell, now lets get on to Michael. She was no less of a person. I guess the media thinks that she was since she did not sell millions of albums. It took a lot of courage to invite people into her suffering so that everyone could see a side of cancer that many people dont get to experience unless you are a family member. This week for sure has been a sad one, I say a fond farewell to Ed, Farah and Michael. I wish them bravery and strength on the next path they travel. For now rest in peace.

June 27, 2009 at 2:09 am |
  57. Marguerite

I am disgusted with CNN-They have behaved as though Farrah fawcett doesn't exist-It's time to change the channel folks

June 27, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  58. Frank Byrnes/Berkshires

Farrah set the standard for all women to be place against. Her natural born beauty and open friendly personality seems as if it will never be surpassed. Her passing is a devistating loss for all human kind, and for those who lived in her time we were given a great gift from God to cherrish. Farrah, we will remember your life with us, but always be saddened deeply by your passing. The world seems lonely without you. You will bring the same joy to your next destination.

July 1, 2009 at 6:46 pm |