Today on CNN Newsroom

June 25th, 2009

President Obama's Balancing Act

President Obama is trying to gain traction on his domestic agenda, including health care reform. But international events keep grabbing the spotlight: Iran's crackdown on post-election demonstrations, North Korea's nuclear saber-rattling. How can the President best balance U.S. interests at home and abroad? Is he already striking the right tone? Leave us your comments below.

Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield
  1. Larry

I've never seen a President have to deal with so much so new to the office.

I'm just glad he's a high-energy guy.

He's made our stance clear to Iran, and that's all he can do. Seems the paths to freedom throughout history have always been violent and bloody. Ours was 300 years ago. We'll see over the 4th of July if N. Korea is as crazy as they appear to be.

He's working night and day on health care reform, he's working night and day for our country.

The congress needs to get behind him.

June 25, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  2. jeff clark

i guess managing world/domestic events is like "herding cats"... just look at his gray hairs coming in...

but i must also say that a weak domestic front (economy, energy, infrastructure, crime, environment, education) is just as equal a threat to the United States as a missile from the north Koreans...

June 25, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  3. Thomas V. Muller

Why the psychotic obsession with demonizing Iran. Do you not know that Cheney authorized assinations in Iran, and Bush authorized $400 million to destabilize, conduct "black ops" and promote riots in Iran.

June 25, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  4. Michael

The first thing President B. Obama should do is realize that he is negotiating with liars from the top to the bottom in Iran. We will never really know what they truly want and niether will they. He needs to take the whole team of the TV show "lie to me" and a second group to check the first. They know our hands are about tied with these wars in Islamic territories and their just pushing us to make a mistake. We might make one but we should never let fear dictate. So he should continue to take care of these domestic issues, because when we gather ourselves together in America (united and on one page); we will be able to do a complete job of dealing with liars like Amadeni(jabberwocky), Toll house cookie (Ayatollah Komeni) and Elvis the midget (height issue) of North Korea (Young real ill). And we all should continue to pray, because we are all in this together. Repeat; this is not a game.

June 25, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  5. Dave Williams

It sounds like he does the same thing as every President since the United States committed itself to continual engagement with the world following WWII. That's why he has a robust cabinet, advisors, policy experts, and oh yeah what's that other branch of government that is supposed to check and balance the power of the executive...right the Congress! It's a matter of prioritizing and making decisions like every other leader, then dealing with the consequences.

June 25, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  6. J

I think Obama is doing an incredible job, especially with all the International distractions. He may turn out to be one of our best Presidents yet. He appears to be handling every issue with the right balance and understanding for what's at stake for us now and in the future. Keep up the good work!

June 25, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  7. Milton Smith

Obama could make good amounts of money if he got somone to do a balancing act as a sky base with light weight suacer high in the atmosphere equiped with ozonators to clean up the air. It could stay there balancing htere or even cnn could do a sky base with high powered impulse engines. CNN shky basees. Cool hey?

June 25, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  8. sydney

as for as dealing with Iran Government, I think Obama is not tough enough on them, by accusing the west and Europe of interfering Iran is only trying to put the west and UK in defensive position so they can get away with their cruelty, and Obama has fall for their trick, imagine what they would do with the country that they don't like after they have nuke. We should not be afraid of what they might say, like a bully they are just making big noise to get what they want and so far they seems that are succeeding.

June 26, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  9. hasna

Michael jackson is the iconic figure of our lifetime. I came to the US from Morocco to live the American dream that Michael Jackson inspired me to dream at about 9 years old, needless to say he changed my life forever.

Michael embodied the possibility of dreaming and achieving. He was the soundtrack to many lives, his dancing was like a dream and we all felt like we' ve been on the moon dancing.

Michael Jackson also embodied a generous soul who cared deeply about all of us around the globe. He always wanted to show us hope, love and oneness. We will always keep his legacy alive by dancing to his angelic melodies. Michael, we love you forever.

June 26, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  10. Debbie Perry

We will miss you michael. I enjoyed all of your music and your dancing. This should not have happened You are an icon that will always be remembered. I remember singing ben as a child and Ill be there which inspired me. Heart goes out to your family . I know how hard this must be. We love you and will miss you.

D Perry

June 26, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  11. DIANE DRUKER

FIRST RULE FOR CPR IS TO DO IT ON A HARD SURFACE WHY WAS A DOCTOR DOING IT ON THE BED AND HAD TO BE TOLD
    BY AN OPERATOR TO PUT HIM ON THE FLOOR
    DIANE PITTSBURGH

June 26, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  12. margaret

I think Obama is doing a wonderful job.He woundn't have to do a balancing act if the Bush administration hadn't left such a mess.Just think what a great job Clinton left for Bush. The republicans always leave a deficit and Dem. have to raise taxes to get us out of debt.
    Reagan was the worst president ever and everybody sings his praises Any middle class that votes republican should have their head examined.

June 26, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  13. kim

I think that President Obama is doing a wonderful job of balancing. It's not like he was left with surplus and with out problem.
    Michael Jackson said that he has vitiligo. I think that the media need to start talking that vitiligo is a disease that make not just your skin but your hair go white. Before it completely go white people have to go through a long time with white spots all over your body. It's not a easy illness to go through.

June 27, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  14. JoAnn Nelson

I grew up listening to the J5 in the 60s & 70s, and then Michael as he went solo. Not widely known is that the J5's first recording was a song called "Big Boy", circa 1967. It was a big hit in Chgo! My bff and I went to a J5 concert in 1970. We were so close to them! They were spectacular! I love you, Michael. Rest in peace, sweet prince. God bless your family and children.

June 27, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  15. JoAnn

President Obama is doing an incredible job! No other president has come into office with so many problems to deal with. His Dems in Congress need to stand with him; they are worse than the GOP. v At least they stand together, right or wrong.

June 27, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  16. JoAnn

I grew uplistening to the J5 in the 60s, 70s, and Michael when he went solo. Not widely known is that the J5's first recorded song was "Big Boy" circa 1967. My bff and I went to a J5 concert in 1970. We were so close to them! They were spectacular! I love you, Michael. Rest in peace, sweet prince. God bless you and your family and children.

June 27, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  17. NB

The President should continue to try and create peaceful order from the chaos that some of these nations seem to be peddling. We need to stop Bush era criminal operations in these countries and just play it all defensively, making every attempt to not meddle. However we must discourage violation of human rights. I think the President has played his cards right with these nations, however his energy bill here on the domestic front may backfire in my belief because of the sharp rise in energy prices. Environmental stewardship makes sense, but the public has a short attention span and I don't think that they will have patience for a huge increase in their energy costs in order to achieve a goal that is very esoteric. If we are going green, how do we know when we get there? There is a lot of great potential for his presidency, but I hope he's not selling out to what the global eite are peddling about global warming. Oh wait sorry now it is called climate change. An even more dangerous term, because now no matter what happens it is our man-made fault. Ho boy! I forgot my boots and rose colored glasses!

June 27, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  18. StephanJade

Nice blog you got here. I'd like to read more concerning this topic.

October 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm |