Today on CNN Newsroom

June 27th, 2009

Michael Jackson Memories

We've asked IReporters to share their comments on the death of Michael Jackson.

CNN Newsroom show team members share their memories:

From writer Clint Deloatch:
He is the greatest entertainer of all time.
I have bought everything he has ever released to the public.
I saw him perform live in Knoxville, Tennessee when he rejoined his famous brothers as the Jacksons to perform their Victory tour in the southeast.
Michael Jackson was unbelievable. He could do things NO other dancer could do before or since AND he made it look easy.
If Elvis had NOT come of age in segregated America, Elvis MIGHT… just MIGHT have been equal to Michael. However, because Elvis did reach his peak in segregated America, blacks, Hispanics and other ethnic Americans could not embrace Elvis the way everyone was able to embrace Michael Jackson.
The irony is Michael Jackson was even more loved outside the United States than he ever was in his own country.

From writer Richard Spiropolous:
Michael was a dreamlike entertainer with a voice like an angel-
He always seemed to be a throwback from a different world, a different realm
The intensity and genius of "Thriller," the playful camaraderie he and Paul shared in "Say, Say, Say," the thinly disguised pleas for privacy in "leave me alone" and the breath taking dance moves… "Smooth Criminal."
They all shaped for me this intriguing figure of fantasy and torment, Peter Pan, without the happy thoughts.
The songs immortalized the talent… but never quite explained the strangest, most fascinating musical figure of my time.
His music lives on as a gift to us, his life a text for generations to come.

From copy editor Tracy Murphy:
As I watched the coverage of Michael Jackson's death I flashed back to all the memories I had of the King of Pop growing up. I remember the night MTV premiered "Thriller." It was a huge event. It truly was "must see television." I was in awe of the whole production from beginning to end and his dance moves were phenomenal. I remember trying to do those dances in my living room. It was so much fun. I never came close to getting those moves down like Michael, but boy I tried. Let us not forget when you first saw him do the moonwalk… I thought how'd he do that? Did he have special slippery shoes? Clearly, that was just pure genius!
Michael always kept us wanting more and just when you thought he couldn't top this video or that dance move - he did. Every time I think of his music through the years it just makes me smile. Songs like "I Want You Back" or "P.Y.T.," make you just want to dance. That's exactly what I'll keep doing because his legacy will live on forever.

From writer/editor Karen Waygood:
From the Barbie doll time in my life, I remember looking at posters of the Jackson 5 on my friend's bedroom wall... and covers of Tiger Beat that pitted the Jackson 5 against the Osmonds. The Osmonds were said to be the "answer to the Jackson 5." I don't remember what the question was.

Those early hits - those are my favorites. "I Want You Back, "The Love You Save, "Never Can Say Good-bye," "I'll Be There."
Then, from The Jacksons: "Shake Your Body Down," and "Blame it on the Boogie."

I was working for Tower Records when "Off the Wall" was released. We wore the grooves right off that in-store promotional record! Add "Rock with You," "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" to my favorites.

From associate producer Hanna Gordola:
Michael, oh Michael. It's so funny how you can feel so close to someone who you've never come close to meeting. I'm on first-name basis with Michael Jackson. In fact, I call him 'Mike'. As in, "Yo! Did you see Mike's latest video?!" or "Hey, put Mike's CD on!"
And you never had to explain which Mike you're talking about. Everyone knows you're talking about the King of Pop.
The thing is, I grew up with Mike. He was a star when I was born in 1983.
"Thriller" was all ready the gold standard. Music videos were supposed to be epic, well, at least if they were Mike's.
Songs were supposed to stay in your head for days, well, at least if they were Mike's.
Whenever "Rock with You" is on the radio, I scream "that's my song! That's MY song!" As if the HOURS I've logged listening to that disco hit entitled me to its ownership.
And so for our show, when I was picking Michael Jackson songs to play, I kind of got carried away. I spent a little too much time selecting, or honestly, jamming along. And when I mention a song to my show team, a producer, writer, etc. would sing the tune or say something about that particular song.
I guess it goes without saying, Mike, I will miss your music. You honestly shaped my life.

From intern Adam Dolgoff:
The very first Michael Jackson memory that stands out is back in the late 80's when I was about four years old. I was watching a movie that at first appeared to be a zombie/werewolf B-movie that strongly resembled "Night of the Living Dead." I was very intrigued by horror movies at the time so I was excited to keep watching. After a few minutes of watching, out pops Michael Jackson dancing away with zombies! My hopes were let down after I found out that it wasn't a zombie movie, but I was very impressed by MJ's choreography and dancing skills. I later found out that it was the best-selling album of all time. Another time I recall hearing one of MJs songs that really appealed to me is when his hit song "Beat It" played in the movie "Back to the Future Part II," in the Café Eighties scene. I had the song stuck in my head for hours and hours. RIP MJ!

Join TJ Holmes and Betty Nguyen in the CNN Newsroom, beginning 6am ET/3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Ameenah Fuller

I was devastated to hear the news about Michael Jackson's death.
    I have been praying that people are kind in their opinions and sentiments regarding Mr. Jackson's passing. It is a sad day in America when we have lost a symbolism of peace and hope around the world. I have so many fond memories of Michael Jackson and his music it is hard to quantify in one simple statement. Every song he sang and every album he produced was all great pieces of artistry. There will never be an artist to replace the perfection of his work. I sincerely hope that people respect Michael Jackson in his death and allow him to rest in peace. Peace is what he promoted for all of us.

June 27, 2009 at 4:18 am |
  2. Melody Hills

As a child growing up in Florida, I loved playing the pinball machine to Michael Jackson's music at the game room. I would put the quarter in the juke box and a quarter in pin ball machine and pop game after game. "Got you working day and night"
    Those were the good ole days. He will be truly missed.
    Love you Michael. RIP

June 27, 2009 at 7:29 am |
  3. Odukwe

I still can't help but feel OFF THE WALL, because this THRILLER gives me such a BAD feeling....
    =(

June 27, 2009 at 8:30 am |
  4. Dr. Bill Alvarez

I really feel this post will not be aired but I must state my feelings. I watch CNN daily and feel they do a great job but in this case of Michael Jackson I have turned to other channels. Too much air time is given to this man. Yes, I agree, Michael was a great entertainer with great music BUT how did he use his money? Did he ever do anything GOOD for the poor of this world? I believe there are others who have given much to the world - I ask what has Michael given other than his music when he had the finances to make a difference. Given this thought, what difference did he ever make other than what we all know about his questionable life?

June 27, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  5. tazwil39

Michael Jackson was a great entertainer. This is what the world should remember. I think this entertainer did wonderful things for the industry , he has also given his life to the creation of awesome music videos and great music. These are the memories we should hold on to as we greive the lost of the King Of Pop.

RIP

June 27, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  6. Sasha Haywood

My condolences most definetly go out to the the family, freinds and fans of Michael Jackson. He's been dead since Thursday afternoon but it was just this morning that I shed tears. I guess I was in shock. I am 50 years old myself. The first time I saw Michael Jackson was on the Ed Sullivan show. I fell in love and was touched that moment. I grew, I learned, I identified with his Peter Pan and Wendy approach, I sang his music, I danced to his music, I watched him turn from dark skin to light skinned, I was there through his good times and was always on his side through tthe bad times. I never once believed he was capable of those things he was charged with. I believe the parents of the kids was just trying to get money. For some reason I understood Michael. His death is a tragedy and a loss to the world. But the way we are all coming together from across the world brings more tears to my eyes than his death. The only other time I've seen and witnessed love like this was the Obama campaign process. It is so touching and beautiful the way the world from all cultures are grieving this loss to together. Humanity was what Michael was all about and his dream has come true and shows through us in his death. As he would say, I love you world and thanks for your love in return. I know my neighbors probably think I was crazy but last night I got out of my car and danced to the tune of his music. See, I understood why he danced on top of the van after his trial. He was happy!!!! Let us all be happy that we had the opportunity to live in his time. To the Jackson family, please do not deny us the opportunity to view his funeral. I know the family wants to be private but I hope they understand that it is all of us who made Michael the success that he was. To the family, we love him too! We are grieving too!

June 27, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  7. ARUBA ARTS FOUNDATION- Stan&Wilma

MICHAEL JACKSON IS THE ONLY ARTIST EVER WHO
    AT THE TIME OF HIS PASSING COULD MAKE THE WORLD
    CRY, SING AND DANCE AT THE SAME TIME.

THIS IS PROOF OF THE POWER OF HIS ART AND HIS LIFE

June 27, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  8. ARUBA ARTS FOUNDATION- Stan&Wilma

MICHAEL JACKSON IS THE ONLY ARTIST EVER THAT
    AT THE TIME OF HIS PASSING AWAY CAN MAKE THE WORLD
    CRY, SING AND DANCE AT THE SAME TIME.

THIS IS PROOF OF THE POWER OF HIS ART, HIS LIFE.

June 27, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  9. Teri

Can we talk about something else besides Michael Jackson? What about Iran? What about other important things around the world. Ok, it's sad I guess but it's not a surprise. He was a weirdo who was on drugs and was probably a pedophile. I get so tired of the National Enquirer mentality of the news. Hours and hours and hours of this. Come on...WHERE'S THE NEWS??

June 27, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  10. Malette

Michael Jackson's music will be his legacy. So many wonderful memories for me growing up. Michael gave us years of happiness with his music. May he rest in peace now and may God be with his children and family at this most difficult time.

June 27, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  11. michael armstrong sr.

michael jackson will be mised by every one it seems like drugs take away the lives of alot of famous intertainers at a young age from elvis all the way to michael how many people must die to drugs before studios step in with drug test to keep people like john belushie -keith ledger -elvis -michael the count of dead or lost judgement to actors and performers has to be bought under control .

June 27, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  12. Charese

I was just listening to MJ song childhood, and it just brought tears to my eyes. I remember my childhood listening to MJ and his brother"s. I remember how my sister and i use to fight over MJ saying he was our boyfriend 🙂 Then I had a son who I was able to take to one of MJ's concert here in Miami, Fla. I went all out for my son to dress him up in the jacket and socks and shoes,glove and slick his hair down. My son still remembers that day. Then I think wow MJ gave us himself from child hood to adulthood. He never knew what it was like to be a child. It is so tragic to think about.how this great man never knew what it was like to play ball to skate or to be a cartoon hero. Well MJ I know that where you are now you can be that child and play ball, skate and fly around heaven all day. Rest Angel Rest and play all you want.

June 27, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  13. Ellen G.

Amen Teri!
    Enough already!
    Reminds me of the Anna Nicole freak show.
    We have more things to worry about then Michael Jackson.
    Hope he finds forgiveness and love in heaven but, enough already your killing me!

June 27, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  14. Guddy

I'm very, very sorry about Micheal J. and Farah too. I feeling very sorry for the family and for the fans. But please all Media, enough is enough, we want to see other news too. Don't scow it up. Because it it to much, the negative voices getting louder against him. You not doing him a favor.

June 27, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  15. Sasha Haywood

To Dr. BillAverez, Teri and Ellen – do you love anyone or anything. I hope the your family, friends, and fans(?????) don't feel the same way about you when you die. I love you all the same. You obviously had some interest or you never would have viewed this site.

June 27, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  16. Mrs. Eileen G. Currás widown to Hernández (WWII)

Enough already! Certainly the News Media has to also know about control. The investigation is going on because it has to be done because he was a famous person. The media has to wait like everybody else. We have more things to worry about like the Health Situation. I hope that God will give him forgiveness and love in heaven. There are so many that have lost a love one. We should pray for them too.

June 27, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  17. Dean

Sorry, Betty, but as soon as I finish writing this I will turn away from cnn and will not watch any of its affiliate news channels for at least the month of July. Your continual coverage of Michael Jackson's death (I mean let's face it; NOTHING IS HAPPENING!) is about as nauseating as was your minute-by-nanosecond coverage of Anna Nicole Smith. Let it rest awhile! There is other world news far more important!!

June 27, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  18. Mrs. Eileen G. Currás widown to Hernández (WWII)

Yesterday we had to wait for the Coroner for his report. Now we have to wait longer for Science to make its final decision. The reality is that the report will not be discussed with the media. A lot of legal work will have to be done for the public to finally know the truth, if the media wants to do the job.

June 27, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  19. Mrs. Eileen G. Currás widown to Hernández (WWII)

There is nothing like reality to finally touch everyone. This is the message with so many topics that are affecting the economy in America like Health, Economy, etc. Reality is the equalizer for the poor, the politicians, etc but sometimes the political agendas can be stubborn and reality has to touch them even closer. No one is better than anyone and this example is marked with Mrs. Farrah Fawcett health condition and even the death of Mr. Michael Jackson. Power and money does not make anyone special. We humans make power and money special when we put power and money to good use.

June 27, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  20. lady

i love you michael

June 27, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  21. Almekka

REST IN PEACE MICHAEL!! You will truly be missed but your Legency will ALWAYS be remembered. I love you so much and will always be one of your biggest fans. RIP The King of Pop and i hope you work miracles up there in heaven. God you truly have an Angel. ~Almekka *much love*

June 27, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  22. April Jones

well i live in Saint Albans ,Maine......Michael Jackson..i remember being a little girl and doing a school dance to his song Billie Jean...i was i think the 5th grade i got up in front of the whole school and parents and did my dance me and my friend Jodi...god i even did the moon walk..lol...i remember having his record and wearing a glove to be like him i had a pin i think i had everything ...May he rest in peace and his family find peace.....god be with u all at this time........Never forget u michael jackson......

June 27, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  23. Dee Ambroise

I don't get it why does Mr.Jackson's ex wife wait untill he's dead to state that he knew his fate? Then on top of that she also states that she loved him and he loved her. Now I'm not saying that he didn't love her but i'll tell you this "she didn't love him and if she did she would of tried to stop this mess that he had gotten into with presricpiton drugs" I feel as though she was B S-ing the whole thing. where I'm from they call that fake and im gonna tell you this right now she's as fake as they get, her lve was nothng but a scam. And oh yeah the doctor that give Mr.Jackson the meds should be put in jail for not watching the dosage that was being given.Along with losing his or her license. Because that was an act of negligence.

June 27, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  24. Ms. M

When I heard the news of Mr. Jackson's death I felt like I was punched in the stomach. This man was a part of my childhood as well as my childrens. There are no words to express the sadness that me and my family feel at the death of this beautiful human being. MJ was truly misunderstood, he appeared to be a man who surrounded himself with the innocence of children because they accepted him for himself. May God Bless your children and family. Your in God's care now!

Rest in Peace MJ

June 27, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  25. a teacher

I must agree with the person who said that Michael Jackson is bigger than God. Not to say he is better or more powerful, but is more followed, loved, and acknowledged. First of all, this world has proven incapable of putting aside our differences and working as one to fight hunger, or poverty, or pollution, or AIDS, or terrorism, as Michael urged us all to do, to unify as one HUMAN race regardless of race religion or other, to solve our common problems, yet we can all come together in our love for Michael Jackson and to mourn him as one unified sorrowful force. There is no religion in this world with unified members that can come together in the numbers that Michael Jackson fans have continued to over the decades. He is the most recognized name, face, figure in the history of the world, only after Jesus Christ himself. He has continued to send a message of love and compassion, to give of himself, and to love those who persecuted him and to pray for them. He worked to live by Jesus’ example and to be an example for his fans to the best of his ability, although no one is perfect, he used his money (he gave over 300 million of his OWN personal money to charity in his lifetime) and power to change the lives of millions. I know many people personally who would not be alive today had it not been for Michael and his influence, myself included. There is even an organized religion of over 100,000 people who believe that Michael is the messiah! I am a Christian (thanks to Michael’s influence as a child) and do not believe he is the messiah, but there are people who believe it whole heartedly because he truly tried to live a life that was acceptable to God. He was thankful for the many blessings he had received and tried to help others to have faith. I pray his message, vision, and purpose are not lost in the media lies and hate that many have created for him. His good deeds go widely unnoticed as he did not seek praise for his works. His great dream was a world children’s holiday where people show their respect and honor for children and childhood. I hope this dream will be realized in his memory. Michael was chosen by God to make a difference here, and I believe he did, in fact more than any one other person in history. Oh and yeah he was also a talented entertainer… too bad that’s the only part most people will ever know. I pray he will find the peace in death that no one would allow him in life.

June 27, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  26. Diamond

Michael Jackson is a legend he's legends of legends. M is for Michael, M is for music, MichaeL, L for legend! I mean I wasn't bornduring the Thriller era or Bad era...but more like Invinsible era. But i know he was an amazing guy who cared more about making his fans, children, the world happy, and he succede. I can give a care about the media but I love mj and i'm gonna have my kids know who this man is...but I'm gonna miss him much. My prayers go out to his family and the many billions of fans he had! He's such a inspiration

June 27, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  27. Texas

MJ was an icon in the beginning, but now he is just a mess. Give other news a chance... Farrah died earlier that day and this has overshadowed her--too sad. She was a much better person!!!!

And why is Jesse Jackson involved in EVERYTHING???? Tell him to sit down!!!

June 27, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  28. Ms J

I was watching CNN this morning and was appalled at the reporter who picked up a couple of the flowers at one of the memorial sites. She had a card in her hand and said it is not opened so she would not open it. What?! Not one item there was left for you!! If someone wants to say goodbye to an entertainer by leaving flowers, cards, and sentiments of any kind, who are you to judge and say that most of the people who left stuff probably haven't met him, and probably couldn't afford to go to his concert. What?! What if they couldn't? What does that have to do with you? What does someone's way of expressing themselves at the loss of a life have to do with you? The media goes too far.

June 27, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  29. Author Ciara Anderson

It has been three days I am still crying this morning was my first time eating. A Part of me has left wiith him. NO one will ever understand my connection to him it was not because he is the "King of pop" It is becuase of his loving heart he demonstrated to our generation. I know what it feels like first hand to not havr a childhood, to be abused and ultimately want to ensure every other child does not experience what I did. " Man in the Mirror", "Cry","Childhood" and "Heal the World" has inspired me to go further. In the introduction of my book "Drowning in a Mother's Womb" I wrote I was inspired by him. I was determined to meet him and tell him "He has changed me and for that I will do everything in my power to help our children." Unfortunately I can't tell him now but I will make a difference the way he wanted.

June 27, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  30. N Le

You gave us a lot. But what did we give you? Love you Michael

June 27, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  31. Dodie - Irvine, California

I remember when I would drive 200 miles every day in order to attend a university and I would always rely on his up-beat album “Thriller” to keep me awake on the long drive home over the Cajon pass. In many ways, he saved my life on those long late night drives.

I must tell you, very little ever shakes me up… But the death of Michael Jackson shook my world to the core even though it was expected.

Michael Jackson’s music, life and legacy spanned more than 40 years. Michael’s music transcended generations of people throughout the world. He was an icon among icons. He lost his childhood to give us ours thus encapsulated a sadness within. Michael inspirited multitude of generations that spanned from age 8 to 80!

When I think of Michael, I always think of the love he could never give to himself but brought to the world through his music. RIP my sweet friend!

June 27, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  32. Michael Mir

Enough already!!!!!!!!!! What happened to the rest of the news? I thought you had an Iran Desk? Has the Iran Desk turned into Michael Jackson desk? Has the need to know the color of the moving vans arriving at the Rented Mansion overshadowed a revolution in making…….has the fact that his personal doctor ( legal Drug Dealer), who is most likely paid by a first-rate health insurance policy, become priority of your responsibility to report on the state of this Nation’s Health Insurance Crisis? If I want to know about Michael Jackson’s life and death I will tune in to an Entertainment News Channel seems like you are morphing into one……

June 27, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  33. jeshua pearson

Michael Jackson was my favorite music artist and I will keep his family and kids in my prayers. I will miss MJ very much.

Sincerely,
    Jeshua Pearson

June 27, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  34. L. Hodges

I was introduced to Michael Jackson music when he was about ten years old performing on the Ed Sullivan show. Michael was an amazing performer. I love his singing and dancing and how he performed on stage. I never believed the rumour about Michael. I think Michael loved all children because he was neglected of his childhood. Michael wanted to make certain these children was happy. And he did. As we know all parents cannot afford to take their children to Disney. Michael saw in these children what he saw in himself when he was that ten year old child looking out of his window watching the children play in the park the overlooked his house. " Never Land" was the new Disney, free for everyone especially the children to enter. The parents who could never afford to take their children to such a place. Michael made a different in these children lives. I can imaging the joy Michael felt when their little faces lit up. I hope Michael children are placed in a loving home. I love you Michael. L. Hodges from Huntsville, AL

June 27, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  35. John Kane

Michael Jackson was an incredible talent and it will be many years before we see someone like him again.

But, enough already. We have global crises. A critical energy bill passed the House today. There are real problems and real news to be covered.

I mourn the pasing of Michael Jackson, but there are more important things to do. Let's move ahead.

June 27, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  36. Peggy Williams

Micheal,
    I never met you, but if I could tell you this trully was sad day for me. I have seen a lot of people come and go in my life time, and I have seen how different people affect others spiritually, physically and emotionally but.....................Never have I seen any human like you, you were a natural, only wanting not demanding nothing but honesty and respect back from PEOPLE while living, sadly to say U got so much more of what you wanted after his death. I wished he (Micheal) could see he made a profound difference in a lot of people life all over the World. It is truly a sad time for me.

June 27, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  37. Vik Martine

I think anyone who sees this Jackson news as 'overkill', need only to look for the millions of 'other' news articles elsewhere; its like complaining they're getting wet while standing in their yard in the rain. They don't HAVE TO be in this section of the site. Just for the record, Michael not only inspired others (particularly wealthy peers) to contribute/distribute their wealth across many charities, but he was a quiet philanthropist, too. I agree about Lisa Marie: she didn't mind going on Oprah and mocking Michael at the time (guilt can come back to bite you) although she did admit she knew he could never molest a child. People laughed at LaToya for her behavior with her money-grubbing cretin of a husband, yet they still chose to accept her awful accusations against her own brother. The fact that she recanted her comments seems unimportant to those just 'looking' to justify their hateful unnecessary remarks. I also don't know why more 'play' isn't given to the Jordan Chandler story if others seem eager to hold up the negative stories about Michael; what's wrong with that picture? I've read where Michael is called a "perv", etc., yet these charges have NEVER been proven; what has been proven is that Chandler's father threatened the extortion, a psychiatrist came forward to say the child was co-erced (but the mighty Mz. Allred chose to ignore that), and that ALL of the parents looking to extort money with such disgusting allegations turned out to be lowlifes in their own right, willing to wipe their slimy slates clean with money instead of justice for their supposedly-abused children. hmm .. And anyone in business understands if you're in an industry that can pull in millions but you have to be able to leave the country to get those millions, you would 'settle' too - especially if it was a drop in the bucket at the time, you have contractual obligations and, above all, YOU know you didn't do anything wrong. Yes, Michael was eccentric and even over-the-top at times. He was stubborn when it came to keeping children out of his life because he felt there was nothing to be ashamed of; when he made comments like "What's wrong with a child sleeping in your bed?' the words are more often than not taken out of the context of the entire interview, or even paragraph. But even that still doesn't make someone guilty of wrong-doings hyped by the press to sell papers. There is so much more to say and I hate having to condense my points so I will end this now saying 5 things: Let he who is within sin cast the first stone; pray/hope that you or loved ones are never wrongly accused of anything; I hope Michael finally gets to rest in peace with people managing to be just a tad more respectful because, like him or not, many OTHERS still feel the pain of loss - would you stop in a funeral parlor and say "Okay, people! Just get over it!"? - remember he also has children who may read your words someday; and I offer my deepest sympathy to his family, friends, and fans. Vaya con Dios, Michael.

June 27, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  38. joanne

As a Canadian, I have watched America assist in Michael Jackson's self destruction over the past ten years. Now that he has passed everyone in America now reflects and realizes what an INCREDIBLE MAN he was?? This should have been emphasized throughout his career. The love that has been poured out now should have occured while he was still with us – ESPECIALLY during the last ten years of his life when he needed us. There is no doubt in my mind that if he knew the love that he had surrounding him at home (AMERICA) he would still be with us today and not turn to prescription drugs as an escape! I believe that other countries (other than America) always realized what an honest, loving and wonderful person he was and they continuously supported him in good times and in bad ...where you (America) NEGLECTED him... I hold AMERICA personally responsible for Michael's death. SHAME ON YOU AMERICA!!

June 27, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  39. Todd

I am shocked at how much the Death of Michael Jackson is affecting me. I'm immobilized with grief and sadness.
    I grew up watching him grow up, because I am only six years younger than he was. I went to his concert, grew up fanaticizing that my moves were so good that he would include me in one of his tours, thought I could sing as well as he could, and loved everything he did. Your typical Idol worship.

But in his later years when he, in the very least, let himself become vulnerable to the attacks of those who would like to exploit him and his powerful position as a celebrity, became less than an Idol to me, and "I moved on because suddenly he was human." So I thought...

Now I am sitting here watching every program I can in an effort to somehow keep him alive, or somehow understand what the heck happened. I guess I really didn't move on.
    He's just another celebrity that died tragically. I'm just another irrational fan trying to wrap my head around the loss of the most world-wide known entity in history. Someone who, because of so much media coverage of his life, subconsciously, became my fried that never knew me. Just like everyone else, I know so much about Michel Jackson, In my mind I feel like if I were to "run into him on the street" he would say "hey what’s up?" I know...delusional.

All of this is an unexpected reaction on my part! I thought I was beyond all of this. I'm not...
    Goodbye Mike.

June 27, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  40. Traruh Synred

Enough already with Michael Jackson!

Can't you guys walk (Iran) and chew gum (Jackson) at the same time?

Your obsession with Jackson has knocked the bloody crack down in Iran off the air. All that killing, beating, kicking out journalist, etc by the Iranian government has not been as effective as Jackson's death in suppressing the Iran story.

You have many hours to fill .. can't you find time for real new?

-Traruh

June 27, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  41. Alana Dorsey

MICHAEL JACKSON WAS TRULY A AMAZING MAN. HE HEALED THE WORLD THROUGH HIS MUSIC AND THOURGH HIS GIVING. HE HEALED THE WORLD THROUGH HIS MUSIC BY WRITING "HEAL THE WORLD" AND CO-WRITING "WE ARE THE WORLD". HE ALSO HEALED THE WORLD BY HIS GIVING. AND HE DID THIS BY GIVING HIS TIME AND HIS MONEY TO HELP THE CHILDREN OF THE WORLD TO HAVE A BETTER LIFE. HE MAY NOT HAD A CHILDHOOD. BUT HE DIDNT WANT THE SAME TO HAPPEN TO THE MANY DIFFERNET CHILDREN OF THE WORLD. THAT IS WHY MICHAEL GAVE SO MUCH OF HIM SELF. SO IF KNOW BODY ELSE DID ANYTHING THEN HE WOULD HAVE MADE A HUGH IMPACT ON THOSE CHILDREN LIVES. I AM WRITING THIS LETTER TO GIVE MY RESPECT TO MICHAEL'S FAMILY AND TO HIS 3 WONDERFUL CHILDREN. EVEN THOUGH MICHAEL IS NOT ALIVE ON THIS EARTH HE IS STILL SHARING HIS LOVE WITH EVERYBODY. AND I WANT TO SAY TO THE WORLD THAT MICHAEL DID NOT DIED WITH OUT FIRST GIVING THE WORLD A PIECE OF HIM. I LOVE YOU MICHAEL JACKSON AND MAY YOUR SPIRIT BE WITH US ALWAYS. I ALSO SO WANT TO SAY GOD DONT TAKE BAD PEOPLE INTO HIS KINGDOM. HE TAKES THE BEST ONES. AND MICHAEL IS TRULY THE BEST. I LOVE YOU KING OF POP, ROCK AND SOUL. WE WILL ALL MISS YOU.

June 27, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  42. BEVERLY KITE

i would like to send my prayer to michael jackson family and tell them my was love by god first and second by his fans he is very well loved and i hope he knew that when i heard he had died my heart seem like it stop and then the tears i really love him like he was part of my family michael you will be missed R I P YOU HAVE NO MORE WORRIES

June 27, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  43. Patricia Mejias

I am 51 years old and grew up listening to Michael Jackson. I really feel like I lost a family member because my heart still aches. I keep positive thoughts though because Michael is in Heaven now. Instead of the Moonwalk – he's dancing with the angels the "Heaven Walk"...

Rest in Peace Michael, I will always love you.

June 27, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  44. Diane from California

I was very sad when I first heard, but now I am so proud to have been touched by such a great man and his music.

Regardless of the negativity, you cannot ever take away his talent and his fame, and his legacy.

For those who thinks it is too much, Elvis and John Lennon got theirs, give Mr. Michael Jackson his.

June 27, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  45. Mary Ann Gentile

I think that you're doing a good job covering the story of Michael Jackson, but how about Farrah Fawcett – she died the same day, but your not mentioning anything about her!!!

June 27, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  46. Andrea D. Robinson

Wow! Michael Jackson is gone, it's too shocking to relize. But I want to thank you Michael for all the lovely music and entertainment you have given to me. You were an inspiration to me during my childhood. No one can ever replace you and your music will live on forever. God Bless You "Smelly"! Rest in Peace. Your fan since 1968. Andrea D. Robinson, Harlem, New York.

June 27, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  47. Sharon Poitier

"Never Can Say Goodbye, no no no"
    I've been a fan ever since I heard the Jackson Five for the first time in August, 1970. MJ was only three months older than me so I feel that we've grown up together.

He was a brilliant talent whose legend will never die...
    So sad that he never found peace in life...praying that he's found it in death.

GONE TOO SOON MJ GONE TOO SOON

June 27, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  48. Yolanda

Michael !ackson and the Jackson five were a big part of my childhood. He was my first crush, my first lip sync, the first poster put on my wall, my first concert. I am 44, th Jacksons were the first time I as a child had my own music. I will always love him for his talent and also all of the special childhhood memories that I hold dear. Rest in peace. Michael. I will always love you.

June 27, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  49. Carl Ralston

My prayers go out to Michael's family and closest friends. I have been a fan of Michael Jackson since I was a kid in the 1970s and was shocked by his death. As an adult I was inspired by so many of his songs like "Man in the Mirror." It is great to see CNN pay tribute and respect to this great performer.

Glad to to see BERRY Gordy (not BARRY), Smokey Robinson, and other Motown luminaries on CNN - but what about Diana Ross? I'd love to see Larry King interview Diana on Michael's passing as they were very close and she was so instrumental in his career.

June 27, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  50. Dawn (Canada)

Do you really need to know where his items are going? Is this part of the news? By being nosey like this you are just creating more mass gatherings. His family needs privacy now to sort things out and to grieve properly. We've all lost a great person who gave to the world. Let's respect that...please!

June 27, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  51. Linda White

My question is why the doctor at Mcheal's home.had know idea of cpr

dont that sound weird to you. about him being on the bed not on the floor?

June 27, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  52. Mary

Michael Jackson was a great performer, people all around the world loved him, but CNN is reporting on the unnecessary things instead of celebrating the man's life. There is no respect in today's media. Let his family morn his deaf, and stop going into things like how much in debt he was. Micheal Jackson will be missed GREATLY!

June 27, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  53. Jennifer Nazzal

Perhaps the reason for the moving vans is the fact that Michael Jackson was renting the property for $100,000.00 a month and today's already the 27th, so they're moving out quickly to save paying next month's rent!!!!!!

June 27, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  54. Jennifer

Perhaps the reason for the moving vans is the fact that Michael Jackson was renting the property for $100,000.00 a month and with him and the children no longer there they would try to move everything out before the end of the month to avoid paying next month's rent.

June 27, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  55. Jones E The Entertainer

Jones E says.. " You never know when your time is going to come. However for the time that you are here on this earth know that here is a time for everything. Laughing, crying and dancing. If you are well in your body and still have a piece of mind, I encourage you to DANCE like there is no tomorrow. Have fun and enjoy life! Michael Jackson you will be loved and missed, but know that we as your fans are still here. May God take care of your soul. You were truly The Greatest Entertainer ever!"

~ Jones E

*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​R.​I.​P.​ Michael Jackson 1958-​2009*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​*​***
    (There is a song on Jones E's profile that is titled 'I'm Still HOTT" that will be on his debut album due out late this summer. Jones E is dedicating his entire debut album to the Memory of Michael Jackson. To find out the name of the album and to hear the titled hit song "I'm Still HOTT" please visit :myspace.com/jonese2u)
    ***************************************************************************
    p.s. Jones E had written the song "I'm Still HOTT" late 2007 and wanted to get it out there and to get in contact with Michael so he can hear how his Music inspired him to be him
    self in spite of what others may say or do. Jones E just released the song a week ago on MySpace, So only God knows timing.

June 27, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  56. Kathie Wright

For Joann the Canadian......who holds America responsible for his death is ridiculous. Remember Joann he was American and lived in America and while there are many people that say horrible things – that is worldwide and did not come near to the millions of us Americans that adored him (and I know it is worldwide too)! Do not start a Canada vs America ..... it is disrespectful to his memory.
    Michael Jackson, fortunately for us will live forever in his music , film and his videos! He not only was the King of Pop but a true humanitarian for all. And may we ALL learn a lesson from him of compassion and love!

June 27, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  57. tennise lee

cpr cannot be performed on a bed. shouldn't a cardiologist know this?

June 27, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  58. judy hickmon

It hurts my heart to see the King Of Pop gone to be with the Lord. I know he is at peace from all hurt from the people who hurt his heart and name. If anyone kill him the people and the media. My prayers go out to the Jackson Family and his children. I grow up with M.J and listen to this music. Mama Jackson take care your baby is resting. May God Be With Yall.

June 27, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  59. Charlotte Milson

I love Michael Jackson ever since he started singing. I am 3 years older than he is. I want to see him and his brothers in concert in Baton Rouge, LA and we could not get it. It was sold out of course. I have pulled out my old albums. My two children ages 17 and 14 are fans because of myself. I played his music often. I have a question? How much contact did MIchael have with any member of his family? As a parent, with all of the technology in today's society. there is no excuse not to be able to keep in touch with anyone. The moment Michael started changing physically, or getting in trouble, etc., I would have stayed in contact with him or his people constantly. Or else, I would have threatened him or his people that I would have gone public to find my son and let me know what is going on with him. I don't care if he would have liked it or not, I believe in doing anything to save a life even if I have to embarass you. I wouldn't want to live with if I shoulda, woulda, coulda. It may not seem easy to do, but I would. I have sat my with my 2 kids and explained to them keep in touch with me or else. I am coming looking for you just like the mother on the Imitation of Life! That is a promise I plan to keep. I can't get away from the television. There will never be anyone else in this lifetime.

June 27, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  60. Martin in Shoreline, WA

I am really having trouble understanding all of the fawning over Michael Jackson. Furthermore, I cannot understand why the word "shocking" is constantly used. How can anyone pretend to be surprised by this? This man was certifiably insane. You don't have to look further than his horribly disfigured face to see that.

And to blame this on his parents? Particularly his Dad? We have grown to be such sniveling pansies in this country. The vast majority of Americans will not take responsibility for anything they do. Most of us had parents who were hard on us. And most of us are better people for it. How do you explain complete psychos who were raised without any violence? There are plenty of them out there. Jeffrey Dahmer comes to mind.

Just stop it, before it is too late. We do the same thing with 9/11. Everyone seems to be shocked by what happened on this tragic day as well. Why am I so alone? You cannot make the third world work for slave wages making t-shirts for fat Americans, and not expect 9/11 to be the result. The oppressed always rise up against their oppressors. And they usually come to opress someone themselves. Al Sharpton is a good example of this, as is what Israel is doing to the Palestinians.

Wake up America. Fat, lazy Americans are responsible for 9/11; and Michael Jackson is responsible for every bad thing that has happened in his life as well. Including his life ending. His Dad is responsible for his success, not his demise.

June 27, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  61. Angela Savage Austin

When I look into my eyes their is a mirror reflection of humanity once celebrated by a vision of of nature, in harmony. It all seems heavenly and perfect created in God's image . I see God's Spirit... we call Life. Michael Jackson's song "Man In The Mirror" reminds me of the eyes of every man, woman and child. Looking inward reminding us from whence we come. It reminds me of a life denied by our choices...our hands...kept safe in our eyes if ever we need to find our way and give rebirth of a special gift from God...to seek to own once again, what was given freely to us. I see how everything resembles everything else, even microscopically. The tress, sky, heavens, stars, planets waters of the earth...and the life within. It all looks alike in some creative way. Even the vegetables I eat look like all above. Why is it so difficult for "The Man In The Mirror" to celebrate this special gift we all call Life.

June 27, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  62. Priya

Thank you for showing so much coverage on Michael Jackson.It brought back so many memories of my childhood.I had forgotten how much I really loved him.Can't stop crying.I suppose he is the Elvis Presley of our generation.I feel like I have lost a part of my life.I'm listening to his music and remembering him.May He rest in peace.

June 27, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  63. Amari

I AM 8 YEARS OLD AND MICHAEL JACKSON INSPIRED ME IN LIFE. I WISH I COULD HAVE WENT TO ONE OF HIS CONCERTS. I'LL STILL CAN'T DO THE MOONWALK. I LOVE HIM VERRRY MUCHHHHHH I LOVE YOU MJ.

June 27, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  64. Angela Savage Austin

Why was living a life on stage more sincere for Michael, than a life among "THE NORMAL" us? I don't think Michael was any crazier than the rest of us...he had to seek a life on stage that was not available to him off stage... what is truly missing in our everyday lives...is love. Money seems to be OUR GOD!...and now that this has faded, we are left to be with ourselves. He is a mirrored reflection of who and what we all are truly like and where our treasures LIE. Look in the mirror and see what is looking back at you. I did...it scared me!!!

June 27, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  65. Tanya

I feel like a piece of me is gone with the death of Michael Jackson. It all just doesn't seem real to me. There will never be aother artist like him. He has given so much to the music industry industry.

I hope he is happy and at peace now. I pray that his family will heal and grow stronger from all this.

Michael Jackson we love you!!!

June 27, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  66. hasna

Michael jackson is the iconic figure of our lifetime. I came to the US from Morocco( North Africa) to live the American dream that Michael Jackson had inspired me to dream at about 9 years old, (it was to understand his songs that I first learned English for, and it was him that empowered me to better my life) needless to say he changed my life forever.

Michael embodied the possibility of dreaming big and achieving. His songs were the soundtrack to many lives, his dancing was like a dream and we all felt like we' ve been on the moon dancing.

Michael Jackson also embodied a generous soul who cared deeply about all of us around the globe. He always wanted to show us hope, love and oneness.
    We as fans will always keep his legacy alive by dancing to his angelic melodies, and passing them on to new generations. Michael, we love you forever.

June 27, 2009 at 9:15 pm |
  67. Debbie Seay

This is like a bad dream. I can not sleep since this has happened. I never got to meet Michael in person but when he died it felt as if a family member has passed it really was a shock even though i have never saw him in person or anything i still have lots of love for him and may he now have peace.

June 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  68. carline

I would like to know where did michael jackson personal doctor went and why would the doctor get a loyer if he didn't have nothing to do with michael jackson death?I was a fan of michael jackson sence I was a little girl I love his music when i heard michael jackson die i was so shock i can't not believe that was happend to him . all my thought go to the family and my love.

June 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  69. kaye

Enough already about Michael Jackson. Please let the poor guy have a quiet dignified funeral. You have covered his death as you have done presidents. We, your cnn viewers, have had enough. There is other news out there, I am sure.

June 28, 2009 at 7:52 am |
  70. Katina Rogers

The story with Gov. Sanford has me marching around my home – I am mad! To leave the state with no leadership for several days is impeachable. To leave his darling 4 boys on Father's Day is unforgiveable. Public officials seemingly fight "tooth and nail" to get voted in to office - then they do things like this to escape the pressures of the job.
    It is obvious he can not make sound decisions regarding his own family, how can he be trusted to make decisions regarding the best interest of his constituents? I applaud his wife - he needs to step down from public service - he's proven that he does not know what that means.

June 28, 2009 at 8:53 am |
  71. margaret

STOP THE COVERAGE ON MICHAEL. THIS IS CRAZY ......

June 28, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  72. SHELIA

QUIT THE COVERAGE ON MICHAEL IT IS JUST TOO MUCH. I CAN'T BELEIVE THE COVERAGE.

June 28, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  73. jusmethatsall

to bill alvarez..... who asked what did MJ to help the world....

you don't know much about MJ. if you did you would NOT have made that statement....

MJ was the world leader in philanthropic endeavors having given money to several cancer, children's organizations, AIDS (remember the WE ARE THE WORLD video/song), and other charities.

who can google to find out more. you DO know about GOOGLE don't you?

June 28, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  74. Erika Bodden

Michael's music is the soundtrack to my life; thus, Michael himself became part of my life. The moment after I heard his death was confirmed, I felt so shaken...off kilter...sad...angry...broken. I feel I have encountered a devastating loss of someone who has comforted me in ways no one else has. His music filtered out all the heartache of my most difficult times and left me feeling revived. His soul was so full of passion, and he was an inspiration to me. Michael's music will always be a part of me. He means so much to me, and I will love him always.

June 28, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  75. Tammy R. Smith

I remember Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, and Janet Jackson from their very earliest appearances. I remember the times when LaToya, their parents, and all of them, have been on tv. I feel like I've grown up with them, because I have. I've been in a daze since this happened. To me, it's very surreal. I've been trying to figure out a way to express how it feels, and I believe I've finally found it. It's like being in some kind of weird, twisted parallel universe, in another dimension, in which Michael doesn't exist, yet I know that he does. It seems like if I can find a way out of this strange dimension, and get back to the real world, the normal world, that Michael will still be here. Over the years, through all of his changes, his trials and tribulations, and knowing that there were things going on in his life and mind which made him not feel good about himself, I wish that I could have shielded him somehow...covered him, protected him. I wish I could have let him know that he was fine just the way he was. I hope he knew how much everyone really loved and cared about him. It's so strange knowing that he isn't around anymore. I hope that nobody who is connected to this situation does anything, even something unintentional, to hurt his children. I hope the best for his entire family, and for all of his fans who also loved him very much. We're all in this together.

June 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  76. malin

Thank you Michael for the music and everything you have given to us.I will love you always.

June 30, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  77. Jenna Holliman

For Michael
    Your life shrouded in mystery
    You take your place in history

Not quite a man, more like a boy
    You'd spend your days with kids and toys...

The king of pop, a superstar
    But when you fell you did fall far.

A lost childhood, a life of pain
    You lost your innnocence to fame.

Just when we thought you'd gone away
    You said you would come back to play.

You were a quiet gentle soul
    Only a few would truly know.

As thousands mourn upon your grave
    We won't forget "THE LOVE YOU SAVE".

As millions hang our heads to cry
    We "NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE".

July 1, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  78. Arthur

California is worried about who is going to pay for Michael Jackson’s funeral? How much revenue is he brining them, pulling them out of there Debt!! They should be paying him!

July 3, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  79. Diane from the Beach

Growing up in Miami Beach, my best friend's family had a cabana at the Fontainebleau hotel. During the Christmas holidays in 1970 (I was fifteen) we were hanging around the Teen Room, killing time while the grownups did their thing by the pool. A skinny, extremely shy black kid was by himself by a pinball machine in the back of the overwhelmingly noisy room. His solitude was more pronounced juxtaposed against the crowd, the lights, the chaos of the room. I was a rather complicated teen myself, a cutter long before it was a diagnosed ailment prevalent among dysfunctional female adolescents. I gravitated to the youngster.

It was Michael Jackson. He was so sweet, so accessible. We talked for hours - about the experience of being exceptional and isolated as a result (I was somewhat of a prodigy as a kid) - always on the outside looking in. His family's band was a big success, but nothing compared to what he was to become. Years later, when his album "Off the Wall" came out (I have the original vinyl to this day) I was in a particularly bad patch – succumbing to the excesses of the very early eighties. I remembered our conversations from the 1970/71 holiday season and was comforted. To this day, when I feel a bit of a disconnect with my peers I remember Michael's words and the poignance of his bittersweet success at such a young age and I appreciate the cost of great accomplishment. Godspeed on your journey, Michael.

July 6, 2009 at 7:08 pm |
  80. cheri haynes

you will be missed,we love you
    rest in peace micheal