Today on CNN Newsroom

June 28th, 2009

Mourning a Music Icon

Michael Jackson fans... airing their grief... sharing their memories.

CNN's Susan Roesgen has one mourner's story.

CNN is monitoring developments in the Michael Jackson case.
Join TJ Holmes and Betty Nguyen in the CNN Newsroom, beginning 6am ET/3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. don

you have worn out the Jackson story at the expense of reporting the news...........................change your name to CN, the News part has disappeared over the past 24 hours......................

June 28, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  2. Mark Viera

No one in the world had brought people together from all races with his music like Michael Jackson may his legacy live on and I hope up and coming artist in the music industrie will keep his legacy alive my his soul rest in peace.

June 28, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  3. Karen

Oh get over it already. The media is covering Jackson's death with a level of insanity rarely seen to avoid real discussion on how our govt.
    votes us down the road to massive, never to recover debt.

To prove my point, yesterday CNN said Jackson was a great business man. Sure, being in debt the level he was in, yep, great business man. Heck he owed a pharmacy $100,000+ for drugs and millions upon millions to other creditors. Why do you think he was going back on tour. Just because you could once sing and dance, you do not deserve this much coverage.

CNN, ABC, NBC and CBS are are communicating misinformation and distorting the news to control YOU the viewer to make you think that debt is ok among other insane things. At the level that the gov't is financing our future and the media outlets are going along with the BS surrounding the govt logic in doin so, govt. will tax the working people to death through the haze of healthcare, Cap and trade (clean energy).

It is all an excuse to get more money from the people. WAKE UP!

June 28, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  4. Steve From Ft Lauderdale Fl

It seems to me that the LA police droped the ball again by not sending any officers along with paramedics to secure the scene, Why was this doctor and who knows who allowed to leave that property.

June 28, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  5. Nicholas

This morning I woke up feeling very depressed. For the past 3 days I can only summarize that I was in shock, and today the reality hit me. A feeling that the world is an emptier place. A thread that helps us to make sense of this world we live in has been broken. Michael Jackson was that thread regardless if our feelings for him were positive or negative. Michael was a part of all our lives for good or bad. My heart aches today for the loss of such an amazing and talented man and I cannot even begin to imagine the suffering his family and close friends are feeling. May God Bless Michael and his Family during this tragic loss. I cry for all of them.

June 28, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  6. Ryan S.

I think the coverage being given to Michael Jackson is valid and just; however the insistence of CNN to give preference to one particular person over the million in Iran fighting for democracy is a far greater tragedy than the death of one. These protests only continue so long as the rest of the world is watching so for their sakes I hope coverage will soon return to their sacrifices and struggles rather than prolonging coverage of the father of Pop music Michael Jackson.

June 28, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  7. Micah B

He was beyond amazing. We can never keep the great ones with us long. Even though I never got the chance to meet him, I knew he was out there somewhere dancing or singing, or simply breathing and now that that is gone, my heart his broken. I love him no less because he is gone. My heart has exploded with emotion and if possible, I love him more.....R.I.P Love.....

June 28, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  8. AB HUNNICUTT

CNN News must be desperate for news to take 48 hours to discuss nothing else but the death of Michael Jackson....PLEASE...give journalism a better name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 28, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  9. Sabrina In Las Vegas, LA bound

I just heard Joe Jackson's statement about having custody of Michael's children....I think Michael is screaming in Heaven right now...NO!

Remember he said he suffered great abuse at the hands of that father and I guarantee when they read his will it will state that he "doesn't want his children to suffer" like he did at the hands of him fathers abuse.

I think someone needs to read that and CPS needs to move those children...there is enough proof that that is not a good home for them....another relative, yes, the grandfather/Michael's father...NO.

June 28, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  10. malette

I think that CNN has done a Wonderful Job covering Michael Jackson. Keep up the good work Don. You've done an excellent job of covering the life and death of a Legend, who was apart of so many peoples lives. He transcended the whole planet. God Bless you Michael, We all miss you terribly and wish that you were still here with us.

June 28, 2009 at 9:27 pm |
  11. dawn

I think that alot of fans besides myself must be outraged..Joseph Jackson has been, as said by Michael, abusive both emotionally and physically to Michael and his brothers..especially Michael. It has been again by Michael that he used to make fun of his appearance, which caused him to the insecurities that resulted in plastic surgery. And over and over has been basically personified as a monster by all of the Jackson siblings. And here, before Michael is even buried, is at the BET awards in the front row representing the "Jackson Family". I think it's disgusting. It is obvious that he tried to live his dreams through Michael. Being in the media right now is just giving him attention that he is undeserving of. It would have been more appropriate for him to stop in for a few minutes and make a statement, then go home with the rest of his family who appropriately still mourns the brother and son they loved. Party on Joe.. you are a disgrace

June 28, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  12. Maxine

Thank you for your coverage of the Michael Jackson story, in all its glory and its sadness. He is a light that was surely put out much too soon.

June 28, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  13. Maxine

Joe Jackson should be ashamed of himself – promoting his business on the heels of his son's death. Where is his soul?

June 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Ted

Michael Jackson was a successful music artist. But let's not get carried away. Yes, he did make the best selling album of all time, but he didn't have nearly the longevity of bands like the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and at least a dozen solo artists like Madonna, Garth Brooks, Mariah Carey, etc... In the end, his life story is a sad one of someone who never felt right in his own skin, who lived in a fantasy world, and had an at minimum, alarmingly inappropriate desire for close relationships with young boys. The fact is that he's been in the news more in the last 20 years for his strange behaviors than for an musical accomplishment. Let's get out of the cloud or nieve nastalgia and focus our attention back to things that matter in our lives like the economy, health care, and holding our politicians accountable for making all of our problems worse than they already were.

June 29, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  15. Lisa

Obviously those who feel Michael gets too much media attention don't understand the loss that this is to the artist world. As if we don't have enough news about politics, riots, etc etc I am not in America and every news channel in my country is televising everything they can. And fans of Michael Jackson in other countries where friends reside. Are you saying governments are hiding everywhere? Nonsense!

Give respect where respect is due, the world has lost an icon. Who else will ever touch as many peoples' lives worldwide in the art world again?

Michael broke all borders of culture, colour and country.
    A feat few if any, accomplish in a lifetime of only 50 years.
    R.I.P. Michael and know that you are loved.

June 29, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  16. Farah

JOE JACKSON IS NOT EVEN SAD !
    AND THE WHOLE WORLD IS ... WHAT KIND OF "FATHER" IS HE?
    IN THE INTERVIEW .. HE DIDN'T EVEN MENTION THAT MICHAEL WAS HIS SON ... POOR MICHAEL. UR NOW IN HANDS OF GOD AND IN PARADISE HOPEFULLY ❤
    RIP AND I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER WHERE YOU ARE

June 29, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  17. ASR

cellohones are off at the moment in Iran again, tonight the government will declare the results from last 5-days that they took time to go through the votes again!

June 29, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  18. MEd Teacher

I must agree with the person who said that Michael Jackson is bigger than God. Not to say he is better or more powerful, but is more followed, loved, and acknowledged. First of all, this world has proven incapable of putting aside our differences and working as one to fight hunger, or poverty, or pollution, or AIDS, or terrorism, as Michael urged us all to do, to unify as one HUMAN race regardless of race religion or other, to solve our common problems, yet we can all come together in our love for Michael Jackson and to mourn him as one unified sorrowful force. There is no religion in this world with unified members that can come together in the numbers that Michael Jackson fans have continued to over the decades. He is the most recognized name, face, figure in the history of the world, only after Jesus Christ himself. He has continued to send a message of love and compassion, to give of himself, and to love those who persecuted him and to pray for them. He worked to live by Jesus’ example and to be an example for his fans to the best of his ability, although no one is perfect, he used his money (he gave over 300 million of his OWN personal money to charity in his lifetime) and power to change the lives of millions. I know many people personally who would not be alive today had it not been for Michael and his influence, myself included. There is even an organized religion of over 100,000 people who believe that Michael is the messiah! I am a Christian (thanks to Michael’s influence as a child) and do not believe he is the messiah, but there are people who believe it whole heartedly because he truly tried to live a life that was acceptable to God. He was thankful for the many blessings he had received and tried to help others to have faith. I pray his message, vision, and purpose are not lost in the media lies and hate that many have created for him. His good deeds go widely unnoticed as he did not seek praise for his works. His great dream was a world children’s holiday where people show their respect and honor for children and childhood. I hope this dream will be realized in his memory. Michael was chosen by God to make a difference here, and I believe he did, in fact more than any one other person in history. Oh and yeah he was also a talented entertainer… too bad that’s the only part most people will ever know. I pray he will find the peace in death that no one would allow him in life.

June 29, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  19. malin

Michael derserves all the media coverage he is getting.I will say i wish they would focus more on the man his music and humanitarian efforts rather than all the negatives.I just want to hear about how great he was .That other stuff i don't care about.

June 30, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  20. JimmyBean

I don't know If I said it already but ...Excellent site, keep up the good work. I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I'm glad I found your blog. Thanks, 🙂

A definite great read..Jim Bean