Today on CNN Newsroom

July 11th, 2009

Busy Morning Ahead in the CNN Newsroom...

President Obama woke up this morning in Accra, Ghana, on his first visit as President to Sub-Saharan Africa. He's scheduled to speak to Parliament this morning. We're carrying it live.

A Chicago-area cemetery where corpses were allegedly unearthed so the plots could be resold is declared a crime scene. How does that affect relatives trying to determine if their loved one's graves were desecrated?

An Iranian-American is under arrest in Tehran, following weeks of post-election protests. We'll have an update.

And TJ Holmes sits down with NAACP President Ben Jealous to discuss the status and progress of the oldest civil rights organization in the nation.

Join us in the CNN Newsroom with Betty Nguyen and TJ Holmes, beginning 6am ET/3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: In the Newsroom
  1. Wendell G. Boulware,MD

TJ,
    The NAACP demands almost 50 percent of the annual revenue taken in from each local chapter. It is difficult for a chapter to operate when its finances are being sifted away each year by the national group.The NAACP is also unable to provide legal assistance for individual citizens. They concentrate on national concerns. For this reason many choose not to join. It has become a group which debates grass roots issues to establish policy. It will not actually assist working people who need help. Its focus has simply changed.
    Sincerely,
    W.Boulware.

July 11, 2009 at 6:36 am |
  2. Scott Stodden

Happy Saturday TJ & Betty I love you both so much on CNN Newsroom Weekend Edition, I look forward to you both every weekend. I wanted to say how honored and proud Iam of President Obama and the First Family's visit to Ghana, truly this is history in the making to see an African American President visiting an African nation. I know from watching CNN that the people of Ghana are so excited and the Kenyans should not hold it against President Obama for not going to Kenya, he is extremley busy and has his reasons for going to Ghana. Also Iam so deeply disturbed by the breaking story of the cemetary in Illinois where there reselling burial plots, this is such a tradgedy and my hearts and prayers go out to the families affected.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,IL)

July 11, 2009 at 6:38 am |
  3. John B. Freeman, Jr.

I am surprised that the news coverage’s of President Obama trip to Ghana is somehow spend as his first trip to Africa. Was Egypt removed from the continent? Come on…

July 11, 2009 at 7:39 am |
  4. monica rich

So cool that you are covering the events in Ghana today with President Obama. None of the other news stations are covering. Go CNN!!

July 11, 2009 at 8:34 am |
  5. Marsha

Why are you all talking over the Ghanaian introduction of President Obama? Americans are interested in hearing what they have to say!

July 11, 2009 at 8:45 am |
  6. Ebenezer ODame

Thanks CNN for bringing live the activities of President,s speech in Ghana. However, couldn't you wait after the activity before bringing in the commentator {International correspondent}? The commentary actually took a lot of fun out of the activity. Quite a lot were missed by viewers.

July 11, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  7. Rachel Bross

I hope CNN continues to keep visibility on the issue with the Valley Club in Huntingdon Valley.

This morning your team reported that the president of the club had delivered an apology – what I've heard was not an apology – and no acceptance of responsibility.

I'm concerned that this will go away and it should not. The issue is not just the president of the club, it is also the parents.

As a white, upper middle class woman I am so angered by the behavior of my "peers", what a bunch of jerks.

The entire membership of that swim club owns those children a sincere, heart felt apology. This type of incident will still with those kids and forever influence their willingness to trust whites, there will now be a little hesitation because their faith has been smashed.

Those adults have a responsibility to do the best they can to repair the damage they've done.

Please don't let this matter fade away so that these people, the adults and the children, are taught that no one really thinks this is a big deal.

Rachel Bross.

July 11, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  8. Jannah

I was highly disappointed with the coverage CNN gave President Obama's visit to Ghana. When he arrived they had a very small screen up in the corner of the screen while they featured some minor program in detroit on CNN international. Had he been visiting a european country he would have had extensive coverage not to mention the poor transmission when they actually decided to report his address to parliament the next day. I had to go on-line to watch it on sky and bbc. These are some of the examples of CNN's biases and a lack of international interest outside of what directly benefits americans.

July 11, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  9. Patrick Hunter

It is very important that you make it clear that the people who were held in the dungeons were NOT slaves but Africans who were enslaved – enslaved Africans. That distinction is important.

July 11, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  10. sonja moore

I've never had the honor to visit El Mina, but have been to numerous underground railroad sites in the US and Canada...these are equally as moving.

I think it's so interesting to hear white people trying to describe or understand what it feels like to experience the souls of slaves...the ancestors.

Maybe now they can understand why seeing Obama elected means so much...why losing someone like Michael Jackson hurt so much...why Martin, Malcolm and others mean so much. The Black experience is riddled with so much pain and oppression...seeing Obama return home as the leader of the land of our greatest oppression feels victorious!

July 11, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  11. Dave

I'm not sure how I feel about the taxpayers paying for the President's mother-in-law to go on a one week international trip, all expenses paid.

July 11, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  12. Parnell

I am excited that CNN is covering Obama's trip to Ghana. I had the pleasure in traveling to Ghana two years ago. I visited the Cape Coast where Obama is today. My experience was wonderful and a fullfillment . I went thru the door of NO Return but it time that people return and experience Africa....The Ghanians are great people.

Parnell

July 11, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  13. Phil, georgia

Its beautiful to see our wisdom in picking an intelligent, wise,loving President taking fruit across the world. It brings joy to my heart and tears to my eyes to see how Africans embrace our President and inturn our country.

We should all, feel very proud and expect abundant fruit when we make wise choices as we have done, not based on race but the content of character.

July 11, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  14. Karen

Violence is not the answer. I lost my only child in Columbus GA all because another child took his life. I hurts us ALL-nobody get involved until the matter hits home. The justice system is disappointing us- in my case my son was shot in his back as he walked away from a confrontation with another one -both had guns but he WALKED away ...does that tell you he wanted to kill- guess he thought he did not give life why take it but all of us don't think the same.... personally I think you take someone life you should be prepared to give yours....worst of all my hard earned tax dollars support my son's killer in every way..why kids should have access to guns in the first place? Why should a killer/murderer have rights.....ONLY IN AMERICA?

July 11, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  15. BlueCornMoon

The main cause I can see is that PARENTS DON'T RAISE CHILDREN RIGHT anymore.Too much permissiveness & "children's rights".There's no respect for authority,no manners, & no consideration for others. Kids call child protective services if their parents try to discipline them in any way. Today's kids have neither shame nor fear of adult authority. Granted there've always been bad kids but I'm a teacher & have seen things get worse in my 35 yr career. Adults have not stepped up to the plate like they used to.Many kids grow up in single parent homes & never have a dad,homes that are unstable & where no adult has ever been married or committed to their kids' welfare.Children witness violence at home,parents defend their bad kids at school,rich parents get lawywers to get their bad kids out of trouble,school districts blame teachers for everything & don't hold parents accountable when their kid is suspended multiple times & they don't cooperate with school discipline procedures. Our culture glorifies violence,the powerful NRA lobbies against any kind of gun control & you put all this together & you have one big noxious stew of violence. LOTS of my former students are now dead or in jail because of it.

July 11, 2009 at 4:39 pm |