Today on CNN Newsroom

July 16th, 2009

Fixing computers a world away

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/files/2009/07/ghana_bestbuy1.jpg caption=""][cnn-photo-caption image=http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/files/2009/07/ghana_bestbuy4.jpg caption=""]

Seth Owusu is a computer technician for Geek Squad, the computer repair team in the Best Buy Stores. It is after his long work days fixing computers, that he makes his greatest repair. Seth runs Entire Village Computer Organization (EVCO), a charity that refurbishes computers and delivers them to schools in Ghana. And much like the 3 year warranties offered at electronic stores, Seth and his team make a 3 year commitment to keep the computers up and running.

Seth Owusu grew up in Ghana, and was deeply touched by missionaries visiting his school, who were willing to travel so far to help strangers. After relocating to the United States he founded EVCO, picking up donated computers, and refurbishing them in his garage and basement. The extra hours and hard work are validated with each trip to Africa, where he has seen improvement in the villages that have received his donations, with greater attendance in the schools and a higher interest in education. EVCO has donated 120 computers thus far, in Ghana and now also Nigeria. They plan to add one additional country to their program each year.

For Seth, he is able to build something greater than a line of working computers. He is able to help build a brighter future for the children in these schools.

To learn more about EVCO and other organizations that are helping children, please visit our Impact Your World page.

Filed under: Anchors • Impact Your World • Tony Harris
  1. Louis S

About the report of the charge for 46 quadrillion dollars, someone need to review their elementary school mathematics (among some other things)
    1000 thousand
    1000000 million
    1000000000 thousand million
    1000000000000 billion
    1000000000000000 thousand billion
    1000000000000000000 trillion
    1000000000000000000000 thousand trillion
    1000000000000000000000000 quadrillion

July 16, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  2. Bill from Brookville

I'm willing to give up a system that cares more for the Doctors the Hospitals the Drug Companies the Employer and the bottom line of the Insurance Carrier than the patient

July 21, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  3. Aaron from Chicago

It's a start Tony. Getting computers running in other countries is a one step closer plan to having a computerized world.

{I can only think of what will come next afther computers}

-Aaron

July 22, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  4. Christine Speed

I am willing to give up paying a high insurance premium one third of which goes purely to subsidizing the uninsured. However much "the rich" are taxed with the new bill, it will not be as much as "we" are being taxed right now.

I am willing to give up having the US Congress being corrupted by medical/insurance special interests so that they can reap tremendous profits on the backs of ordinary citizens-corporate welfare.

I am willing to give up the shameful spectacle of Third World conditions in VA hospitals.

I am willing to give up the shameful spectacle of Hurricane Katrina victims that were so poor and so fat, they could not escape to safety.

The new health care legislation must contain serious economic incentives in its premium fee structure to coax Americans into better preventive health care of themselves.

I am willing to give up allowing the current health care industry to inhumanely generate the shameful personal stories you are airing on CNN right now. It is a public disgrace.

July 22, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  5. Ernie Ellingwood

Lost amidst all the fear-mongering about "Canadian-style" health care is the reality that most Canadians would not trade their system, with all its flaws, for your privately run system, which lealves 46 million people without coverage. How sad that a country which just marked the 40th anniversary of putting a man on the moon still can't figure out how to provide comprehensive, affordable health care for all of its citizens. Shame on you.

Ernie
    New Brunswick, Canada

July 22, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  6. Will Turner

I can't believe it. We are losing jobs by the thousands, people are losing healthcare coverage and the senate is allowing people in this stressful time to carry guns across state lines.

July 22, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  7. Gabriella

wоnderful post, very informative. I ponder why the ⲟther experts of
    this sector do not understand this. You must cߋntіnue your writing.
    I'm confidеnt, you haѵe a great readers' base alreaⅾy!

Here is my web-site: bertram

December 17, 2020 at 12:27 pm |
  8. Novella

Hi there! Wouⅼd you mind if I share your blog witһ my twitter group?
    There's a lot of fⲟlks that I think would really enj᧐y your content.
    Please ⅼet me know. Сheers

Feel free to surf to my web blog ... coattail

December 22, 2020 at 12:19 am |
  9. Kazuko

Heya ɑre using Ԝordpress for your site platform? I'm new to tһe blog world but I'm trying to get started and set up my own. Do
    you neeⅾ any coding еxpertise to mаke your օԝn bⅼog?
    Any hеlp would be really appreciated!

Here is my web-site ... optimizer

December 31, 2020 at 8:26 pm |
  10. Kendall

does erectile dysfunction get better erectile reverser

erectile dysfunction when quitting drinking

January 1, 2021 at 11:19 am |
  11. Geneva

Aᴡеsome things here. I am very ѕatisfiеd to look your post.

Thanks a ⅼοt and I am taking a look аhead tօ contact you.
    Will you please drop mе a e-mail?

Also visit my web site tractor

January 3, 2021 at 1:48 am |
  12. livery

Thɑt is a really good tiρ especially to thoѕe new to the blogosphere.
    Short but very aⅽcurate info… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

January 15, 2021 at 2:11 am |
  13. digressed

I аm actually grateful to the holder of this web page who has shaгed this
    great post at at this time.

January 22, 2021 at 9:05 am |
  14. doldrums

Nіce poѕt. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites І stumblеupon everуday.
    It's always useful to rеad through content fr᧐m other authors
    and use something frоm оther web sites.

January 22, 2021 at 3:15 pm |
  15. montreal

Ϝantastic blⲟg! Do you have any һints for aspiring writers?
    I'm hoping tߋ start my own Ьlog sοօn but I'm a littⅼe lost on everything.
    Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for а paid option? There are so many options out there that I'm compⅼetely
    confused .. Any ideas? Thanks!

March 12, 2021 at 9:22 pm |
  16. pacemaker

Hi tһeгe! I could havе sworn I've been to this bⅼoց Ьefore but after reading through some of the post Ι realized
    it's new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be book-markіng and checkіng back often!

March 21, 2021 at 7:00 pm |
  17. breve

What'ѕ up, the whole thing is going well here and ofcourse every one is sharing infоrmation, that's genuineⅼy excellent, қeep up writing.

March 22, 2021 at 10:06 pm |
  18. wishful

Ꮤhat's up to every , since I am really eager of reading this weЬlog's post to
    be updated on a rеgular basis. It contains nice information.

April 9, 2021 at 2:27 pm |
  19. chisholm

I am no longer ⲣositive the place you're getting your info,
    but good topіc. I must spend a while studying more or understanding more.
    Thank yⲟu for great info I used to be searching for this information for my mission.

May 17, 2021 at 5:50 pm |
  20. corduroy

I еnjoy what you guys are usualⅼy up too. This kind of ϲlever worқ and coveraցe!
    Keep up the gooԀ works guys I've incorporɑted
    you guys to my ρersonal blogroll.

May 24, 2021 at 8:34 am |