Today on CNN Newsroom

July 18th, 2009

Journalism Loses a Legend

Former CBS anchor Walter Cronkite died Friday in his New York home, CBS reported. He was 92.

Join us this morning in the CNN Newsroom with TJ Holmes and Betty Nguyen as we look back on Cronkite's incredible career. 6am ET/3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: In the Newsroom
  1. Pete

I grew up listening to Walter Cronkite and have always missed his honest reporting. I certainly hope that Congress pauses for a moment of silence for him. This was a man who truly deserved that honor and respect.

July 18, 2009 at 7:09 am |
  2. Edward M. Bauerle

I don't think in my life another indivdual other than my parents had as much of an enfluence on who I was as a man. Mr. Cronkite showed us a path. Told us what was on that path, and how the path came to be. I might not have taken the path every time, but I knew it was there, and I knew it was there because Walter told us it was. He gave us that trust in the news. He didn't make the news, he reported it, and we all trusted what he said.

I just hope the powers that be will show as much respect to the death of the most trusted man in your business as you showed Michael Jackson. And I also hope you spend as much time on legacy as you did Michaels....It would be a total disrespect if you don't...

July 18, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  3. Mitchell Mase

In November 1982 I was a new San Franciscan just hired by The Hotel Mark Hopkins as maitre d' at Top of The Mark. At happy hour my first day a dapper older gentleman approached and asked if Mr. Cronkite was waiting. Yeah sure, I thought. Then it hit me...he's Herb Caen, the columnist, and this is for real. Got back to the entrance just in time to greet Walter Cronkite who replied with a booming "GOOD EVENING". What a thrill and he couldn't have been nicer too.

July 18, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  4. Todd WIlliams

Everyone remembers Walter Cronkite from the CBS Evening News, but he also hosted a show on CBS called "The 20th Century". It highlighted current achievements science and technology. That show inspired myself and several others I know to pursue careers in science and engineering. His impact on us has been huge.

I met him once at a grueling 4+ hour book signing at Mystic Seaport in CT. When I finally got up to him he was as jovial and friendly, even after sitting at that desk for what must have seemed like an eternity. He was in a much better frame of mind that most of the people standing in line.

He will be sadly missed.

July 18, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  5. michael armstrong sr.

Old reporters never die they just fade away leaving behind a lifetime of memories Walters in heaven playing cards with Howard Cosell and Paul Harvey these legendary news casters made history.

July 18, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  6. Linda Bergren

The story about the ND man whose car was robbed is awful. The person who robbed him must not be from the area, or is new to the area. In the Bismarck, ND area most people do not lock their cars and they will leave the keys in it. While that can't be done in Chicago or LA, people here do it all the time because it has traditionally been a much safer place. In the winter folks leave their cars running too. Nobody steals them. ND is a kind and trustworthy place to live. Too bad this thief is ruining that.

July 18, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  7. Mary

I was in Huntsville, Al visiting a family member who was employed by the Space Program. We carried our children back to Huntsville where we had previously lived to watch with friends and family.

July 18, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  8. Joanna

I was pregnant with my first child when the men landed onthe moon in l969. I was overdue, but while waiting for the splashdown, I went into labor. I refused to go to the hospital until I saw them safely land in the ocean. My husband was a nervous wreck, but I held out and after the splashdown, headed for the hospital. My son is 40 next week. I still remember that great moment of his birth and the moon landing.

July 18, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  9. MaryEllen Zeppuhar

I remember exactly where I was when Walter Cronkite reported Armstrong's walk on the moon. I was home from college sitting on our living room floor in front of our TV. A college friend of mine (an aspiring photographer) took a picture of the event from the TV screen. He later gave me a copy of the photo. I still have it somewhere.

In another event that I remember, Mr. Cronkite got very angry on the air with staff who gave him premature information, which he reported, about the Kennedy assassination. You should find that clip. For me to remember it all these years later, it must have been something!

July 18, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  10. Dan Fleury

READING WALTER CRONKITE'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY FOR ME SHED A LITTLE LIGHT ON THE MAN'S HISTORY AND IMPECCABLE TRAINING. HE WAS FIRST AND FOREMOST A WORDSMITH. I ENJOYED THOUGHROUGHLY HOW EASLIY HE PAINTED PICTURES FOR US WITH HIS USE OF WORDS AND NO PLACE IS IT MORE EVIDENT THAN IN HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY "A REPORTER'S LIFE".

WALTER NOW SHARES A PLACE IN HEAVEN WITH COLLEAGUES LIKE CHARLES KURALT, TIM RUSSERT AND PETER JENNINGS. THE WORLD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME WITHOUT YOU WALTER, BUT I SOMEHOW FEEL BETTER KNOWING THAT YOU ARE WATCHING OVER US.

July 18, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  11. Valerie

This reporter is a Icon to many generations. My mother was born in the same year that Mr. Cronkite .... her birh date (Mar. 26, 1916)
    She is now passed away in the same month as he July
    (July 29, 1999) but, on another day.
    I recall the time as a child at 6:00 my mother and father would sit down to watch the news after dinner .
    Black and white rabbit ear RCA Television Set

July 18, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  12. robyn caffrey keyser west virgina 26726

dear ' betty
    im so sorry to here about this
    i wish my mother and father was still here, they loved him, when we first got the black and white tv walter cronkite was on it always

July 18, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  13. Alan

STOP calling him Uncle Walter! I have never, ever heard him referred to as Uncle. He was a real news man back before the news became show business. We now have Fox with the hard right show biz report, MSNBC for the left, and CNN is the marshmallow fluff filling.

July 18, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  14. Greg, Ontario

What I can't figure out with such a great journeyman to learn from how did today's anchors turn out to be so much more glitter than content? Even up here in Canada he was watched because he gave us the facts.
    Today you people show us an interview with someone and then tell us what we just heard, like we don't speak English. Do have any idea how infuriating that is? Or even worse is when you give us your opinion on the news you are reporting by talking to your (politically correct) appointed co host.
    Walter Cronkite was a real journalist and anchor man. Compared to what we have today I would have to say the term anchorman/woman became obsolete with his retirement.

July 18, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  15. Roger W. Cronkite

Born in the late 30's and growing up, no one could pronounce my last name. Then came along Walter and everyone could pronounce my name. Now that he has been off the news since 1981 the younger generation has no clue. In my estimation he was the worlds greatest newscaster of all times. I'm sure he will be remembered by all who was privileged to have known of him. Always known to me as Uncle Walter, RIP – (no relation)

July 18, 2009 at 12:33 pm |