Today on CNN Newsroom

July 20th, 2009

What Would You Do to Survive?

We’re seeing people take some unique measures to make ends meet.  A Teaneck, New Jersey woman is hoping a bake sale can help forestall foreclosure of her home, for example.  What are some creative things you’ve done to make extra money?

Chime in by commenting.  We are going to try to read your comments during the show today.

1. marla-NH

I hear the good women of 'burbia, country club set are turning to turning trcks and stripping. Amazing how even in bad times, men can be relieved of their money for sex.

July 20, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr.

Im a disabled person living on 674.00 a month the most creative thing a disabled person can do is try to keep there benefits coming in each month because of the high demand for food stamps recertification for the disabled are being delayed I wrote my governer Rick Perry and got next day reaction hopefully helping all the disabled in Texas he's a good governer that does care for his people how about your governers are they worthy of your votes.

July 20, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  3. Gabriel Rodriguez

Good Morning, Tony i if you can convey to the President Mr. Obama please sell Health Care to the Rich as Insurance as a Wealth Prevention Program. Rich people don’t care to pay for Health Care Insurance Premium due to the fact that they understand the trade off of not having it. These people only care in protecting their Wealth and the transferring of it. They will pay 1% of their wealth to protect 99% of it. This is an easier sell then higher tax fear.

July 20, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  4. Jon Vincent

Take care of my family at all costs, because with out them there is no survival

July 20, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  5. Jennie (Lewisville, TX)

My boyfriend and I loaded our 2000+ cd collection into iTunes...then sold them individually on eBay. We paid our rent for two months from the sales.

July 20, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  6. tim

Well Tony i have to do alot of bad stuff to survive. I do labor work for a living. So i am doing small landscapeing jobs for money. I do have to say tony that i work with everyday people everyday and the economy is NOT getting better it's getting worse. People are tighter with there money then they have been in the past. It's realy bad out there and i can feel it getting worse every day. I feel like on cnn you are not reporting the truth about whats going on out there. Im lucky i have family that can help me out. I have seen bad things over the last year people homelessn familys returning to dangerous parts of mexico because they can not work and can not get help.

July 20, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  7. Jimmy

The local governments choose these times to crack down on people having garage sales and trying to make a few bucks here and there by tightening up regulations on trying to bill them as businesses and such.

Notice further attempts to squeeze more money out of the low to middle class, who are really struggling harder to survive.

There is a special place in hell for these godless bastards.

July 20, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  8. Sheldon G. Bardach

Dear Tony:
    What is the problem if people with employer health care plans opt out for a public heath care plan? They will still have to pay for the public plan and the employer will be relieved of the need to pay their contribution for employee heath care, or might even contribute to it.

It's better all around.

July 20, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  9. tim

I think the time has come for cnn to stop promoteing obama and stick to the news. Cnn says that obama has "momoentum" on health care now if that momentum is the public health care option going down in flames i would say there right. Everyday CNN says the recovery has started yet the reality is it has got much worse. I question if the CNN money team realy knows what there doing jerry,the lady cnn has hired to promote health care you know tony the one you held hands with and prayed for a public option. They are no good they lie. At cnn you walk a fine line between telling people what they want to hear and telling the truth. Could you show me these green jobs cnn? can you show me these 100,00 jobs saved. Can you back up your claim that this is mile 19 of a marathon or your just the runner that entered the marathon to be cool and they droped out after 2 miles? Most trusted name in news forget the trusted part is cnn even new? or is it just entertainment i think the latter.

July 20, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  10. Samuel Vaughan

Compared to PFC Bergdaghl i'm doing great although laid off. This young man serving his country deserves our care and attention. Americans never ever leave a "Brother" alone. I respect family wishes concerning him. But deep,deep down inside i'm trying very hard to help him get back to his forces and home. I will not rest unless and until a deal is made. My rational is simple: I fought in Vietnam this sort of thing haunted us daily...now again a lost soldier. The feeling of helplessness is daunting. My support remains solid and true. for PFC Bergdaghl. Im summation, let it be known no one messes with Americans and i mean no one.
    Regards Tony
    Sam Vaughan

July 20, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  11. Dee in sunny (and somewhat wet) Florida

Don't worry. Once the folks with all the money have managed to put the rest of us "in our place", the economy will begin to struggle back.

We all just got too "uppity" for the rich to tolerate!

But until that time, or until the people FINALLY get really sick of bandages (bake sales, kids selling their toys) and demand that such things are not necessary, the economy will not heal.

And to think that ANYONE in America would lose their HOME, or that AMERICAN kids would have to sell their toys (or maybe just lose them when the family is evicted) is a national disgrace and should make every single American angry!

July 20, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  12. gloria lewis

The one most effective way is to put the kids in one room ,and rent out a room ,turn the garage into an efficiency and rent it out .Move in with a relative and consolidate the bills .Yes the first thing that will come out of everyones mouth is i need my space or i can get along with my mom or my sister or grandmother .Lets face it we will never get along with everyone in our families .Guess what you have to pick your battles understand we are at war with the economy and the economy is winning .We cannot surrender we have to make the necessary ajustments to survive this fight
    For those who dont understand whats going on ,the worst is yet to come i am not trying to scare anyone ,i am just trying to give everyone a heads up .As for myself i cut my insurance to the basic plan ,i also got the cheapest cellphone ,i cancel my son health and dental insurance .I also went back to renting , this house is about 60% smaller than the house i previously .I was more fortunate than some over 3 years ago i saw this mess coming ,i knew i had to get out from under my house .I did not make a big profit but i was able to get out and avoid loosing it like everyone else did .I i was not smart enough 3 years ago i would be in trouble right now .I thank god i saw this coming .

July 20, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  13. ronm

I will donate 10 cents.
    Its very simple Tony.
    A 10 cent tax on all canned or bottled soft drinks.
    It would generate between 6 & 8 billion $$$.
    The question is do the politicians have the strength to stand up to the Soda industry lobbyists, and does CNN have the b***s to stand up to an advertiser. My guess is Not.
    But qudos if you do!

Ron

July 21, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  14. john

nothing at all. because a good part of those left out of health care i believe are young and it is there decision to go without health care at this point abd time in their lives

john
    Boston MA

July 21, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  15. Charlie Faulkner

Tony I hear that universal health care works just fine in Europe, Japan, and Canada. why are we still talking about it in America, or better yet....why can't americans enjoy the same health care as our representatives in congress?
    Yes I'd willing to pay more in taxes for health care for everybody....there is no free ride.

July 21, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  16. Kathy

Nothing. The American people have given up enough. The health care bill as it is now will dump most of the financial responsibility for the health care onto the states, so our federal taxes wont go up to cover health care, our state taxes will. Are you willing to give HALF OF YOUR PAYCHECK to the gov't to pay for health care? I'm not. Stop the spending.

July 21, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  17. shirley junior

Dear Tony, I am willing to have more money taken through incresing income tax. I feel very strong about the need of "Health " insurance for all american's.

We as a people need to look at the big picture, if we are to remain the leading nation in the world we need to be health people, sick people can not be "Leader's"

July 21, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  18. Gary

The VA Health System has a backlog of over 1 million cases. What part of "The Government Can't Run a Health System" do we not understand?

July 21, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  19. Antonio

I would definitely pay higher taxes to make world-class health care accessible to everybody in our nation!

July 21, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  20. Aaron

I'm 22 and I would pay more taxes! I live in Long Beach, CA and were I just found out we just lost our MedCal which will put alot of people without health care. Its for our Health the whole world has some kind of health care plan except us. Its sad when you see a five years look like he 3000lbs.Everyone Should shut and agree to something.

July 21, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  21. Felix

Why do you have to give up anything? Is it not the intent of this plan to provide more options, and control price at the same time?

Tony yours is a leading question, intended to raise fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Most of industrialized world has UNIVERSAL healthcare, and rank above Americas says the World Health Organization. The powers that be in the United States of America are criminally negligent as they continue to destroy any glimmer of hope for the poor, the unemployed, and the unfortunate Americans with "pre-conditions" which disqualify them from further coverage.

60% of bankruptcy in America is caused by Healthcare bills, and the status quo seems to be the only answer?

July 21, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  22. Barbara Kulwich

I would be willing to give up waste and fraud. My husband was on Medicaid due to renal failure and doctor's billing offices made charges for services that had not been provided–their response to my questions–"we are allowed to charge for that". Currently my private insurance wastes more in administrative costs trying to avoid paying a claim than the cost of the claim. Eliminate waste and fraud and health care would be affordable for everyone.

July 21, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  23. donald Carlson

Tax the lobbyist. Make it a very high tax.

July 21, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  24. Laura from Willis

When we voted for President Obama, we were enthused and eager, and "yes we can" was on the menu.
    Today, only 6 months later, we are squabbling and the word seems to me, to be..." nah, never mind, I don't WANT to."
    How sad!
    We knew then, that Smoker's would be taxed. We have been.
    For the Children's Health System. I was happy to oblige.
    Now, the wealthy feel they are too good to have their kazillion dollars taxed. They have been on the Gravy Train since the BUSH days. Shame on them.
    Thanks for listening.

July 21, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  25. Dan Matlock

Out of work for over a year. Have submitted to my mortgage company 2 weeks after Obama announced the ability to do so. Have done numerous follow–ups with mortgage company (name withheld because I am waiting to see if I can sue them), to no avail. As I am barely making my mortgage payments every month since then, due to my unemployment (that runs out in August), it only appears as though the mortgage company is waiting 'like vultures' until I can't make my payments any more because of the loss of my benefits to forclose on my home, and put me out on the street, none of it makes sense. I talked on the air with KNPR about this issue. No help from the HUD representative except for the fact that they have over 18.5 million for people that don't have or have lost their homes to buy mine after it has been forclosed on. My wife could sustain a lower payment until I can obtain unemployment, but it doesn't appear as though the mortgage company is being very proactive (despite my repeated attempts to contact), and they are not communicating with us to any degree. The last communication with them gave us 3 alternatives.
    1 – Interest only at 2.5% with 'sustainable' income (not defined) and no length of time declared.
    2 – SHORT SALE at which time they would resale my home for a lesser amount. WHY don't they refiniance ME then for a lower estimated value (they said could be obtained by an appraiser)... makes no sense.
    3 – Give up the keys! AND walk away... THEN they write off the loan and resell the house. WHY again not me???

I would like someone to address these 3 items and explain them to me.

P.S. the PRODUCE of the KNPR program I was on will be meeting with me later this month on a follow-up interview about these items.

July 21, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  26. gem

I'm a 57 year old white male making less than 100k a year. I have no children, don,t plan to have any and if I did they would go to private schools. I always went to private schools thanks to my father working two jobs. Now theres two major factors in raising a child!. What is the problem with the rich paying for health care. I have paid and will probably continue to pay property taxes that pay for schools I have never used or plan to use . I don't even get a tax credit for non use of the school system. Further more why do the rich get social security when they don't need it. All I ask is give me the same logic, which I doubt I will get. Don't give me reasoning such as we paid into it or why are we are paying for someone else. That surely doesn't apply to single or married couples without children when it comes to property taxes. The bottom line is government protects the rich and forces the middle class pay for everyone even though they only make less than 5% of the total income.

July 21, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  27. David, Lansford PA

I would give up a portion of my paycheck.. I wouldn't mind having an extra $20 taken out every pay to ensure I get proper care. It's funny how healthcare now emphasizes on Medical, Dental and Vision. Well, i'm 30 years of age and hearing impaired. My ears aren't covered. Pretty sad.

July 21, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  28. Dave

I hear ya marla! Don't think it's just women.. I'm 30 years old, college educated with a job in my field. I cna't afford my student loan payments. They are killing me even with the Income based repayment thing now. I quit smoking back in February, started working out, and planning on getting in my undies nad working as a go-go shot boy at local night clubs an hour north of me. Thank god I got the body of a 20 year old still.

July 21, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  29. Bruce West

Paying a little more in taxes for a government health insurance

plan is cheaper than going bankrupt because an HMO canceled

the policy during your hospital stay.

July 21, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  30. Anna Smith

One thing that never comes up in these stories about people who have lost their jobs and now don't have insurance is what their savings habits were prior to their job loss. I went through the loss of my job (a downturn in my entire industry that still hasn't picked up), a divorce, and the transition to an entirely new occupation (still in that transition) and what has gotten me through the toughest financial time in my life is the fact that I SAVED in anticipation of a difficult financial time. I figured out, after having lived through, as an adult, the downturn in the early 80" and early 90's, that another was likely coming and maybe even four or five more in my lifetime. Common sense told me I needed to prepare for these times as if it mattered because it does. This meant foregoing more times that I want to recall, and putting the money in the bank instead.

We Americans are some of the all time worst savers on the planet, spending everything as we get it (I've done it.) and then looking to the "Government" i.e., taxpayers, average Americans like me who are already drawing down on our own savings and sometimes scrambling every day to generate income in order to cover our own health care, to bail us out for our lack of frugality. I am frequently sympathetic, but my sympathies are also tempered by the question, what did they do to help themselves, before they got into this pickle? Before they came looking to their fellow Americans to cover their bills?

I understand that sometimes there are cases where despite their best efforts people need help, in which case, give them the (my and your) money. But I also believe in the adage the Lord helps those who help themselves and I would like to know what people have done to help themselves before they come asking for my hard earned dollars – the ones I now won't be saving for my daughter's education or my retirement (so I don't have to rely on the taxpayers) or even the vacation I haven't had in over five years.

July 21, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  31. John J Kaiser

To live a better life and qualittty of life i would imagrate to AustraliaWher my retirement dollar is worth two Austrailian dollars.They have a very good health ,syatem due in part theyare not blowing billions of wasted dollars on countless wars.

July 21, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  32. Jose Banchs

We should march on Washington for Healthcare Reform Now.

July 22, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  33. Alice Adams

Although Ron Paul says health care is not a right, he's incorrect. The Constitution guarantees "life" and "the pursuit of happiness." No one worried about their life or losing their home for medical care can adequately pursue happiness, and without medical care, people can lose their lives. I would be willing to pay higher taxes as my European friends do to insure health care for all Americans. I am in a "socialized health care" plan now. It's called Medicare and it'sbeen working very well since 1965. Let's stop listening to the conservative nay-sayers and weigh in for cheap health care for everyone.

July 22, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  34. Richard Beyerl

On the Health Care Reforn, I feel that we should not have to give up anything. Make our politicans stand up the the BIG Insurance companys and make them do what is right. This is not about helping the big corporations that have been sticking it to us for years, but about we the people.
    If they want to pay for this bill we can pull our butts out of Iraq and save $10 billion a month. Also stop subsidizing big corporations, especially the ones that are a huge contributor to our health problems; corn, meat growers and packers who fill our food with growth hormones, steroids and other drugs that make animals grow twice as big in half the time.
    Make politicans give up their kick backs from the drug and insurance companies and other big corporations and work for the people.

July 22, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  35. Joyce Gilliam

I'd give up the premiums I pay for higher taxes. The fellow that was interviewed from Canada made that point. Yes, taxes higher, but no health care premiums. What a novel idea.

July 22, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  36. faye

Tony, there are 4 things the government can do to make insurance coverage better. THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT HAVE TO SPEND A DIME TO INSURE THE WORKING UNINSURED.

1. allow the insured to add non-conforming family member to their insurance policy. A parent could add an older child who is unable to get insurance or a sibling. Of course they would have to pay the increased premium.

2. Open up the programs that insure members of Congress and allow those who wish to join to do so by paying the full amount of the coverage.

3. Demand the insurance companies that provide insurance to government workers create a plan which is income based for the working uninsured.

4. Stop forcing retirees who have insurance through their retirement into Medicare. Medicare for them should be a stop gap for catostrophic illnesses.

But this will never happen because the Insurance companie wil not be able to make big profits.

July 22, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  37. Donna Nickles

I just completed a work project in Toronto, Canada. The one thing we DON"T need is government controlled health care. Just ask a Canadian. They have to wait months for surgeries if they are "allowed" to have a surgery at all. Going to the emergency room there or an urgent care facility gets you mediocre care. My friend had food poisoning and I went with him to the emergency room. He hadn't kept any liquids on his stomach for over 24 hrs and had a fever of 102. They gave him one bottle of iv, did some blood tests and sent him home. 3 days later they called to tell him he also had a severe urinary tract infection. He had one kidney. He was still running a fever or 101.

He almost died and was deathly ill for 3 months after that. We have seen how great HMO's have worked, now we want to give even more control to the government. This is nuts. The government constantly proves that they are out of control fiscally.

This is asking too much of the fat too few tax paying Americans in this country. It is time to charge all the illegal immigrants for health care , education and everything else they get for free.

July 22, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  38. Maggie Ferriter Campbell MD

I gave up my first marriage which did not survive the bills when our child was diagnosed with leukemia when we were uninsured. I then became a physician. I then gave up getting payments from private insurance companies when I ran my own practice. So many have given up so much! I want to give up on having to provide futile care for fear of lawsuits. I want to give up on having to provide inferior care when a greed-based health insurance company denies a reasonable and proven treatment. I will give up some income –in exchange for health insurance for reasonable care for all citizens.

July 22, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  39. Sandra Wood

I am 63 years old and retired. When I retired last year I thought that I would have enough money but everything has gone up in price.Now I find that I have to return to work. They have a program here that is called the Foster Grandparent Program. You work at a school as a TA,
    for four hours a day.They provide a free lunch. With out it I don't know what I would have done.They only pay about $210 per month plus gas.
    It has saved me and my disabled son. As far as the health plan that
    is trying to go threw right now,I pray that it does.I am on somthing threw Human Services that is called CMSP. I pray that the blue dogs don't get there way.I pray they don't. My co/pay is $220. I cannot pay this.It keeps me from going to the doctor when I am sick.
    I am praying for our President and his efforts to help. Thankyou,Sandra

July 22, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  40. Charly

I WOULD GIVE UP WATCHING STATIONS SHOWING BIASED, NEGATIVE AND INACCRUATE VIEWS ABOUT AMERICA'S HEALTH CARE PROBLEM THAT ARE FUNDED BY THE AMA AND DRUG COMPANIES....

July 22, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  41. Diane Lewis

I live in Canada. Universal Health Care works! I can't believe all the people – in congress and elsewhere) who have not done their homework to know the benefits and the peace of mind health care reform will give them. Right now! Forget about savings later down the road. Right now!

It's paid for a deductions at source, according to everyone's needs. And that is so fair. If we're supporting those who have no income and connot contribute, so be it. Isn't that what life is all about? Helping your neighbor?

Establish walk'in clinics, health care centers, an 811 number to access excellent health resources at any time of the day or night ... And teach prevention. The doctors, the educators the people should all be taught prevention.

Canadian doctors DO care about their patients! They teach them preventiion . They are not trying to make a profit and their being sick.

Please, people. Do your homework. IT WORKS!

July 22, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  42. Jasmine

Okay, so let me just say that I am a 20 year old college student in Kentucky and recently went to Germany where there is universal healthcare and free college because the people pay higher taxes! Even though I am on my father's health insurance, I feel that some sacifices should be made so that everyone can get something. So if I was in the position to actually give something up then I would take higher taxes.

July 22, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  43. Vellia

I am already hanging in to survive . I lost my home in short sale I am
    filing bankruptcy, both my husband and are retired on a permament
    disability. My daughter is also disable. 90% of the time I am sick
    always with doctors appoints withmy daughter or myself or my husband. I hope with this reform doctors will not give up their practice.
    I am happy with their care I am sorry but I cannot give up any thing I don't have. But every month I don't know if I will receive my hard earn
    benefits I workrf all my life social security.

Enough, is enough I don't want to sound heartless but all illegals
    have to be deported tax payers are tired are paying .

July 22, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  44. Carol

For the first time in my life i had to file bankruptcy and i had to return my car to the car lot and say i am sorry i have never had to return a car before. The money i was making car payments with now goes for the house and gase lights soon i will have to have my brother and sister-in-law and my mother-in -law as well as a mentail couple i take care of all move into my home thats the only was we will be able to surive. Like in the great depression maybe 12 to a home. We also want to let you know we don't want goverment health care. and yes we are thinking of moving to Australia.Thank you Carol

July 22, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  45. nancy

Thats a loaded question... I already pay 650.00 a month for insurance, I cant afford to give up anything...our income is below 100,000 a year.
    I love my insurance coverage the way it is, and I dont want the government to come in and take it over. I dont see any talk about reducing my payments or helping me pay my bills, just longer waits for service, or testing and surgery, more taxes. I also dont see why the whole health care industry has to change, to cover the 40- million who are not covered...And the person who believes that with that amount of people flooding the health care industry, we will get more time with our doctors, is just not thinking clearly..

July 22, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  46. thomas ayton

Tony, I am willing to give up anything I have to see this country of ours fulfill it's true potential as the greatest nation the world has ever seen! To get there we must all give a little, but if the people of this country are so naive to beleive the gop, and the powers of wealth and greed ,who are spreading the politics of fear once again to keep the status quo, then I am afraid we never will get there!

July 22, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  47. School Bus Driver Florida

I was watching Anita Dunn and you two talking and what caught my ear was the question was weather or not she would take that health care plan the government is preparing and she stuttered, then she made the statement "something is better than nothing, " Sorry Anita, that goes along with a hospital here who has us sign a waiver saying if they misdiagnose us our loved ones will only be eligable for 10,000 dollars compensation. Sorry I am not willing to go without . And thanks to my "new tax bracket" that they put me on my 6 year old is no longer eligible for the medicade he had so he can get his glasses, and go to the specialist who took care of him while he was having hearing troubles. I went from no copay for my son to a 1,300 dollar copay. I drive a school bus, and when the year is out I have no income. So is something better than nothing? No not when Doctors are in control of how and when they will allow treatment.
    My personal insurance goes from one person 18 dollars to my entire family 300 dollars, so either we have an entire family covered or we struggle with bills, and food. which we were cut back because of Obama's "Tax Bracket."

July 22, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  48. annie f.

I am a married 42 year old women with 2 kids. Born in '67 with no walls or chambers in my heart. I had many exporitory/ reconstructive surgeries from birth ' til age 13. Then got a pacemaker at age 13. I felt better. At 15 I had a rod put into my back due to Scoliosis along with a new pacemaker or battery or whatever. I've had so many heart related
    surgeries and test done that I can't remember. I've alway had to have something (minor or major) done at least every year or two since birth.

With all of this said, I am terrified that this new health care bill will cause doctors not to see me if I am at a time without insurance . I'm also afraid that , oh maybe I could get seen or have the procedure that I need done IN TWO YEARS.

I've heard horror stories about people in Canada and other places.
    I understand things cost alot of money and I don't now know what it will take to make thing better but, I do know that I am afraid that this
    bill has the possibility to kill me.

July 22, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  49. Betty

The American Medical Association, the American Nurses Association, the pharmaceutical researchers and manufacturers, and the AARP all endorse the president's plan for health care reform. Who opposes it?......the insurance companies and the republican party. Go Figure!

July 23, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  50. Bob B

I LIVE IN PINELLAS COUNTY FL.THESE PEOPLE HERE HAVE NO PROBLEM VOTING IN A 1% SALES TAX INCREASE TO BUILD PARKS AND PLANT FLOWERS EVEN THOUGH MOST OF THE PARKS ARE EMPTY. WHY NOT A 1% FEDERAL TAX FOR HEALTH CARE.NOW THAT MAKES MUCH MORE SENSE TO ME.

July 23, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  51. Dee in sunny (and somewhat wet) Florida

What is wrong with those who think that everyone who is having financial difficulties "deserves it"?

Why have we become so mean?

And why are Americans not out protesting in the streets, like the people in other countries do when they are displeased? What are we afraid of?

July 23, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  52. Ann in St. Louis

Believe it or not, some idiot in my city organized a FUND RAISER for a family who lives in a half million dollar home with a pool, 3 SUV's because the husband has ALS (which is terrible, don't get me wrong!) and there are medical bills. They DO have health insurance and the wife works full time. BUT – they were concerns the family MAY have to downsize their home, give up the nice cars (including the 18 year old son who lives at home and does not attend school) and their competitive sports. (This event was noted by the St. Louis Post Dispatch.) The benefit was held at the end of May 2009 and their son attended an out of town sports event in June in West Palm, FL. Don't get me wrong. I feel terrible about the tragedy that has hit this family. But, to have a fund raising event for a family who lives well above the average family in the U.S. – well, that is vulgar. P.S. They are a lovely family. This is not a personal attack on them.

July 28, 2009 at 9:26 pm |
  53. computero

Recently I made a short visit to car dealer in KY(oxmoor ford)

am well aware that i lack brightness, but inspite of my status I was totally ignore by all in the dealer. (note: others came and were instantly and courteously accost).

I made another outing this time to (Town country Ford), this time i was approach by a very kind and polite salesman, inspite of my facade he offer his specialized talent.

Note: I bought the car brand new ford explorer

August 1, 2009 at 9:34 am |