Today on CNN Newsroom

July 25th, 2009

"It's 2 a.m. on Saturday morning... "

From writer Alycia Kaufmann:

It’s 2 a.m. on Saturday morning. My alarm just went off – time for work. No joke.

My name’s Alycia and I’m one of the writers for Betty and TJ. I get a lot of questions about what’s it’s like to write for the show, so here it goes:

It’s demanding, hypnotic, and exhilarating!

The job begins early, while many of you are sleeping and some of you true night owls are just getting started. I live in New York… I know, I’ve seen TOO MUCH hailing a cab at 2 a.m.!

The writing for the 6 a.m. ET show begins promptly at 3 a.m. – trolling the wires and pouring over new video. It ends at 11 a.m. with a producer team handover and a show meeting. I am the only writer for our Atlanta-based show here in New York, so for me that means a conference call and a vivid imagination. My version of “Skyping-in.”

During our meetings, we talk the highlights of the day and how we can progress those stories further, tomorrow’s big stories and how we’ll cover them.

My reward in the end: working with a great team to produce a wonderful show and a really long nap. You’re never too old for a good siesta.

Post by:
Filed under: In the Newsroom
  1. Cherry B

Thanks for sharing this. You do a super job!

July 25, 2009 at 6:04 am |
  2. Curtis Freeman

This thing between the police officer and Professor Gates isn’t about race as much as it is about two hot heads getting together at an unfortunate time.
    It’s time now to move on to the more important facing the nation!

July 25, 2009 at 7:11 am |
  3. joe m belleau

On the Police and the Professor,
    i don't care what color you are white, black or purple, if you fail to cooperate with the police YOU WILL GO TO JAIL. Anybody who has had experiences with the police knows this!

July 25, 2009 at 9:11 am |
  4. michael armstrong sr.

Sounds like delivering news papers having to be at work at 1am then roll up 500 news papers and then deliver each and every one of them to there destination I didnt like that job so much.

July 25, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  5. Sandy

Yes, it is grueling work and not the glamour and glitz many people perceive it to be. Several years ago, during an international pt of news during the Persian Gulf War, I was too writing and producing stories for first morning news for an ABC-Affiliate. Struggling to pour over and decipher AP wires and other sources, especially for day-to-day updates of war and what was said yesterday and what is said today, with migs and casualties and bombings and as it applies to "new" news. No one to actually call and verify information...It was very, very difficult and you had to pour over pages and pages of wire copy, news feeds, other station reporting and all the while keeping abreast of any breaking news that had to be written and reported on.

If you need any help, feel free to call, I am currently out of a job but I was a great producer/writer. If you want to help a fellow journalist find a job, I'm willing to move and give it 200 percent. You won't be sorry!

biggs_sandra!y@yahoo.com

July 25, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  6. Jerry Barton, from the South Poconos in PA

TJ, You asked what should Sarah Palin do after leaving her position as Governor? Well I heard Simon Cowel of American Idol needs someone to replace Paula Abdul, and Ms. Palin might be one of his choices as posted on AOL.

July 26, 2009 at 6:20 am |