Today on CNN Newsroom

August 4th, 2009

Soldiering On

If you're a regular visitor to the Team Kyra blog, you probably know she's a big supporter of TAPS - a group that helps families of fallen U.S. troops.

Well, Kyra just heard about a song called "Soldier On"; the folks behind it are donating half the song's proceeds to TAPS.

You can find more info on "Soldier On" right here.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Stacy

The GOP IS sending operatives into Dem Town Hall meetings...I thought Candy Crowely was a better reporter then to question if it is true, does she ever do any fact checking?

This morning, Politico reported that Democratic members of Congress are increasingly being harassed by “angry, sign-carrying mobs and disruptive behavior” at local town halls. For example, in one incident, right-wing protesters surrounded Rep. Tim Bishop (D-NY) and forced police officers to have to escort him to his car for safety.

This growing phenomenon is often marked by violence and absurdity. Recently, right-wing demonstrators hung Rep. Frank Kratovil (D-MD) in effigy outside of his office. Missing from the reporting of these stories is the fact that much of these protests are coordinated by public relations firms and lobbyists who have a stake in opposing President Obama’s reforms.

The lobbyist-run groups Americans for Prosperity and FreedomWorks, which orchestrated the anti-Obama tea parties earlier this year, are now pursuing an aggressive strategy to create an image of mass public opposition to health care and clean energy reform. A leaked memo from Bob MacGuffie, a volunteer with the FreedomWorks website Tea Party Patriots, details how members should be infiltrating town halls and harassing Democratic members of Congress:

August 4, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  2. Bud Skinner

Kyra,

THANK YOU for the attention to our fallen and our veterans. Keep it up.

August 4, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  3. Bill Hood

Kyra
    Please extend my condolences to fallen soldiers that you mentioned today
    Sgt Bill Hood Retired Ca National Guard
    May God Bless

August 4, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  4. Tirhone

Hello Kyra, It's nice to see that someone is really taking the "right" approach to recognizing the fallen soldiers in Iraq. Every day we hear the stats, but no one mentions their names or the families affected. Certainly the loss occurs in both places, but It's time that American respectfully honor the fallen. Thanks for your efforts and taking the initiative one telling the stories of the fallen and the families affected.

In November of 2007 I released a song titled "I Cried". In short it expresses the emotion of the soldier being at war and missing his family. The chorus reflects the words being said by the family members and reads:

I remember those days, when you were away,
    the things you used to say,
    made me cry,
    I cried every day.

My goal has been, and still will be to donate the proceeds from every copy sold to an organization that is genuinely helping the families of the fallen American soldiers. If you know of such an organization that is willing to accept please feel free to contact me. The song is available on iTunes from the artist, Tirhone. The Album is titled "I Cried – EP".

P.S.
    The song consists of one (1) curse word, and as a result I had to mark it explicit. I can send you copies if you so desire. The families of the fallen appreciates what you are doing.

Sincerely,
    Tirhone

August 4, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  5. Charlie Erickson

Wow, this is the first I'm hearing of TAPS, and of the song "Soldier On".

I'm going to take the time to read more of this organization, and give them a donation. I'd like to hear the song too.

Coming from a family whose male members all served our country, I understand the sacrifices made by those in uniform, and my heart goes out to all who have lost their uniformed ones.

My concern is also for those who return, as changed persons.

Charlie.

August 5, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  6. Fred

This is very inspirational, Kyra, the tribute to the soldiers who actually have suffered the wounds of war. The interview which I experienced in viewing was very touching to me even though I'm neither a soldier myself nor an American. Thanks for your great work!
    P.S. Cheers on Saturday.

August 6, 2009 at 8:21 am |
  7. becky lomax

Such a big deal over Hillary losing her temper..She's human

Don't think I've ever seen her lose it before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 11, 2009 at 2:45 pm |